Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

BobHoward posted:

Can someone explain what it is about the Mountain Goats that gets up the dork enlightenment's collective nostril?

Idk, I like Mountain Goats okay, my guess is that its because the frontman is an outspoken abuse survivor and promotes ideas like "men ought to be able to express feelings other than anger or hunger without being denigrated"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

to me the issue isn't so much life extension or cheating death- I agree that it would be quite a feat and could do a lot to reduce fear and suffering among humanity-

the issue is the pervasive belief that it ought to only go to those who 'deserve' it, i.e., are wealthy. If you thought the ruling class were parasitic vampires, wait until they're literally immortal.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

holy poo poo that title

"Chapter One: You Are Going To Read 27 Pages About The Protagonist's Mom Waking Him Up For Breakfast On This The Day He Is Coming Of Age"

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Munin posted:

The God shaped hole thing seems to be a pretty common thing amongst former theists.

Yeah as a lifelong secular it doesn't really make sense to me but I'm sure half of these chucklewits have a canned response as to why their subjective experience is a universal truth

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I was complaining the other day about how Internet Atheists make it really difficult to want to identify with their cause, owing mostly to their adjacency to NRx/Alt-Right positions. Local religious types here in East Kansas are generally more chill (with a couple glaring Westboro-shaped exceptions, also a European might disagree with my definion of 'chill'), our history is full of Unitarian Utopian-types, and I lamented that the overeager youth pastor is far more amenable to conversation than the Vape-hat McNomasters that smirk their way into meaningless by-your-logic arguments online constantly-

My friend, a staunch atheist, pointed out that its not necessarily the atheism itself that makes these clods irritating. In pointing out that these guys are mostly, well, guys- typically white ones, with a comfortable income- she posited that the reason they're so obnoxious has more to do with the fact that they have very little to lose compared to atheists who are in a more possibly compromising social situation.

Thought of that reading this thread, especially the bit about how NRx types see themselves as heroic inheritors of struggle against religion in a time when most of the risk associated with that struggle is moot- for them. So of course they're obnoxious, they both overinflate the danger they face while downplaying the very real hazards of being, say, a black atheist in a deeply religious southern community.

Couldn't stop thinking about it, and was curious if posters ITT had any thoughts on the issue of risk associated with being an outspoken atheist. Who are the thinkers out there today actually putting themselves in harm's way? I'm sure they exist but the ones who crow the most about being 'dangerous' or 'persecuted' tend to be folks who don't need to rely on community to survive.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

it's a pretty common plot thread, like the ten-thousand heist movies that are mostly the same but can be good individually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I'm not reading all of that but I did count sentences, compacting quotes-

seven very big boy sentences