Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Looks like the GoTG roster is gonna get the Age of Ultron treatment going forward.

Maybe this is leading into Adam Warlock joining them in preparation for Infinity War?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Scyantific posted:

Looks like the GoTG roster is gonna get the Age of Ultron treatment going forward.

Maybe this is leading into Adam Warlock joining them in preparation for Infinity War?

Kill Quill. Have Yondu take over.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Having recently rewatched the movie on bluray I just want to say that if anyone doesn't like it just a little bit then they're a legitimately terrible human being with no soul, this is just the way things are I'm afraid.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Deakul posted:

Having recently rewatched the movie on bluray I just want to say that if anyone doesn't like it just a little bit then they're a legitimately terrible human being with no soul, this is just the way things are I'm afraid.

How are the extras? Any good commentaries?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Officer Farva posted:

Kill Quill. Have Yondu take over.

The series without Andy would not be as good.......

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BexGu posted:

It's worth the price of the blu-ray for the outtake where instead of Ronan saying what are you doing, he folds his arms, yells at Quill "It's on!" and starts doing a lame two-step.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

BexGu posted:

Haven't looked at anything but the outtakes which are hilarious.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I finally watch this now that it came out on Blu-Ray and while I liked it more than the Avengers it still lacks substance. It's a big spectacle with a crackin' wise hero and lots of explosions but that's pretty much it. I know it's supposed to be a popcorn summer action movie and all it really needs is jokes and explosions to make a zillion dollars but other movies have done the same thing and did it a lot better.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Overbite posted:

I finally watch this now that it came out on Blu-Ray and while I liked it more than the Avengers it still lacks substance. It's a big spectacle with a crackin' wise hero and lots of explosions but that's pretty much it. I know it's supposed to be a popcorn summer action movie and all it really needs is jokes and explosions to make a zillion dollars but other movies have done the same thing and did it a lot better.

Can you name some of them? Not being snarky here, if you know some more movies that do the same stuff as GotG but better then let 'er rip, i'm in the mood for some fun.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

MrFlibble posted:

Can you name some of them? Not being snarky here, if you know some more movies that do the same stuff as GotG but better then let 'er rip, i'm in the mood for some fun.

I was thinking big action movies in general such as Die Hard, all 3 Rambo films, Commando, Terminator 1 and 2, things like that. Full of action like GotG but don't feel as empty.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Overbite posted:

I was thinking big action movies in general such as Die Hard, all 3 Rambo films, Commando, Terminator 1 and 2, things like that. Full of action like GotG but don't feel as empty.

Terminator 1 and 2 are good but I wouldn't think of them being the same sort of films as GotG, or rather they didn't entertain me in the same way. Die Hard is closer but still its apples and oranges.

Although I do agree GotG is probably a bit empty on its own, I imagine I enjoyed it more than someone who has no knowledge of comics would.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Overbite posted:

So basically nothing past 1992?

Die Hard was great for 1988, T2 was great for 1992, and GotG was great for 2014. I don't know if longevity really measures up the same across eras, though. I thought GotG had wonderful heart. For GotG, the villain is probably its weakest aspect, which most of the movies you list excel at. But . GotG wasn't a technological marvel helmed by James Cameron like T2. GotG is popcorn fare spanning galaxies with memorable, likable characters. They may all be spectacles, but they have different means of storytelling and a different level of awe delivered to the audience.

And, on a different note, I really don't know if I'd list two of those three Rambo movies plus Commando on the same tier as the Terminators and Die Hard. I can understand presenting the argument that GotG lacks the substance of Die hard or T2, but loving Commando is thinner than phyllo dough.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

If you want a TV series that's pretty much GotG:The Series you should check out Farscape.

Strange wise cracking alien outlaws aplenty there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Overbite posted:

I'd compare GotG more to movies like Back to the Future that are just fun to watch. Die Hard's in that category too, I guess, but most summer action blockbusters (terminator, matrix, etc) have a lot more tension and danger and fear in them. GotG is just fun all the way through. It's very saturday morning cartoons like that.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I guess my feelings on it is that it's nothing I'm going to be going back to years from now and thinking man that was a great film. I wasn't bored while watching it and it had its good parts but like you guys mentioned, the villain was pretty weak. At least he felt more threatening than Loki did in Avengers.

Also Commando is a priceless work of art.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Marvel has a seriously hard time with good villains in the movies, it's like they're afraid to make them interesting, I'm afraid of what they'll do with Thanos.
Loki is literally the only one that had any personality so far.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd compare GotG more to movies like Back to the Future that are just fun to watch. Die Hard's in that category too, I guess, but most summer action blockbusters (terminator, matrix, etc) have a lot more tension and danger and fear in them. GotG is just fun all the way through. It's very saturday morning cartoons like that.

