Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Senate numbers wrong there aren't 26 National Senators, thank gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Pyne actually made an even bigger turd of himself:

The Arsetralian - Why would you give these fuckers clicks?

A Free and Fearless Press posted:

Terror laws could reverse onus of proof

AAP AUGUST 01, 2014 11:14AM

THE Abbott government is considering tougher laws that reverse the onus of proof in terrorism cases, warning that returning jihadists are a growing security threat. LIBERAL frontbencher Christopher Pyne flagged the possibility of an onus of proof reversal on citizens returning from countries in civil war and said the government was "disgusted" with terrorists fighting overseas. The changes would mean Australians returning from those countries would need to explain what they had been doing. Prime Minister Tony Abbott refused to detail the changes, but said the government would do everything it reasonably could to stop jihadists returning. "We do not want people who have been radicalised and militarised coming back to this country," Mr Abbott told reporters on Friday.

The government estimates about 60 Australians are fighting abroad, and several others have returned. Mr Pyne said the return of "murderous terrorists" involved in the "atrocities of Syria and Iraq" were a serious threat to security. He said reversal of the onus of proof would likely come with a "risk" ranking system. Those who had been "hanging out in country Syria" for several months would need to properly explain themselves. The Australian Greens say the proposed changes could mean humanitarian workers and journalists would have to prove they are not criminals. Greens senator Penny Wright said she was concerned the laws could permanently erode human rights.
The government introduced the first tranche of new anti-terrorism laws on July 16 and the second is expected to go to cabinet within weeks. The ABC has reported arrest warrants have been issued for two Australians fighting for a banned terrorist group in Syria and Iraq.

:cb:

Palmer is calling for our AFP to be recalled from the Ukraine.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2014/s4058470.htm

quote:

almer: AFP should return from MH17 investigation in Ukraine

Naomi Woodley reported this story on Friday, August 1, 2014 08:05:00

CHRIS UHLMANN: Foreign Minister Julie Bishop is in Kiev trying to clear political road-blocks for the investigation team. And she said Australian officials will stay in Ukraine until all the bodies are recovered. But the leader of the Palmer United Party, Clive Palmer has called on the Government to bring the Australian Federal Police (AFP) officers home. He says it isn't worth risking more lives in a warzone to recover the bodies of up to 80 victims which remain at the site.

From Canberra, Naomi Woodley reports.

NAOMI WOODLEY: After days of negotiations in Kiev, the Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop finally had some progress to report when she spoke to Lateline from the Ukrainian capital.

JULIE BISHOP: An advance party of two Dutch and two Australian investigators were able to reach the site by a different route from those we'd tried previously and this was done in conjunction with the Ukrainian government and with the separatists.

NAOMI WOODLEY: After four previous attempts, the European monitors who are co-ordinating access to the crash site, last night found a way into the contested area.

JULIE BISHOP: And we hope that we've now established a pattern through this alternative route.

NAOMI WOODLEY: Julie Bishop says it is still a very dangerous mission. The police have had to move through an active war zone, and shelling can be heard from the site. Given those conditions, the leader of the Palmer United Party, Clive Palmer is now calling for the AFP to return home.

CLIVE PALMER: The Foreign Minister, the Prime Minister has done all they could do and it's now time to bring people home because they're at risk.

NAOMI WOODLEY: The Government says though up to 80 bodies are still somewhere on the site, yet to be recovered. Why shouldn't every effort be made to return those victims home?

CLIVE PALMER: Well, because I think we've got to face the fact that we've lost people over there and nothing will bring them back to life, but we don't want to endanger more people by putting at risk the people that are over there.

NAOMI WOODLEY: Would you prefer to see an armed mission, to see the Defence Force or police with arms trying to make this mission instead of the unarmed force that's been trying to get there at the moment?

CLIVE PALMER: No, I just don't think it's realistic really to have a lot of people who are alive worry about recovering remains that's going to put anyone's life in danger to be honest with you. I just can't see the point of it, and certainly we don't want armed people there because it will only provoke an incident and that's not what we want.

NAOMI WOODLEY: He spoke to AM before the advance team had reached the crash site, but he says the safety of the unarmed officers is paramount.

CLIVE PALMER: Yeah, I just think we know that it's a warzone and we don't want to have Australians in a war zone if they can avoid it.

NAOMI WOODLEY: Tony Abbott says he's still optimistic that they will be able to get through and they will be able to recover those remains. If they are able to get through tonight or in the next couple of days, is it worth them persisting?

CLIVE PALMER: No, I think you got to get them out of there as long as there's fighting taking place, their lives could be at risk. I'm very reluctant to say this, but we've got to protect these people before something happens to them.

NAOMI WOODLEY: And you don't think there's any useful evidence that could be gathered at the site to aid the investigation into just what happened?

CLIVE PALMER: Well, I just think that's rubbish to be honest with you. We know the rebels shot it down and I don't think anything you find at the site will change that view that people have got.

CHRIS UHLMANN: The Member for Fairfax, Clive Palmer, speaking to Naomi Woodley.
If the AFP do return I hope they are required to prove that they aren't war tourists.

Forrest for the trees? The horror of the Basics card being put into white hands does nothing more clearly than demonstrate it's current roll out for the transparently racist shite it always was. Thanks Twiggy I guess.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I think they managed it!

Not a single front page article that doesn't make my blood boil:

It's those refugee activists that got those poor Tamils sent to Nauru! (Bonus for the really lovely cartoon inset)

Not only are those naughty Sirian browns naughty but LABOR WASTE!

Blacks you just can't kick them hard enough, but we still have to listen to them whine.

That nice Mister Abbott's[1] poor daughters being maliciously targeted just because they are good looking.

Palestinians are the really baddies here.

[1] My use of Mr Abbott in a fake post style quote in no way signals the end of me referring to him consistently as NTATA (Noted Torture Apologist Tony Abbott). I'd call him worse but this is the worst that actually has his finger prints on it.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2013/s3893068.htm

NTATA posted:

Obviously the Australian Government deplores any use of torture. We deplore that, wherever it might take place, we deplore that. But we accept that sometimes in difficult circumstances, difficult things happen.

Also the reversal of the burden of proof is the first time it has been proposed Federally. That bad stuff like that happens in unicameral QLD is par for the course.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Well the land we've left them with is utterly worthless so :shrug:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
As one of the most consistent and insistent pro indigenous rights posters on AusPol I hoped that my dual layer irony was obvious but just in case you stumbled upon this page with no foreknowledge of context what-so-ever:

The fact the mainstream Australia sees no worth in the lands that are subject to successful land claims is shameful but probably also allowed these claims to succeed. This is at the core of both Mr Hawke and Mr Forrest's thinking.

It is very hard not to connect the dots and see Mr Forrest's keenness for indigenous sovereignty is directly related to his ambition to then exploit the inherent mineral rights while subverting the Commonwealth Environmental Protection Act.

Probably more tellingly is even after handing over what is widely seen as worthless land people like Mr Forrest and Hawke still think we can dictate what the 'new' owners do with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NakFom64MuA

But please feel free to advocate for my early self enacted euthanasia, I'm probably more complicit than many just due to my age.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

The Murray News posted:

5 Aug 2014 The Australian AMOS AIKMAN NORTHERN CORRESPONDENT

ALP attacks News over stance on recognition

ABORIGINAL leaders have described as disgraceful, divisive and ignorant an attack by Labor’s indigenous affairs spokesman, Shayne Neumann, about coverage of reconciliation in The Australian and other newspapers owned by Rupert Murdoch. Mr Neumann, in remarks at the Garma festival yesterday, sought to link concentrated media ownership and past election coverage to the campaign against the Recognise movement for constitutional acknowledgment for Aboriginal Australians.

Aboriginal leaders moved to distance themselves from the comments and Labor leader Bill Shorten declined to back his indigenous affairs spokesman, who appeared ignorant about The Australian’s support for Recognise or diverse public debate on indigenous affairs. Mr Neumann accused The Australian and other papers in the Murdoch stable of running against the movement for constitutional recognition.

“You can see it already coming through with comments made by certain conservative federalist jurists as well as lawyers as well as those people who are running — and you can see it now in the media, and News Limited, for example, is giving voice to that already,” he said. “Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander affairs should not be what the opinion pieces are written in The Australian newspaper. I mean, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander affairs should have a, eh, have a multitude of voices.”

The chairman of the Prime Minister’s Indigenous Advisory Council, Warren Mundine, dismissed the comments as nonsense. “It’s very hard to think of anyone who’s a bigger supporter than the Murdoch papers,” he said. Senior Gumatj clan elder and director of the Yothu Yindi Foundation which runs Garma, Balupalu Yunupingu, said: “I don’t think anyone could seriously question The Australian’s commitment to indigenous issues. The newspaper gives consistent and comprehensive coverage of the many issues which affect Yolngu people, and makes sure our voices are heard.”

The Australian has strongly supported constitutional recognition of indigenous people, editorialising in January that “we endorse the Prime Minister’s view that rather than changing the Constitution, this move can ‘complete’ it”. But it has not shied away from publishing alternate views. Misha Schubert, Recognise’s communications director, said: “The Australian has strongly and consistently declared its support for constitutional recognition of the first Australians.” Editor-in-chief of The Australian Chris Mitchell said the MP had “no idea what he is talking about”. “The Australian has supported the concepts behind the referendum, publishes Noel Pearson regularly and has done so for over a decade, regularly publishes Marcia Langton, Warren Mundine and Galarrwuy Yunupingu, and has carried the Recognise signage and campaign in its news pages and on its website. “At its 50th birthday celebrations last month, attended by Bill Shorten, Mr Pearson was a speaker and sat on the top table with Mr Murdoch, Prime Minister Tony Abbott, former prime ministers Paul Keating and John Howard, the governor of the Reserve Bank, Glenn Stevens, the managing director of the Commonwealth Bank, Ian Narev, and the head of the BCA, Catherine Livingstone.”

Mr Neumann , in an interview with The Australian, acknowledged he had overstepped. “The Australian has taken a view, I think, that they are, they support the idea of constitutional recognition. I think that’s the case. But, eh, there’s always a risk involved if any media outlet or anyone takes a line in relation to that. What I’m saying is that if any News Limited outlet, or Fairfax or anyone takes opposing views to constitutional recognition then there is a problem we have in getting constitutional recognition through,” he said.

Arsetralian has a big fat sad over the opposition spokesperson daring to suggest that they are presenting a blinkered and narrow view. I bolded the offending statement in case you missed it.

Through tears posted:

5 Aug 2014 The Australian

Recognising ALP’s Garma gaffe

Bill Shorten must educate his indigenous affairs spokesman

AT the annual Garma Festival, among the stringybarks at Gulkula on the northeast tip of Arnhem Land, political leaders come to hear from indigenous voices and seek better understanding. “Friends,” said Bill Shorten, grasping this reality at the weekend, “I am here to learn.” Tony Abbott spoke at the festival last year and next month will mark the first anniversary of his election by spending a week in Arnhem Land. Engagement is strong from both sides of politics but the practical challenges of Closing the Gap remain daunting and the political debate about delivering indigenous recognition in the Constitution threatens to become fractious. The Opposition Leader’s speech aimed for a bipartisan approach but outlined an agenda that could be contentious. “Symbolic change is not good enough,” he said, “preambular change will not suffice.” Without details, he made it clear Labor would seek to insert an anti-discrimination provision into the Constitution. “Imagine striking out old laws tainted by imperialism and prejudice, and replacing them with a safeguard against racial discrimination,” he said.

This is all of a piece with the expert panel report on recognition but it leaps ahead of a parliamentary joint select committee that is still holding public hearings. The removal of some racebased provisions along with recognition of indigenous people, history and culture in the preamble would be the minimalist approach and path of least resistance. This must be balanced against strong calls for changes to the body of the Constitution, such as the anti-discrimination clause Labor will now champion, and other provisions to recognise indigenous languages and cultural attachment to traditional lands and waters. The greater the proposed changes, the greater potential for fears — real and imagined — of unintended consequences, and the higher the chance of failure. The Australian is a media partner of Recognise and, like the Prime Minister and Mr Shorten, wants to see success but that will hinge on the construction of the proposal.

Yet amid this goodwill and good sense, Labor’s indigenous affairs spokesman, Shayne Neumann, has struck a discordant note of prejudice and ignorance; not against a race or culture but against this newspaper, which he identified as a potential block on progress. “I think there’s too much power in the media controlled by one man who lives overseas,” he said at Garma. “Simply, that’s the case, and who has an agenda — and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander affairs should not be what the opinion pieces are written in The Australian newspaper.”

Forgive us for taking offence at what he was trying to say, but indigenous advancement and reconciliation have long been cornerstones of our mission. We like to think indigenous leader Noel Pearson said it best at our 50th anniversary celebration last month when he declared “no paper welcomed indigenous writers and political leaders more than this one” and praised our coverage of the full array of crucial indigenous issues. “The Australian treated these subjects not because it believed the country’s indigenous peoples innocent or guilty, right or wrong, noble or ignoble,” he said, “but because the paper believes in our humanity, and that we and our affairs should not be left on the woodheap of national policy and politics.”

Mr Shorten ought to take his ignorant frontbencher quietly aside.
Quick run to section 18C and hit Neumann with both barrels! For fucks sake. Note that there is no author identified. Also it was recently pointed out that the Arsetralian is effectively now a narrow cast. They aren't in anyway a representative national broad sheet. All this blither about 'cornerstones of our mission (or in this case mish)' is a sad reflection on the pointlessness of being the public voice of dear ol' Ruppie.

So where is the coverage of Lex Wotten?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-21/lex-wotton-palm-island-riot-leader-speaks-out/5611356

quote:

Palm Islands riots leader Lex Wotton breaks silence as gag order ends.

By Isobel Roe

Updated 22 Jul 2014, 12:52pmTue 22 Jul 2014, 12:52pm

The convicted leader of the infamous Palm Island riots has broken his silence - four years after being released from jail. Lex Wotton is now able to speak publicly after being placed under a four year gag order as part of his parole conditions. He spent two years in jail for his part in the riots - which were sparked by the death in custody of Palm Island man Cameron Doomadgee in 2004.

Mr Wotton and his family are now leading a class action against the State of Queensland and the Police Commissioner, and said he hoped it would bring some justice to those affected. "A lot of people say to me you know, I did the right thing. and this is actual politicians that said that to me, but they don't want to be named," he said.

Mr Wotton said the class action was not about compensation, but about getting answers for his community. "With the class action hopefully.. all their homes were raided, children had guns pointed to their heads and traumatised... people are still very scarred and affected by what has taken shape at that time," he said. "Hopefully there might be a good outcome."

A spokesman from the Queensland Police Service told the ABC it was not appropriate to comment due to ongoing legal proceedings.

Where's Andrew Bolt and his cries about free speech? This man was gagged for four years from speaking about his plight.

To end on a light note, I know Radio NAtional's life matter's gets a bad rap from some but today they interview Bob Brown. Just hearing the tone of his voice makes you think a saner world might yet exist.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/lifematters/optimism3a-bob-brown/5646720

quote:

Optimism: Bob Brown Tuesday 5 August 2014 9:06AM

Bob Brown's Optimism: Reflections on a life of action IMAGE: OPTIMISM: REFLECTIONS ON A LIFE OF ACTION

Former Senator and Greens leader Bob Brown has written a memoir of his life in politics and the environment movement. He says that optimism is the key to success and that a life of action has made him optimistic rather than pessimistic about the future.

Listen to the audio.

Also gratz GM.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Haters Objector posted:

Has there ever been a government this bad at prosecuting their policy agenda?

McEwan/Gorton/McMahon achieved essentially gently caress all in 5 years. Fraser was about as bad over 8 years.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Lid posted:

What a sensible column questioning the merits of having ACMA: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...f-1227012164014
Arsetralian, paywalled. 1/10 see me after class.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Soil yourself isn't quite as catchy as kill yourself but I suppose it's a step forward.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not that we won Gallipoli either.
Well not to start with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Eastern_theatre_of_World_War_I

We lost the battle but won the war.

When do I get to wake up from this dystopian nightmare where basic human rights are stripped away because someone in a security service says they need to?

The front page of the Telegraph has an article about biometric scanning for departing travellers. FFS this isn't necessary. It can not be a high risk if nobody has ever died from it. Even if you count 9/11 and Bali the deaths (none of which would have been prevented by this or the majority of other measures) the possibility of deaths are minuscule. More lives would be saved by enacting helmet laws for car occupants. Please make it stop.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Lid posted:

That has subsequently lead to this story

STOP THE PLANES
When I saw the SMH today I was initially happy that finally we might step back from BOATS! but I quickly realised this was just going to increase the racist poo poo fighting.

Remember how NTATA is all about jobs and fixing things so there'd be more jobs and dirty dole bludgers need to be getting one our newly minted jobs!

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/6202.0

Unemployment 12 year high.

Thanks NTATA you loving cretin.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Too loving happy in here by half!

Things going to poo poo because of terrible people with no talent being terrible?

Lets crank out the good ol' 'loving dem Browns! Am I right?'

Hockey vigorously blaming Labor for not passing a budget that in no way addresses jobs growth and has in fact caused both the spike in unemployment AND a drop in business confidence? :irony:

Telstra has now started advertising about the amazing NBN deals they can provide. That's got to be transgressing fair advertising guidelines. Which loving National Broadband Network is Telstra going to connect you to? The ads being pushed here in Kempsey makes it 100% :ironicat:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Right! Stronger meat needed?

Bludger finder:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-08/social-security-welfare-payments-by-electorate/5657288

AR Trees, AR Freedom:

http://www.theland.com.au/news/agriculture/general/opinion/native-veg-act-its-time/2707851.aspx

http://www.theland.com.au/news/agriculture/general/news/stuck-in-the-native-veg-mire/2707847.aspx

If we can't gently caress up the planet NOBODY can!

Farmers not about to roll over on Russian sanctions!

http://www.theland.com.au/news/agriculture/sheep/general-news/mh17-fallout-may-hurt-australian-lamb/2706882.aspx

http://www.theland.com.au/news/agriculture/agribusiness/general-news/russia-bans-aus-produce/2707958.aspx

Well when you say massive we just hide behind our political masters and make consoling bleeting noises.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Tokamak posted:

Telstra's copper supports DSL 2+, which is both national and broadband (by the classic definition of the term). I don't see any issues with advertising it as a National Broadband Network; it is merely a statement of fact.
Is this an irony post?

What about the common perception that NBN is the project that the NBN Co was created for and represents fibre to the home? Surely nobody could confuse the two? Especially when Telstra deliberately refer to it as THE NBN and suggest it is now being rolled out, while offering exactly what was available in your region anyway.

http://www.telstra.com.au/small-business/broadband/nbn/

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Apologies thread my previous Arsetralian headline grab wasn't nearly horrifying enough. Fortunately I didn't have to wait long for redemption. Behold:

The Arsetralian why would you click this? Why?

quote:

WE'LL FIGHT ISLAM FOR 100 YEARS
THE AUSTRALIAN AUGUST 09, 2014 12:00AM

Brendan Nicholson Defence Editor Canberra

AUSTRALIA needs to prepare for an increasingly savage, 100-year war against radical Islam that will be fought on home soil as well as foreign lands, the former head of the army, Peter Leahy, has warned. Professor Leahy, a leading defence and strategic analyst, told The Weekend Australian the country was ill-prepared for the high cost of fighting a war that would be paid in “blood and treasure” and would require pre-emptive as well as reactive action. “Australia is involved in the early stages of a war which is likely to last for the rest of the century,” he said. “We must be ready to protect ourselves and, where necessary, act pre-emptively to neutralise the evident threat. Get ready for a long war.”

