Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

Holy poo poo I knew about Sodini but this one is even crazier. A (regrettably) pro click. I can't imagine how the evolutionary study of altruism can explain this and other related mass shootings. Sodini and Rodger both had the common thread of being terrified of being virgins forever (even though Sodini was an aging man who had actually had sexual relationships in the past but thought of himself as "over the hump" and doomed to a lack of sex forever afterwards). I bet if this guy had the internet we'd see similar themes. Is it an ideological action? Is it poor context and generalization skills? Other MRAs considered people like Rodgers and Sodini to be "relatable" in terms of their motives and in fact praised them.

Is there any DE overlap with these kinds of reactions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

Count Chocula posted:

I've never heard of the group on the right.

Oh boy

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

Has anyone successfully run a gay fascist gimmick on NRx?

isn't that basically Yiannopoulis' shtick?

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

neonnoodle posted:

The interesting thing to me about "low status/beta/omega males" in the NRx universe is how it overlaps with PUA/MRA stuff.
One of the foundations of PUA/MRA philosophy is that feeeeeeemales in their :biotruths: :j: way prefer assholes/"alphas" and that patriarchy doesn't real because only alphas have any societal advantage.

It just stuns me that these guys have never heard of the Female Choice research during the 80s and 90s on various primate societies. We have multiple documented examples of female chimps leading the alpha males around in random walks until the male is tired, and then leading him to an area where he has an aggressive competitor, and while those two are fighting, skimps off to the bushes to mate with a "lower status" male primate who grooms her more frequently. Do they not know about basic sexual dimorphism in primates? They can't even get their pet theories right! I've only taken rudimentary bio courses to supplement my psych studies and even I know this. I try explaining this and other basic tenets of evo psych to my almost-TRP brother and he just goes "you don't get it man, evolutionary psychology says I'm hosed! I'm hosed!"

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

So if I'm cherry-picking that study correctly, what you're saying is that Nice Guys™ are a phenomenon that's been observed in nature :downs:

bretty much, except in nature the nice guys finish in the bushes, both parties terrified the alpha will return soon

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

I'm at work now and can't post a direct link, but on Stanford's youtube channel there's a pretty great lecture series on human behavioral biology by Dr. Robert Sapolsky. Aimed at beginner-level students, so very little heavy biochemistry stuff. Or check out one of his books, dude seems to be on top of this poo poo.

I recommend sapolsky's lectures. He may make a few glaring flaws (how he rails against behaviorism) but he helps to make many connections between constructs at the biological, evolutionary, and psychological levels.

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Why do you and Cingulate feel the need to constantly come to his defense? Especially when his evidence is some poo poo that happened in 19 loving 71 and the apparently matriarchal country of Israel.

im the barely legal but legally bangable time distance between haven house and the ecole polytechnique massacre

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

#nolivesmatter

holy gently caress!!! the absolute acest position on the issue! why did nobody think of this baller opt out before, it's the "i don't see color" of the 'tens and you should put it on a society 6 shirt quick before it memes out you 'ideas guy' of ethical posturing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He thought you were being serious

i also downloaded urbit in alpha, so im clearly idiot-adjacent