Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
where are the amusing OP pictures, we have standards around here :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Goddamn, that poo poo makes me physically ill. :(

I would have preferred a page of David Pope, but that wouldn't Maintain The Rage™ quite as well.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
So a month ago I resubmitted an application for Austudy after payments were inexplicably cancelled due to "lack of identification".

Went in and submitted ID, was granted the highest possible level of access to online services, which requires *more* identification than a standard application.

Two weeks later, and I get notification that my application has been rejected due to... wait for it... lack of identification.

Now I get to set aside the uni work I'm doing today after collapsing into an anxiety ridden mess to go into an office and politely ask for a review.

100% bludger

:suicide:

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Trip report:

... they of course, went through everything with a fine toothed comb to try and prove that the fuckup was mine, not theirs.

I pulled :psyduck: face and only raised my voice once, though. When they tried to suggest that I should bring in my Year 12 report from fifteen years ago as they "weren't sure" if a signed, sealed and dated statement of academic record from my current institution of learning counted as an educational report.

I THINK YOU BETTER CHECK THAT, THANKS. PRETTY SURE THIS LEGALLY FITS THE DEFINITION, GIVEN IT SPECIFICALLY SAYS "UNIVERSITY" RIGHT THERE ON THIS LIST OF ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENTATION YOU SHOWED ME.

Saving grace and sympathy time came when the guy had to call the centralised office that deals with Austudy applications and they grilled him about the documentation just as hard.

"Yes, it's not a copy. I'm looking at it right now. No, I'm positive, it has a holographic seal."

"Yes, it was scanned into the system" x 500

*across the table, I gives a thumbs up and sympathetic smile*

Review is underway, expected to hear from them on Monday.

FUN TIMES. If I didn't still have savings, I'd be hosed. How do non-privileged people work within this system?

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 1, 2014

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
The IMF is proposing a 60% tax on coal to pay for climate/environmental damage it causes.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au...cs_daily&modapt

In Australia, this would raise $40 billion dollars. No more budget deficit.

:mmmhmm:

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Albo: saying exactly the poo poo people want to hear from an ALP leader, but instead we get to have Shorten grasping at straws. :toot:

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

You Am I posted:

Really? Who are they so I can slap some sense into them with a cricket bat.

I had a lunch convo at a relative's birthday over the weekend who hated Morrison and Abbott but felt Hockey "had a good heart".

I made "I just drank sour milk" face and spent 30+ minutes pointing out why Joe is an out of touch hack with no talent for the job and even less compassion.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
I am a hoot at parties.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

ewe2 posted:

Today I got a foot in the vocational teaching door with a part-time gig in a community house teaching basic IT to older adults. Well, that is, if we can get 6-8 people interested. It's not much but I get to design the teaching and it's likely to be freeform since interested learners will probably dictate what they want, there's no actual structure to lean on. But I'm stoked to be doing something positive anyway and getting experience! And hopefully I can use that to sell myself to other community orgs!

Congrats! I thought about this as a potential career pathway for a while (I learn best when teaching others, have had to coach in corporate environments, accrued most of a Cert IV in Workplace Training & Assessment while doing it), so I'd love to hear what your experience is like. At worst, you're going to get some good resume fodder from it.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
TEAM AUSTRALIA

we're hosed.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

adamantium|wang posted:

Tory shitlord can't solve social problem with private money, melts down

Mills 101, right here.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
wh-wh-wh-wh-wh-wub metadata wubwubwub wubaddress

https://soundcloud.com/something-wonky/george-brandis-dubstep

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Rich white men are PISSED. :allears:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...0807-3d9r3.html

Currently sitting at around ~$45k, apparently. $10k per hour for the first three hours.

e: But let's be honest here, a collective of Australia's richest, most overprivileged white dudes raising $45k in under 24 hours isn't exactly much of an 'achievement'.

e2: As it's been forever since I last made a loving awful joke in this thread, I just realised something.

Yesterday, in Perth, people freed a man caught between a train and a platform. How?

They LIFTED the train by LEANING on it. Take that, Hockeynomics.

:v:

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 7, 2014

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
If Bolt can't have his way, he's taking his ball and going home:

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/...en_look/#181723

quote:

The Attorney General should not propose tough new surveillance laws when he cannot even explain exactly how they work and how intrusive they will be in checking even your browsing history.