Senior intelligence officials have moved to shore up public support for the Abbott government’s tough new security laws, including enhanced data-retention capabilities enabling agencies to track suspect computer usage. Australian Security Intelligence Organisation director-general David Irvine said the proposed data laws, which require phone and internet companies to retain records for two years, were “absolutely crucial” to counter the jihadist terror threat.

Web of terror: The journey from the suburbs to jihad

The government’s security package also includes a $630 million funding boost to intelligence agencies and police to help prevent domestic terrorist attacks. Professor Leahy — a former lieutenant general who ran the army for six years, from 2002-2008 — said the threat of radical Islam would require action on several fronts, including a strengthening of controls against biological, chemical and nuclear attacks. It would also include greater protection for critical infra­structure and iconic targets against attack.

The Western withdrawal from Afghanistan did not constitute the end of the so-called war on terror, “nor, as was claimed by prime minister Julia Gillard, in January 2013, a transition from the 9/11 decade”, he said.

Michael Krause, a former senior Australian Army officer res­ponsible for planning the coalition campaign in Afghanistan, said he agreed “absolutely” with Professor Leahy. “I have seen these people,” the retired major general said. “I know how they think. I know how they fight. There is no compromise possible. These long wars require long commitment to outlast radical ideas and provide viable, meaningful alternatives which require a whole-of-government response, rather than assuming the military can or should do it all."

Professor Leahy said politicians needed to “develop an honest and frank dialogue” with the Australian public. “They should advance a narrative that explains that radical Islam­ism and the terrorism it breeds at home and abroad will remain a significant threat for the long term, it will require considerable effort, the expenditure of blood and treasure and it will, of necessity, restrict our rights and liberties,” he said. Professor Leahy is the director of Canberra University’s National Security Institute and part of the Abbott government’s team carrying out a comprehensive review of Defence. He said radical Islamists intent on a new world order were already a threat to the survival of nations in the Middle East and Africa.

If the declared caliphate in Syria and Iraq survived, bases would be established there for attacks on the West and that would embolden “home grown” radicals to attempt attacks in Australia. Military action would be needed to eliminate the threat. Radicals saw the West as “the far enemy” and they were undoubtedly planning more attacks in Australia. Senior intelligence believes the view that the threat posed by radical Islam would pass was “optimistic”.

Mr Irvine, who took the unusual step of speaking to the media yesterday, said the current terrorism threat level of “medium” meant that a terrorism “event” in Australia was likely. “Where our volume of work has increased is that this event could occur in a dozen different places now, whereas before it was in a small, refined area,” he said.

Professor Leahy said that when Australia did choose to be involved its aims must be measured and realistic, with nations under the greatest threat from radical Islamists supported while care was taken not to inflame local tensions. The solution had to come from within the Muslim world, which so far seemed disinclined or unable to imagine a path to peace. Professor Leahy said the threat was likely to worsen as radicals returned from overseas and the internet dumped Islamist propaganda into Australian
living rooms. Some efforts at deradicalisation had begun but a much greater effort must be made to engage Muslim clerics and Islamic thought leaders to debunk radical ideologies being offered to young Australians. “Dual nationality must be reviewed and, where appropriate, terrorists and their sympathisers either expelled from Australia or denied re-entry,” he said. Professor Leahy said Australia must support moderate nations with radical Islamist problems, such as Indonesia and The Philippines.

There you go. Section 18C eat your heart out. Let's have a bunch of far right exAJ nutjobs trumpet 100 years of religious war on the front page :smug:

Just for reference here is a basic threat matrix. Exactly how you define things does alter outcomes but simply put here RED/EXTREME means you absolutely need to address it, ORANGE/HIGH means you need to have a credible solution available YELLOW/MEDIUM means should address it, resources permitting, and LIGHT GREEN/LOW means it's something you should apply resources to if they available after fully dealing with the RED, ORANGE and YELLOW (DARK GREEN means you are worrying about the wrong things).

So for 'expert' David Irvine to go for MEDIUM he would have to be asserting that the threat was either really unlikely but with catastrophic consequences or on the line between that and very high probability (sometimes called certain) but low consequence. OK fair enough. The evidence to date says ~50 people motivated enough to go and fight over seas with limited to no intentions to do anything in Australia (the worst credible threat ever released was the guys who were going to try and gun down some soldiers and another bloke who had 'materials capable of making bombs' - HINT This is you you have those materials under your kitchen sink. I'm struggling to go to this being a SIGNIFICANT threat. As MINOR is all we are left with the likelyhood has to be CERTAIN to warrant being declared MEDIUM as a threat.

Conclusion :- :itwaspoo:

Also featured was how the Australian Press Council was giving the paper a sad. Looks like it's war there too!

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 9, 2014

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
OK AusPolers, in researching our Russian Trade debarcle I came across something that is fascinating. Now the embargo is only on 'produce' but our trade with Russia is almost entirely (Imports to Australia) Crude Oil ~ 1 Billion per annum.

Our exports are mainly produce but nearly half is:

"Confidential Items of Trade" to the tune of ~ 0.5 Billion P/A.

This is a real brain teaser. I did some poking and found:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/5372.0.55.001

"5372.0.55.001 - International Merchandise Trade: Confidential Commodities List, Jun 2014" - Which only deepens the mystery.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/australias-trade-at-a-glance/g20.html Is the best I could find on the DFAT site, but it lists our trade as $738 Million and if you add up the items listed you come up 291 million short. Going the other way you get a much more believable 50 Million (As in there are other sundry items that don't get a separate listing that make up 50 million).

:tinfoil:

So what are we secretly exporting to the Russian Federation to the tune of ~0.5 Billion per annum. I had a guess at bank notes but that doesn't seem to work. Uranium exports don't seem to work out either. Some sort of financial instrument?

The truth is out there!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
That's why I asked here. Thanks for the prompt answer.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Thank gently caress Miranda Devine has us covered!

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/2014/08/sra_20140810_0930.mp3 (At 3:46)

Conflates the need for armed guards on Jewish student buses in Sydney with returning Jihadists

"IT IS now a fact of life in Sydney that armed guards have to escort Jewish children to school. Much as we would wish it otherwise, the war drums of ancient Middle East conflicts have already come to Australia. And none is so lethal as the threat of jihadists radicalised by the barbaric slaughter in Iraq and Syria. Why, then, would any sane, loyal Australian oppose the government’s proposed modest modifications to anti-terrorism laws."

As we gasp in disbelief at the current administration's tragic incompetence I am moved to compare NTATA with noted Prime Ministerial superstar Billy McMahon.

They both have a fragile grasp on reality. Have a very similar policy agenda and world view (Billy can be forgiven for thinking like a white male in 1970 by virtue of his location as a white male in 1970). Their grasp of international diplomacy is second to nothing. A life long US foreign policy cheerleader, Billy loudly denounced Whitlam for advocating ties with China right on the eve of Nixon announcing his historic visit to China. They both loudly trumpet their own economic credentials while overseeing economic down turns (McMahon - Surging interest rates, NTATA falling business confidence - Actually to have a complete neoliberal ideologue cause a fall in business confidence is truely the thing of legend NTATA by a whisker here). (They both have prominent ears).

While seething in impotent rage I reflected upon what form of syphilis would have to be rotting the brain of former head of army Peter Leahy for him to be seriously suggesting a 100 year war with Islam.

Lets examine the facts (yeah I know):

Islamic nations who have invaded another for the purpose of spreading Islam

Yugoslavia? - Actually the Serbs started that one.
Somalia? - Civil War.
Sudan? - Civil War.
Kuwait? - Not religious.
Iran/Iraq - Both were Islamic states already.
Isreali Six Day War, Yom Kippur? - Might have to allow that BUT it is already a long way in the past and was preceded by the invasion of the Suez Canal by Isreal (and others) in 1956.
Pakastan/India - Remnants of a Civil War.

Before that? Better Historians than me could probably pin point it but it's centuries not years and tiny conflicts not "100 year" wars.

Demographically

Islamic population world wide is ~ 20 %.
Almost all the supposed battle grounds are in the or around the Middle East.
The nations that are growing most quickly in numbers and economic political power are India and China.

Strategically

Who cares? The only reason the Middle East has come to prominence (and some high profile terrorists have gotten the cash to do a vanishingly small number of operations) is Oil. That is oil that is already running out. In 100 years unless sand becomes a vital resource there isn't going to be a single Middle Eastern nation that anyone gives a toss about. Fundamentally it was also the reason we have such a chronic mire in any case. The Brits and the US have all meddled in Arabian affairs and drawn up arbitrary borders that effectively guaranteed these current conflicts.

Conclusion

Miranda Devine has as solid a grasp on the reality of the situation as the majority of Australia. Not a single clue. None. Zero. Zip. Nadda.

:itwaspoo:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

Cartoon is gonna be madder.

gently caress it I'll just make a txt file and C/P the whole loving thing in when I want to refer to the enormous pile of human waste that is our current Prime Minister. Not many Heads of State actually defend torture. It helps keep the craptitude of this administration in focus.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2013/s3893068.htm

Noted Torture Apologist Tony Abbott posted:

Obviously the Australian Government deplores any use of torture. We deplore that, wherever it might take place, we deplore that. But we accept that sometimes in difficult circumstances, difficult things happen.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Duck :laugh: back a couple of pages for this threads editorialising.

You Am I posted:

I guess you haven't seen today's Australian front page.

Tip for all: don't.
If I have to you all get to suffer :colbert:

:nms: :nms:

Gough Suppressant posted:

Pretty much every high profile Jewish school in Melbourne has had guards and barbed wire for yonks. I sometimes wonder what kind of effect that has on the social and world view development of the kids going there everyday.
I'd contend that it is entrenching the bunker mentality that underpins the Zionist policy for Israel's action in Gaza (and elsewhere). It is sad that it is far right white groups that are doing the heavy lifting locally for anti Arab actions elsewhere. If they removed the barbed wire and all the security the rate of incidents probably wouldn't change noticeably.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

Someone post the Courier Mail. That one beats all of em.

I think kid_holding_severed_head.jpg is still in front but...

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Gough Suppressant posted:

Um, doesn't front paging a child holding a severed head breach some kind of publishing standards?
They published unpixilated pictures of MH17 victims on the front page. The APC is the only body that can 'sanction' publications. They've been putting the toothless in tiger since 1976.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

Jesus gently caress those corporate datamining stories are loving scary. I'm cutting up my loyalty card and buying everything with cash from now on. loving hell.

Too late they already know everything about you.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Captain Pissweak posted:

They've all gone full Cartoon.
Hold on a tick. One of the reasons many people originally though I was some sort of a sperglord was my bludgeoning into submission of an antivaxxer. It is a challenge I face daily to the point my ex-partner and I coined the term 'Hippie Foo Foo' for the sort of crystal waving BS that infests the ranks of otherwise laudable people. Everything I promote is based in the firmest science I can get hold of.

Nobody has mentioned this:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/clover-moore-hits-out-at-move-to-force-businesses-to-vote-in-city-of-sydney-elections-20140812-1030ni.html

quote:

Clover Moore hits out at move to force businesses to vote in City of Sydney elections
August 12, 2014 - 3:28PM Leesha McKenny and Rose Powell

Sydney’s lord mayor Clover Moore has hit out at plans to force 80,000 businesses to vote in council elections, accusing the state government of undermining democracy in a desperate bid to draw publicattention away from the scandals plaguing the Liberal Party at ICAC. Business owners will be automatically enrolled to vote in the city’s elections under the proposed changes to the City of Sydney Act - a move widely expected to undermine Cr Moore’s hold on the mayoral chains next time council heads to the polls. The government will back a Shooters and Fishers bill expected to be introduced into the lower house on Thursday that would flood the City of Sydney's electoral roll with businesses, which would have up to two votes each.

The current arrangements, which require businesses to re-enrol for every election, "effectively disenfranchise a large proportion of those who pay the rates of the City of Sydney", NSW Premier Mike Baird said. "This is a fundamental flaw in the democratic system of local government elections, which is denying many businesses a say in how their council is run, and one I intend to fix," Mr Baird said.

