Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Amethyst posted:

Why is Twiggy Forrest's idiotic plan to put all welfare recipients on income management getting so much press? Is this Liberal strategy? Publicize something horrible so their own policy looks mild in comparison?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Endman posted:

I'm actually shocked it worked. Something I was a part of actually worked.

I'm stunned.

Don't get too excited, death is still certain

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Thank You for this boss new avatar!

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Props to the OP for using "drivel" instead of "dribble"

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I love stealing content. Piracy makes me feel good.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

quote:

That story is wrong because it fails to take into account a range of things like the fact that higher income households pay half their income in tax

wat

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

People seem to be incapable of understanding marginal tax rates.

e: plus the last time the marginal tax rate for the top bracket was 50% or over was 1986-87.

"People" in this case being the Treasurer of Australia

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

please attach trigger warnings to phelps content tia

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Missed the start because House Husbands ran over

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Has there ever been a government this bad at prosecuting their policy agenda?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Like, they've burned through all their political capital in less than 12 months and achieved absolutely nothing apart from the carbon tax repeal.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

George Brandis is a potato with a pair of glasses glued to it

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

He's deffo reading his mail on a Windows 98 PC with Outlook Express

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

The subtext here is that Tony Abbott didn't give a poo poo what the Muslims of Australia thought about 18c until he needed their support for his imaginary terrorist smoke and mirrors act

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

I know racists aren't that smart as a general rule, but how in the name of gently caress can anyone not look at that and immediately realise it's a loving lovely joke?

Because they want it to be true.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

"they believe"

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Those On My Left posted:

Does anyone here use a credit union or a small bank or something like that? I'm really tired of being screwed around by Westpac and would like to at least consider moving my money out of the Big Four. I'm only interested in going with someone who has an excellent online banking system, though.

I'm with bankMECU and they would win hands-down any "most ethical bank" contest. They also apparently just won an award for having the best internet banking experience in the credit union/member owned bank category.

http://www.bankmecu.com.au/why-bank-with-us/sustainability-and-community.html

Their twitter account is pretty openly activist about leftish things

Drugs fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 6, 2014

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Why does he melt down so hard over a forum game?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

*looks at map*

Caulfield is south of the Yarra so gently caress those guys

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Scylo posted:

How is it possible to be this bad at explaining it? I've read one article about metadata and I could do it better than he is.

He's trying (and failing) to explain it in a dishonest way, such that the take home message isn't "we are going to look at all your internet stuff"

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

These are dark days for the Classical* Liberals**

*liber
**tarians

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I've never met a nice South African

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Was also reading today on exactly how terrible Mandela and the ANC were at economics, and how in a few short years they managed to make economic inequality significantly worse than it was under apartheid

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

http://www.theage.com.au/business/t...806-10110y.html

quote:

Australia’s political elite are among the country’s most enthusiastic real estate investors, with records showing one freeholding Nationals member owns 50 properties and another holds 17.

Federal politicians on average own 2.5 properties each, or an estimated $300 million worth of land holdings, analysis of their interests shows.

Landed Nationals senator Barry O’Sullivan is Canberra’s biggest property owner, with a 50-strong investment portfolio. He rubs shoulders with Nationals property baron David Gillespie, who owns 17 holdings.

Billionaire Clive Palmer is also high on the landowner list, with 12 properties to his name, the breakdown of politicians' interests by property authors Lindsay David, Paul Egan and Philip Soos shows.

Independent South Australian senator Nick Xenophon maintains an impressive portfolio of eight investment properties, and high-profile Liberal Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull owns a similar number.

Only 13, or 6 per cent, of Parliament’s 226 members own no real estate.

The analysis comes as Australia’s home values reach new heights, with the latest data showing prices rising again in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra.

Values in Sydney grew over the year to July by 14.8 per cent, while Melbourne’s rose 11 per cent, RP Data figures show.

The combination of high property prices and lack of political action to make housing more affordable prompted the authors of the analysis to ask: “Are the property holdings of our federal politicians negatively influencing policy and causing them to ignore evidence?”

‘‘The trends in the data suggest a sizeable majority of federal politicians have a vested interest in maintaining high housing prices,’’ the authors said.

The analysis shows the top 10 landholders in Parliament own 92 properties. Between them federal politicians own 563 properties.

String the fuckers up.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

It's almost as if a significant chunk of the population had been denied equal access to education and career opportunities.

Also whitey booby-trapped the government on their way out by forcing them to pay back the apartheid debt and give lifelong pensions to all the racist civil servants who got kicked out. Their debt obligations forced them to privatise all their poo poo, selling public companies back to the white robber barons. They also got sucked in the World Bank/IMF/USA neoliberal dogma and went full Thatcherite.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Israel have caused otherwise ambivalent people to become actual anti-semites, in the same way that Al Qaeda have caused people to become Islamophobes

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I'm in UniSuper. I'm mostly thinking for my parents, who are looking at doing an investment fund for a few years as a way of saving up for a place in a new suburb.

Since we're all offering financial advice:

Now that the First Home Saver Accounts are dead, my partner and I are looking for somewhere to put some money to save for a house deposit, where we don't get scrub-tier savings account interest rates.

Should I just set up a managed fund with regular contributions from Australian Ethical? Is there a better place that I could be putting my money so that it isn't going to fund coal mining and has a realistic likelihood of returns greater than the ~3.5% we can get from a savings account or a term deposit?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

George Brandis knows he is right. He is right, and the fault lies with those who cannot grasp the fundamental issue of free speech at the same level as he and his mighty intellect can.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Those On My Left posted:

My partner is a bit hesitant about Australian Ethical managed funds because she doesn't want to pay fees, but I'm not really sure there are too many ethical alternatives that don't. It's a thing we're still trying to work out.

You should be able to do better than 3.5% with a term deposit. I got 7% on mine with Westpac (but I know you'd rather put it somewhere else - so would I at this stage).

You could try an ethical index tracker fund. We have some money in a regular index tracker fund (AFI) but an ethical one might be the way to go next time. I'm not sure if they have any in Australia, but I think there are some overseas.

Yeah the other thing I was thinking of was an ethical index fund, but everything I've found apart from AE so far have lovely screening processes, which let a whole bunch of nasty stuff companies through, with the word "ethical" slapped on the front to make people feel a bit better about themselves. I think an actively managed fund is going to be the only way to get my money going into the companies that I want it to.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Captain Pissweak posted:

Mighty intellect is funny as poo poo in light of recent events.

I derive a great deal of enjoyment out of seeing Brandis, a man who has made no attempt to hide the esteem in which he holds his own intelligence, be constantly made to look a blundering fool.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Orkin Mang posted:

I didn't know he considered himself to be intelligent. Every time I hear him speak he sounds like nothing more than a moderately articulate lawyer suffering from late-stage vampirism. His brainless stammering in that Sky News interview was not the performance of a man of any real intelligence or insight.

*He calls himself a QC, despite never having practiced law as one

*He bought two big-rear end book walls for his parliamentary office to show everybody how many books he has read

*He likened himself to Voltaire in a valiant defence of racists and climate change deniers

*He had a huge dummy spit over being wrong about the legality of the Israeli occupation of Palestine, and forced a bunch of colleagues to give interviews the next day and deliver verbatim testimony as to what a "fine intellect" he possessed

*He attributed his massive failure to sell the merits of racial abuse to Australia to the inability of the plebs to understand freedom at the same level that he, an acolyte of John Stuart Mill, does.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Remember when Phelps voted to remove right to silence laws because he cared more about keeping his job as party whip than about his belief system?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I just listened to Tony Shepherd talk on the radio and the fact that we lost the war of economic ideology to this clown and his mates has made me super despondent

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Highlight:

Shepherd - If the public sector was in charge of an infrastructure project it would never get finished
Faine - That's not an argument, that's just something you would say to your mates over drinks at an IPA dinner
Shepherd - Yeah we do say that
*silence*

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

He was also talking about how grouse it would be to privatise 50% of DHS, because "sometimes you need to trade jobs for efficiency, and the private sector is always more efficient"

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Yes. He specifically said that Transurban had done nothing wrong.

E: Reminder that this bloke is one of the most trusted economic advisors to the Prime Minister of AustraliaE:

Drugs fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 8, 2014

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Antlions posted:

So, something I'm not sure about : ICAC good? ICAC bad? ICAC good but run by bad people? I hear bits and pieces about it but I don't really have any context to go on.

ICAC is outstanding

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to spend $38,000 to say it

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

It wasn't a serious attempt to sway government policy or embarrass Tony Abbott, it was a 38 thousand dollar advertisement for IPA membership, unwittingly and directly paid for by their current membership of ageing racists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Keane and Dyer offer some advice to Joe Hockey

Point 4 claims that the budget is unfair because low-income earners receive the most government assistance, and point 5 correctly says that we spend a catastrophic amount of money on tax welfare for millionaires. How do the authors reconcile these two points? Why is welfare for rich people considered a different class of expenditure than welfare for poor people?

• Locked thread