This is terrible explanation of what the IPA’s Chris Berg says is a terrible intrusion - a requirement that internet service providers retain metadata on their customers’ online activities:

Mandatory data retention treats all Australians as suspected criminals, storing away records of their internet activities just in case, in the future, they are accused of criminal activity.

Far from a targeted anti-terrorism measure, data retained under the government’s policy will be available for any law enforcement agency pry into.

Metadata is nothing less than a complete record of a person’s internet activities - and through that their personal and business life. Claims that ‘only’ metadata will be collected completely misunderstands the nature of digital communications…

The last few decades have shown us that after these sorts of policies are introduced they are incredibly hard to repeal.

UPDATE

Malcolm Turnbull is right to be angry:

An angry and frustrated Communications Minister forcefully warned the Prime Minister and his cabinet colleagues yesterday that they risked being embarrassed over the new terror provisions ­because they had taken a decision without full knowledge of the repercussions for internet service providers and the public.

Last night, Senator Brandis, ahead of a meeting today with Mr Turnbull to begin work on a strategy for metadata retention, deepened confusion over whether web histories of private computers would be targeted in the new laws…

On Tuesday, Mr Turnbull bluntly complained to cabinet he found it “strange” that as the Minister for Communications he had not been invited to the National Security Committee of cabinet discussions, which agreed in principle to data-retention plans.

He further complained that the first he knew of the decision was a report on the front page of Sydney’s The Daily Telegraph, which said the cabinet committee had signed off on mandatory data-retention laws.

SPLITS

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
must not.. make.. snarky political jokes.. about current learning institution.. fffududfnjskdlfndsklfn WHY DO YOU TAUNT ME LIKE THIS

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Anidav posted:

How creative! You're hired!

Jesus H loving Christ. I've had to read a LOT of IT resumes in my life that have made me go "nuh uh, next", but this one takes the cake.

E: WHAT WAS ON THE PONIES THAT NEEDED TO BE CENSORED? :gonk:

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 11, 2014

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
I don't want to alarm anyone, but NTATA AND THE LNP ARE FAILING TO PROTECT ARE BORDERS

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Phelps just went full troll:

:allears:

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

:gizz:

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Haters Objector posted:

who says this? who says this!?

there are a lot of massive shitlords working in info tech fields.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

adamantium|wang posted:

And then to top it off:

nah you guys this is fine, Hockey and team tightened the disability pension, so now disabled people are poor and thus can't afford to drive cars to park in disabled spots, geeze stop feeding the mass hysteria he has a heart of gold!!!111

:suicide:

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Nuclear Spy posted:

Just started watching this series, bloody brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI

All six episodes were great, on the odd chance that you missed this two pages ago - go watch it now.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
I like pasting this link to people who go "stop picking on Joe, he's a good man who is making some mistakes".

http://www.edenriley.com/2014/05/the-day-joe-hockey-pissed-off.html

No, he's a "good man" to people he considers it worthwhile and in his best interest to be "good" to - like his peers or his wife. Anyone else can eat a bag of soggy dicks, in his world.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
On this day, 12 months ago...

http://www.afr.com/p/national/politics/abbott_commits_to_encourage_exports_rWKqdSbg3oV2FcaddjvSnN

“I want to see car making survive in this country, not just survive but flourish.”
- NTATA

:mmmhmm:

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Anidav posted:

Uh hey there, table for Goons *gets arrested by Queensland Police for being in a gang*

Except you'd be the only one arrested, because of the curse and all that.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Ugh. This gives me the chills. Constant referrals to the police not finding anything wrong instead of an outright "Hi, this was bullshit, this was what was alleged, I did not do this. Ever.".

E: the unbearable cynic in me thinks "perhaps some of the stuff that happened wasn't 'illegal' but still makes you look like a dodgy fucker, and that's why you don't want to talk about it". I think it might be politics break time again. :p

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Les Affaires posted:

"I will not go into the details, except to say that the allegation was untrue and abhorrent. The allegation was made by someone that I knew briefly at that time. There is absolutely no basis to the claim."

It's pretty obfuscating language but the message is clear I thought?

It could very well be Bill being his usual uncharismatic and awkward self reading dry prepared statements. I dunno. "the decision speaks for itself" was the bit where I raised an eyebrow and felt ick. I really have nothing to go off here, aside from the lack of detail and constant referral to the police investigation as the "be all and end all" of this made me feel uncomfortable. That's all.

:mills-shrug.gif:

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 21, 2014

• Locked thread