Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

I actually think you are supposed to root for Keanu and Carrie Ann Moss gunning down all those people because anyone complicit with the system is an enemy of the revolution and deserves death within the world of the narrative. Keanu doesn't believe in civilians. They can all become agents at any moment anyway.

I guess you're supposed to initially, which why the twist Syd Midnight described was supposed to be so shocking? The 3 films as a whole though make it pretty explicit that the violent spree killers are not in fact the good people in the conflict. I always thought it was pretty obvious because what sort of person thinks it's ok to kill everyone indiscriminately like that? They were terrorists. I don't get how people could not see that. Even the idea of everyone as an agent of the system is straight out of anarchist manifestos from when they were setting off bombs at the turn of the last century.

E; I'm gonna shut up about this now, but basically Syd Midnight is correct and the movies alone basically says that anyone who thinks like the protagonists do are violent socially-maladjusted assholes. People who use the "Red Pill" metaphor unironically are beyond unself-aware, especially for people who bitch about the hold of pop culture and media on people.

Political Whores has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU