Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Slate Star Codex apparently has some kind of hot take about how we should be "against overgendering harassment" because males get harassed too and #metoo is unnecessarily excluding a victim group

I had to come here and post this because I nearly typed some incredibly loving unkind things on a totally different forum when I got linked and at least here everyone will think exactly what I did.

Type those unkind things, the other forum isn't worth your time if your honest opinion would get you banned and who knows, maybe you'll help out somebody who is on the brink of this poo poo but not yet beyond reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I love multiple collars, makes dudes look like hothouse flowers. Give me a bunch of collars and no other part of the shirt techbros, it's the only sensible thing to do.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

https://twitter.com/slatestarcodex/status/957424136237719552

:getin: (though tbf there is zero chance Scott is dumb enough to follow through on this)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

SolTerrasa posted:

One guy in there swears that the reason he doesn't have a girlfriend is because he has a suboptimal musk. :wtc:

Dude stinks so bad he's aware of it, but women are supposed to like dude-sweat* so obviously his must be defective some other way.

*(evo-psych and :biotruths: is a cult with these people swear to god)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The most horrifying part of this is that Scott Alexander was cited in the New York Times, which means he's dangerously close to being a mainstream pundit in a Moderate Conservative position

His secret dream, within reach at last.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cowards deleted it. You can still find it w/ search (89 points and ten comments) but the page itself returns the "We couldn't find that" when you click the result. Divabot, please copy/paste.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If you're A Rationalist Thinkfluencer and also burning the evidence the only difference between you and a cult leader is how many followers you have. I may think Big Yud is not a very smart man, but at least all of the Sequences are right there, so people can go decide for themselves that that's the case. I mean, even Roko's Basilisk post is findable with a bit of a search.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Being kind, it was one man's attempt to see if he would be a good charismatic leader and be able to bring out the excellence in people who subordinated some of their decision making to him ala the Army or other authoritarian institution. Being accurate, a cult of personality.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

divabot posted:

That Dragon Army Retrospective, in full

courtesy the estimable tangled_zans from sneerclub

I can see why he tried to scrub this, yikes.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rude not to share with the rest of the thread.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Lol at a sympathetic look. It's not like these people have ever had a meaningful critique done. TDT alone is ripe for brutality.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

divabot posted:

sitting here contemplating stuff I could put in a book called "Roko's Basilisk". Possible subtitle: "A journey into the dark heart of the transhumanist dream", though I may not live up to it.

What sort of things would you expect in the contents list? What sort of things would you be delighted to read in it?

polyamory as preached by the cult as opposed to as practiced by the cult
and how that compares with similar cults
ie somehow it's always the thought leaders who end up getting all the action

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

All those instructions for making acid and then warnings about not using that acid for acid attacks are jokes, they're bantz.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

sloppo posted:

titties so good they kill with a glance. we call her the Bapsilisk

just wanted to share an extremely good post

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Try harder

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Incels as a whole are too narcissistic to be part of the DE. The black pill isn't about improving society or oneself, it's about freeing oneself from the illusion that change for the better is even possible. The movements might find themselves temporarily aligned in their desires to change the system, but the end states of the two are very different.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

It's not like the DE has an agreed upon end goal either. They'll purge one another as soon as they're done with everyone else.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Somfin posted:

"stuff I don't understand but Yud probably does because he's literally paid to think."

'He's paid to think about a very specific (and stupid) thing that he has convinced other people to pay him to think about' is a fairly succinct summation of Yud's entire life.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

https://twitter.com/Outsideness/status/996269237458034688
These people are insane.
(That's Nick Land and Twitter is now basically the only way he interacts with the outside world.)
https://twitter.com/Outsideness/status/996447979832725504
In case you thought I was exaggerating.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Also they're not even Leftists they're just /pol dudes pretending to be to own the libs. Land is regarded as the most intellectual of the DE because he was an academic, even though he never recovered from his psychotic break.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

divabot posted:

This one came first. He says this taught him a lot for "A Girl Corrupted".

The economics is actually pretty conventional, which I was slightly surprised by.

In further news:

The Gig Economy by Zero HP Lovecraft

I read this and thought "the universe is loving with me. And Sandifer." It is well worth a couple of hours.

The only reason I am not spamming this link across the heavens is the author's Twitter bio: "No enemies to the right. Likes: nrx, cryptocurrency, hbd, old books. Dislikes: universal suffrage, the sexual revolution" Oh well. But I figure you guys will get every note this thing hits.

