Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
So... pacing. I am running up into a wall that is driving me crazy - for the life of me I cannot pace a game to save my life.

Games I write as oneshots turn into 5-6 session campaigns. The campaign I started has been plagued with long breaks, and in the 4 months and 4 sessions of play (roughly 9-11 hours) since we've started they have yet to move past the same in-game day in a section of an adventure I thought would take a maximum of two hours.

One of the above sessions was a blast, apart from folks showing up late and thus forcing me to retcon what was happening twice in short order - the players engaged, they came up with a fun plan, and things were actually accomplished.

The most recent session did not go well. Literally nothing of note happened for the campaign, despite knowing that moving a story forward is preferable to stupid foreshadowing I wasted about 45 minutes of play on something that won't come into play for literally months (in-game and out) of play.

HELP. How do I plan manageable adventures? How the flying gently caress do you run a oneshot in something that's not Call of Cthulhu / Big Motherfucking Crab Truckers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

inklesspen posted:

Your question might be better asked in the GM Advice thread; this thread is about writing adventures for other groups to run.

That said, a good GM will try to engage with what the group is trying to do. But sometimes what the group is trying to do is stupid. So if the group is investigating the red-herring rumors of werewolves instead of hunting down the vampire lord, go ahead and change your plans to have the Cult of the Silver Moon as a big bad. But if your group is going door to door looking for the most cost-efficient inn to stay in, just tell them to knock that poo poo off.

Pelgrane's Cthulhu adventures also have the idea of "the Card". When the players have found all the clues/plot to be found in a specific locale, the Keeper holds up a card. This lets the players know they got everything, and they can do some roleplay with the NPCs or just move on.

And if it turns out your group just likes spending all their time chatting with NPCs about things of no consequence, well, that's something you'll need to work out with them.

Nope, my question is specifically as pertains to writing adventures, specifically writing an adventure to be run within a certain period of time. When I get home tonight I'll see if I can't link the adventure I've written for reference.

My most recent session is a perfect example. I wrote an adventure for FATE Accelerated, came up with four pregens with various degrees of completeness as one of the selling points of FATE is being able to add in detail to characters on the fly, and started running after explaining the game mechanics. In the two or so hours we played, the players only managed to interact with one NPC and got through exactly one encounter, a 'combat' against a possessed library maze. The majority of the session was spent in combat against the library.

FATE Accelerated is billed as a fast-running system, I can certainly understand intellectually how it speeds things up, and I'm familiar with game recaps and actual plays of similarly-styled games and systems. My problem is that no matter how I believe I'm simplifying my design and writing, no matter the more simple systems I move to game in, and no matter how I analyze my past work I cannot for the life of me write a oneshot. :(

I've run three oneshots as a GM, only one of which I wrote. Two were Call of Cthulhu adventures where the entire game could be summed up as 'bad poo poo is in [place]; characters enter [place]; bad poo poo happens; survivor(s)/no one leave(s)'. One was a Big Motherfucking Crab Truckers game where all I wrote were three short groups of bad guys to harry the Crab Truckers, it's such a simple system it really doesn't have any mechanics for failure.

What are some tips for adventure design when you're aiming to write a convention scenario or one-night 3 hour pickup game? Because I have written a half-dozen attempts and they've all either crashed and burned or taken months to complete, and it is really starting to bug me that I can't fix it.

• Locked thread