Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I added on a little "adventure overview" section at the start of my 13th Age one: http://goo.gl/6xhglx

For the pacing discussion, I figure the full-course version of this adventure would take two sessions with a familiar group who all knew their characters. Town intro + first two combats in one session, and moving at a good clip they could probably clear the last three in one go with a bit of time for denouement, maybe spend a little bit of time in the next session hanging around the town extorting favors and looking for the next hook. With unfamiliar newbies it'd probably go intro+1 combat/2 combats/last 2 combats. If I was dead set on compressing the whole thing into a one-shot, I'd scratch one of the first combats entirely and give out the information they would've gotten from the other in a skill check/montage type thing, scratch the middle fight between the dungeon entrance and boss, and maybe jack up the difficulty of the final fight to account for the resources the players haven't lost.

For one-shots I have run, you have to be willing to railroad a bit. If the PCs are wandering about, the adventure needs to come find them and drag them away kicking and screaming. Start with the PCs having off-screen agreed to do the thing the session is about and have the first scene begin right after they've embarked upon it. If something NEEDS to be one session and you're halfway through time-wise but nowhere near the end, scrap the plans and cobble something that can work as a conclusion out of the remains.

Instead of actually RPing out the meeting of the characters you should do something else. Dungeon World's History or the montages from the 13th Age Organized Play or Tenra Bansho Zero's Emotion Matrix or Fate's collaborative aspects or something fast which can instantly tie the party together in some way. You can also just declare "you've all been hired by Quest Giver and your trials on the road here have bound you together in tolerance and respect".

Goals in one-shot games need to be concrete and attainable. In one of my one-shots, the party's job was to safeguard a wedding by ensuring that the bride and groom were both alive and at the altar at sundown. I had a bunch of threats that I strung together based on what the party did, tried to make sure they increased in severity as the game went on so that any one could serve as a suitable finale, and as a group we fiat declared that the last threat before the time when people needed to leave was the final one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread