Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
They've failed to sell most of the Public on the terrible decisions they're making. They're bad at negotiating their awful policies through the senate. They keep losing high court challenges.

I mean the only good thing they do is being fairly incompetent at being evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Liberals Quietly Shelve only piece of policy I may agree with.

There's a lot of arguments either way about PPL, but I don't think that anyone can say it was a 100% bad thing.

WELP BETTER NOT loving PASS THAT. WHERE'D THOSE TAMILS GO. LET'S SUE THEM OR SOMETHING.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I can't even begin to comprehend that facebook page. Is it some kind of meta-troll or satire, or is it being put together by people who really hate muslims to rile up people against muslims in the most banal and see through way possible which people are constantly falling for...

I don't even... just :confused:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Captain Pissweak posted:

That was a joke post, I know engineers are not inherently pieces of poo poo.

Most engineers are huge pieces of poo poo though... also horrible racists and sexists. :eng99:

It's just some of us who aren't. Especially the younger people tend to be actually pretty aware and environmentally conscious and vote green! Most engineers are boomers though and that tells you most of what you need to know.

I should see if I can find any ERA sites. Engineering Rights Activists, defending our privileged, privileged, white, male, rich selves against any form of criticism by declaring ourselves the victims, as opposed to all the people we constantly victimise.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ragingsheep posted:

Quadrant chucking a hissy fit over 18C.

Is the answer "Religious" or "Right Wing"?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amoeba102 posted:

Was the answer Engineers?

1/ Members of the engineering community are disproportionately represented amongst those recently charged and convicted with plotting terrorist acts.

Correct based on article above.

2/ Members of the engineering community are disproportionately represented amongst those charged with female genital mutilation.

I know I'm frequently involved in FGM assuming we're using that as a euphemism. :huh:

3/ Some leaders of the engineering community are prone to denouncing the society that has welcomed them.

I frequently denounce our lovely Sexist, Racist, making GBS threads Anus of a Society.

4/ Other leaders of the engineering community remain pointedly silent as their co-religionists engineers journey overseas to join known terrorist organisations.

Not many engineers criticise those who work for the companies destroying the environment and terrorising local populaces for profit.

FACT CHECK: SEEMS LEGIT

EDIT: A terrible, horrible euphemism that I don't take seriously or would ever use in a context that isn't taking racist dogwhistling and retargeting it at rich privileged dickheads.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Captain Pissweak posted:

You drink gin and tonic from a can mate.

Correct.

Can in question, to scale:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Jesus gently caress those corporate datamining stories are loving scary. I'm cutting up my loyalty card and buying everything with cash from now on. loving hell.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guys, stop vilifying me by taking a screenshots of my sexist, racist bullshit.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I actually kind of welcome it. It means that I can go to a restaurant and not have to worry about a racist waiter going into the kitchen and telling them that "a dirty mussrat is at our restaurant. Poison him/undercook his food/spit in his food".

On another topic, I was looking for Auspol's opinion on an initiative I came up with. I expect to be absolutely lambasted for it and torn to shreds, because this is after all Auspol.

Basically, what if social media were used in an anti-name-and-shame campaign, for good purposes. Instead of focussing on outing racists, a social media page could be used to identify non-racist employers for the benefit of Aboriginal people. That means they don't have to waste as much time applying for jobs they won't get, and it's a step towards breaking intergenerational unemployment in those communities. Employers could identify themselves, or they could be recommended by other employers, job-seekers, current employees, etc. Cartoon? You'd love something like this, wouldn't you? If you could afford to have employees, I mean. Sorry.

This is a pretty good idea, but could be expanded to any non discriminatory employer. Are you not poo poo to women? Aboriginals? Foreigners? Don't even think "Foreigner" is really a thing? We want you!

The only problem would be a bunch of people going, OH SURE WE DON'T DISCRIMINATE because most terrible racists don't think of themselves as terrible racists and hate being called out on the fact that they're terrible racists *cough*Bolt*cough*.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

Still curious what your appearance is like.

Anidav is probably the spitting image of NTATA.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gough Suppressant posted:

Tim Owen just admitted giving false evidence to ICAC yesterday. From my understanding your statements at ICAC can not be used as part of a criminal case, but if you perjure yourself that's a whole different matter :munch:

He also fingered Jeff McCloy saying the two had agreed beforehand to lie under oath.

I should feel bad but the schadenfreude of watching the party who screamed and kicked and shouted about union corruption getting repeatedly rolled for corruption themselves is too delicious.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

duck monster posted:

Goon mission: Obtain a copy of Che Guevara's "Guerilla warfare" signed by Tony Abbot. (The hard part is getting mr Abbot to sign it)

Eco-defence: a field guide to monkey wrenching, signed by Gina Rinehart would be awesome too.

Wouldn't be too hard, find an edition the same size as battlelines, wrap it in the battlelines dust cover, present to Tones as an adoring fan, preferably as an attractive female for him to stare at creepily while ignoring the fact that the inside of the book he is signing isn't what it says on the cover.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Let's see, ever since posting here I've ruined Bill Glasson's political career, helped uncover bots liking and commenting on Tony Abbott's facebook page, joined the ALP, joined a union, Taken Umart to town for not paying my Super and have educated myself using this thread to know my rights at work.

No gypsy curse involved, yet.

I've heard stories of them not paying minimum wage and people hurting themselves and looking for first aid only to open the first aid box to find it empty.

Seriously this poor girl cut herself deep working at a Grilld, asked the manager for First Aid or to go home, first aid box was empty, manager would not let her go home. She had to work her shift with bloody paper towels on one hand all night.

I'm sending you a card that reads "I'm sorry we ruined your life".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Auspol September: Watch our advice ruin Anidav's life.

EDIT:
Auspol September: Good intentions, bad results.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

http://www.icac.nsw.gov.au/investigations/current-investigations/article/4636

Theres a very long argument in this transcript about whether it was a bribe or mere patronage.

One thing I kind of don't get about political donations. Donations to a party from a business or interest group theoretically (hah) shouldn't be influencing or creating policy within that party as much as it should be supporting a party due to it's stances aligning with what that business/interest group wants, right?

If that's the case how the hell do we think that groups are supporting ideologies that they agree with, rather than paying for policy when they make donations to *both* major parties in huge amounts. I mean the only thing they seem to agree on is "torture more refugees" which I don't think any business has as a core principle. Except maybe Serco.

The only thing I can think of is that my first premise is wrong, and people are allowed to give parties money in order for them to produce policy which helps those people in which case what in the actual gently caress, how is that different to bribery?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Scylo posted:

A gulag for people that don't wear bike helmets.

And one for people who do.

Also one for people who don't ride bikes.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I love that global cooling article. I actually love it to bits, it's just the most amazing piece of one eyed scaremongering and bias ever.

I especially love how "renewables" are a drain on the economy rather than an investment in you know "renewable" energy rather than poo poo that once we've dug it all up we're out of. Renewables secure our energy future you insincere poo poo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Future Anidav posted:

Guys! I'm a little suss about my new boss. He seems really into jabbing people with pitchforks and there's heaps of young liberals and boomers hanging around. Also I'm not being paid. Again.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Quantum Mechanic posted:

McCloy is still Mayor.

Our very own Rob Ford, eat your heart out Toronto.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Shared unironically on my facebook wall as

"This may be satire now, Anidav but in 20 years time..."

The funniest part of this is he thinks Shorten will still be leader in 20 years time. :allears:

Also Jesus Christ anidav. You live in the social equivalent of a dystopian hellscape don't you.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
So, he's afraid that the poor may rise up against the rich, but they show him leading the revolution, and also have "let them eat cake" as the headline. Also saying he's issuing a class divide warning. Nothing there lines up, they're simultaneously saying he's trying to lead the poor to overthrow the rich, warning the rich that they might be overthrown and need to be careful, and totally unaware of how the poor might be pissed enough to overthrow the rich.

