Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Today I got a foot in the vocational teaching door with a part-time gig in a community house teaching basic IT to older adults. Well, that is, if we can get 6-8 people interested. It's not much but I get to design the teaching and it's likely to be freeform since interested learners will probably dictate what they want, there's no actual structure to lean on. But I'm stoked to be doing something positive anyway and getting experience! And hopefully I can use that to sell myself to other community orgs!

Awesome news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Does anyone here use a credit union or a small bank or something like that? I'm really tired of being screwed around by Westpac and would like to at least consider moving my money out of the Big Four. I'm only interested in going with someone who has an excellent online banking system, though.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

BCR posted:

Credit Union Australia has a simple enough online system and their customer service is fantastic. CUA has fees if you withdraw more than 4 times a month if you have less than $5000 with them. They've got 3% interest on their savings account. You can withdraw free from rediatms and NABs network.
Thanks heaps! I will look into CUA.

Zenithe posted:

ING are quite good, provided you don't need to make cash deposits or bank a cheque. They have no fees, usually higher than average interest and have some handy things right now (2% back when you use paywave)
I had an ING account before, I will also check them out. I wonder what their ethical credentials are like?

Contra Duck posted:

What exactly do you need from the online banking? Credit unions are good for a lot of things but the online/mobile banking, while functional, won't be as fancy as the ones the big 4 have.
Basically, I need to be able to log into it, transfer money between several of my own accounts (my partner and I have four separate joint accounts that we use for various purposes), pay other people with bank transfers, and BPay bills. Over the last few months with westpac, logging into it has apparently become a really difficult task for them to manage. I time-out maybe half the time. Today I've tried four or five times and haven't been able to log in. Their tech support is useless.

e: Do CUA offer a Mastercard/Visa/AMEX?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Can I ask how exactly you're being screwed over by Westpac? I'm with Westpac, and the worst I can actually articulate about them is that I don't like their online banking, it feels kind of borked and non-user-friendly.

As I said above (we were probably posting at the same time) their online banking is absolutely hosed for me. Further, I've found their credit card service to be atrocious. I've had my credit cards long enough to go through two renewal periods, and in each case they've completely hosed up the renewal, which is a big problem if you've got joint cards with your partner, as it means hers have to get cancelled too. Last month I spent maybe two hours on the phone to them just to get them to send the cards to the right loving address, and they misinformed me about it once. I then had to basically bully them into waiving my fees as compensation for their lovely service - I shouldn't have had to ask.

Bifauxnen posted:

I've been with CUA a long time now, and their online banking is really straightforward and works fine. I've never found myself thinking "oh man I wish I could do X." Since I've never used any of the Big 4 (apart from a brief trial of ANZ that went horribly wrong, so I closed the account), I don't even actually know what sort of features the big banks would have that CUA doesn't.

Thanks for chiming in :)

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

In case anyone is interested, I found this info about Credit Union Australia's ethical cred:

quote:

"“CUA does not directly finance the coal and gas sector and we do not lend directly to companies within those sectors. As Australia’s largest credit union, CUA’s business is the provision of personal banking products and services and our business banking customers are typically within the SME sector.”

http://www.marketforces.org.au/banks/compare

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Contra Duck posted:

you may also want to check if there's a specific credit union for your industry or region as well because sometimes they can be better.

Better in what respect?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Tim Wilson is a former spokeswanker
brb stealing this

Haters Objector posted:

I'm with bankMECU and they would win hands-down any "most ethical bank" contest. They also apparently just won an award for having the best internet banking experience in the credit union/member owned bank category.

http://www.bankmecu.com.au/why-bank-with-us/sustainability-and-community.html

Their twitter account is pretty openly activist about leftish things
Thanks heaps! A friend just recommended them to me as well, I will definitely check them out.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Contra Duck posted:

Sometimes they will have lower fees or better interest rates on some products. It depends on your situation though. As an example, Teacher's Mutual Bank are about even with CUA on most things but their low rate credit card deal is excellent, no annual fees and 11.5% interest. If credit cards mattered to you then it might be a good idea to go with them instead but otherwise it doesn't matter. You can check out the credit unions that apply to you to see if they can do anything that is way better.

e: hadn't heard of bankmecu before that but they look pretty drat good.

Thanks for pointing that out. For credit cards, the only thing I want to make sure of is that there are no annual fees. I never carry a balance on my credit card and so am not worried about interest.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I will give $75 to anyone who can explain to me what happened to him.

that was a joke

But seriously, I'm not reading that whole thread, what happened?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Splode posted:

Your soundtrack for another Amethyst meltdown, where all arguments are met with personal attacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFasFq4GJYM

jesus christ, my sides

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Oh by the way I've cracked the code:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk

owns

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

Since we're all offering financial advice:

Now that the First Home Saver Accounts are dead, my partner and I are looking for somewhere to put some money to save for a house deposit, where we don't get scrub-tier savings account interest rates.

