Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

ToastyNark posted:

I became suspicious that a certain someone may be gaining information privy to only myself and my lawyers when I was seemingly preemptively served with a motion that countered my intended course of rebuttal to said lawsuit.

Sure enough I checked my gmail login report history to find that someone in California (I live in NY) has been regularly accessing my email at around the same time every day for the past few weeks. I changed my password Monday. Sure enough the same California based IP logged in this morning at around 6:30am my time. Being that I do not have the premier or paid version of google apps for business I do not have access to their tech support or help hotlines; and I am unsure of exactly what avenues of recourse I have in terms of finding who this person is and how to prove what they may or may not have been doing in my inbox with my privileged correspondence to my lawyers.

The person I am engaged with in the lawsuit is currently setting up office in California which leads me to believe that this is not coincidence...The thing that really stymies me is that they have managed to login despite the password changes so I do not think they are acting alone; I do not believe he is tech savvy enough to actually hack my account himself.

I know that turning on two step verification is a must at this point, but I am hoping that I can figure out my next moves before inadvertently tipping them off that I know they're rooting around my inbox.

Looking for any suggestions or past experience to help me figure out my next moves. I've also made my lawyers aware of the issue and am using an account created specifically to communicate with them.
Google authenticator first and foremost. Consider setting up a separate account strictly for communication with your lawyers.

Now for my terrible non-lawyer advice:

Retain a local copy of the IP access log, preferably via screenshot and regular copy-paste. If I were you I'd ask my lawyers if it could be worked it to my advantage - like for instance, if the other party were indeed illegally accessing your emails, you could move to have some of their evidence excluded, countersue, press criminal charges, etc.

Or you could try setting up a honeypot. Have your lawyers send you an email carefully crafted in a manner which would cause the opposing party to take some kind of recognizable action on it - like another motion, for instance. It's circumstantial but I think if you make it specific enough you would have very strong proof.

Also try asking in the legal questions thread in A/T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread