Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Please tell me there's a rulebook for this game. I want know more about this perfect world of libertarian monarchies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Peel posted:

Does Yudkowsky even want to be associated with these people? It's a different and way worse flavour of daft to his stuff.

If I had to guess, I'd say they're each others reason they can say "See, we rise above your petty ideological fighting".

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

bartlebyshop posted:

Welcome to Phalanx, "a reactionary fraternity for the cultivation of masculine virtue and the development of social and moral capital." They plan to do such stirring masculine activities as "wing each other and support Patriarchy in our relationships" but also "study practical skills like coding, fixing stuff" and "history and old books."

What's the over/under on how long it takes one of these guys to contract a horrible disease from "testosterone" he had shipped from an internet pharmacy?

quote:

Phalanx is not about collective action or activism in the perverse leftist sense.

I've always loved it when people say poo poo like this. It's basically saying "We don't need to promote and make our case for what we believe in; anyone who isn't a feminized, liberal pussy will recognize our greatness and will be begging to come into our fold." Or to put it another way:

quote:

The plan is not to directly engage, but to become dangerously strong.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

SodomyGoat101 posted:

That faint lisp just completely fucks up his manly credibility. Any bets that his scotch-and-cigarettes routine is a feeble attempt to give him a more masculine vocal pattern?

1:1

Going by his reactions, it's the only possible reason he's doing it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Spoilers Below posted:

What is it with these people and their small heads/big jackets? Why must they tarnish the legacy of David Byrne?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE-mxVxFXLg

They think it makes them look bigger. Instead, they look about as ridiculous as did Michael Dukakis in that tank.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Remember Nice Guys? I'm certain that it was just the larval stage of the MRAs.

It's more they're the benign tumors of MRA cancer.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Silver2195 posted:

I can't tell what the intended level of irony of this comic is.

The answer is always "Just kidding, unless you aren't".

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I also speak very monarchically.

How does one speak monarchically? I imagine it's speaking like Brian Blessed, but I have a feeling he's not dark and serious enough for these people.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's like good advice that you just can't take (because of Dunning-Kruger).

Who would have thought.

It figures.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

grate deceiver posted:

Lollin at that tiny femininity completely disconected from the rest of the graph

My favorite thing is that Roosh V is the closest non-femininity point to femininity.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Nolanar posted:

What everyone else said, plus he came up with the astounding pile of fallacies known as Argumentation Ethics. In summary:
  • My philosophy says that peaceful argument is the best way to solve disagreements.
  • Conversation and argument are peaceful.
  • Therefore, anyone I talk to is following my philosophy, knowingly or not.
  • Therefore, disagreeing with any part of my philosophy is hypocritical, and anyone who does is dumb and wrong by default.
Aside from just being stupid as all hell, it's an argument that actively encourages the person you're using it on to punch you in the face as a legitimate rebuttal.

So he's actually saying punching him in the face is an acceptable alternative to talking to him.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

coyo7e posted:

I have literally had a hardcore self-diagnosed aspergers conservative/libertarian/etc brag to me about how he was the captain of a yacht and a crew of dozens of men when he was in high school. Right now he's working at Gamestop and has a wife who's having her fourth or fifth miscarriage (she may or may not be dying her hair to match the number of M-C's) because, well, being a cashier at gamestop is apparently the epitome of solid family-starting time when you're an ubermensch.

I feel terrible saying this, but any chance they aren't actually miscarriages?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Toph Bei Fong posted:

One of the little things I love about Aurini's videos is the Hunter S. Thompson biography in the background of a lot of his videos.

Thompson, as I'm sure most of your are aware, was a real man's man. He spent most of the 60s, 70s, 80s, and even 90s drunk or high (or both), and hosed around the country Speaking Truth while writing hilarious take downs of the various elites that were ruining the country. A libertarian who never compromised, never backed down, never gave up, whether he was mocking Nixon to his face, exposing the lies of the Clinton administration, of trashing the American Dream for the cocked up load of bull poo poo that it is, he was a man for all men to emulate.

The problem is, of course, that Aurini almost certainly hasn't read that particular biography. Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson by Thompson's former assistant Corey Seymour and Rolling Stone owner and editor-in-chief Jann S. Wenner is an oral biography compiled from interviews with everyone Thompson knew during his life, and is basically a huge take down of every myth, legend, or rumor that you've ever heard about him, leaving him looking like a gigantic, irresponsible, and sexist rear end in a top hat who people mostly tolerated because he wouldn't leave them alone and/or because he made them money. If it weren't written by two of his best friends, one might call it a hit piece. His writing might be fun, but the truth it wasn't.

I could understand if it was a copy of The Great Shark Hunt or Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72, but this particular bio? It's difficult to imagine how someone could read about Hells Angels founder Sonny Barger calling Thompson a coward who hid in the trunk of his car rather than stand his ground when things got a little heavy, and later lied about having been in a big gang fight, and think "This is one of my heroes".

