Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Byde posted:

Is Alex Kiergegaard/icycalm an established Dark Enlightenment person? I know somebody actually made an Dark Enlightenment card pic or something at one point, but for obvious reasons like keeping my sanity I can't be arsed to go check through hell itself to find it.

If anybody is insane enough, there's this prelude to his "magnum opus", also known as the the worst page on the internet right :nms:here:nms:, if I linked it right.

He also stole a bunch of money via auction fraud long ago, just to get an idea of what he's like without having to go to that link to figure out his true fake-Nietzschen self.

Part of me finds it loving hilarious that someone thought taking Kierkegaard's name on as a pseudonym was a good idea. Especially when his personal philosophy is so violently opposite to good ol' Søren's writing. Let's compare:

Kierkegaard: The ultimate establishment of meaning is in reconciling the irrationality of faith with the human condition.

Fake Kierkegaard: Let's totally misread Nietzsche!

Kierkegaard: While faith is the highest point, man can be satisfied with the Ethical or Aesthetic if they are to pursue it fully.

Fake Kierkegaard: I am an ubermensch, so wire fraud is cool.

Kierkegaard: Pseudonym, irony, and the blurring of authorial identity and viewpoint leads to internal argumentation within philosophy, allowing for a richer discourse.

Fake Kierkegaard: Morality is for suckers!

Part of me really wonders how much actual philosophy these dorks read, and how much they're trying to Cargo Cult into existence by being contrarian idiots.

At the least, I've never wanted to bludgeon someone with a copy of Either/Or as much as I do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

I had started writing up a huge effortpost on Kierkegaard (the Danish philosopher, not the weird HBD/Scientific Racism guy) and the philosophical reasoning why they're examining things through faith, rather than ethics (broadly standing in for reason), but then I realized no one gives a poo poo about philosophical takedowns here. Suffice to say - by embracing a non-provable hypothesis regarding death and the inevitability of AI, they are rejecting both the appreciation of aesthetics (broadly - the humanities and their overall worth) as well as ethics, framing the whole thing as faith masquerading as ethics via a series of redirections and justifications that ultimately tie back to a hope towards extending the aesthetic into the eternal.

Seriously, y'all should read Fear and Trembling. Real philosophy is pretty awesome, whereas cargo cult philosophy works in terms of laying out massive screeds that are either hyperfocused on minutia or generalize by skipping important steps. It's the same rejection of the humanities that leads to the delightful irony of poorly-articulated philosophy claiming to be above previous great thinkers without examining the necessary frameworks.

I was going to work in a joke regarding Kierkegaard's use of Abraham and Issac, which features Eliezer as a prominent reason why ethics are abandoned for faith, but it seemed like too much of a stretch. They're well-meaning in a lot of ways, but could really use some proper philosophy to at least get the basics down. It's hard as hell.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

ikanreed posted:

Jesus that's some libertarian-to-fascist pipeline right there.

They don't even recognize how their new position competely subverts the one thing they claim to care about in their previous one.

I don't see it as a subversion so much as a pretty direct line. Think about your typical mental image of the rhetorically-contrary libertarian: white, middle-class male. The libertarian thesis here is that they'd be successful if not for regulations/restrictions/society in some way. The core point is that it's the individual who then supposedly gains control of all their circumstances - the default is then assumed to be the self, and differing backgrounds are not so much 'different' as 'not normal'. It's an easy jump from there to shift the blame from the vague idea of regulation and government to visibly different individuals who go against the attempt at a universalized sense of self and norm definitions. Combine that with the trend towards ironic detachment in online anonymous/pseudonymous spaces, and you're pretty much in an ideal space for these ideologies.