Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I Killed GBS posted:

Those are the far-left, not the "alt-left", which doesn't exist

Also not shocked DeusExMachinima believes in the alt-left, lol

Exactly what has to happen for the alt-left to exist under your definition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ate all the Oreos posted:

I think a sufficient measure of "existence" would be if there were actually a group that self-identifies as the alt-left and makes a bunch of stupid charts about it and a subreddit and had their own equivalent of Milo.

So basically identical to alt-right except for stated beliefs?

I Killed GBS posted:

Nobody self-identifies as "alt-left." People do self-identify as "alt-right." It's not a complicated subject.

That said, self-identifying as "alt-right" is typically just a way to disguise that you hold more sordid views appropriate to existing white supremacist groups in the first place. I don't think I'd necessarily take their self-identification as gospel when so many Neo-Nazis use the moniker to hide themselves.

I'd consider "alt-left" to be anyone who at least behaves similarly to an alt-right individual regardless of whether they're 100% identical, like whether or not they have /r/The_Commie or if they're trying to use "alt-left" as a way to disguise that they're tankies.

pookel posted:

It seems to me that it would be logical to use "alt-left" to describe a movement of young iconoclasts pursuing goals adjacent to standard liberalism, but at odds with the existing liberal establisment and unwilling to compromise with it for the sake of ideological purity, even if their views seem extreme, unusual, or even crazy to the establishment left.

In other words, it would be the Bernie-or-bust folks. You know, the ones who didn't care if they burned it all down, as long as they didn't have to make any compromises.

^ This is the definition I'd probably use. They behave similarly to the alt-right, just on the opposite side of the political scale. I'd also include tankies and the people who want the United States to elect an open communist, ostensibly because their candidate will "drain the swamp" and turn the government on its head but really they just want to see their pet peeves taken care of, drat everyone else.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Someone should ask him why.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Look up Scandinavian open prisons et al. They have less recidivism than the US and don't believe in life sentences or solitary confinement.

Anders Breivik, that Nazi serial killer who murdered around 70 kids, is due for release in 7 years or so. In the meantime he's entitled to free college education as much as he wants and has his own personal games console in his designated room.

Anders is only "due for release" in the sense that his sentence is up for review. Norway is allowed to say "No, you haven't changed and you'll still be dangerous if we let you out" and renew his sentence.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Depends how you interpret - I was suggesting a ratio of 0 innocent victims of the Scandinavian system to <x> of the American system. The absolute value is undoubtedly a finite number but my point was that the Scandinavian system will produce 0 in perpetuity, thus causing an endlessly changing ratio (assuming neither system changes). Hence my X system v Y system being 'less' (implying ratio) instead of 'fewer' (implying numerical comparison).

Why is this conversation even happening.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edit: May have been a probate-worthy phrase.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

darthbob88 posted:

Some of them probably would; wasn't it the Oath Keepers who had that schism over whether or not to support and arm the good (black) citizens of Ferguson against the plundering police?

Yeah, which led to some Oath Keepers standing watch over the businesses with guns on the roof. When they weren't able to do that any more, they started marching with the protesters.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nice self own, Red Panels.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"What's your idea to solve human conflict?"

"It is very simple, sir: no wars."

".....you seem to be avoiding the questio--"

"NO. WARS."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's gonna be weird to re-learn turn of the century to not mean 1900 because i'm imagining some very weird gundams right about now

Even better: in the original Mobile Suit Gundam, one of the Zabi family at the end starts telling his son or something (can't remember the exact relation) the story of Adolf Hitler to try and emphasize that he needs to chill with the crazy dictator poo poo. The guy he's telling the story to refers to WW2 as occurring in "the Middle Ages".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I love the part where he asks why NORAD didn't identify the threat, as if they would suddenly realize that the commercial traffic looked kinda unusual that day and instantly scramble fighters loaded with missiles and cannon shells within a few minutes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fututor Magnus posted:

because his college's faculty and students didn't entertain his dumb ideas and virulent hatred of blacks that means that The Left's principles advocate genocide of whites... by having the audacity of believing that black people have the right to exist. but this isn't essentializing the entire left into an uniform group because

I read a really good breakdown of the "Universities are intolerant left-wing breeding grounds full of biased liberals! Why won't they let right-wing speakers take the stage?"

