Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Nah, it's a thing with conservatives. I see the same crab bucket attitude in the US, the posters in the UKMT also see that kind of thinking in the UK and I would bet that it's something you see from every culture to one degree or another.

Japan is a pretty conservative country. Chicken Parma, do they think like this there, also?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

irony.jpg

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

QM, BCR, that one fuckhead here who is in the police. I'm thinking about diversifying my skill set. To do this, I'll need to undergo some training. The two areas I'm looking at are getting a sparky's license, or audio forensics. I have talent for both.

QM, how ducked is university looking these days?

BCR, what's the tradesperson market looking like these days. I understand that they've made it harder to become a sparky now and most people fail the tests. I'm not worried about failing, merely hoping that those capable of passing will have more work and less competition.

Police goon fuckhead, how much demand is there for audio forensics? Is it used much by the AFP, ASIO/ASIS, and state police? Are there a lot of people working in the field already? How terrible is it working with our boys in blue?

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

BCR posted:

If you've got the cash, pay TAFE for the Cert II Electrical Engineering. Its six months where you learn the stuff, before the apprenticeship. If you're lucky you can do a traineeship. Traineeships are shorter and over as soon as you tick the boxes, apprenticeships are four years mandatory. You might want to look into getting a cabling license and going into security systems. Its quicker and pays about $70,000 a year for 45hr shift work a week. Diesel Mechanics, Electricians and Plumbers are still in demand. You'd have to look into what your state wants and trains. If you're going to get trade skills you're going to want to do it with the government, because they're going to treat you better. Adult apprenticeships are pretty hard to find (over 21) because they've got to pay $750ish rather than $500 ish a week. You're also going to have a lot of personality clashes.

Thanks BCR, you're a righteous old chum. I'm not looking at anything working for anyone else, just the license to run my own business so I can do jobs on weekends / when in between TV contracts and still have a cash flow.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I've literally stopped making any plans that revolve around getting a job in science in Australia. At this point I'm closer to assuming that I'll try for work in the non-profit sector, hopefully with the Greens.

A politician with a background in science is a great idea. Even better if she/he also has a background in law and social sciences.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Tirade posted:

BB I imagine the various intelligence agencies have a need for audio forensics but I'd think that it's mostly done in-house, which would require a painfully invasive security clearance. And to be honest dude with your posting history I can't see you getting one.

Well, yore making a lot of assumptions there. The most egregious of then is that our intelligence services are even halfway competent.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

I am literally vomitting.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Fruity Gordo posted:

I think the higher proportion of South African Jews is that they were more recent immigrants, a lot of Ashkenazi Jewish Australians who live in Sydney are at least second generation immigrants now so the immigrant Jewish population really skews South African.

The thing is, though, that most of the emigrated South Africans did migrate because they didn't want to live in a place that allowed blacks to be in power. That's probably why so many of them came here in the first place.

There are a bunch of chill, awesome South Africans, but many of them are dickheads who fled because they wanted to keep being dirty racists.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Kim Jong ill posted:

Where do I need to go to stomp in the heads of those involved in this?

Fruity Gordo posted:

Cultural Marxism.

I can not say this enough: Anders Breivik did us the biggest favour of all time. As soon as somebody starts screaming about Cultural Marxists, you can just call them a Breivik-style terrorist who is out to kill white people with terrorism, like Anders Breivik did. It's too easy. They also reveal themselves as stormfront.org pinheads by saying this dumb poo poo. Go, my pretties, fly, fly.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

Is there actually a difference between auspol gbs and auspol d&d beyond post counts getting reset monthly in one of them?

Maybe when I was twelve.

Cartoon posted:

Apologies thread my previous Arsetralian headline grab wasn't nearly horrifying enough. Fortunately I didn't have to wait long for redemption. Behold:

The Arsetralian why would you click this? Why?

There you go. Section 18C eat your heart out. Let's have a bunch of far right exAJ nutjobs trumpet 100 years of religious war on the front page :smug:

Just for reference here is a basic threat matrix. Exactly how you define things does alter outcomes but simply put here RED/EXTREME means you absolutely need to address it, ORANGE/HIGH means you need to have a credible solution available YELLOW/MEDIUM means should address it, resources permitting, and LIGHT GREEN/LOW means it's something you should apply resources to if they available after fully dealing with the RED, ORANGE and YELLOW (DARK GREEN means you are worrying about the wrong things).

So for 'expert' David Irvine to go for MEDIUM he would have to be asserting that the threat was either really unlikely but with catastrophic consequences or on the line between that and very high probability (sometimes called certain) but low consequence. OK fair enough. The evidence to date says ~50 people motivated enough to go and fight over seas with limited to no intentions to do anything in Australia (the worst credible threat ever released was the guys who were going to try and gun down some soldiers and another bloke who had 'materials capable of making bombs' - HINT This is you you have those materials under your kitchen sink. I'm struggling to go to this being a SIGNIFICANT threat. As MINOR is all we are left with the likelyhood has to be CERTAIN to warrant being declared MEDIUM as a threat.

Conclusion :- :itwaspoo:

Also featured was how the Australian Press Council was giving the paper a sad. Looks like it's war there too!

Why do I get the feeling I'm going to be either killed or have to emigrate sooner than I had hoped for?

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/unsustainable-labour-costs-crippling-restaurant-industry-20140811-102n9d.html

Captains of Industry are mad that the greedy plebs are costing nearly half of their business expenses.

Behold the future of Job Creation:

I actually kind of welcome it. It means that I can go to a restaurant and not have to worry about a racist waiter going into the kitchen and telling them that "a dirty mussrat is at our restaurant. Poison him/undercook his food/spit in his food".

On another topic, I was looking for Auspol's opinion on an initiative I came up with. I expect to be absolutely lambasted for it and torn to shreds, because this is after all Auspol.

Basically, what if social media were used in an anti-name-and-shame campaign, for good purposes. Instead of focussing on outing racists, a social media page could be used to identify non-racist employers for the benefit of Aboriginal people. That means they don't have to waste as much time applying for jobs they won't get, and it's a step towards breaking intergenerational unemployment in those communities. Employers could identify themselves, or they could be recommended by other employers, job-seekers, current employees, etc. Cartoon? You'd love something like this, wouldn't you? If you could afford to have employees, I mean. Sorry.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

hooman posted:

This is a pretty good idea, but could be expanded to any non discriminatory employer. Are you not poo poo to women? Aboriginals? Foreigners? Don't even think "Foreigner" is really a thing? We want you!

The only problem would be a bunch of people going, OH SURE WE DON'T DISCRIMINATE because most terrible racists don't think of themselves as terrible racists and hate being called out on the fact that they're terrible racists *cough*Bolt*cough*.

I'm hoping the threat of having actual indigenous people show up for job interviews will be enough to deter such people. You could even rate workplaces through the website. Higher scores for actually having indigenous people in your workplace, for being recommended by your employees, for being recommended by your indigenous employees, etc, etc. Trip reports from applicants could be a thing also.

I think the main challenges are in moderation, assessment, and administration. Also funding, lawyering, recruitment and retention. But it should be easy to steer clear of defamation and such by submit not publicly posting anything negative.

e: Seriously, Auspol, tear my idea to shreds already. You're all like the ultimate black hat, and I need your input.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 11, 2014

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

My resume is apparently grouse (source: people who interview me and then don't give me a job) and it's just a word document with a nice font and layout (saved as a PDF obvs because gently caress people who send .docx files)

Don't .docx me, bro.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Ha, that article reminded me that Bob Katter exists. Ever thought about what it would be like if he became PM? Hilarious.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

You're joining the Australian Defence League?

Beaten like a brown man turning up to an ADL meeting.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

BB we don't use brown round here, Amethyst will tell you off something fierce

Amethyst can kiss my beautiful brown backside.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

Perhaps, but artifically declaring geographical and cultural integration may have similar effects.

This is not borne out in Europe's experience of large scale Muslim immigration. Rather than blend and adapt through cultural exchange and understanding, countries like France, the Netherlands and Denmark have all seen the rapid growth of far right parties while the suspicions between the newcomers and the local working class have led to the weakening of the welfare state and social democracy.

Yes that's the theory and it's appealing but it certainly is vague - i'm not sure what global culture is.

I will ask though: what exactly is it that we are to gain through an understanding of Islam and a large presence of it's adherents?

Maybe you ought to take a second to consider that for every 50 Western-born Moslems who grow up to become radical, there are 5000 who grow up to become atheists (whether they declare that publicly or not) but who then remain silent on the matter. For every 5 Western Moslems who were barracking for ISIS to genocide the Yazidis, there are were 5,000000 who were hoping the Yazidis survived. All Moslems in the West face systemic and overt prejudice, but their Western experience dilutes the amount of belief in god in their community, and that can only be a good thing, because emigrant culture does eventually, in some ways, affect the culture of their place of origin.

And for gently caress's sake, stop treating Islamic cultures as though they were monolithic. Not even Arabic cultures are monolithic.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Soag posted:

The only unconiditonally peaceful major religion would have to be new testament christianity (definitely not old testament)

Bullshit. Aside from the fact that Jesus specifically says that the Old Testament still applies, and aside from the history of Christianity, Jesus himself says that he comes to bring a sword.

Soag posted:

Christianity's "turn the other cheek" or "love your enemies".[/b] Islam is in this way much closer to Judaism, and i think it's wrong to call it the religion of peace.

The only problem here is that what was meant was to turn the other cheek only to other Jews who offend you, as does love your enemies - it definitely didn't apply to non-Jewish individuals. Jesus literally calls non-Jewish people dogs who deserve only scraps from the tables of the Jews.

I'd say this is probably less damning of Moslems and more damning of England. The Moslems I know from Australia don't really have any problems with gay people. Don't ignore the intersectionality at play here either - for the longest time, African Americans weren't too pleasant towards gays compared to their white counterparts either.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 13, 2014

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

"...Jesus specifically says that the Old Testament still applies..." Matthew 5:18

"...Jesus himself says that he comes to bring a sword." Matthew 10:34

"...Jesus literally calls non-Jewish people dogs who deserve only scraps from the tables of the Jews." Matthew 15:21-28, Mark 7:24-30

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Soag posted:

say what you want about christianity but at least the new testament is easy to interpret

the koran intially says get drunk and drink lots of wine and have fun

then mohammed changed his mind and said drink a little bit of wine but not too much

then he changed it again and said dont drink any wine

and all three of these sayings are in the koran

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Those On My Left posted:

I checked in with England, and, nope, this is much more damning of British Muslims.

But, like I said: why is this not the case here? Why is it not he case even in America? There's more going on here than just "Moslems hate teh gays"

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Those On My Left posted:

If I posted a study that said "In Australia, 58% of people think homosexuality is acceptable, but 0% of Liberal Party candidates do", you wouldn't say "Wow, that's pretty damning of Australia". You'd ask exactly what the gently caress is wrong with the culture of the Liberal Party in Australia.

I would ask "What happened to the Liberals to make them this way? What forces of otherisation are preventing them from integrating?"

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Those On My Left posted:

pictured above, an example of brown blitzkrieg asking nuanced, thoughtful and compassionate questions about people he disagrees with, just as he is really 100% sure he'd do in the hypothetical I just posed

It's the troll post that made me internet famous. You found it!*

Soag posted:

ok BB i admit i was wrong and know less about christianity than i thought i did

although it's a bit spurious to say that jesus calls unbelievers dogs, when he says that "dont feed dogs the children's bread from the table" in reference to healing a sick lady who he later heals anyway
Hardly. It's a typical Jewish attitude of that period: non-Jews are sub-humans, ranked with dogs and other lesser species. It's not just in the New Testament.

Soag posted:

and "i come with a sword, to set father against son" is maybe a bit different to ""Slay them wherever you find them. Drive them out of the places from which they drove you. Idolatry is worse than carnage. . . . [I]f they attack you put them to the sword. "

You're right. It is worse to encourage children to commit patricide than to encourage people to kill others they don't know.

Both are wrong and need to be purged from culture.

I just wonder about how our attitudes about how other people need to reform add to the suffering of people who are already widely persecuted, or even whether or not you can reform a culture which is being persecuted and discriminated against, due to the innate human spirit of resistance to oppression.

Is TOML suggesting that gays are more persecuted than Moslems? I'd disagree, and the general life-outcomes for each group should show why.

*PS - Death to whites.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 13, 2014

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Freudian Slip posted:

Edit: I guess the reason is that there is already so much over-the-top negativity coming from bigots that we don't want to be dog piling on top - even for valid criticisms.

This, exactly. Until we deal with our own secular and Christian bigots and shut them the gently caress up, we can't really engage the bigotry of Moslems, because they will just shut off completely when you confront them as they'll perceive you as being in the same category. Help them out by first cutting the power to the "jihad jihad durka durkas are taking over/are jobs", they'll be a lot more receptive to dialogue after that's taken care of.

rudatron posted:

They're actually the same problem though. If the people who are bigots about islam were running Australia, Australia would just be a christian version of ISIS (ethnic cleansing, death squads, the whole shebang). There's a lot of support for reaction within the muslim community, but your goal is to confront reaction and not 'islam' as a community or identity or whatever.

Your use of the word confrontation inspired a different train of thought in me completely. I had been puzzled by the stream of comments from bigots about "Where are the Moslems speaking out against x, y or z", knowing as I did that even where such comments could be made (and indeed, sometimes are made) that they would just be ignored or handwaved away. But such bigots of course do not want their stated goals, but simply aren't getting the amount of confrontation they desire, and as such are trying to elicit it. They've been geared up by the Great Hate Machine and have no actual targets to vent on. It's probably a part of why I walk into a coffee shop in Raymond Terrace and watch the cafe owner storm out the back in a huff after angry words with his employee about how he "won't serve no Mossie scum" (although in that instance, I guess I'm just thankful he didn't try to hurt me).

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Good question! As BB was saying (and even though it's anecdotal) all the Australian Muslims he knows have no problem with homosexuals. Even religions can shift with culture so if we continue to work on having homosexuality accepted in society at large, hopefully it will sway those whose religion says otherwise.

You know what else? It's not just the Australian Muslims I know, it's even the immigrant workers (sometimes on short term 457s) I've worked alongside of over the years. I've honestly had my worst experiences of homophobia in rural and regional areas, ordinary Australian suburbs, from the mouths of whitey. Misogyny, too.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 13, 2014

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Yes, they were part of the coalition of the willing and their presence helped legitimize the war. And regardless of that we take refugees from Sudan or kosher and Iran and Sri Lanka.

I realize we have a shoddy and often heartless approach but I don't understand why our imperfect policies are held as black stains against the nation's soul while Japans openly xenophobic and ethnocentric approach is excused

Japan sent construction and engineer corps. They didn't do any actual killing. They didn't even have weapons on them. Their constitution specifically prohibits them from engaging in foreign wars.

When Australia has such an upright and noble constitution, then we can claim the moral high ground.

Stop being a disingenuous poo poo, and stop posting the literal arguments of white supremacists.

You gigantic dork.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Fruity Gordo posted:

You really don't understand much. Show me the cause of the universe, and I'll show you god.

Why call that God, with all the baggage that word or entails, with all the confusion it can cause, and misunderstandings it can induce? Why not just say "show me the cause of the universe and I'll show you the cause of the universe"?

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

I don't think they would. Churches have the resources to pour into that kind of stuff, and if the entire humanitarian sector relied on donations and government grants, which they would if it was all secular, there wouldn't be nearly as much money invested into it as there is now.

Just take the money from the churches and distribute it amongst those who need it most. There, a perfect solution.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Fruity Gordo posted:

Because I grew up with a belief in a thing called 'god' and always thought of it as the reason why things are here and I'm not going to change the way I express myself for the sake of some nerds who can't understand the difference between my interpretation of god and what they read in first year philosophy about the first uncaused cause.

