Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
TG has a variety of threads on various aspects of game design and gamemastering, but so far little to nothing on the art of adventure design.

For clarity, I consider an "adventure" to be:
  • a prepared, published piece of game content intended to be used by other GMs
  • which introduces little-to-no new mechanics
  • and presents plot elements or interesting locales for a group of player characters to explore.

I've got some ideas on an abandoned dwarven fortress I want to write up into a Torchbearer module. I'm sure some of you have similar ideas. Let's talk about them, and figure out how to make our ideas better.

Resources

As you provide more resources in this thread, I'll edit them in.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Saved for OP if needed.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I'm working on an adventure for Torchbearer. The basic concept is there's a dwarven stronghold that was abandoned after a cataclysmic war. Over the years, some people have found their way inside and returned home laden with gold, but it's well hidden and populated by monsters. Dwarven automatons patrol the ruined corridors, enforcing the security of a state that no longer exists. Some passages have caved in and other new ones have been added by more recent inhabitants. The inspiration is less Moria and more the Dwemer ruins in Skyrim. Ambitious adventurers could bring in colonists to help rebuild civilization, which would eventually lead to diplomatic troubles with the dwarven lords.

I mapped out the lowest-level areas and ran it for my first Torchbearer game. A lot went wrong, but I had fun and I'm going to keep working on this. My first priority right now is laying out the city as it was inhabited, and then figuring out what's happened to it over the centuries since.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
For all that our dreams are wacky places with little coherent logic, people expect that dreams in fiction be related to the plot and somewhat coherent.

I'd recommend sticking to a rule that there needs to be one sort of continuity when switching scenes; if there's a discontinuity in environment, mood should be preserved, say.

Another interesting thing is that a lot of fiction has a risk of being stuck in the dream. Inception, particularly, but I'm also reminded of the dream monsters from The Wee Free Men (Discworld) where eating or drinking inside the dream trapped you there (just like Fairyland, actually).

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I just added two articles on writing Dungeon World adventures to the op: Johnstone Metzgers and Joe Banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Your question might be better asked in the GM Advice thread; this thread is about writing adventures for other groups to run.

That said, a good GM will try to engage with what the group is trying to do. But sometimes what the group is trying to do is stupid. So if the group is investigating the red-herring rumors of werewolves instead of hunting down the vampire lord, go ahead and change your plans to have the Cult of the Silver Moon as a big bad. But if your group is going door to door looking for the most cost-efficient inn to stay in, just tell them to knock that poo poo off.

Pelgrane's Cthulhu adventures also have the idea of "the Card". When the players have found all the clues/plot to be found in a specific locale, the Keeper holds up a card. This lets the players know they got everything, and they can do some roleplay with the NPCs or just move on.

And if it turns out your group just likes spending all their time chatting with NPCs about things of no consequence, well, that's something you'll need to work out with them.

• Locked thread