Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQShSBhzG40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
this is not a placeholder post

this is just a tribute

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Mattjpwns posted:

where are the amusing OP pictures, we have standards around here :colbert:

Anidav posted:

Bill Leak is a mother fucker:

Australia

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Endman posted:

Am I the only person who doesn't actually mind Sarah Hanson Young? She gets appropriately cross at things that are poo poo.

She is the worst second worst greens senator(I forgot Whish-Wilson was around), but that still makes her better than the non-Greens senators.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
don't worry, he's only the daily cartoonist for the only newspaper with national circulation.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Amethyst posted:

Why is Twiggy Forrest's idiotic plan to put all welfare recipients on income management getting so much press? Is this Liberal strategy? Publicize something horrible so their own policy looks mild in comparison?

We thought that's what all the budget leaks were and then it turns out no that's their actual policy so :iiam:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Today I learnt that the ABC paid Bill Leak to paint a portrait of dead indigenous activist Charles Perkins as part of the series "Face Painting"

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Endman posted:

I thought depicting the dead like that was a big "no no" for most indigenous cultures in Australia?

Not sure about Perkins particular people and their practices re: the dead, but I don't think many people would be happy about the first indigenous australian to graduate from uni in australia being painted by the guy who made this:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

You see, Gaza is a lot like Rorke's Drift.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 1, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Has Bill Leak ever been in trouble much like Andrew Bolt?

According to wikipedia he was hanged 11 times by the Archibald's, but sadly it seems the rope never stuck.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

ablo posted:

The search for a scapegoat, according to former US President Dwight D. Eisenhower, is the easiest of all hunting expeditions.

As we learn more about the political narrative of the Abbott government, I worry that Tony Abbott’s zeal to appear tough is causing him to hunt those with the least power to defend themselves – pensioners and the unemployed.

I’m losing count of this government’s attacks on people in receipt of a government benefit. Disability pensioners are being targeted regularly, with newspaper reports creating anxiety that they will be cast aside. At the same time the government is cutting health funding, something of critical interest to people with disabilities or chronic illness.

Unemployed people are told they have to fill out 40 job applications a week or lose the dole. At the same time the government has reduced spending on training. Programmes like Youth Connections, that enabled disadvantaged young people to move through education to work, have been cut. Cuts to apprenticeship support are short-sighted and cost not just individuals; but the economy as a whole. A skilled workforce is a productive workforce.

I’m sick of hearing Joe Hockey beat his chest and declare the end of “the age of entitlement’’. It’s a term that comes with the unspoken suggestion that recipients of government assistance are somehow conniving to receive something to which they are not entitled.

The introduction of this type of scapegoat terminology – designed to malign all welfare recipients – has encouraged tabloid newspapers and radio shock jocks to resort to terms like “bludgers’’ and “rorters’’.

The truth is that most welfare recipients are not bludgers but honest people doing their best in difficult circumstances. It’s time for a more serious debate on welfare – one that goes beyond dog whistling and demonisation of the poor.

As a society, we owe it to ourselves to help people work if they can. There is dignity in work, as well as empowerment. Higher workforce participation reduces the call on the public purse and also generates greater economic growth – a benefit to the entire nation.

However, we need to abandon the ugly rhetoric and start from the proposition that there are people who aren’t in the workforce through no fault of their own. If we put aside politics for just a moment, most people would accept that our shared values of decency demand that people down on their luck receive support rather than vilification.

Maybe their marriage broke down and they are struggling to raise children alone. Maybe they are sick and genuinely unable to work. Maybe they have a mental illness. Maybe they are homeless. Perhaps they are over 50 years of age and have been made redundant and are unable to find anyone who will give them a shot at a second career.

Whatever their circumstances, people receiving welfare deserve neither disrespect, nor this government’s transparent attempts to punish them for their misfortune, with ever more tests to maintain their payments.

Hundreds of people in my electorate in Sydney’s inner west are on disability pensions because they are literally unable to work. Many sole parents would love to work but their circumstances and their responsibility to raise their children make work difficult. Such people endure a daily struggle to overcome their circumstances and raise their children to become educated so they can escape the poverty trap.

That’s something to be applauded. Instead, the current rhetoric of the government tries to make people feel as though they’re lazy or burdensome. That’s just not fair. It is completely disrespectful. The approach of the current government appears to be punitive, rather than helpful. The very last thing elected representatives should do is encourage working Australians to treat welfare recipients with suspicion or hatred.

The former Labor government faced the same issues about the structure of the workforce as those being grappled with now by Abbott. Sometimes Labor got it wrong – such as with the extension of the Howard government’s changes moving more single parents onto the Newstart program.

Entrenched unemployment and welfare dependence are very difficult to address in a policy sense. Labor’s starting point was and remains that people who are disadvantaged need help, not character analysis from politicians looking for headlines.

The role of government in this area is to provide opportunity through better education and training options, and ensure jobs are available through economic growth. Yet the Abbott government seems unable to discuss these issues without treating such people as cannon fodder in its rhetorical war against any and all government spending.

Earlier in the year Hockey, anxious to demonstrate his desire to end the age of entitlement, complained that some single mothers could access up to $55,000 a year in benefits. As it turned out, the Department of Human Services refused to endorse the figure.

In any event, one of the benefits the treasurer used to reach this figure was the jobs education and training child care fee assistance, worth up to $15,120 and designed to help single parents access child care while they attend university to make themselves employable.

Hockey wants to have it both ways. He wants to attack single mums for being unemployed and then attack them again if they dare to access government benefits designed to make them employable. His unspoken message to these parents is that they should feel bad about trying to improve their circumstances.

The treasurer seems to be more interested in promoting resentment of single mothers than in actually helping them into the workforce. Elected representatives need to understand that whenever they attack pension recipients in the hope that this will jolt them into the workforce, their comments have the reverse effect.

Being told indirectly that you are a lazy piece of scum malingering on the public purse does little to improve a person’s confidence, so important to attaining employment. No-one deserves to feel attacked in this way. As another former US President, Bill Clinton once said: “‘We’re all in this together’ is a better philosophy than ‘you’re on your own’.”

Also he seperately described the assault on Gaza as "Collective punishment"(This is a very loaded and deliberate term in regards to talking about war crimes), and completely unacceptable.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Orkin Mang posted:

Where is that article from? 'Ablo' means nothing to me.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/01/welfare-recipients-arent-bludgers-and-they-deserve-respect-from-joe-hockey?CMP=soc_568

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/01/anthony-albanese-says-israels-gaza-assault-is-completely-unacceptable?CMP=soc_568 for the gaza comments

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Reckon Ablo might be circling the wagons around Blop Snogdon?

We can only hope

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Hmmm, what is a bigger threat, 60 people who might be terrorists, or a state deciding that you must prove that you were not guilty of a crime rather than them having to prove that you were guilty.

edit: And don't worry Cartoon, I am entirely confident that the unpopularity of the idea of spreading the basics card will lead to its removal from indigenous communities lol

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
did you use a learner's permit for id? they might have misread and thought it said leaner's permit.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Getting angry and protesting never did anything you should instead enact real change by

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Mattjpwns posted:

The IMF is proposing a 60% tax on coal to pay for climate/environmental damage it causes.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au...cs_daily&modapt

In Australia, this would raise $40 billion dollars. No more budget deficit.

:mmmhmm:

loving lefty scumbag hippies.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Edit: Bob Day might be good for something afterall:

Nope. Suburban sprawl really is that bad.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Twiggy probably has worked it out and plans to be the guy standing in the car park buying them.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Tony has told Tasmania it should seek funding from the CEFC and ARENA after twice attempting to abolish them.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Endman posted:

Holy loving poo poo is having these people in our country literally so bad that we'll cart them around the whole god drat Indian Ocean just to offload them onto someone else?

gently caress we're a lovely country.

They are incompatible with our western pluralistic democracy with values derived from judeo-Christian tradition black

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

SUCK IT BROWN PEOPLE YOURE NOT INVITED YOURE NOT INVITED NA NA NA NA YOURE NOT INVITED

edit: -staff editors

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 2, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
It's been a pretty major thing but then again the three people talking about it are Daniel Andrews, Dennis Napthine and Ted Bailieu who have the cumulative charisma of a mouldy sock.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

Using the "we managed' logic, we should all go back to being single cell life forms because we managed back then too.

I was going to post Stewart Lee on the UKIPs but it seems BBC has taken down all the videos of it.

edit: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1lwl2j_stewart-lee-s-comedy-vehicle-s03e02_fun

about 8 minutes into that.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 2, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
More than 5000 fascists are at a rally in Sydney.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Cartoon posted:

Well the land we've left them with is utterly worthless so :shrug:

This is pretty much the exact reasoning by people who want to dump nuclear waste and is pretty offensive and I'm not sure whether your serious or not and

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Like, "what's so special about a bunch of rocks you can't even grow wheat or farm sheep on" is an attitude that indigenous people have to fight against every day

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
If I actually was convinced that you were saying it in all honesty I wouldn't have responded the way I did. You don't usually fake post to that degree and I know you are generally pretty cool so I was honestly confused.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

TheMostFrench posted:

Wasn't this a big part of Australia's colonisation? 'These guys don't even have fenced property, we need to sort these backwards natives out, quick.'

Yeah, english common law allowed for settlement of uninhabited olands, so by declaring the whole loving continent terra nullius they didn't have to bother screwing the natives over with signing bullshit treaties and could just come in wholesale and pretend they own the place by default.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Some actual living people thought joe jockey was "one of the good ones" before anyone gave him any responsibility or power.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm gonna snitch on BB to the fash because I'm sure he has said something mean about me and/or my posting at some point or another.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

You Am I posted:

Really? Who are they so I can slap some sense into them with a cricket bat.

That was the whole reason they trotted hockey out on the morning shows opposite Rudd and put him on The Project regularly or made him wear a tutu and wave a wand(I think that happened but maybe it's just psychosis) , they thought he presented a human face of the reptilian overlords.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Also isn't a cricket bat used to assault the treasurer and his supporters called a hockey stick?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
So the only week you people actually decide to boycott posting about THAT SHOW is the week with blackfullas on it.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Who are the real racists?

it's you

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
This gives me a great idea of how to lower melanoma rates across australia, just remove any government support for screening processes.

edit: We could probably cut down on crime rates by abolishing the police force and courts too.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

I would honestly rather stab myself in the eye with hot pokers than read a multi-page article about sydney university student politics.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Presumably the government will come out condemning Leibler Yavneh College as a breeding ground for violent religious extremists who leave Australia to fight in foreign wars. I am also assuming that the two Australian citizens injured while assisting in the murder of children will be denied re-entry to the country and have their citizenship stripped.

quote:

Two former students of a Jewish school in Melbourne have been wounded while fighting for the Israeli army in Gaza.

Sam Gosling and Daniel Wein, both 22, are recovering from recent injuries sustained during the conflict between Israel and Hamas that has lasted almost four weeks.

The combat soldiers are former students of Leibler Yavneh College in Elsternwick, and are believed to have been a year level apart. Both are reportedly expected to recover.

Mr Gosling, who left Caulfield for Israel last year, was hit by shrapnel from a missile in late July.

A close friend, Toby Azoulay, said it was extremely distressing to see a photo surface on social media showing Mr Gosling in a hospital bed. "It was very upsetting ... very confronting," he said.

Mr Gosling was born in New Zealand, but his family moved to Melbourne in 2008.

He was involved in the Zionist youth movement, Bnei Akiva, where he became a leader for younger students at weekly meetings.

"He moved mid-last year to join the army," Bnei Akiva Melbourne president Romy Spicer said.

"But it really hits home when you see a photo of your friend who has been injured. It throws you about."

Earlier in July, Mr Wein, who grew up in Melbourne but moved to Israel before graduating from Yavneh College, was reportedly shot in the thigh.

Ms Spicer said that out of the 365 students and leaders in Melbourne's Bnei Akiva program, as many as 10 had joined the Israeli army in the past two years.

"What drives them is a love and passion for Zionism," she said.

There are about 2500 foreign citizens from more than 60 countries enlisted in the Israeli Defence Forces. The US provides the greatest contingent, but there are also large numbers of Russian, Ukrainian and French soldiers.

Sixty-four Israeli army soldiers and three Israeli citizens have died in the conflict. The Palestinian death toll has reached 1822.

Mr Azoulay, whose 20-year-old brother also left Melbourne to fight in Gaza, said soldiers in the army were often under heavy fire and went days without being able to contact family.

"I didn't speak to my brother once for five or six days ... it is nerve-wracking," he said.

"We don't want there to be a war, but unfortunately the circumstances force it."

The Israeli embassy in Canberra refused to comment on the number of Australians fighting for the IDF, but it is believed there are in excess of 100 enlisted.

The Department of Foreign Affairs does not keep figures on how many Australian citizens have gone to Israel to fight for its army.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 5, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Amethyst posted:

Yep.

Total nightmare.

gaza aint got nothin on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The Abbott Government has given up on reforming 18c. Too many lobby groups hate free speech. And the reforms were badly sold. I suspect the country will be poorer for this.

• Locked thread