So, essentially, because tradition? The only problem I have with this arises when the unscrupulous sieze upon the word god to trick good people. See: evangelists quoting Einstein "god does not play dice", then raking in money hand over first from the dimwitted.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

But australian christianity developed conterminously and symbiotically with the commonwealth of australia, Islam did not, and this is evident in their relationship to the state and the public.

Australian Christianity fell apart in the face of the Australian lifestyle. Let Moslems be here in peace and watch as it happens to their faith, too.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Why is it our historical mission to enable the reformation of Islam?

It's not, it will just happen. Let it happen. What valid reason do you have for standing in opposition to it?

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Laserface posted:

Every grade at every school has a kid just like Jonah that acts out because they are struggling with identity and maybe lovely parents. White, Asian, Lebanese, it doesn't matter the race, they all act similarly and it's something most young people can relate to. gently caress, friendlyjordies 'yilmaz' is the same thing but Turkish.

It's just he chose to play a Tongan one that makes it bad according to auspol.

For the record my grades Jonah was Greek.

EDIT: and its not bad at also pointing out that these kids quite often struggle with family related issues that contribute to their behaviour which is a good thing to point out to the people watching who just think their schools Jonah is a dickhead.

I mean he is, but theres a reason for it.

Yilmaz is horribly racist. Hth

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

froglet posted:

Hey guys I'm at my new job and the things I have heard help :stare:

"I agree with Lang Hancock's aboriginal solution"
"This program hangs like a friend of the family from a tree"
"You're one of the good lefties froglet coz you don't expect the government to do everything for you"

:stare:

Haha, you live in western Australia. Please stay there, lest anybody try to follow you out.

Nuke WA

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Endman posted:

Yeah, see, every time I hear from Ricky I like him more than ever. He's not a Green, so he doesn't come off all bourgeois like we usually do, instead coming off like a regular bloke, but yet he manages to say the right thing a lot of the time. Someone please tell me why him getting a Senate seat was a bad thing. :allears:

We all assumed he'd end up being a store for the LNP and/or PUP. And he may well be. He already voted for the repeal of the carbon tax (I think?) - who knows what else his inexperience, lack of intelligence and conservatism might lead him to do.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Sydnesider posted:

Thought I would share this steaming pile just delivered to my inbox. Get me out of Waverley.

Dershowitz is a lousy academic, so her plays politics instead of doing good research or publications. Hit back with relevant Finkelstein and Chomsky.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

BCR posted:

I've heard Chomsky is a windbag who is pedantic about semantics c/d?

He's also a romantic who is sometimes sycophantic, but his ego is gigantic (it's the size of the Atlantic).

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Just desk work and admin stuff. But I just looked at their website, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't last a week there before snapping and hurting some people. I expected the to be kind of awful but probably harmless, but with a name like 'Family Voice Australia' I really should've known.

Read 'em and weep.

Hurting awful people? Take the job you wussy

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Fruity Gordo posted:

Also if you pull tobacco bongs with your cooch and hold in your queefs as long as you can it cures cervical cancer

Thanks for inspiring my next photo shoot, fruity.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

hoiyes posted:

Is that an Emirates ad in the bottom corner? They must be thrilled to be paying for space next to a Muslim scare piece.

There's an old LF goon who works for emirates. Someone would let him know

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

I just want to know if people are allowed to go abroad and fight against terrorist organizations. Can Iraqis go home and fight with the Iraqi army? Syrians? What about Iranians? Kurds? If somebody did that, would they get their dole payments cut? Not that you can receive unemployment benefits while you are overseas anyway, but you know, ignoring the dog whistles and getting down to the logic that forcefully refuses to underpin this rhetoric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Endman posted:

I'm also slightly annoyed they picked a phrase associated with the French Revolution of 1789 and a picture depicting the 1848 Revolution. :spergin:

You're annoyer that a journalist is too dumb to know that there were two French revolutions? What else annoys you? When water is wet? When the earth revolves around the sun?

• Locked thread