Should I just set up a managed fund with regular contributions from Australian Ethical? Is there a better place that I could be putting my money so that it isn't going to fund coal mining and has a realistic likelihood of returns greater than the ~3.5% we can get from a savings account or a term deposit?
My partner is a bit hesitant about Australian Ethical managed funds because she doesn't want to pay fees, but I'm not really sure there are too many ethical alternatives that don't. It's a thing we're still trying to work out.

You should be able to do better than 3.5% with a term deposit. I got 7% on mine with Westpac (but I know you'd rather put it somewhere else - so would I at this stage).

You could try an ethical index tracker fund. We have some money in a regular index tracker fund (AFI) but an ethical one might be the way to go next time. I'm not sure if they have any in Australia, but I think there are some overseas.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Sarah Ferguson is leaving 7:30 to work on Uhlmanns rudd/gillard doco.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Edit: apparently because Leigh sales is back from maternity leave

I think Ferguson was better than Sales, but ultimately both are much better than Uhlmann. As long as 7:30 isn't going to him, I can live with it.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

"electronic address of the website"

as opposed to what, numbnuts, the postal address of the website? kill ursefl

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

The full thing is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N4vAdS4xT4

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

KennyTheFish posted:

I am going to go ahead and disagree with you here. The search for MH370 is important. Air travel is immensly safe because we make sure we try and figure out exactly why every crash happens. Putting a ship in the inidan ocean and map the floor from one side to the other for the next 10 years is a worthwhile effort. The side effect of better geology is a bonus. The new reaserch vesel they are only funding for 180 days at sea a year could spend the other 120 on MH370 search.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the government weren't crying poor and defunding everything in sight, including exactly the kind of research that would ordinarily yield the kind of information we might get out of this search as a "bonus side effect". You're right, air travel is immensely safe, and I have difficulty going to believe that the the insane amounts of money we're dumping into this could possibly improve that safety record by more than fractions of fractions of a percentage point.

e: Incidentally, where's the suggestion that we're going to get better geology out of this whole thing? I thought we just signed $50m over to some private company to go check this stuff out for us?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

U monster

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Small Keating posted:

Good poast. I believe (TOML, plz correct if I am wrong) the Greens also make use of Nation Builder (http://nationbuilder.com/), which was a big US Democrats staple.

I think NationBuilder was used by Adam Bandt's 2013 campaign as something of a pilot program, to see whether it was worth it. I'm pretty sure it's now getting some use in the Victorian Greens campaign- for the state election this November.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

#yesallyoungliberals

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

if you're the kind of person to whom such critical thinking comes naturally when presented with the rhetoric of a Christian, why on earth would you take something like 'Islam is a religion of peace' at face value?

This inconsistency from progressives between their critical vigilance of Christianity and a studied silence (if not apologia) toward Islam is untenable, and the Pavlovian resort to the peace platitude is it's most glaring absurdity.

For once in his life, IWC is 100% right about something.

http://johannhari.com/2011/02/25/can-we-talk-about-muslim-homophobia-now/

quote:

The most detailed opinion survey of British Muslims was carried out by Gallup, who correctly predicted the result of the last general election. In their extensive polling, they found literally no British Muslims who would say homosexuality is “morally acceptable.” Every one of the Muslims they polled objected to it. Even more worryingly, younger Muslims had more stridently anti-gay views than older Muslims. These attitudes have consequences – and they are worst of all for gay Muslims, who have to live a sham half-life of lies, or be shunned by their families.

No, Muslims are not the only homophobes among us. But the gap between them and the rest is startling. It’s zero percent of British Muslims vs. 58 percent of other Brits who say we are “acceptable.”

Yes, it is “Muslim culture” today to be bigoted against gay people. It was British culture to be anti-gay thirty years ago. Cultures change. They change all the time. They are not sacred and fixed. They are constantly in motion. But they only change if we admit there is a problem publicly and openly and search for solutions. We should not “respect” the bigotry of Muslims, any more than we would respect the bigotry of Christians or Jews or the Ku Klux Klan. The only consistent and reasonable position is to oppose bigotry against Muslims, and oppose bigotry by Muslims.

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 13, 2014

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I'd say this is probably less damning of Moslems and more damning of England. The Moslems I know from Australia don't really have any problems with gay people. Don't ignore the intersectionality at play here either - for the longest time, African Americans weren't too pleasant towards gays compared to their white counterparts either.

I checked in with England, and, nope, this is much more damning of British Muslims.

quote:

No, Muslims are not the only homophobes among us. But the gap between them and the rest is startling. It’s zero percent of British Muslims vs. 58 percent of other Brits who say we are “acceptable.”

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

If I posted a study that said "In Australia, 58% of people think homosexuality is acceptable, but 0% of Liberal Party candidates do", you wouldn't say "Wow, that's pretty damning of Australia". You'd ask exactly what the gently caress is wrong with the culture of the Liberal Party in Australia.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I would ask "What happened to the Liberals to make them this way? What forces of otherisation are preventing them from integrating?"

yeah, I believe that post, it definitely properly reflects the attitude you've showed when previously addressing problems with the Libs and Nats, definitely, sure

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Wow, so many racist, imperialist reactionaries in this thread, not like the embassy of old. At the end of the day, you don't have any right to say how people in other countries should live, and you support the racist, misogynist scum in our military more than a rag-tag bunch of people in another country fighting for their freedom against the slavery we would impose upon them. People who, because they share a name with a previous regime, must hold the exact same values (despite not having any real connection to that regime other than a shared name) because those brown savages.

edit: Azmet: not trolling. As an Arab-Australian who is culturally completely Australian I live my life in this lovely country every day being taunted by white Australians, screamed at and belittled, sometimes with attempts made to harm me, seeing discrimination crop up in some form or another in every workplace I've ever been in. I recently stopped being an organ donor in case a white Australian lives because of my donation. Death to whites who would withhold sovereignty from the true owners of this land, but especially death to reactionary whites who make this place unbearable for me to live in, and are forcing me to emigrate as soon as I have the money saved.
pictured above, an example of brown blitzkrieg asking nuanced, thoughtful and compassionate questions about people he disagrees with, just as he is really 100% sure he'd do in the hypothetical I just posed

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Is TOML suggesting that gays are more persecuted than Moslems? I'd disagree, and the general life-outcomes for each group should show why.

no, I wasn't suggesting we play the oppression olympics. I was suggesting that when you said you would take a sensitive and gentle querying approach to the culture of the liberal party you were talking out your loving arse

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I would ask "What happened to the Liberals to make them this way? What forces of otherisation are preventing them from integrating?"

Just to go back to this garbage for a second, here's a quote from the piece I linked, which I'm starting to suspect you never read.

quote:

It is true that British Muslims are themselves frequently the victims of bigotry — just as in the US and across most of the Western world, especially since 9/11. They are often harassed by the police, denied jobs, and abused in the street, and they are forced to watch as our government senselessly incinerates many Muslims abroad. (I have written many articles detailing and deploring these ugly facts.) So gay people are naturally reluctant to pile in onto minority who are being oppressed. We are rightly sympathetic. We know what it is like to be treated like this. We instinctively respond with solidarity, not suspicion.

But this can easily morph into excuse-making. When there was a wave of vicious gay-bashings in Amsterdam by Morroccan immigrants — ending the city’s easy, hand-holding culture — the gay spokesman for Human Rights Watch, Scott Long, said: “There’s still an extraordinary degree of racism in Dutch society. Gays often becomes victims of this when immigrants retaliate for the inequities they have had to suffer.” What? How is it a “retaliation” to beat up a gay couple? What have they done to Muslims? What other human rights abuse would Human Rights Watch make excuses for? Would they say the Burmese junta beats dissidents in order to “retaliate for the inequities they have had to suffer”?

When gay people were cruelly oppressed, we didn’t form gangs to beat up other minorities. We organized democratically and appealed to our fellow citizens’ sense of decency. It’s patronizing — and authentically racist — to treat Muslims as if they are children, or animals, who can only react to their oppression by jeering at or attacking people who have done them no harm, and who they object to because of a book written in the sixth century. Muslims are human beings who can choose not to do this. The vast majority, of course, do not attack anyone. But they should go further. They should choose instead to see us as equal human beings, who live and love just like them, and do not deserve scorn and prejudice.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

open24hours posted:

Of all the people to take a hardline stance against Islam I never expected it to be TOML.

What planet are you living on where what I'm taking is a hardline stance?

IWC made a post saying that often lefty progressives are super reluctant to criticise Islam and unthinkingly swallow the "Islam is a religion of peace" line. I said this is correct, and linked to a Johaan Hari piece in which it is shown that, in Britain, 58% of the general population thinks that homosexuality is acceptable, but literally ZERO PERCENT of Muslims do.

The piece was about the fact that the oppression of Muslims doesn't mean we shouldn't criticise the obviously terrible aspects of British Muslim culture (like the fact that LITERALLY ZERO PERCENT of British Muslims think homosexuality is acceptable).

It is kind of perfect that you are now turning around and responding to the suggestion that we should criticise the rampant homophobia of British Muslim culture by saying this is me "taking a hardline stance against Islam". I could hardly have asked for a better proof of Johaan Hari's point.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Soag posted:

which is kind of his point, muslim's shouldnt be beyond reproach but often are in lefty discourses

Thank you Soag.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Soag posted:

why would you try and "reform" a religion why not just fucken quit religion we live in the 21 st century and mobile phones and space ships not pagan times

you dont need to belive in the big floating YHWH up in the sky these days

I like you, Soag.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Hey Fruity, I'm sorry that I pissed you off with my post, I should probably have been a bit more thoughtful in handling an issue like this. Honestly I just thought Soag's post was a funny shitpost way of expressing an idea that I pretty much agree with. You're a cool poster and I don't like having pissed you off, so I'm sorry about that.

It seems to me like a well thought out reply from me wouldn't exactly help your Thursday get off to a great start, so if you want I am happy to pretty much just leave it there (and clearly there's lots of people in here who'd rather ReligionChat end as soon as possible). Rudatron and Soag have said a bunch of the stuff that I would have said anyway. But if you do actually want a response from me, let me know and I'll type something out when I get time this morning.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Yilmaz is horribly racist. Hth

I... I find this one hard. Yilmaz doesn't really seem particularly nasty to me. High school kids are ridiculous, and kids from different backgrounds often are ridiculous in different ways. Yilmaz perfectly reflects some of my high school experiences. Basically nothing makes me feel warm about that period of my life, but Yilmaz kinda does. It reminds me how silly and funny some of it was.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Splode posted:

Uhm I'd prefer it if you used the term face of colour, TIA

This is a loving hilarious post

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

You Am I posted:

Who the gently caress is this Yilmaz person?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR5b7FS1nrs

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

froglet posted:

Hey guys I'm at my new job and the things I have heard help :stare:

"I agree with Lang Hancock's aboriginal solution"
"This program hangs like a friend of the family from a tree"
"You're one of the good lefties froglet coz you don't expect the government to do everything for you"

:stare:

jesus loving christ

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

SadisTech posted:

:ducksiren: Requesting Advice :ducksiren:

Completely off-topic but I'm hoping someone who's done this before might be able to help out.

Since my mum passed away I've had to pay rent on her caravan and annex while waiting to find out if I have permission to sell it. It's in a long-term residential park that was previously administered by the Public Trustee, but has just been sold to a company that does retirement homes and the like. With the sale I have also been given permission to sell, which is good because otherwise it'd have to be torn down and carted away at my own expense.

I really need to sell it ASAP because it's costing me a bomb just having it sit there. I've had a lot of interested people but no-one willing to close the deal - until just now. However the guy who wants to buy it can't come up with the funds all in one hit and wants to pay a lump sum of about half and then sign a contract for $1000 per month until it's paid off.

The sale is all being handled privately and there aren't any fees or the like because it's not a property sale per se. So, my question is has anyone been in this situation? What should I know about creating a contract to ensure that it's legally binding if it should come to it? The guy seems generally trustworthy, but I'm loath to go into an arrangement like this with no legal protection if it should come down to it.

Any advice would be incredibly welcome as I can't find a lot of good resources particular to Australian law online.

Your instincts about not going into this situation without a legally binding contract are absolutely rock solid. However, the question "How do I draw up a contract so that it's legally binding if I need it to be" is basically "can someone give me a crash course in contract law". You should be pretty skeptical of anyone who says they can do that for you.

I would see if you can get legal aid or a community legal centre to help you draw up a straightforward contract. If you can't, you may be able to get a law firm (maybe a small suburban firm) to help you do it on the cheap.

If you are in Victoria, the Law Institute of Victoria has a list of law practices that will give you a free 30 minute consult. Other states might have something similar.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Are there any NSW Greens goons posting in this thread? A friend of mine is moving to Sydney and wants to get involved.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

e: nm

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 17, 2014

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

I used to play a lot of BF3 with goons. Our ace pilot would take a shitload of xanax and drink half a bottle of whisky over the course of a few games then enter a 25 minute zen state in which we could not be touched and flew like God's own angels (then the helo would go inverted and you knew he'd passed out and it was time to bail).

hey jbp how you going?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Here, have a look at some emails in which Immigration Departmental officers chat about sending Syrian refugees back to Syria.

https://docs.google.com/a/guardian.co.uk/file/d/0B7woNJLKHttNSl9GRGhkM3lSM0E/edit

Article here: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/19/australia-going-to-unthinkable-lengths-to-return-syria-detainees-emails-show

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Mad Katter posted:

loving hell I hate this country sometimes.

It sure is a shame that those public servants' names are included in these emails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

Quickly, how do you deal with a person who says the "inflated welfare state" will destroy first world nations and lead them down a path of "government reliance and degeneracy"?

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/05/30/australias-overly-generous-welfare-in-context/

• Locked thread