How, how the gently caress did they manage to place three contradictory positions using a picture, a headline, and a caption.

Jesus gently caress our media, I don't even get how you can be this bad.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Captain Pissweak posted:

Well, first think of an Australian, then think of the kind of Australian who was almost good enough to complete a journalism degree.

Then chose to work for news corp.

Yeah, wow.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

What's a greater scourge to society? One punch killers or people not wearing helmets?

I have an idea, make everyone wear helmets whether they're on a bike or not, two birds one stone.

Well if you're taking the risky action of going into areas where there will be drunk people who may want to punch you, you should be taking reasonable precautions against getting one hit killed. I mean just look at how he was dressed, he was clearly asking to be killed by a one hit punch with his head all exposed like that. What was he even doing there, didn't he know there'd been a bunch of one hit punches there.

I guess some people just can't take responsibility for their own actions.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Abots reply to continuing budget woes: Literally 'I dont see you doing any better!'

"What I say to all of the crossbench senators is if you don't like what the Government is putting up, give us your alternative in terms of how we save money.

Literally demanding the opposition/cross bench to form government.

"Abbott Calls for Election Now"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

I used to play a lot of BF3 with goons. Our ace pilot would take a shitload of xanax and drink half a bottle of whisky over the course of a few games then enter a 25 minute zen state in which we could not be touched and flew like God's own angels (then the helo would go inverted and you knew he'd passed out and it was time to bail).

This is the best post.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

Wong's facial expressions were amazing through the entire diatribe.

I love you Penny Wong. Please take the Labor Left, split off and form some kind of green/labor supergovt.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

Welfare is bad because it robs the wretched masses of their impetus to rise up, murder the ruling class and institute a better welfare state. :eng101:

Endman sighed as he lead the chorus of 'La Marseillaise'

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
My local greens are up in arms about the mergers of local councils in the Western Suburbs (read super rich) of Perth. These ratepayers paid for this particular building why should it now go to these people instead? Managing to completely miss that people move in and out of suburbs all the time, and that most of the councils are too small and inefficient and that guys, we really have bigger fish to fry.

I tend to just :endman: and tune out.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

There'd be no sighing if that were the case.

Still, you've got to admit there's a point to be made there. Welfare is kept just low enough to prevent mobility and innovation from the lower classes, yet high enough to encourage complacency and, when combined with a media narrative describing its recipients as the "undeserving poor", marginalise people by consuming them with their own shame.

Brilliant tool for social engineering really. Not that I'm saying social engineering is a bad thing. It can be used positively to great effect.

I don't disagree with you at all. It's there to keep the proles down so we don't rise up and eat the rich. It's just the rich seem to lose sight of that frequently, or that most of their riches come from poors buying their stuff with the money the rich pay them.

Seriously, why are the captains of industry so bad at understanding what an economy is.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQivPDyEr3Y
THANKS PUP
*dont read the comments*

hoooorrrraayyyyyyyyyy!!!!! kudos to the right minded people of australia....you have gained your freedom and kicked those no good money junkies who wants to rob you of your wealth. with credible science on your back and good people who made this senseless money milking ponzy scheme of the globalist thrown in the waste basket where it should be in the first place....australia 1, money junkies, globalist 0. australia now, tommorrow the world....More power to you.

EDIT: Next time someone wants to buy me a custom title that supports something horrible can you please append: "edging towards suicide, one youtube comment at a time."

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

CrazyTolradi posted:

Jacqui Lambie: Australia's answer to Sarah Palin

That's pretty unfair on Jacqui Lambie, who seems to be a very well intentioned person who doesn't understand some things very well and lacks some image management. She calls a spade a spade and is very critical on policies which she can recognise as not being good for the people who elected her.

Sarah Palin was a carefully crafted mouthpiece used to sell lies to the american public on behalf of big business.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Haha, I love the Australian Public, they sit there twiddling their thumbs with a big red button labelled "WRONG" then proceed to watch the Federal Government and wait for a reason to slam the button and put on sunglasses.

Things Australians Hate:
Carbon tax
Repealing carbon tax
Good relations with Indonesia
Bad relations with Indonesia
Cuts
Deficits
Not enough infrastructure
Infrastructure spending
Privatising public assets
Govt. run businesses
Welfare
Starving poors/veterans/pensioners
Destroying workers rights
Unions
Dodgy business practices
Red tape

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo,

PNG has made arrests of G4S employees for the murder of Reza Berati.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/19/manus-unrest-two-guards-charged-murder-reza-barati

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jacqui Lambie is well intentioned, she just doesn't want us overrun by the chinese hordes and forced into slavery. An entirely understandable position.

Like you are seriously going to try and paint someone who has stood for every party which would take her as being some kind of principled well intentioned person?

Are you going to seriously call her as bad as Palin? Or as any member of the liberal party? Principled is a relative term here...

She may be a weathervane, but that's not as terrible as just being bad all the time.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Splode posted:

She tried to join the liberals! So yes, she is as bad as any member of the liberal party.

Failing to join the liberal party should be a badge of pride.

That's like being kicked out of the KKK.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hooman posted:

Failing to join the liberal party should be a badge of pride.

That's like being kicked out of the KKK.

I should clarify here, that I'm not a Lambie fan, yes, she is pretty terrible.

She isn't Sarah Palin terrible though.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The ADF has a crazy poo poo culture. Any recruit is beaten down until they tow the line on good and bad and right and wrong. It's all us and them and mere civilians who "don't get it". It's hosed beyond all belief. A good friend of mine has finally escaped it (despite their every attempt to sabotage her ability to leave) and in the 6 months since leaving has gone from staunch "only the liberal party forever" to "voting greens next election" just from being away from the toxic loving culture of it. The ADF is hosed, most members of the ADF are hosed, not because they're bad people necessarily, but because of the loving indoctrinating loving ADF.

gently caress the ADF. It desperately needs a huge overhaul and Australia really needs to take better care of the people it's trained to be murderers and then dumped into the streets once their murderin' years are over.

Speaking of hosed culture. Tony Abbott in response to Muslim groups who boycotted his summit due to his stupid loving statements about "team Australia" and implications that Muslims are foreigners, rather than apologise, has called their actions "foolish". Hey Tony, if you piss someone off by opening your big dumb mouth, don't then do it again. Building bridges with the Muslim community there man.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kim Jong ill posted:

I know two people involved with the ADF, one an ex-full timer and the other an active reservist. The former is Young South Australian of the Year and the latter has received a South Australian Science Excellence Award, both in regards to their work in humanitarian technology. So I guess ymmv?

Did they join as officers? I can only speak from the experience of my friends who served in Iraq as infantry.

Also definitely talking about ADF as an organisation, not the individual members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Murodese posted:

I think it's primarily just the attitude of infantry. Every infantryman I've met (and I've met a fair few) have been genuinely loving terrible people. The others (signals, commandos, SAS) all tend to be a lot more normal and not shitheads, possibly because being a fuckwit would exclude them from those roles.

Don't forget that the people that end up in infantry are those that fail literally every aptitude test.

Could very well be the case, the sexism and attitudes of infantry from everyone I've known who has escaped it or been involved in it have been awful. A friend of mine had it beaten into her only validity as a person was as something to have sex with. Heartbreaking to see someone you care about see themselves that way due to the years of mistreatment at the hands of the ADF.

I'm probably not the most unbiased person to assess the ADF.

Speaking of being wrong, Jacqui Lambie proceeds to be terrible and insane right as I defend her. :suicide:

• Locked thread