Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Goddammit if we accept that it's possible to pretend like the characters are darker than parchment paper, will you accept that, given the time period, cultural milieu, and writings of the author, he probably meant for them to be White?

This was an annoyingly disingenuous argument when I last saw it on tumblr and it hasn't gotten less so, especially since it distracts from making fun of racist manchildren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Curvature of Earth posted:

Clever of Clarkhat, really. Asserting that blacks have no agency lets him ignore the fact that they suffer the most under the government's hand (something that he cannot abide as a white rich anarcho-capitalist, lest he be forced to acknowledge that they're the ones actually working to change things while he does jack poo poo to fight the Cathedral he supposedly hates so much).

So I guess Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman didn't contribute poo poo, then?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The funny thing about SA causing tumblrites is, as far as I can tell, most of tumblr seems to know SA as "the forum that put up paywalls so we couldn't read the Dangan Ronpa translation for free anymore, THOSE ASSHOLES!!!" and nothing else.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SolTerrasa posted:

That's why I like mocking LessWrong so much: not only are they mostly intelligent people, they also worship the concept of intelligence, and so their mental backflips have to be more intricate.

Actually, it's the opposite: intelligent people can be more susceptible to dumb poo poo, because the only backflip they need is "I am too smart to fall for dumb poo poo, therefore anything I believe is automatically correct and needs no examination."

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

For a movement founded by atheists, they keep loving adding stupid new memeplex and general tendencies based Gods, because meta-level politics are where STEM hubris and Mrs Henderson's 5th Grade Social Studies Class meet.

I assume a lot of this is just a holdover from people who grew up in Fundamentalist culture, which is SUUUUUPER big on Rationalism and the idea that you can figure the world out by making assumptions and backing them up with smart-sounding words. I see a lot of atheists from these backgrounds who've rejected the assumption of God but haven't made it out of the cultural underpinnings that came with it, so they just end up blundering into the same religion but with a different deity.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

P. sure Attack on Titan was made by a literal Japanese Nationalist who supports the WWII war crimes, so there's that.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Oligopsony posted:

I wouldn't rank Scott as the most self-aware of people generally, but the simplest explanation works here: a big chunk of the LW diaspora is on tumblr, and he wants a place to engage with them that's less "official" than his own blog and also a place to write things that aren't so "endorsed" (hence "scratchpad,") and deleting from the tumblr is an inconscipuous way to de-endorse it as much as he can.

The post itself is pretty silly, of course, but I'm in favor of people being able to spitball ideas through writing without it sticking to them forever.

Tumblr is basically the worst place for that, though, since the second a post is reblogged, it is pretty much permanently attached to your name and blog. Even if you later redact or edit your post, it's being reblogged in its original form to a bunch of strangers. In the worst cases, you'll be getting responses years later from people who think it's something that just happened, and usually have no way of seeing any conversation that's happened around it already.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nessus posted:

I understand why a lot of these jerks would have anime avatars, and not even just like - "ha ha, everyone else has a Random Anime Girl Face, I'll get some random anime girl face too" ones. My real question is how they reconcile this love of the aneems with all this pro-Western pro-white pro-Christianity stuff. Do they consider the Japanese to be honorary whites? Do they consider Japanese animism to be a font of masculine paganist virtue?

A lot of people believe that anime characters are all supposed to be white, despite living in Japan and having Japanese names.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

There's gamma males now? What're they gonna do after they fill up the entire goddamn Greek alphabet with shades of men who supposedly can't get any poontang?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nessus posted:

Yeah, many of us perceive arguments over the heritability of general intelligence to be very strongly correlated with "why blacks are just INFERIOR, so we need to cut welfare."

I think that's the main issue, because I haven't really seen Cingulate argue anything of the sort, just put forth ideas that seem to hit as false positives because they're so tangled up in racism over here that only racists would bother pursuing them.

His statements don't seem terribly unreasonable to me, though I'm not really sure there's enough substantial data around for anyone to make any real conclusions beyond "more info needed."

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Homie edited out his previous posts and instead seems to hope people will photoshop him because I guess if you ask the mean kids to bully you that makes you cool by law of Opposite Day or something?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

TERFs usually call themselves "Gender-Critical Feminists" or similar, the idea being that only sex is real and gender is an invention of the patriarchy. Of course, at the same time, the patriarchal delineation of gender is absolute and binary and must be policed rigorously. It's like fish denying the existence of water, you know?

I dunno why they dislike "Trans-Exclusive Radical Feminist"- it's simply descriptive. I suspect it's more that they know it's a term which is tarnished in the public eye and getting upset makes them the victims rather than the people they work to help victimize.

I always had the impression that they started off using "TERF," but then that became an object of scorn and ridicule, so they dropped it and came up with a new, connotation-free term. Much like the constant changing of words for people with mental retardation.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's because it's nerds feeling defensive about their lifestyle and political views. You are on a forum/forums that are populated almost exclusively by nerds. It's like trying to discuss taxes in an engineering workplace without libertarians overrunning the conversation.

I think it's even more that there are a bunch of people in the movement that just plain can't tolerate any questioning of their views, so they fight like motherfuckers to try and shout it down, aiming for that one sweet day when nobody bothers to say that maybe the uncritical pursuit of video game escapism as lifestyle is at best a hollow, sad endeavor. In short, probably untreated mental illness.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Whatever happened to "The Empire is cool and it's just a movie so I don't literally have to be a fascist space wizard to justify this"?

Geeks aren't really keen on the "It's just a movie" bit. Possibly because if it's not world-changing, they can't paint the people mocking them as uncultured buffoons.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Is there a way to block certain YouTube channels entirely so you never see them in your recommendations or YouTube front page? I'm subscribed to Feminist Frequency so any time Anita Sarkeesian posts a new video I'm bombarded with recommendations for the latest bullshit "response" by The Amazing rear end in a top hat ("Anita Sarkeesian vs. Butts" is the latest one) or Shitlord of Akkad and I just want to never see any of them ever again.

Tampermonkey has a block YT channel script that does just this. The only issue I've found is that it doesn't work on offsite embeds.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

So far as I can tell (Jesus Christ that man tweets like a machine gun!) he linked a video song making fun of a particular feminist, then learned that she's received death threats and the usual, so deleted that tweet, and the rest seems to be a lot of douches going, "Yeah but she probably made that all up and feminists are evil and nobody should be unhappy about that video."

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jeeee-zus, how loving naive is this man that he can't believe people send threats of violence? Like, does he literally think that Muslim extremist assholes are somehow objectively different from Western assholes, who are incapable of violence? THIS is a respected intellectual?!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Y'all are aware that not all Islam is extreme fundamentalist Islam, right? For the normal people kind, there's no more need for feminists to hate/fear it than there is for them to hate/fear Christianity or any other religion. The feminism I'm most familiar with is 100% OK with Islam and all, because it recognizes that Muslim women have the choice to follow the precepts of their religion as they like, and aren't all forced into modest clothing and weeping over not being able to dress as Hooters waitresses 24/7 or whatever.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Cingulate posted:

1. Scott is absolutely, beyond doubt, not neoreactionary. He's probably left of the American center on nearly every issue.

Given the right wing efforts to drag our Overton Window off a cliff, I'd assume that pretty much any random person with half a brain is left of the American center on most issues.

EDIT: Christ, what a terrible way to start a page.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

For a guy who's totally not a racist neoreactionary you sure spend a lot of time talking about how anyone who thinks darkies aren't biologically inferior is delusional.

Cingulate's problem is that he gets waaaaayyyyyy too hung up on niggling inaccuracies that literally don't matter to someone's overall point, but apparently matter a great deal to him.

Which is not to say that his derails aren't grating, just that I don't think he's defending the racist poo poo so much as being an obnoxious nitpicker. Like I have no idea what all the statistics arglebargle was in specific, but I could follow enough to tell that it's more about "you're doing the math wrong IT'S WRONG DAMMIT AND I CAN'T ACCEPT A WRONG MATH!"

Mostly I'd just like to see less Cingulate derails in general because they're not terribly interesting or applicable to the topic and are usually the same thing over and over.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The bitcoin thread has me reading that as "Magic the Gathering: Online eWchange"

"Ew" is the reaction I have to MGTOW philosophy.... :v:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I feel Clark no longer has the rights to the shared hat now that he's been kicked off Popehat.

He needs to be ClarkHead now, or Clark White Pointed Hood

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Somfin posted:

Also remember that culture has a huge amount to do with it. At my university in New Zealand, for example, you could count the number of right-wing true believers in the computer science / software engineering faculty on two fingers. One was widely regarded as an ignorant loving moron and the other one was such a total workaholic that I got the sense that strict adherence to libertarian ideology was the only thing that kept her going.

