Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

How dare you quote [me] in context?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Jack of Hearts posted:

That's a pro click.

Authentically.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

"Virtue-signaling" is an idea at least as old as the Biblical pejorative sense of the term 'Pharisee.'

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

7. Vodka. Tonic. Gin. Tonic.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

As someone who has a history of crushing IQ tests (and yet has been crushed by addiction and poverty), I'm inclined to scoff at the usefulness of measuring IQ.

That said, I am unaware of any useful metric for defining "broad capability" or "general aptitude" or "probability of achieving happiness"

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Grace Baiting posted:

The only moral DMCA takedown is my DMCA takedown

I really thought the golden one was a transwoman, based on the video's preview image.

Boy howdy was I in for a shock when I clicked the thing.

Jigglypuff was unwatchable, however, and I went on to other things.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

divabot posted:

posted!

and y'know, i have been personally harassed, defamed and legally threatened by the church of scientology. i give zero fucks after that.

(why did the CoS come after me? This. Totally worth it.)

(my sysadmin on that site? Julian Assange. Wikileaks is, in fact, my fault - hosting my Scientology site was the practice run for dealing with over-resourced arseholes armed only with the facts. I will concede that this has worked out variably.)

Mr. G-d (you handsome devil), why did you lecture that poor young man in a barred-up farmhouse?

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because dumb lectures are boring as poo poo and you get nothing of value from it. If you want a treaty on other political views and not them clumsily inserted in a sci fi book.

I mean he you write an elaborate fan fic scenario to justify wasting your time then you do you.

I want to believe that your error is indicative of a smirking style

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The way the internet can capture, magnify, and harness the misery of the mentally ill is one of the worst parts of it, yes

See: pro-ana blogs, Targeted Individuals, efilists/antinatalists, /r/incels and other portions of the alt-right...

I don't know anything about self-described antinatalists, but I've always felt that avoiding having kids was both cool and good.

Do these people promote storming maternity wards, committing wholesale atrocity or something?

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Tobermory posted:

Hypothetical: assume Big Yud is correct, and his continued existence will spawn an entire subrace of tortured abominations who know nothing but pain. Quantify the amount of pain that each of these wretched souls feels, and multiply it by the number of individuals in that race who currently exist or will ever come into being. Assume that product is greater than the quantified amount of pleasure that Yud will feel in the rest of his life. In such a scenario, wouldn't the rational response be for Yud to kill himself, thus reducing the total amount of human suffering in the world?

Oh snap