Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Those little smarmy taglines on the bottom make me think of those purposely lovely cartoons from The Onion. You have to really try hard to make them half as terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

webmeister posted:

Kelly is awesome

Haha, I only just noticed the liquor bottle in that one now that I reposted it here.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Contra Duck posted:

What exactly do you need from the online banking? Credit unions are good for a lot of things but the online/mobile banking, while functional, won't be as fancy as the ones the big 4 have.

I've been with CUA a long time now, and their online banking is really straightforward and works fine. I've never found myself thinking "oh man I wish I could do X." Since I've never used any of the Big 4 (apart from a brief trial of ANZ that went horribly wrong, so I closed the account), I don't even actually know what sort of features the big banks would have that CUA doesn't.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Zenithe posted:

ING are quite good, provided you don't need to make cash deposits or bank a cheque. They have no fees, usually higher than average interest and have some handy things right now (2% back when you use paywave)

Huh, maybe I should look into them again. I used to have one of their online-only savings accounts and it was great, but then I drained it to start throwing money into a first home saver. But that's all getting scrapped now and I can pull that money out next year, so... :toot:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Those On My Left posted:

I will give $75 to anyone who can explain to me what happened to him.

that was a joke

But seriously, I'm not reading that whole thread, what happened?

This is probably more suited to GBS, but the rundown is basically:

1. Mills threatened to quit to try and save his best bud Yuming, but was wishy-washy about it.
2. Then he started literally bribing other people to quit
3. Yuming quit instead, oh noooo~
4. Despite not confirming that he was quitting, and despite his reason for quitting being moot now, he ended up probated and expelled from the game for blatantly flouting the rules with that bribery stunt

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

:911:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I wonder if he ever found that cleaner.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

No see, it's white Christians who are the truly oppressed minority! Everyone's freely bashing Christianity all the time but no one ever dares to speak up against Islam!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Gee, it sure is awful how impressionable children are, and how they'll believe just about anything you indoctrinate them with early, no matter how horrible and wrong.

Thank God we only indoctrinate them with good things, like our Judeo-Christian heritage!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Laserface posted:

Still curious what your appearance is like.

I was going to say he looks pretty drat normal, but it has been a long time since that goonmeet so maybe he's gone feral in the meantime.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Whoah, where are all these Brisgoons coming from? I'm always down for another goonmeet around here.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Liberal Democratic Party Senator, David Leyonhjelm, is reportedly backing Day’s position which, when combined with the opposition from the Palmer United Party and the Greens, means that the Budget measure has next to no chance of passing the Senate.

This awful plan for 6 months with no dole seems to have done a lot of net good after all. It's shocked people into being more politically active, inspired many to join the Greens... and yet it's not getting passed cause they couldn't even get the libertarian dude to back them up. How pitiful is that?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kommando posted:

Eat before you come, or we'll organise a procession to get burritos from GYGBurrito Bar or Grill'd after we're done.

:colbert:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

What the hell, Grill'd sounds like they were exactly the right kind of place that should have hired Anidav, only to get burned for it later when he sued them for whatever horrible safety violations he walked into.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jonah Galtberg posted:

His family is rich as gently caress, a fact he only realised in the last month or so

I walked away in lieu of a response which I was too angry to properly formulate

Maybe ask him if he's smart enough to do some basic math. Current minimum wage is $640.90 a week before tax. 6 months of that equals $15,381.60 before tax. Give him an actual figure to slap in his face instead of some vague ideological thing he feels he agrees with. He expects every single young person in Australia to have a savings of at least 15 grand to fall back on.

Or you could point out that since these cuts are targeting young people, they are just starting their working careers and haven't actually had time to accumulate those savings. Correct my figures if I'm wrong, but I believe it should still take a minimum of 6 months to accumulate that 6 month's worth of savings! Even for the smartest and most aggressive saver who forgoes eating or paying their rent or any other worldly expenses whatsoever.

Now what happens if they don't even have a job for that full 6 months.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

BCR posted:

Earlier this year, the annual Lowy Institute poll of Australian attitudes found 40 per cent no longer believed democracy is the best form of government.

But if we can get it up to 51 percent, that means we've democratically chosen to throw out democracy, so we can try something new, right? :dance:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

redweird posted:

I'm talking gulags for people who stand on the right side of the escalator,

Take out an ad in mX, you'll get a shitload of Brisbane votes.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Urcher posted:

You've put this on the same day as a South Brisbane Greens event. Now I'm going to have to decide who I like more: Brisgoons or Qld Greens

Maybe we should crash the QLD Greens event to start taking them over.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I don't mind some religionchat once in a while. I thought it was pretty interesting to hear more about that Fruity, since I actually share some of Soag's attitude of just not getting why someone would actively formally convert to another religion. The closest I ever came to that was when I started getting into Paganism instead of Christianity as my last-ditch effort to have some kind of religion, but even that didn't take.

But it's strange, I think I've still internalized a lot of things from Christianity, bits and pieces I liked like Jesus saying to help the poor and the outcasts and all that, just... not the actually technically believing any of it part.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Captain Pissweak posted:

Holy poo poo.

Cigar-chomping Foghorn Leghorn of Australian politics.

I'm still loving laughing.

I really hope Pope draws this.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

If Joe Hockey is unaware of the evils his policies would cause, he cannot be competent

If Joe Hockey is aware of the evils his policies would cause but chooses not to correct them, he cannot be benevolent

If Joe Hockey is aware of the evils his policies would cause, and desires to correct them, but is unable do so, there's not much point in having him be the treasurer

QED I just disproved Joe Hockey

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mithranderp posted:

Try the new McJihad! It's a taste explosion.

The greater McJihad is the internal struggle.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anidav posted:

"This may be satire now, Anidav but in 20 years time..."

So they're saying they wouldn't like living in a world where the mainstream media caters to a different culture? Gosh.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

froglet posted:

Hey guys I'm at my new job and the things I have heard help :stare:

"I agree with Lang Hancock's aboriginal solution"
"This program hangs like a friend of the family from a tree"
"You're one of the good lefties froglet coz you don't expect the government to do everything for you"

:stare:

Uh... they're... one of the good raving psychos cause they give you equal pay?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

shalcar posted:

Ahahaha, how is your run of luck this bad?

IT.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jesus gently caress, so that's how they're spinning it? I just heard on my drive up how they were releasing those children... but only ones that arrived during the previous government.

Sorry any kids that arrived since then, you're hosed! But isn't this government so nice and wonderful, to choose to continue keeping you locked up, right now in the present, while releasing those other kids that the other government was ~~soooo eeevil~~ to have locked up, just like they're locking you up, gfrabrledsfkjdslfd

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Has he actually singled out bludgers? You could act like you just assumed he was obviously talking about only old people, since they receive the majority of welfare. Didn't he read those great new figures the LNP were so keen to put on your tax return, about where your money's going?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

If he's so concerned about employment, and is talking about Joe Hockey, why not ask him about how consumer confidence has completely tumbled since the budget was released?

Sure, it's all well and good to say people have to learn to be self-reliant and work up that big pile of savings so they can go 6 months with no help from the government - but while everyone's doing that, they're not going to spend any money on anything beyond basic needs! How are our good Aussie businesses supposed to stay open, if everyone's too scared to spend any money on anything fun or expensive?

And how are we going to get those bludgers employed if no one can make more jobs, because those businesses can barely stay open with no one able to afford to buy anything? Consumer confidence, mate!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

meteor9 posted:

Man, I used to be a conservative before I left the US and realized I was a loving imbecile, and I still can no longer even jump through the necessary mental hoops to understand the mindset that welfare is bad.

That being said, for some reason being from the US gets me a bit of leeway to be able to say "well but the stuff the current government is saying is exactly what my old government would say all the time" and that seems to make people stop for a minute. Then I tell them about the single digit wages. Good times.

:911: :hf: :smith:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anidav posted:

His experience with the system is "all my best high school friends became bludgers"

Did they go to uni? If so, what did they study? Is he aware that youth unemployment is at a record high, and that might have something to do with why all his friends are now "bludgers"?

Is he still finishing his studies? Is he working right now? How much is he getting by on? How much does he think someone actually needs per week to get by? And what would he think of someone working full-time, clearly not a bludger, who's now working poor because despite all their hard work they aren't making enough to get by on that lowered minimum wage he wants?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

You Am I posted:

LNP doubling down on pure nastiness to nearly everyone bar.... well I don't know who they haven't pissed off.

The only way this could get even better is if Joe Hockey pissed off Nickelback somehow.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Brown Paper Bag posted:

They've obviously decided the only way Abbott's going to turn the polls around is through fear of dem terrists.

It could work - last night when they had that beheading thing on the news, I actually heard someone say "aren't you glad the former government brought in 900,000 of them?"

His teenage daughter was just reaming him for that and everything he said after it though, so good on her. :3:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Palmersaurus posted:

That's a new one to me. Is "900,000" an actual thing or just a big scary number?

hosed if I know! I tried to raise an innocent question to them about some of the refugees being escaping Christians, then buggered off to practice some music with the family member I was actually there to see.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SadisTech posted:

I'll be there feeling vaguely uncomfortable and out of place as I assume that everyone else in attendance is far cooler and less socially awkward than I am (also younger and better looking)! Yay!

I'll be there +1

Just got my tax refund too, so it's time to splurge it up :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oh man, this is really nice to hear they're at least attempting something... hope something actually happens, though.

• Locked thread