Yeah, I was gonna say, Cing's German, right? Maybe STEMlords aren't as much a thing across the pond, as opposed to in the US, where there's a huuuuuuge contingent of "Beep boop, social and economic factors are not a thing, every factor of your life is solely based on Personal Ability."*

I mean, really, Cingulate, you know that when folks talk about STEM people, they know #NotAllSTEM, right?

*Probably because they're often really shy, sheltered dudes who haven't had to spend any time examining the American Dream mythologies we get fed here from the moment we leave the womb. (I mean poo poo, how much does it suck to go from "I am successful because I worked hard and am smart yay me!" to "I am successful because I happened to win the parents lottery, and it's quite possible none of my success was actually due to me, personally." That's difficult, scary stuff. Especially when you pile it on top of the usual lovely life stuff most people have. Nobody wants to spend time thinking about that junk when they get home from a frustrating day of work.)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nessus posted:

Yeah that's pretty gross.
:shrug: this hasn't ever been my subjective experience. I am not particularly eager to die but the prospect doesn't fill me with fundamental terror.

Given that this has been true for a bunch of people in my family, maybe this is something inherited. But which is more adaptive... the terror of death... or the lack of it?

I'm no scientist, but it seems likely that lower levels of both would be adaptive: the former leading families who have it to take fewer dangerous risks and thus making them more likely to survive, the latter making families more likely to take risks for a beneficial goal. Putting both together in a group would probably be the most beneficial, since then you have both traits shoring up the other's weakness.

Evolution is rarely a zero-sum game.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

It looks like another term they use is "Journalistic Ethics Warriors". Yup, nothing hateful here, they're just talking about a conspiracy of JEWs.

Knowing the source, that's probably 100% intentional.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Many humans are terrified of death.

Many humans are not terrified of death.

There are probably a lot of humans in the Dark Enlightenment who are terrified of death.

It would be nice to talk about that again instead of about who among the posters here fear or do not fear death, and how strong or weak this makes them.

Jesus, at least the Cingulate derails are vaguely germane to the topic!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker: Actually, let's discuss humanity's psychological responses to the fear of death, that sounds a lot more fun. gently caress staying on topic, I have a philosophy to defend!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

divabot posted:

After su3su2u1 got driven off, Argumate - who is a programmer who has actually read Norvig & Russell - decided to talk about their claims more. So Scott warned him he was "burning through a limited stock of good will." As Argumate responded:

Since tumblr conversation is such a pain to read, here's a reformat to sane people mode:

argumate posted:

Coming up next in Rational Discourse Theatre:
Are our opponents stupid, actively malicious, or simply misinformed??

corpus vak posted:

This sounds somewhat like the failure mode of other categories of people that I will hint darkly at. Here watch me hint darkly. The dark hinting is happening, I think?

argumate posted:

It is the most common failure mode, unfortunately.
If only there was a way to teach people how to recognise when they are wrong.

corpus vak posted:

We could at least have some kind of website dedicated to being better at observing when they are wrong and attempt to mitigate their biases etc etc feel free to complete this joke at your own leisure.

argumate posted:

Unfortunately where could we find someone capable of making such a website?
The intellectuals of this age waste away their lives in ivory towers, frivolously researching pointless trivialities with their suspect methodologies, while the philosophers masturbate furiously before their busts of Plato.
It would need to be someone young, relatively uneducated, untainted by the stink of the academy, bold in their predictions, confident in their assertions, eloquent in their rhetoric, and skilled at writing fan-fiction to attract more readers.
Unless such a saviour appears, humanity is surely doomed.

(Ironically, on the user dashboard, things are now sorted like normal comments; it's only on individual blog pages that everything is nested to hell and back. Tumblr is the worst site for discussion, which just makes it even more baffling that people are trying to have discussions on it.)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The greatest snipe ever told.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Cingulate posted:

Science fact: nobody knows what sleep is good for, to the extent that we can't even exclude that you could do completely without.

It's been proven that you suck a lot at everything on sleep deprivation, and you die after a long enough time.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Eh, Cingulate's main problem is that he wants to talk like a scientist in a thread where we mostly just want to laugh at assholes. So he ends up picking at teensy little nits that don't matter to the overall goal of "ha ha ha look at this dumb poo poo!" but would matter in an academic setting. It's just that most of us accept that there's tacit riders of things like "as far as we know" or whatever, and he hasn't figured that out.