It's one of those books that psuedo-intellectuals have to show off to everyone else. I'm willing to bet he also has/had a copy of Freakonomics.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I always love rationalist pissing contests.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Hey everyone, wanna see the number one Dark Enlightenment comedian?

https://twitter.com/jokeocracy

#1 Dark Enlightenment Comedian posted:

the Anti-Cuckservative Uprising is the GOP's #Gamergate

So he comes from the GBS school of comedy.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So way back in the OP someone posted the Dark Enlightenment trading cards.

And I just want to comment that Mencius Moldbug, depending on you interpret that last bit, either believes that Thomas Carlyle's books are currently banned in America and the EU(which is empirically false because a quick Amazon search will show you there are easily available copies of his books from Penguin or Oxford) OR that he will soon be banned, because the authorities consider a boring dead Scottish conservative who's mainly read by people interested in historical views on certain events and influential figures in the 19th century to be too renegade and hardcore.

And that's just kind of amazing.

Well, how else would explain Moldbug not being recognized as the Great Man of our time? :colbert:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Zikan posted:

It was a place called startup castle and it was more insane then I remember

I know it's a restricted thing, buy I desperately want to see these guys' okcupid profiles.

Edit: Now that I think about it, they're all probably just this but without the "top-class degree" requirement, and maybe some leniency on being dependent on parents.

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Aug 6, 2015

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I'm confused... I thought he was pro wives being sex slaves and murdering children, as long as the are the right ones.

No, he's cool with ubermensch like himself raping and beating their own wives; it's the dirty poors and non-whites raping and beating the ubermensch's wives that he actually believes Karl Marx was demanding.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Any Dark Enlightenment reactions over the Republican debate last night? I know the consensus is that politics is a mind killer, but from what I've seen these guys and their ilk are big Trump supporters.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Polybius91 posted:

I've heard Lord of the Rings brought up in relation to DE types before. How exactly does it fit in? I mean, I'm fairly sure most of the messages in LotR (anti-industrialism and the dangers of pursuing power in particular) would be repellent to a bunch of nerds who want to be machine gods torturing the poors with dust specks for their own amusement or whatever.

I'm pretty sure one or a couple of them have touted the idea that the war between the orcs and the other races was basically multiculturalism vs. human biodiversity.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Merdifex posted:

Neoreactionary argues, poorly, that white flight is ethnic cleansing. Is this any different from standard WN "white genocide" bullshit?

I don’t agree with your analysis of why whites left the cities. It fails on several accounts. First, the promotion of non-reproductive sex and abortion has been targeted far more to blacks and hispanics. Abortion clinics and planned parenthoods are located in their neighborhoods for a reason. And they’ve been successful at their little project. Black fertility rates now hover just at replacement.

Second, the type of white who does live in the city tends to be precisely the over educated careerist, that is, the Sex and the City type. So pushing education and careers isn’t what is pushing whites out of the cities.

Third, cities are known for having lower birthrates then surrounding countryside and small towns. This is true worldwide and throughout history. It’s true in monoethnic Japan. It was true in ancient Rome.

Fourth, cities are not good places to raise children. They’re like mouse utopia. Who the hell wants to live in a little box stacked on other boxes? Cities are crowded, dirty, noisy, crime ridden and dangerous.

I think the reason most whites left was because they had the werewithal to do so. Crime and schools were probably the primary motivators.

Your arguments hold up better if you are discussing overall white demographics for the whole nation, not just cities. Whites do have the lowest fertility rate of all groups, save Asians. Between that and inundating our country with non-white immigrants the progs will have succeeded beyond their wildest dreams: a white minority in America.

I do hope the progs enjoy being stuffed in their crumbling cities with their new brown friends. When the whole thing blows they can burn with their cities.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I wanted to see if I could make one of those "quote without the [quote]" posts, but I never stopped to considered if I should. :ohdear:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

KiteAuraan posted:

I thought Iron Pill was ironic until I read that Tumblr. Now I am uncertain...

They're basically the brownies of politics. It started out semi-ironic but quickly became a very real and very stupid thing.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Wales Grey posted:

How is that man's head making noise without lungs and a diaphragm to push air through its vocal cords?

~MAGIC!~ ~SCIENCE!~

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

DarklyDreaming posted:

So do you want to play a tabletop RPG made by one of these clowns? No? Well I'll just leave this here anyway

To be fair, I did technically ask for it.

MizPiz posted:

Please tell me there's a rulebook for this game. I want know more about this perfect world of libertarian monarchies.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ronwayne posted:

Dem Blood Angels.

Also Dark Angels.

And what your feelings are about space elves.

The holier-than-thou nihilists or the ones that binge on all the space drugs? Because the former are boring as gently caress.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Cingulate posted:

The idea that a humanities education actually helps you help making the world a truly better place is highly speculative.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous to think that learning about the human condition will actually help you better understand humanity.

Hate Fibration posted:

I actually find this unlikely. I have met a staggering amount of radical marxist mathematicians. And though my sympathies do not lie with anything that anyone would call radicalism, I think it's important to point out that the conservative bias you are perceiving in STEM chiefly stems(heh) from the T and E parts of that acronym. Engineers, like doctors, are actually more conservative, as a population than the general pop. Technology like-wise. I say this, mostly, to illustrate that treating STEM as a monolith is very much a mistake.

I have always disliked inter-field pissing contests though, so it makes me cringe whenever I see STEM people bashing lib arts.

TBF, when people talk about STEM fields (including people who are encouraging others to pursue them as a career) they are mostly talking about the T and E parts. Science and mathematics are undeniably important for tech and engineering (and really every other aspect of society), but they aren't the "more valuable" fields economically. This might also explain why a lot of the mathematicians you've met are more politically diverse.

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Aug 28, 2015

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Cingulate posted:

Well it does sound like sympathetic magic.

Either way, "understanding the human condition" is rather different from "understanding car engines" in the sense that the latter allows you to fix cars, but the former doesn't allow you to fix humans/society. Or cars, sadly.
Liberal arts people throw nice parties, I grant you that.
If I didn't truly appreciate Sam Harris, I'd probably pretend I did.

So your gimmick is getting pissy about people promoting anything that doesn't offer instant gratification?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Cingulate posted:

No idea where you're coming from here.

You're argument is basically that nothing less than a modular "make people good" lesson plan is the only way to prevent people from becoming egotistical assholes with a terrible worldview. This is not only impossible, it's laughable to even think it's something that can be solved. As Jack Gladney alluded to, Humanities teaches you that humans are complex beings that can't (and shouldn't) be treated like a car engines with definable problems that can be "solved" using a step-by-step solution. You're right that teaching it won't automatically make people into good human beings, but, as the quote you've been using ad nauseam says, it's the best solution since it exposes kids to cultures and ideas they wouldn't otherwise know about and shows that there isn't a magic cure for the issues plaguing humanity.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Political Whores posted:

I think forcing integration would probably work better. Don't let people shield their children in bubbles. It will matter a whole lot more than whatever mediocre introduction to politics and history an elementary or high school teacher can provide. Especially when it comes to empathy for people lower on the economic totem pole, for which I find humanities students aren't much better than business school assholes about.

E; Quote is not edit.

That would be better, but it's a far less realistic solution. It might be possible in a dense urban environment (i.e. places where exposure to people with different backgrounds can potentially happen naturally), but being able to do it in suburban and rural locations would also require such a radical restructuring of society that it might as well be a pipe-dream.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

point of return posted:

I don't think traitors should necessarily be banned from public parks, but at least we could pick treason that wasn't about slavery? Like, I think at least one public park should honor Aaron Burr and his hilarious political career.

John Brown is always a good goto.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I can't decide if I do or don't want what happened to Burning Man to happen to the Gathering of the Juggalos.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I read that whole post and still have no idea what the name is supposed to mean. Jezebel was spiteful and bloodthirsty, not promiscuous.

Spiteful is definitely true, but she was bloodthirsty only inthat she wasn't above having people killed to get what she wanted (which by old testament standards was incredibly tame). On the other hand, she's basically been used as the symbol for a power-hungry whore since she was introduced in Hebrew texts. Basically, she's the model that Neoreactionaries think every woman with ambition follows.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

While we're talking about white self-taught dudes posting endless :words: of weird racist philosophy, let's pour one out for the demise of Time Cube.

N-no. How could they let this happen? :qq:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Woolie Wool posted:

It's basically a product of the gigantic IT/dot-com boom from the 1990s. A lot of programmers seem to live in this fantasy land where it's still 1997 and IT is going to revolutionize everything and computer experts will be the most valuable people in the entire economy.

It didn't turn out that way.

Can't wait for it to not turn out that way again.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Woolie Wool posted:

Well now there are two of them thanks to Varg Vikernes' relentless lunacy.

I'd love to see a thread doing a play through of one of these.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Heresiarch posted:

Believing that an obscure and short-lived political subforum can enact such sweeping cultural changes must actually be somewhat comforting to this person, because it gives him hope that his own obscure clique may one day achieve relevance.

They absolutely have a "we're the silenced prophets" attitude about themselves. Whether or not they think they'll eventually become the vanguards of the (counter?) revolution or looked back as an "ahead of his time" genius varies from person to person.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

divabot posted:

TIL Aurini is out as actively bisexual. So he's overloading everyone's gaydar because he in fact is. As a degenerate pervert, I feel affronted by this. But then, ebola virus probably feels affronted that Aurini is DNA-based.

I finally get why people told me I need to pick a side.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Heresiarch posted:

If anybody wants a good starting point for a foray into the depths of the Twitter reactionary abyss, the flood of responses to this tweet featuring a photo of Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian together may be optimal.

https://twitter.com/UN_Women/status/647113416956620800

I heard the anger before I even opened the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

divabot posted:

That bit's about Zoe Quinn, but in general yes: SA is the source of all evil, and Ron Paul fans literally started Tumblr SJW.

Feels good being a part of the most sinister cabal on the internet.