Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Can someone who is more familiar with this insanity explain how Nick Land is involved? He was actually an intellectual figure in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Zohar posted:

Well, Nick Land laid out the definitive systematisation of "the dark enlightenment" in his eponymous essay and to a large extent it's a logical upshot of some aspects of his earlier thinking. He's probably singlehandedly the most influential force in defining them as a single "thing".

Like you said his earlier philosophy is fascinating and occasionally brilliant -- there's a reason he was so enormously influential in certain circles of British philosophy. He does actually still sometimes write interesting things, like his booklet from this November on templexity is a decent read I think, though not exactly stellar philosophy. I would say he's probably the only genuine intellectual in their camp, though even then most of his current output is garbage.

What's really gone on with him is hard to say. Accepting his turn against the traditional left, which is obvious from pretty much the beginning of his writings, it still seems contradictory to the point of surreality that someone so invested in breathless acceleration would support self-proclaimed reactionaries (though the example of Marinetti is, I guess, telling).

The most attractive explanation, I think, is that he's put it on for show -- maybe in the nietzschean way of weakening your opponents by supporting them with stupid arguments. In reality though he probably just self-identified too naively with his favourite hobbyhorses of neodeleuzian schizophrenia, antihumanism, and the bataillean defence of evil and is acting out in an increasingly vapid way his fantasy of being an ~evil genius~.

I'd love to write in more depth about him actually since he's someone whose development I'm really interested in analysing as part of my broader academic research at the moment but my laptop has shat the bed so I'm stuck on mobile at the moment.

I actually don't think he's contributed anything meaningful to philosophy, but at least he was an intellectual. Now apparently he thinks he's the joker? Alright Nick, have fun watching the world burn