Yeah, Back to the Future is very similar in tone to GotG for me, too. That's a great comparison I wouldn't have thought of.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

GOTG have many things in common with The Fifth Element.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Deakul posted:

Marvel has a seriously hard time with good villains in the movies, it's like they're afraid to make them interesting, I'm afraid of what they'll do with Thanos.
Loki is literally the only one that had any personality so far.

Well to be fair, Loki is also like one of the only villains to survive past one film.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Away all Goats posted:

Well to be fair, Loki is also like one of the only villains to survive past one film.

He was left for dead in Thor (at least as much as Red Skull was) and he wasn't really that interesting in Avengers.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I bet they throw in Ironman down the road when they need to give Robert Downey Jr. a truckload more money.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

computer parts posted:

He was left for dead in Thor (at least as much as Red Skull was) and he wasn't really that interesting in Avengers.

He shines dramatically in Thor and comedically in Thor 2 since most of the latter is him trolling his big dumb brother

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MrFlibble posted:

The Sorcerer's Apprentice and National Treasure immediately spring to mind.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Binary Badger posted:

It's worth the price of the blu-ray for the outtake where instead of Ronan saying what are you doing, he folds his arms, yells at Quill "It's on!" and starts doing a lame two-step.

I don't have a blu-ray player, but luckily for me that moment is on youtube.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Pander posted:

So basically nothing past 1992?

He's actually Peter Quill :ssh:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The MSJ posted:

GOTG have many things in common with The Fifth Element.

GotG and The Fifth Element are the only good Star Wars movies.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

You just hate Star Wars.

:suicide:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Now I am thinking Korben Dallas needs to join the Guardians team.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I wanted to append your list with Galaxy Quest, but that's Trek, not Wars. Definitely the same mold as GotG though.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Whoever suggested Farscape oh man thank you so much. This is awesome.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

rear end Catchcum posted:

Another one converted, makes me tear up. :australia::911::allears:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

rear end Catchcum posted:

That show is loving awesome, it keeps getting significantly better as it goes on.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well, until the end of season 3 at least.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
This was seriously the movie of 2014. I've rarely felt the level of warmth and interconnectedness from a cast that I did in this movie, and you can tell from all the features and bloopers and stuff that they just had a great time making this thing together. It's well above the pack of all the Marvel movies, TBH I don't think of it as a 'comic book' movie, it really belongs in the category of fantasy space opera with Star Wars, Dune, Fifth Element and whatever else. Like I try to restrain myself when talking about movies----I never want to be that guy who says "BEST THING EVER!!!" everytime the next $400 million franchise sequel comes out but I feel like this movie deserves that kind of enthusiasm.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I saw it, I enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised that Rocket was an actual character and not some time waster they threw in for completeness' sake. I loved how misleading the trailer turned out to be. The action sequences with Star Lord were very reminiscent of Iron Man 3's partial suit fight scene which ruled. It's obviously not perfect but it's way better than anything I could have hoped for with how much these movies have lowered my expectations by now.

edit: I just remember I was a bit confused at the ending when the movie turned into a WKUK skit.

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 16, 2014

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well, until the end of season 3 at least.

And then it gets even better until the end of season 4!... but then you decide to look up something to get a sense of resolution and realize they made a pretty kick rear end miniseries to wrap it up!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I just watched it on netflix but I missed a line: what was Nebula's parting line to Gamora? Something about being crazy?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I just watched it on netflix but I missed a line: what was Nebula's parting line to Gamora? Something about being crazy?

I don't remember it exactly, but it was basically "All of you are crazy, I'm out." She basically decides that she hates everyone involved in this, and wants no part of it, and then fucks off out of the movie in the most hilarious way possible.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't remember it exactly, but it was basically "All of you are crazy, I'm out." She basically decides that she hates everyone involved in this, and wants no part of it, and then fucks off out of the movie in the most hilarious way possible.

It's something refreshingly sane for a villain.

James Gunn did say she'll be given more to do in the sequel. Which is good because there's not enough Nebula/Karen Gillan in this movie but what little we see of her is pretty good ("Thanks, dad.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

G: "Sister, take my hand. Help us fight Ronan. You know he's crazy!"
N: "You're both crazy." <cuts her own hand off and falls from a hovering spaceship!>

• Locked thread