Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

1stGear posted:

"I tried to make Occupy as ideologically inclusive to as many groups as possible."

Yeah, that worked out real well for Occupy.
That quote's an interesting cognitive pretzel pretty much any way you look at it, since she's apparently trying to take personal credit for the ideological direction of an ostensibly populist movement. We are the 99%, but some of us are more 99% than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

She uses the words "I" and "my" as frequently as all other words. Did she actually have anything to do with Occupy?
She created the twitter account and registered the domain name. Beyond that...well it is apparently complicated:

The Daily Beast posted:

With one tweet—“This Twitter handle is now back under the management of its founder: @JustineTunney. Let’s start a revolution”—and an accompanying selfie of a short-haired, bespectacled transwoman sporting a statement necklace, the faceless revolution had a face.
[...]
“The movement lost the way,” she tweeted to Anonymous’s @YourAnonNews. “There were far too many people leeching off the movement to promote themselves and special interests. So I stepped in and stopped it,” she wrote in a second tweet.
And so on.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

bartlebyshop posted:

Michael Anissimov posted:

Even more effective is the system similar to monarchical Europe, where the elites were related by blood and more related to one another than to their subjects. This builds a sense of mutual respect, understanding, and camaraderie that today’s politicians can only blink in confusion about.
I think blinking in confusion over this statement is a perfectly normal reaction for anyone remotely familiar with Mediaeval politics.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Well see if you put atoms together in this way, it looks like a gear! Therefore it will work as a gear and there are no nanoscale effects re: van der waals forces, thermal jitteriness, etc. that will be an issue. Next stop, universal replicators!
Now I want someone to try to build some nano-scale Lehmer chains.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

bartlebyshop posted:

I see no way that Red Pill ideology and ridiculous legalism could ever conflict with each other leading to a terrible outcome.
You don't say.

And that's not even counting poo poo like The Hundred Years' War.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

...assume your enemy is the embodiment of pure primordial evil and possesses such power, subtlety, and wickedness that literally any expenditure of resources is justified to fight them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

But didn't we already do both of those by electing Reagan?
When have we not done this?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

TinTower posted:

Harry Potter Becomes a Communist posted:

"How do you know they were the Dark Ages?" asked Hagrid monarchically. "Were you there? Liberal democracy has every reason to portray itself as superior to the system which came before it. Maybe it was propaganda when the scary violence of the French Revolution was labeled the Enlightenment and the wonderful stability of the Habsburgs was labeled the Dark Ages. Maybe there was some enlightenment in the so-called dark times. That's why we call ourselves the Dark Enlightenment."
:allears:
Is the gimmick here that Hagrid is supposed to be comically ill-informed about the history of these terms? The secular use of the term `the Dark Ages' was originally (by Petrarch) a commentary on the paucity of written material (literature, history, and so on) produced during the era. Use of the term `the Enlightenment' is largely, in English, a Victorian-era invention (by Victorians who thought that the French Revolution signified its death); the same propagandists could not conceivably be responsible for both terms.

On the other hand, this suggests reading `the Dark Enlightenment' as `the Unproductive Enlightenment', which is eerily apt.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

You can't make this stuff up.

Bonus points for not realizing that "Magi" is plural.
Welcome to the Order, initiate. You are a grand, uh...roll 2d10...a grand svirfneblin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Someone who's read more SSC than I have can probably give a more accurate account of this, but you know in America, states that tend to vote Republican are called "red states" and states that tend to vote Democrat are called "blue states"?

Well, some Less Wrong people, in their drive to feel superior, begin to refer to Republicans and Democrats as "the red tribe" and "the blue tribe" in partial analogy to a pair of feuding chariot teams in Ancient Rome whose conflicts caused riots and affected politics.
I'm not at all familiar with the SSC backstory for the terms, but based on this description it sounds like a reference to the chariot teams of Constantinople, not Rome. The teams were identified by colour (Blues, Greens, Whites, and Reds), had fanatical and highly organised fans, and conflict among them led to the Nika Riots, which resulted in nearly half of the city being burnt to the ground.