Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Entropist, I ain't be participating in this, but I love your styles. Every track needs that kind of introduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

uXs posted:

I hit the Entro Exit too. The bottom of it. With the nose of my car.

(Was a slow run too so whatever.)

Bonus points for hitting the EE?

I have relearned the hate for past me, past me pulls of BS moves, past me takes advantage of every little mistake. Past me keeps getting better.

Then you wipe a second off your time, pysically shout out "YES!" followed by the wife in the other room asking "Are you OK dear?"

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Bonus points for hitting the EE?

I have relearned the hate for past me, past me pulls of BS moves, past me takes advantage of every little mistake. Past me keeps getting better.

Then you wipe a second off your time, pysically shout out "YES!" followed by the wife in the other room asking "Are you OK dear?"

This is basically my Trackmania experience, except I also have a a two and four year-old who cheer when I get passed by past me. :3: And then complain that it's their turn to play "the car game".

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

RickVoid posted:

This is basically my Trackmania experience, except I also have a a two and four year-old who cheer when I get passed by past me. :3: And then complain that it's their turn to play "the car game".

Do you let them play and then watch as they cut 3 seconds off your best time? 'cos kids are bastards like that.

Also, I got up this morning, wrote a LP update, had ten mins before I had to make my breakfast so I decided to take this out for a spin.

I then wiped 1.7 seconds off my time. after spending 40 minutes last night trying to do the same.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ooooh, just found this thread. Ill probably have a time by tomorrow.

e: Or today. Is there any limit to the number of attempts we can submit? Not that I'm going to spam the inbox with lousy times, but just in case I happen to improve and want to submit the new one.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 4, 2014

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Grey Hunter posted:

I then wiped 1.7 seconds off my time. after spending 40 minutes last night trying to do the same.

Yeah, this happens a lot, at least to me. Coming back for another try when you're fresh can be amazing sometimes.

ViggyNash posted:

Ooooh, just found this thread. Ill probably have a time by tomorrow.

e: Or today. Is there any limit to the number of attempts we can submit? Not that I'm going to spam the inbox with lousy times, but just in case I happen to improve and want to submit the new one.

Just submit your single best/final time before the deadline--please don't make multiple submissions. :)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Probably done the best I'm going to - my dirt section and "last corner" are garbage but I'll have to play a shitload to get that last 0.5s that I can cut.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

Probably done the best I'm going to - my dirt section and "last corner" are garbage but I'll have to play a shitload to get that last 0.5s that I can cut.

The dirt is easy if you go over the large hump smoothly enough that you can cut inside the dirt bump. That way you don't go airborne. Easier said than done though because that hump is a really weird obstacle.

It's a strange thing how every time you set a new record, you immediately start finding new corners to cut that you didn't notice before, shaving off several tenths of a second at a time. Of course, finishing the track is half the battle in this game.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ViggyNash posted:

The dirt is easy if you go over the large hump smoothly enough that you can cut inside the dirt bump. That way you don't go airborne. Easier said than done though because that hump is a really weird obstacle.

It's a strange thing how every time you set a new record, you immediately start finding new corners to cut that you didn't notice before, shaving off several tenths of a second at a time. Of course, finishing the track is half the battle in this game.

Relatively garbage - I am cutting inside the dirt :)

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there a way to compare two replays with a camera above or something? My current best is really shoddy on the opening and I know I can improve, but in every other run I'm consistently losing at least half a second on the dirt and ending up behind my shameful wall touching PB. I can't work out why.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

MooCowlian posted:

Is there a way to compare two replays with a camera above or something? My current best is really shoddy on the opening and I know I can improve, but in every other run I'm consistently losing at least half a second on the dirt and ending up behind my shameful wall touching PB. I can't work out why.

Yes, you can do it using the replay editor.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

Relatively garbage - I am cutting inside the dirt :)

Unless you royally mess up somewhere in the middle of the dirt, I'm not sure what's there to improve. :shrug:

After cutting inside the dirt bump, I just hold right until I see that next bit of road and go as straight over the next bump as possible. The first and second dirt bumps are the only real obstacles on the dirt, as far as I can tell.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 5, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

MooCowlian posted:

Yeah, go to the replay editor and click all the replays you want to watch. You can overlay every single replay you've made on the track if you really want.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It feels pretty random to me. I feel like I'm perfectly straight, sometimes I jump smoothly over the bump, and sometimes I go flying in the wrong direction and it ruins the run.

It's scary because I know it all has to do with my approach angle, which depends on how wide I take that right turn, which depends on my speed and angle going through the previous checkpoint, which is different every time. The bumps are blind so I can't really adjust while turning, so I just have to turn and hope for the best.

I lost a run two nights ago that would've shaved around half of a second from my best time when I missed the final jump to the exit. The worst part is that I know I can do better now so I have to keep trying :(

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I've sailed through the gap between the two gates before, that annoying.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

I've sailed through the gap between the two gates before, that annoying.

I once managed to sail right between that arch of one of the finishes and the sign attached above it. I was more in awe than annoyed.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

I did that this evening but with the checkpoint on the big rollover before the dirt section. I really should have saved that replay.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The jump at the end into gates has cost me so many runs :smith:

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I hit the notscrub finish while shaving a full second from my best time; I think I'm done for the night. I was starting to despise my ghost, that loving smartass was taunting me...