Last election, only 1700 businesses cast votes, out of about 100,000 registered voters. The proposal, floated in March by a state parliamentary inquiry, would force the council to adopt a model similar to that of Melbourne, where it is mandatory for businesses and landlords to vote in elections. But Cr Moore said the Melbourne model was flawed "and leaves Sydney exposed to serious corruption. This is a government desperate to distract the public from the findings of ICAC and the corruption that's been exposed between the Liberal Party and developers," Cr Moore said. "The Premier won't stand down a Liberal MP who has confessed to taking bribes from developers, but instead is rushing a bill to reduce the say of local residents."

Cr Moore likened the proposed changes to the dual-role legislation, or "get Clover" laws, that forced her to relinquish her state seat of Sydney. "I'm confident the community will see this for what it is - an attempt to manipulate democracy and take control of the City," Cr Moore said. "It's not fair or democratic to give businesses two votes and residents just one." The member for Sydney in the NSW lower house, Alex Greenwich, said he was concerned the government was rushing through the bill without consultation.

"I'm concerned that their bill may allow vested interests to rort the voting system, drowning out the voice and vote of small businesses and residents," Mr Greenwich said. "The businesses I talk to love the work Clover is doing, but are deeply concerned about serious allegations against Liberal members while they have been in government."

But independent councillor and small-business owner Angela Vithoulkas has been lobbying for this change for years. She told Fairfax Media better representation of small businesses would change the way councillors approach elections and the policies they promote. “Councils need to genuinely look at what we can do to stimulate local economies, because state and federal government won’t,” Ms Vithoulkas said. “Small-business owners have been slugging it for years and paying the rates that make Sydney so strong. Now they finally get a voice without having to jump too many hoops.” Ms Vithoulkas added that, while it was great news for the city, she was concerned no one on the council or in local business had yet seen the draft legislation. “It’s disappointing the legislation has so far been kept away from stakeholders. A focus on big business rather than the whole range would be concerning,” she said.

Standard Rooters, Shooters and Tooters (RT&S) getting hosed poo poo to happen but I did a bit more digging and it turns out that Sydney Council routinely fight against the wage rises awarded to their employees and the United Services Union has strong ties to the RT&S. That makes this a little more perplexing. Anyone here know anything about it?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Quantum Mechanic posted:

The Shooters are introducing the bill at the behest of the Liberals. The entire purpose of this bill is to get Clover Moore out of Sydney Council. That's literally it.

So bitter wages disputes with the USU and the USU links to the RT&S have nothing to do with it? I find that hard to believe.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

thatbastardken posted:

i may not be a fancy rooters and shooters legal theorist but I'm not sure how it can possibly be legal to give corporate entities the vote.
If you read the article you'll discover they already have the right but have to register before each election. This just makes their enrollment automatic, like it already is in Melbourne. The legality of it was first tested ages ago and our courts accept that corporations are people although it makes not a single jot of sense.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Haters Objector posted:

I don't think they would. Churches have the resources to pour into that kind of stuff, and if the entire humanitarian sector relied on donations and government grants, which they would if it was all secular, there wouldn't be nearly as much money invested into it as there is now.
At the risk of continuing religion chat I think it is worth pointing out that the reason the churches have those resources is because they extracted the 'wealth' from their previous supporter base. There is a strong onus on them returning it to the community that gave it to them in the first place. I mention this because church attendances haven't so much dropped as plummeted. The current churches accounts have very little on the income side from their congregation.

Why all this talk about Joe Hockey? There's no mention of him what-so-ever in the serious press (The Arsetralian), They instead lead with a fluff piece about the previous Labor minister for sport being involved in undue influence over ASADA... Kwality!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Hey, I'd like some advice from anyone who's got some experience with Indigenous issues.

There's a group of three guys who are forming a tribal council in my town in protest over a development application that will destroy some sacred Aborginal sites.

Would it be presumptious or really whitefulla's burden to go over there and make a public statement of support? I really do legitimately want to help support them in any way I can, but I don't want to poke my nose in where it would be grody or weird for whitey to start interfering.
Write them a letter saying you support them. Include an open offer of assistance. If they are directing the activity then all is good.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Cleretic posted:

I wonder how he feels about that. Disappointed in everyone else, as amused as all of us, or cursing himself for not getting all the bribes that everyone else apparently got?
It was a woman:

quote:

Unlike so many of her colleagues, Robyn Parker MP has left #icac with reputation intact.
ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 46 times46 FavoriteFavorited 25 times25

Clearly the old boy's network worked as designed.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
"Then we rescued the gently caress out of them."

"When we were finished they were rescued to a crisp."

Maybe they can rescue Joe's budget:

One last fearless journal posted:

6 Aug 2014 The Weekend Australian ANNABEL HEPWORTH

‘Fix budget, quit the argy-bargy’

:siren:SHEPHERD WARNS OF LOSS OF CONFIDENCE:siren:

NATIONAL Commission of Audit chairman Tony Shepherd has urged the Coalition and crossbench senators to reach a compromise on the budget, warning uncertainty will drain business confidence and distract the government from other important reforms. Amid escalating frustration in the business community about the Senate derailing the Coalition’s agenda, the former Business Council of Australia president and respected company director :lol: has likened maintaining current government spending levels to a “short-term sugar hit”. Writing in The Weekend Australian today, Mr Shepherd says that in the “toing and froing” on the budget, people have lost sight of why government spending needs to be cut.

“Special interest groups say not us but the naysayers are not offering realistic alternatives to reducing expenditure and returning the budget to a sustainable surplus,” he writes. If Australia continues down the fiscal path it’s on, there will be “no reserve” to deal with a future crisis. And failing to put the budget on a sustainable path will “saddle our children and grandchildren with our profligacy”. “But eventually we, and the rest of the world, will wake up,” he writes. “We will then be forced to take drastic action which will be far more difficult for the community and the economy to absorb.”

The comments come after Andrew Liveris, Australian-born chief executive of US multinational Dow Chemical, warned on Thursday that the “scary” new political paradigm was an “embarrassment on the world stage” over the past six years. Business leaders have been lining up to warn about the risks of a dysfunctional Senate as Joe Hockey has tried to negotiate deals on unpopular budget savings. Former BHP Billiton chairman Don Argus has recently decried as “nonsense” that budget measures could be blocked by the Senate and warned this could stunt the economy.

Problems with the political setting are expected to be discussed at this weekend’s closed-door ADC Forum retreat at Hayman Island, which will be attended by senior politicians, bureaucrats and chief executives. Corporate leaders from Telstra, BHP Billiton, ANZ and GE Mining have also warned about the budget impasse and called on the business community to back the government’s agenda — a call echoed today by Mr Shepherd, who writes that the Coalition was voted in with an election platform that made fiscal reform a central pillar. “I trust the minor parties and independents will recognise what the government is seeking to achieve and recognise this is not the time for sectoral or special interests to prevail,” he says. But he also says all sides will need to come to the table. “This will require negotiation with the minor parties and independents in the Senate and compromise on both sides,” Mr Shepherd says. “This is democracy.”

Long-term structural savings including the $7 GP co-payment, university deregulation and the fuel excise are opposed by the Palmer United Party, while other crossbenchers fear the impacts of the budget on low-income earners. While the Treasurer has crisscrossed Australia in a bid to secure support from powerful crossbenchers for his budget, doubts within Coalition ranks have emerged over his selling of a tough budget. The audit commission’s report warned that to “do nothing” would result in a string of deficits to 2023-24, while the situation would worsen after that.

However, it was released on May 1 — less than a fortnight before Mr Hockey delivered the budget. Critics say it was released too close to the budget, meaning there was not enough time to explain the structural challenges to voters and argue the need for action. Speaking to The Weekend Australian yesterday, Mr Shepherd said convincing people of unpopular reforms took time. “The Australian public are one of the best educated in the world and if things are explained carefully to them, even though they are not happy, they will come on board,” he said. “And this does take time.”

In his article today, he notes the commission’s report is not the budget. But both assume “we are living beyond our means” and that this gets worse in later years as the cost of spending on new programs, including the National Disability Insurance Scheme, ramps up. Mr Shepherd writes today that tax reform is “necessary”, but bringing the budget back to a “sustainable” surplus by revenue measures alone would “strangle the economy”. He singles out the top marginal tax rate of 49 per cent and the company tax rate, which was higher than that in Britain.
A master piece, of it's kind.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Beetfauxnen posted:

the day after i ask about a bike! Cartoon is behind this I just know it. :argh:
:smug:

Joan Kirner in 1989 in Victoria.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The audio has the details:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/charities-social-media-campaign-strategies/5679960

Turns out the hand of the free market is poised to finger gently caress the charity sector as the move to found a medical research fund (Part of your Medicare co-payment) sees money already deserting the field from philanthropists.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Grid-level electrical energy storage is really not anything like a reality yet. It's prohibitively expensive.

The best current bet is thermal storage, at least in Australia.
OK I read the article and apart from general free market lol sentiments:

1/ Demand 'smoothing' (Shifting is a more modern translation) is entirely feasible. It could be done using pricing signals in the same way 'off-peak' currently works.
2/ Basin Storage. Ironic that the article uses Germany as the basis for the 'problem' while ignoring the existing and very recent German Solution. Efficiencies of ~ 85% are claimed.
3/ With large scale solar thermal there is a built in (molten salt) storage factor.

tl;dr Original article is by a libertarian gently caress spray who couldn't find a single clue in a big box of them.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Quantum Mechanic posted:

The opposition to high-rise development in Newcastle is a good example.
Newcastle actually is a special case. The whole of the city area is multiply undermined and nobody can predict the effect that this will have on foundations should there be another earthquake. They tried to do some development in Swansea and the whole site fell away as they were excavating.

http://www.minesub.nsw.gov.au/templates/mine_subsidence_board.aspx?pageID=3758

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Captain Pissweak posted:

Private industry produces the most efficient murderers.
Well those slacker :jerkbag: from DIBP weren't getting it done.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Ragingsheep posted:

Some are reporting that it's only those who are particularly aggressive in demanding money.
Clearly it is they who are the instigators in our woefully inadequate welfare system.

Jacqui Lambie has doubled down on her China sucks comments to include Indonesia in the list of inevitable combatants:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-19/clive-palmer-jacqui-lambie-comments-on-china/5682424

What is it with ex and serving members of the ADF? Is the culture so virulently toxic that it produces effectively only Bozos? You remember Peter Leahy and his advocacy for a 100 year war with Islam...

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2014/s4071424.htm

quote:

AMA wants govt to consider alternative GP co-payment model

Sophie Scott reported this story on Thursday, August 21, 2014 07:13:00

MICHAEL BRISSENDEN: There's more trouble for the Government this morning over its plans for a shakeup of the health system.

The budget proposal for a $7 co-payment from patients is opposed by the Senate. Now doctors say they won't accept the current government plan to cut payments to GPs by $5 per consultation. Federal Australian Medical Association (AMA) president Professor Brian Owler says the association provided the Government with a proposed alternative model three weeks ago but have heard nothing back in that time. He's speaking here with ABC national medical reporter Sophie Scott.

SOPHIE SCOTT: So what groups are excluded in your co-payment model?

BRIAN OWLER: There are vulnerable groups in our society that we do have real concerns about and those people are obviously those in aged care, older patients that often have chronic, more chronic diseases, people that are unemployed for instance, those with disabilities, people that are in remote areas.

SOPHIE SCOTT: Are you concerned though that you haven't heard back from the Federal Government or had any more negotiation since putting that new model to them?

BRIAN OWLER: Well, I think there's a misconception that this was going to be a sort of to and fro debate and that the AMA is in there wheeling and dealing and trading things off. We were never going to go and trade anything. We have a number of policy positions and one of those of course is not removing money from primary care in general practice. I've said over and over again that general practice is really the solution to the sustainability of the healthcare system. It's not the problem.

SOPHIE SCOTT: And under the Government's plan, doctors would lose the $5 bulkbilling incentive. In your revised model, will doctors, would you like to get that $5 back?

BRIAN OWLER: Well, under the proposal - it's actually the $5, a $5 cut to the Medicare rebate across the board, and our general practitioners have said that's not acceptable. What we want to do is make sure that we keep money within general practice. It's not the time to take it out, whether it is to go to tertiary level research or not. We shouldn't be funding tertiary level research at the expense of primary healthcare.

SOPHIE SCOTT: And with so much opposition to the GP co-payment, do you think it would be better for the Government to go back to the drawing board and develop a whole new model?

BRIAN OWLER: Well, that's one alternative that they have. I know that they've set themselves the idea of, in their words, sending a price signal. I think what we want to do is make sure we get an investment in general practice and to get greater value for general practice.

When renowned reactionary gently caress spits the AMA are against something and argue against it on health related reasons you have a serious contender at the golden turd award for bad Right Wing policy.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Palmersaurus posted:

That's a new one to me. Is "900,000" an actual thing or just a big scary number?
In total number of new residents the number is about correct.

Source - https://www.immi.gov.au/media/statistics/historical-migration-stats.htm

We get around a quarter of a million immigrants per annum. The stats are by F/Y but roughly equating these to the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd government gives a total of 1 352 903.

However from the Middle East that is 77 607 or a VERY SCARY 5.7% of our total intake.

AusPol Facts checker?

:itwaspoo:

Edit - We all love graphs?

Our immigration is actually helping some of our structural demographics by being mainly young people.

Muslum count? Tinsy winsy. Now whether that is a good thing (because we are all racist bigots) or a source of concern is another matter again.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 21, 2014

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

katlington posted:

I don't know if the liberals actually want to make some homegrown terrorists or if it's an unintentional side effect of their child-like policy.
They would like to see some because it would give them a credible threat to bolster their claims of a crisis. Failing some showing up then I'm reasonably confident the current stooge circus can conjure some up.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...2-1227028466911

Just add turban and stir..

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

WebDog posted:

Pell's comments are pretty egregious given that a truck crashed in Adelaide this week, killing two and the company grounded the fleet as a result.
And nobody is suggesting the driver was a sexual predator....

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

WA has already established (Police pursuit strategy) that 'tough on' involves the occasional human sacrifice. Just add it to Australians_Are_Excrement%WA.Txt

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Abbott announced a MH17 memorial to be erected in the gardens of Parliament House. Dude's shameless.
That was during his equally self serving 'condolence motion' yesterday.

It does however not gel well with other 'get tough' rhetoric that he's making GBS threads out.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/us-australia-plan-for-tackling/5699042

quote:

US-Australia plan for tackling Islamic State to go before UN next month

Wednesday 27 August 2014 7:36AM

Foreign minister Julie Bishop yesterday spoke with the US Secretary of State John Kerry about a response to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, and the government continues its hardline rhetoric on home-grown terrorism.

Bishop told parliament that Australia and the US have a plan for restricting the reach of the Islamic State in Iraq which will be presented to the UN next month.
You'll have to listen to the audio to get to the bits I'm referencing.

Bishop basically said that the threat to Australian lives (current casualty count 0.0) was such that we should go to war against the ISIS 'terrorists'. Surely this would mean that we should be planning on taking action in the Ukraine, the place where Australian lives were actually lost?

Although she didn't follow it up Fran Kelly actually did a great job in leading her into a trap. Kelly mentioned that one of the figures on the known AusSec poo poo list was allowed to leave the country even though they had well know 'terrorist' connections. In dodging the question Bishop stated that it was therefore imperative that all Australians submit to more invasive screening. Either she is utterly oblivious or didn't realise just how stupid it made her look.

Nearly as stupid as Turnbull and his 'cheaper, faster' Duffband cost benefit analysis. I haven't gotten into the nitty gritty but it seems to exclude any of the over time maintenance and running costs of the node infrastructure. A winning strategy if you are really looking hard at it because you care about the sdf;jodfsabghujdafbvjdfcvnsui lfghifw;GBDSILD.

OK back to suicide watch for me.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Serrath posted:

How is this not religious discrimination, though? I don't understand how a secular government can make provisions for this sort of thing and have it be legal, how can they legislate in a requirement that someone taking a state funded job be "religious" and what sort of tests do they specify to ensure that the religion is legitimate? Do they have a list somewhere of approved religions?

Sorry to keep returning to this point, when I really think on the whole spectrum of things this government has done, this particular policy isn't at the top of my poo poo list but I don't understand how this policy can exist without other policy in place to actually determine religiousness such that they can ensure that atheists can't get paid under this policy.

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Senate/Powers_practice_n_procedures/Constitution

Actually we aren't an explicitly secular state. It could be argued from our head of state being the head of the Church of England (Betty) that we are a theocracy. The constitution mentions nothing about religion (apart from the Betty references) what-so-ever. The US Constitution is a whole other matter.

I agree that this isn't the most important thing in Australian politics at the moment but it would be nice if the people who are explicitly being put into schools for the 'welfare' of students were actual trained professionals and not borderline psychotics/pedophiles without relevant skills or training.

To the main game. The cognitive dissonance in Julie Bishops head must be doing her long term harm. Buzz word of the day is 'Humanitarian'. Apparently it is our 'Humanitarian' duty to support the US in another war in Iraq. We don't have time to debate it in parliament because it's a 'Humanitarian' crisis and if we don't act we are monsters who are letting the world down and cowards for not upholding the 'Humanitarian' rights of the people in Iraq/Syria.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/am-with-chris-uhlmann/5702082 Listen if you dare.

Julie specifically mentioned that these victims of the 'Humanitarian' crisis are fleeing for their lives. Surely it would be our 'Humanitarian' duty to give them refuge then? THE gently caress NO! loving JESUS WEPT! Bleeding heart loving lefty tree huggers! It's about us blowing the loving poo poo out of things in their wide brown land. They are the problem we don't want to import their problem... :psyboom:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/19/australia-going-to-unthinkable-lengths-to-return-syria-detainees-emails-show

quote:

The lengths to which the Australian immigration department has gone to facilitate the repatriation of traumatised Syrian asylum seekers detained in offshore detention centres has been extensively revealed in departmental emails obtained under freedom of information laws.

Human rights experts have criticised the actions, saying Australia was doing the “unthinkable” by endeavouring to return Syrians.

The emails support reports from Guardian Australia in March, showing that Syrians detained offshore told Australian immigration department officials they would be killed if they returned to Syria, but the department facilitated plans for their repatriation nonetheless. This included sharing asylum-seeker identity documents with the Syrian consulate in Australia, booking flights via Jordan, and endeavouring to issue an “ultimatum” to force them into a decision on repatriation, despite a number of them being severely mentally ill.

At no point in any of the disclosed emails is conflict in Syria, which has seen more than 100,000 people die and 2.56 million refugees flee the civil war, discussed. And at no point are concerns about the asylum seekers’ safety back in Syria articulated.

The International Organisation for Migration (IOM), tasked with facilitating asylum-seeker returns in offshore detention, does not facilitate repatriation to Syria because it is too dangerous.

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/f/as-det.php

quote:

Of particular concern is the responsibility of the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship and the Department towards the increasing number of unaccompanied minors in detention. There is a serious conflict of interest between the Minister's role as guardian to unaccompanied minors, which requires him or her to act in the best interests of the child, and the Minister's powers to determine refugee status and detain unauthorised arrivals, including minors.

LALALALALALALLALLLA I can't hear you!

• Locked thread