Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Puppy Time posted:

This is the way the world ends: not with a bang, but with a delicious sizzle.

This is my favourite thing anyone has ever posted. Also, sidenote: this conversation was very illuminating because I had a woman email me the other day asking if any of our food was halal (yes) and responded that she would not be dining with us for that reason, and I was very confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

chitoryu12 posted:

Death of the Author is for hacks who aren't creating anything but want to feel like they are.

Death of the author is an inescapable product of interpreting any media. It could be technically applied to an ad for flooring.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

ate all the Oreos posted:

Oh man I know what video that's from, it's hosted by this "professor" who paints these loving terrible, generic paintings of boy scouts and is clearly super upset that the art world doesn't recognize his clear genius. He talks about how in the art class he teaches he starts by showing the class a picture he claims is by Jackson Pollock, and has the kids interpret it, and then *gasp* it's actually just a picture of his own messy, paint-covered smock, and you dumb idiot kids couldn't tell the difference because art is decadent and depraved now, how dare you try to find meaning where nobody has explicitly spelled it out for you!!!

Then the rest of the video is him griping about specific art pieces he doesn't like :allears:

Captain ACAB is an incredible username, and I am really jealous. Also, the actual video Prager U posts is... really worth a watch. He's obsessed with technical proficiency, and holds up Vermeer as an example, a dude who literally used a proto-camera to cheat his way to proportional accuracy. Also, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that someone who claims that art can be objectively measured by a universal standard is a closet modernist and relies heavily on the idea of objectivity is probably also reliant on other measures which can basically be reduced to "old stuff is better".

And I think this claim can be buttressed by another video they posted where a woman is tasked with explaining that toxic masculinity is the part of the same biological drive that inspires men to rescue kittens from fires and should be thus harnessed, not denied. I am only halfway through, but this is so far very :biotruths:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What I'm saying is that art changes and evolves, and we're all better for it. For every few hundred insufferable rear end in a top hat art majors who get their degree for making a fingerpaint recreation of Picasso's Guernica done in their own bodily fluids or a performance piece consisting of making GBS threads into empty Campbell's soup cans as a comment on the violence inherent in the system, there's someone doing something truly new and creative.

I feel that people who spend inordinate amounts of time defending the deepness of their art are typically missing the point of postmodern art (which, poo poo in cans is definitely postmodern); early examples of obnoxiously underskilled pieces, like that guy who poo poo into cans and sold it, did so simply as a protest against collectors, the upper-middle class, etc, or as a signal to the absurd. It means nothing because life is meaningless, which is the typical message, but laymen and strict modernists alike either don't understand or heavily disagree with that message, which is where you get nineteen year old art students who will make a plaster cast of their own hand and then claim it's about their father's rigid parenting style*.

*: Real example from art school!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Maxwell Lord posted:

Beyond that a lot of abstract art isn't seeking representation or symbolic meaning- it's sometimes just "these shapes/colors, arranged in a certain way, are interesting to me". There's no meaning to decode, it's pure aesthetics.

Also, pre-photographic art didn't seek pure representation or pure abstraction, depending on the artist or subject matter. If I can bring up Vermeer again, that dude literally used a projector so that he could paint milkmaids. You could argue, I guess, that there was some level of symbolic importance in either the grand scheme of his work, or in individual paintings, but you're still talking about a guy who basically wanted to be a photographer but was born in the wrong era. And ever seen The Garden of Earthly Delights? I would argue a huge portion of its credibility is derived from its age; not to say I don't like the painting, but it's pretty abstract for its time.

I'm sorry if I'm continuing a derail here, but I have this really specific pet peeve for people hearkening back to some specific era to criticise the present. In addition to the fact that we've been doing that as long as there have been people older than us, but a channel like Prager U also does it to get sentimental about, for example, war and some lost concept of masculinity, and much like golden American eras, it never loving existed. If anyone's interested, there's a very good book called The Way We Never Were that discusses that whole idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I love the willful refusal to acknowledge his own withering popularity here. "No one supports me, even the people who are ideologically obligated to support me! Clearly, you are ungrateful." Guess what, buddy, when your entire appeal revolves around being a contrarian, rude rear end in a top hat who is dismissive of everyone but themselves, don't be surprised when your acolytes do the same to you.