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Got a decent time by now, probably enough to get at the middle of the rankings. Gonna keep polishing it because why not.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Just cut off an entire second from my time, and then flew straight over the top of the goalposts at the end. :suicide:

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

MooCowlian posted:

Just cut off an entire second from my time, and then flew straight over the top of the goalposts at the end. :suicide:

I think that happened to any single one of us racers at least once. Entropist :argh:

I still cringe every single time I take that jump and hope to god I don't fly over the one goal and under the next.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I guess my best run got the god bounce in the dirt section. I can be up a second past the hump, and then it's just failure every time.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Yeah, it can be kind of rough when you have one run where you do really well on the last couple of turns in a track and then have to get passed a bajillion times while trying to do better. Demoralizing.

It's possible to open up your best replay in the replay editor and quickly and easily see exactly what happened, or what specific line you took, etc.

It's not necessarily going to help, but it might...

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I hate the feeling that I can do better, but after several hours of trying, I think I hit my wall. It was a great wall for my standards, so I'm not unhappy at all. But that Entropist finish line is just smirking at me smugly, and I want to hit it so hard...

What do you guys use as your determining factor on when to call it quits and not drive yourself crazy?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I hate the feeling that I can do better, but after several hours of trying, I think I hit my wall. It was a great wall for my standards, so I'm not unhappy at all. But that Entropist finish line is just smirking at me smugly, and I want to hit it so hard...

What do you guys use as your determining factor on when to call it quits and not drive yourself crazy?

I usually know when I've only got a small amount left to squeeze out of myself (I posted about it earlier, in fact!). When it's going to take ages to pull off a decent enough run to beat my current one, I tap out.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Yeah, same for me. When I don't see a clear way to improve, or when that way is too difficult or random to do reliably while also finishing a fast run.
I could probably still get 0.3 seconds or so off my current run mostly in the second half, but since I had a really good start and only lost small amounts in various places, it's very hard to collect all that in one run without being slower somewhere.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I usually play until at least one of the following happens:
a) I go for a good while (15-20 minutes) without any improvement.
b) I have a really, really solid run, where I'm sure that any further gains will involve serious luck or perfection.
c) I'm not having any fun.

At that point I'll usually quit for at least a day or two, and if it was a) or c) I'll load up the track again another time or two and see if there's any change.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
First split to the post- hump split, I can eek out a second mostly by carrying more speed through that left turn. It's all gone by the time I hit the dirt split. I've probably got a few hundred restarts left in me, though.

This is my first Trackmania, and I only bought it Sunday night, so I'm interested to see how I do.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Clitch posted:

This is my first Trackmania, and I only bought it Sunday night, so I'm interested to see how I do.

You're in for a doozy.

I know I was.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Thanks whoever sent out the emails. I survived this thing back in 2010, so I'm definitely up for whatever gets thrown at me this year.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Lowen posted:

Thanks whoever sent out the emails. I survived this thing back in 2010, so I'm definitely up for whatever gets thrown at me this year.

I remember feeling like a bit of a dick when I made the first 10 seconds of that course. Little did I know how much of a big bunch of assholes Goons really can be.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I remember feeling like a bit of a dick when I made the first 10 seconds of that course. Little did I know how much of a big bunch of assholes Goons really can be.

I am so looking forward to this years goon track oh my god.

*EDIT* As a new job-haver (starting this monday!) I've got a feeling I'll be purchasing the full game before this is all said and done.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 7, 2014

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It doesn't look to bad. No one did the downright hellishly evil bit where you place a midair check point in a road piece so it acts like a normal checkpoint, just you can't spawn back at it. Put those before the harder, trial and error points and see everyone's time skyrocket.

Like an rear end in a top hat.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
If anyone would like to try a bit of a palette cleanser to give your brain a break from "Buffering and Pain", I just finished up a stadium track tonight.

It started with me messing around with the new block-mixing feature that Nadeo finally added to the standard editor, rather than forcing you to use a third-party app. I think it ended up pretty solid, and has some interesting transitions.

It's under 30 seconds long, and any feedback is welcome (either here, or on the track page). I *think* the AT is pretty tough, but I'm sure some of you will kick my rear end.

~twisty~

If any of you are working on any tracks yourself (other than the goontrack, obviously, which should stay a relative secret until it's finished), please feel free to post them and piss people off.

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
Looks like I'm gonna have to miss this. I don't think I could handle being relegated to an hour a day and I'm not in the financial position to justify spending :10bux: on games because that just leads down a bunch of :10bux: shaped holes. Best for me if I just don't.

I'll be following the videos though, and if any of you happen to post old TMU stuff I'll probably play that and get frustrated because the last time I practiced at all was the last gooncup. Might even build a track, who knows.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
I am sad that I will not be able to participate, but considering that I haven't played trackmania in two loving years and yet I can STILL muscle memory my way through the last season's tracks, I think that is a good thing.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I saw this was going on, so I went out and bought it. It took a while for me to be able to get a time that I was happy with, and now I am scared about what times other people can get.

This game is a lot of fun!

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I sent my record to the goonmail; I'll be away for the weekend, thinking back on what I could I have done differently and oh GOD THERE ARE PEOPLE PLAYING AND MAKING BETTER TIMES RIGHT NOW!!!ARGH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
Just tried the track for the first time, played for about two hours, and I think I came up with a pretty satisfying time. Nice, solid track overall, though I wish I had the same variety of options when it comes to wacky gimmick cars, like with TM1. I wonder if it's possible to import models at all...

Also, sign me up for the Goontrack(s), preferably somewhere in the middle. Maybe I can unintentionally make a really dickish section again!

• Locked thread