Because the right-wing speakers are usually either virulent racists or supporting absolutely horrible, illogical, unscientific positions. Milo isn't the kind of person who should be speaking at a place of education.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Setting side the dumbass part where he calls the Jedi an oligarchy in the same sentence that he says they were formed through genetics rather than money, the Jedi specifically didn't take a ruling position in the Republic and were entirely subservient to the federal government as a galactic peacekeeping force.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

divabot posted:

Elon Musk low-key believes in Roko's basilisk.

Grimes (musician) recorded a song about Roko's basilisk.

So they're dating now, and they hooked up over Roko's basilisk.

Elizabeth Sandifer: I quit. Reality has topped me irreparably.
me: lucky you, you get to quit

edit: loving musk

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/993572598381514753

I think Grimes is pretty weird?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What exactly would cause a self-modifying computer to turn into God where the human brain did not?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Neither eschaton nor I made that claim, so I dunno.

I didn't say you did, but that seems to be what the "AI will turn into God" claim hinges on: a neural network or individual program with the ability to evolve suddenly gains omniscience and omnipotence. The fact that the human brain has spent a few million years gradually evolving to our current levels (with about 86 billion neurons) and still hasn't accomplished this doesn't exactly give me high hopes for a human-designed system to do that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It took me a while to realize we weren't talking about Electronic Arts.

...mostly because I don't doubt for a second that Electronic Arts is rampant with sexual harassment.

I had to reread the posts to figure out what they were talking about that wasn't Electronic Arts.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sax Solo posted:

a dust of speck

Can't say I've ever gotten bacon in my eyes, but there's a first time for everything.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/1017457309419745281

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

In a post-apocalyptic future humanity is under constant threat from giant creatures known as klaxosaurs (叫竜 kyoryū) which are sub-divided into at least four categories based on their size: "Conrad"[b], "Mohorovičić"[c], "Gutenberg"[d], and "(Super) Lehmann" [e]. Pushed to the brink of annihilation, the mysterious organization known as APE has led the remnants of humanity to abandon the Earth's surface for the relative safety of mobile fortress-cities known as Plantations. To defend the Plantations, children called Parasites are raised to pilot giant mecha known as Franxx[f] (フランクス Furankusu) in boy-girl pairs. Hiro is a former pilot-candidate prodigy who can no longer synchronize with his partner and they both fail to complete the training program. While skipping his class's graduation ceremony, Hiro encounters Zero Two, an infamous Franxx pilot with klaxosaur blood and red horns. After Zero Two's partner dies during a klaxosaur attack, Hiro volunteers to become her new partner, or "darling."

Is this just Pacific Rim?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Mostly, it’s Evangelion/Gurren Lagann/Gunbuster fanfiction by a guy who got lucky enough to work with actual ex-Gainax staff members, but I’m not ruling out there being a tiny bit of Pacific Rim in there.

The plot synopsis and setting sound literally identical to Pacific Rim with added anime weirdness.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Buddy have I got a big surprise for you about the origin of Pacific Rim

I know Pacific Rim is inspired by anime, but that's the exact plot of the movie 5 years later. The only difference is that it does the full blown anime thing where everything has a weird name for no reason and children do creepy adult poo poo.

It's like if there was an anime about a squad of American soldiers in World War II trying to rescue the last remaining brother who was drafted after all his siblings die, but all of the protagonists are 16 and their unit is called the Glorious Cat and the guy they're searching for is named Balls.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Jul 16, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Wasn't Highschool of the Dead just about zombies? Or was there something more overtly Far Right about it?

I know some people think zombie apocalypse fiction is inherently right wing because the government collapses and only the one guy who stocked up on machineguns survives thus "proving them all wrong" but wasn't Romero's stuff all anti-capitalism?

The original Night of the Living Dead wasn't really metaphorical for anything; Romero just wanted to make a horror movie inspired by I Am Legend without totally ripping it off by using vampires. A lot of people took the scene with Ben being killed by zombie hunters at the end as a commentary on racism, but Ben was originally cast as a white truck driver and ended up with a black actor based on the strength of his audition.

People have said Dawn of the Dead was an anti-capitalism thing, but I can't find any source of Romero directly saying that. The closest thing I can find to an inspiration for the film is Romero visiting the mall and having the manager joke that you could survive an emergency locked in there, which is the best thing to say to a zombie movie director. All of the sources claiming that Dawn of the Dead was anti-capitalist and that the zombies were a metaphor that I can find are news articles and essays saying it obviously is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

Death of the author, friendo

Death of the Author is for hacks who aren't creating anything but want to feel like they are.