I really enjoyed that story. Where'd you find it linked from?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I read that woman's suicide note.

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, a big thing for her seems to have been that she found herself becoming more and more like the ‘social justice warriors’ she’d been trained to hate, so she killed herself before she could ‘radicalise’ because she’d tied way too much of her identity into this specific community and this specific mindset and was horrified by the notion of what might exist outside it.

Christ, that’s dark. :stare:

It seems like she killed herself because the alternative, of not hanging out with a bunch of assholes, was simply unacceptable. gently caress the people who harassed her obviously.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Syd Midnight posted:

How do they rationalize thresholds? That "line on a chart can be extrapolated infinitely" is a bedrock of superstition and anti-scientific nonsense, but it's also a foundation of a lot of their beliefs. I'm so used to seeing it come from a different direction that things like "speck of dust" and "Moores Law forever" just blend right in with satire like "Americans consume over 500 grams of deadly cyanide and 25 liters of toxic methanol each day in the form of applesauce, enough to kill thousands of people! [see TheTruthAboutApples.com] " or "By plotting maximum vehicle speeds from 1850-1950, we can see that relativistic interstellar travel will be commonplace by the year 2000."

The aforementioned suicide has been bothering me because it sounds like she was about to start outgrowing it due to life experience, the usual "I was into that once, it was pretty hosed up". You'd think that sort of death-before-disbelief would set off a few alarm bells among people worried about harmful memetics, but not when their mindset is the one that bypasses safety devices and disables alarms because those are meant for other people and are preventing them from carrying out their clever plan that will eventually be the subject of a somberly narrated CGI recreation.

They've got a whole thing about this called noticing skulls. Basically the argument is that they're smart enough to notice the skulls and that the skulls are their for lesser intellects, but as luminaries of the mind they'll be okay. The fact that none of them can function in society as it is and have to hide in a group of like-minded individuals ought to be a warning but is instead taken as proof that they're as deviated from the norms as they think they are. Not one of these people thinks they're on the left end of any bell curves.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Syd Midnight posted:

They can never make it past Pascals Wager, can they?

Thanatophobia is a cruel master.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Buttcoiners and Singularity fetishists. A strange but strong collection of enemies to know you by.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Frankly people are doing ancient people a disservice when they act like a Dark Ages peasant would die of shock in Times Square. If they could speak English they'd be fine. It's just moderns wanting to pretend they're special.

VVVV edit I was just thinking about the Transmet reference specifically

Relevant Tangent has a new favorite as of 12:05 on Jun 27, 2018

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

None of those things are even slightly inconceivable/incomprehensible. They're shocking but they're not going to make your brain stop. They're not outside basic human behavior. It's just foolish to think that humans of the future are going to behave in non-human ways. We don't.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm pretty sure part of it, in Transmet, is revivals being unceremoniously dumped into a shelter at night and out on the street during the day. They've got nothing, and the people "looking after" them are just the revivals who're handling it better, while anyone who actually does just nod at culture shock stuff like ebola cola and "we don't actually really know what year it is" either gets out of there and lives a normal life, or tries to and fails because they've got gently caress-all resources and don't know anyone who can help.

Wossname who Spider gives a camera winds up in a much better mental place fairly quickly, after all.

Yeah, it's definitely not that the culture is too shocking it's that people are still assholes and they're coming into the situation as adults with zero resources. I mean, she recognizes the President, is aware that Spider might be interested, and is able to navigate the technology to get him the photos. I just think the idea that the people of the future are going to be incomprehensible is stupid. If you gave a Dark Ages peasant some time they'd be able to navigate the present. We're not fundamentally different from the people who existed thousands of years ago, never mind hundreds.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I'm pretty sure it was that it was in GBS. Or possibly D&D. Might also have been that people who took it seriously got involved and poo poo it up. It was forever ago though.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

A quick Google Image search later and I'm impressed by the genius of combining pederast anime with conservative propaganda

You could have just said anime.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Nick Land is the dumbest of these people in the sense that he had actual academic status and threw it away so he could do tweets, link to Jacobite, and make approving gestures in the direction of Jordan Peterson. Yud has never and will never achieve anything, but Land had something for a brief moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

This thread is dead so post them here if you like. Nobody'd mind seeing it repurposed I imagine.