Uh, basically, Cing, you should probably resist the urge to post nitpicks here, because it just doesn't go well. I know it's difficult, but it's for the best. Just sit back and laugh at the terrible antics of DE idiots.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Cingulate posted:

That's a mostly plausible interpretation of what I'm doing and the general thread dynamics, but the other side of this is: when I said "as far as we know, the purpose of sleep is unclear", people got really upset. I'm sure almost all of my nitpicks actually are something of the form "actually, I wouldn't be sure of that" or "I think you're overconfident". If there was a tacit "as far as we know" in what I'm responding to, then it would be really easy to respond with "yeah, I meant that, you stupid pendant". But that is not the response. The response is "you're stupid, science clearly knows why people sleep".

I'm claiming, you're correct, with the exception of the tacit "as far as we know". People here are grossly overconfident in both their, and absolute, knowledge on subjects.

... was that a nitpick on my part?

I think a part of the issue is also that you tend to present your replies in a pretty adversarial form, which may be either a cultural academic thing, or a cultural/linguistic thing (you're native German, IIRC?) Making more of an emphasis on "Yeah, that's probably true, but..." might help, except that a lot of people have already decided you're some kind of DE sympathizer, instead of just a garden variety gadfly.

Like I think a lot of it is just a bunch of assumptions about motives, and you're not wrong, but it usually ends up being a dumb derail because you're ultimately making corrections and stuff that don't make a real difference to the discussion.

I don't care too much about the derails, since they're usually interesting, just they get annoying when people get their dander up, and that might be a sign to quit engaging, if only because you're not going to convince someone who's pissed at you.

And that's the end of my dumb Cingulate derail posting for now.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I want to hear more about the prime number personalities. It's neat. :allears:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Tumblr changed their comment threading several months ago. Now it's all equally spaced and it's way easier to read.

Only if you're a tumblr user reading on your dash. The horrible pyramids still exist on every user tumblog I've seen. It's kind of the worst advertisement.

(Then again, given how poo poo tumblr is for conversation, I guess they don't care about advertising their text functions.)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Magnusth posted:

I used to follow thunderfoot just to laugh at creationists and because sceince is neat (and because i was very into "new atheism" in my teen years). This is sad to see, but not really unexpected.

Yeah, I saw him doing stuff via some other atheist dudes I followed, and he always struck me as more interested in mocking people and saying how stupid they were than in actually addressing what their problems were. Just a big ol' ball of annoyingly smug hatefulness and little else.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SolTerrasa posted:

Huh. Is that a widely-held belief among experts, is Phil an expert himself, or should I be drawing parallels to Yudkowsky?

Is this something that really matters in the area of "gee, those DE fellers sure are strange"?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

BobHoward posted:

I don't think Curtis Yarvin's life sucked either before or after Peter Thiel threw a million bucks at him.

(e: in terms of material needs that is)

Honestly, the material doesn't matter as much as the mental. I expect a lot of reactionary types have some kind of undiagnosed depression or other issues; I can remember feeling a lot of "I am unhappy and hate my life" growing up despite basically having one of the best situations ever. (And knowing it.)

Things improved immensely once I got on SSRIs and started being able to wrangle with the dumb poo poo coming out of my brain.

I think a lot of reactionaries just assume that "I'm not happy because of these other people loving things up." If they got everything they wanted, they'd probably still be unhappy, because the problem is their brains loving with them.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Curvature of Earth posted:

Like, reading their posts, you'd think NRxers were personally assaulted by Andrea Dworkin before walking in on their wife literally cμckolding them with an immigrant, but no, they're the least interesting people in the world, and the most stress they've ever experienced is the time they studied for the SAT.

It's the same reason for the wackos on the other end of the political spectrum: If you don't experience a lot of real suffering, your threshold gets warped, and then it's "feminazi stole my ice cream" and "I am oppressed by nobody using my special bunself pronouns" time.

They're legitimately suffering, in that it's worse than anything they've had to deal with, but it's more an indication they need soe coping skills and probably to go outside for a while.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Condemning people directly related and people in charge: good

Condemning people not in charge and not directly related: not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

I can't believe that hitmen actually exist. I know there are people who murder others as part of their jobs, but the economics of being a person whose sole source of income is going out and killing others for a flat fee paid by strangers who find you through personal connections or secret ads just can't work, can they?

Mafia hitmen are also into selling illegal poo poo and protection schemes and illegal loans, and their murders are in the context of furthering their own careers or increasing the competitive advantages of their organization. Tv has taught a generation of idiots that they can just pay ten grand to a stranger to kill somebody.

I expect it's a "have a day job" situation, like acting and visual art. Probably a more secure career choice than those, though.