Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Goon Danton posted:

Probably most of them. God substitutes breed like rabbits in the ruins of nu atheism.
Sorry for the tangent but this reminded me that I got really bored with talking about AI when I realized most people were anticipating something that was all-knowing, existed outside the human condition and would tell humanity what that best choice is. I have stated that to a couple of people and they really do not get the irony.

side_burned has a new favorite as of 01:16 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

divabot posted:

So my blockchain blog is starting to cross back to talking about the transhumanists. This is 1200 words I hope you will enjoy.
ICO of the day: CryoGen — bringing crypto and cryonics back together once more

When I read Lovecraft this more or less what I imagine elder god worshiping cultist write like. You would need to do a word replace on few nouns but other than that this is what imagine the Necronomicon reads like.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

SolTerrasa posted:

Sam Harris should really not agree to do debates.
My favorite is a debate between Chris Hedges and Sam Harris that was hosted by Truthdig and moderate by Robert Scheer about ten years ago. You can see Scheer become more more horrified at what Harris says. There was something very weak about the intellectual culture (for lack of a better term) during the Bush years. The fact the the New Atheists where had any clout is a strange phenomenon and it feels like it took a solid decade to expose them as intellectual charlatans and neocon windup dolls.

For comedy value nothing beats Harris picking an email fight with Chomsky and loosing badly in it and then asking for Chomsky's permission to make those emails public. Sam's ego something else.

Edit: I am listen to that podcast with Harris and Klien, that fact the Harris makes the conversation about people being mean to him rather than about the scholarship of the Bellcurve is loving hilarious. Harris has spent his whole carrere as a public figure saying he has PHD in neuroscience how can I be wrong. :smug: Klien just dives into the history of America racism and implication of Murray's work and you can hear Harris scrambling to just think of something to say and make drat sure that what he says is about people being mean to him.

side_burned has a new favorite as of 07:47 on Apr 23, 2018

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Somfin posted:

It's important to note that Yud is not a coder and does not understand, at a fundamental level, what computers actually do.

So Yud is basically a computer/tech/science/reason equivalent of a guy who walks around with sign that says "THE END IS NEAR."

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

World War Mammories posted:

presumably thiel hopes it'll help him live forever if "literally consuming the blood of the young" doesn't shake out

eschaton posted:

Thiel is terrified of dying and he’s worried about evil AI being what kills him even though he’s been made immortal by regular infusions of twink blood.

So Theil is a villain in a cyberpunk movie?

EDIT: I take that back. Theil is a boss monster from Bloodbourn.

side_burned has a new favorite as of 20:45 on Apr 26, 2018

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

divabot posted:

Robin Hanson is at it again

https://twitter.com/robinhanson/status/989535565895864320

this one has actually taken off, to mass revulsion

Dr Hanson seems actually surprised that people found his lovely reasoned discussion tweet odious in any manner

There are some many mean jokes that could be to made at this assholes expense that end in him being told to go gently caress himself.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

divabot posted:

this man is not only married, but still married

Is she chained to a radiator?

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Somfin posted:

it's not even incorrect, it's just fantasy.

Such a big part of the the DE are nerds who read a bunch of Tor paperbacks and think they now know what the future is going to be, because specific writers predict the future :smug:. The intellectual mediocrity and narcissism of it is the only interesting thing about it and only in the train wreck kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

When the National Review is "center-right" to you, you have lost your goddamn mind.

Don Gato posted:

Everything to the left of Breitbart is "center right", try to keep up with the new normal.

I wish at least one of you was wrong.