Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

divabot posted:

I've said before that you need to have not a very strong sense of self to fall hard for the Basilisk and the "copies of you are also you".

A huge factor is that "copies of you are also you" is one of the assumptions that makes Rationalist Immortality a possibility, so you have to believe it because if you don't you'll die. The same goes for a lot of the other insane stuff in the Yud canon like acausal trade. That's what makes the Basilisk so potent: there are plenty of obvious ways out of it, but taking any of them means giving up on the hope of eternal life.

The Lone Badger posted:

That's the other approach. Take a cheap off-the-shelf-AI and program it to say "what?" and "where's the tea?" and "women are inherently less rational and less intelligent than men." Nobody would be able to tell the difference from the original person, and from a philosophical perspective isn't that the same as being identical?

90s Cringe Rock posted:

lol if your foom can't reconstruct the missing bits from your blog posts and reddit account

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg29TuWo0Yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Pitch posted:

Real question: why does the basilisk even need to be so complicated as to involve :airquote: "timeless decision theory" etc?

I may or may not be a perfectly simulated consciousness running on a quantum hypercomputer in the distant future, and according to their scifi novel reasoning I almost certainly am since simulations outnumber reality. If I'm a simulation and I displease the computer, it will punish me harshly. Ergo, if I believe in this garbage, I should act in the computer's interests to avoid real punishment visited on myself immediately. Why do I need to care about whether other incarnations of myself are tortured? Is it just tied up in the mangled game theory of why the computer must and will follow through on its threats even though I'm long dead and I imagined those threats in the first place?

Because if timeless decision theory weren't true, the gangster computer god wouldn't be trying to influence the past with its simulations, because it can't, because that's stupid.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

stab stabby posted:

I think the fact that they call themselves "rationalists" still throws me off, since somehow I have an expectation that this stuff should at least be a little bit rational :(

If a group names itself something like that, that should be a huge red flag. You don't need to say how right you are in your goddamned name if you're actually right. So Rationalists, Objectivists, Scientologists, foreign policy Realists, etc etc.

The only exception is "______ realists" in philosophy, because they're actually in a debate over whether something is real or not.

BobHoward posted:

Everyone reading this thread should google the phrase gangster computer god at least once. These rationalist nitwits ain’t got nothin on Dec.

Oh yeah. Maybe don't do it at work though, on account of all the ethnic slurs.

Goon Danton has a new favorite as of 02:27 on Jul 3, 2018

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This is not universal. Race realists, for example are not debating whether race is real. They've already made up their minds on that part and a lot more besides.

Qwertycoatl posted:

But they're not in philosophy, they're in white hoods.

Yeah, they fall neatly into the first rule. It's a propaganda name to say "we're just being realistic about race," rather than any honest debate.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Zombie Roland Barthes is going to eat your face, dude

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

The world is an endless parade of meaningless lights and noises, and I must have an authority figure give me permission to understand them.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Death of the Author is for hacks who aren't creating anything but want to feel like they are.

Death of the Author is literally just "you don't need permission to notice things."

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Given his whole shtick revolved around being the conservative stereotype of what gay men are like, he's lucky his side getting rid of him came down to ignoring him, rather than what they usually do to gay people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

I'm sure you can easily provide the data that shows white people are more competent and less corrupt, oh wise rationalist who definitely isn't just back-rationalizing stereotypes

They'd just break out the figures on wealth inequality and incarceration rates. Evidence of racism is actually evidence that it's justified, if you squint and huff paint.