Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You Am I posted:

How does one come to this conclusion when you include the carbon costs of building multiple homes versus a single building with a number of apartments, as well as the pollution of people living on the fringes usually having to travel to work in a car or having to travel in a car to public transport?

It's a lot easier when you're not bound by the strictures of reality.
http://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/figures/population-density-and-energy-consumption-selected-world-ciites
https://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/eng/ch8en/conc8en/urbanenergy.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Nah, if they were truly incompetent every now and then they'd do something like raise the dole by accident.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

As the many excellent lawyers in our parliament demonstrate.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I think it's more that not being a lovely person gives you an advantage, at least in appealing to this thread.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It really depends on your field and your individual situation. Establishing a good rapport with potential supervisors is as important as your undergrad work.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Is it alumina? According to that DFAT analysis the Russian Federation imported $534m of it in 2008, which is pretty close to the $530m on the list Cartoon posted.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The labour movement has had its day.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.tylervigen.com/

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

TBH I'd prefer to order from an iPad than a person.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That doesn't make a lot of sense. There are lots of businesses out there that could adopt new technologies but choose not to for whatever reason.

I don't think automated fast food is really that far off, I can imagine food courts filled with these things.
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/chennai-based-food-box-gives-packaged-food90-secs_1054970.html

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There's no reason you can't build a deep fryer or a grille or whatever into one of those machines, and making a burger or chips is really not that complicated. Lights out manufacturing might have seemed impossible fifty years ago, but it's commonplace now.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

In the face of mounting allegations against the LNP in ICAC, perhaps the Greens and other parties might try a strategy of pointing out that they've never been investigated for corruption in their entire history.

Proof of their irrelevance. Not even worth bribing.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

BCR posted:

Earlier this year, the annual Lowy Institute poll of Australian attitudes found 40 per cent no longer believed democracy is the best form of government.

The main reasons given were that democracy was serving vested interests rather than those of the majority, and that there was no real difference between the two major parties.

Link.

This doesn't show that people don't like democracy, just that they don't like the current implementation.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What's to stop someone registering thousands of businesses?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The good thing about religions is that you can interpret them however you want. Are you a violent psychopath? Well there's a justification for that somewhere in the text.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If you're seriously debating the question 'Is Islam a religion of peace?' then you have far deeper problems than a lack of objectivity. It's a question so vague and imprecise that it becomes meaningless.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Soag posted:

I guess what i'm getting at is that Islam, and the Koran, both condones and refutes violence in different places, and in the lack of a central authority it's up to the individual to pick- and choose- what elements they emphasise and which they downplay.

This is in no way unique to Islam. If there was a central authority and it was preventing a group of Muslims from doing something they wanted to do they'd split and start a new church based on a different interpretation.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Soag posted:

yeah but the koran emphasises an individual's relationship with god and IIRC specifically denies a hierarchical religion?

anyway the caliphate was kind of like the papacy but ataturk got rid of that, which allows (in fact necessitates) that anyone who speaks about religion to claim moral authority when doing so

like, there is literally no analogue to the church of england, Orthodox patriarchs, papacy, dalai lama etc, which becomes vry problematic when there is such a wide range of interpretation possible

There are plenty of autonomous Christian religions though. The whole non-denominational movement works pretty much the same way.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Of all the people to take a hardline stance against Islam I never expected it to be TOML.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Those On My Left posted:

What planet are you living on where what I'm taking is a hardline stance?

IWC made a post saying that often lefty progressives are super reluctant to criticise Islam and unthinkingly swallow the "Islam is a religion of peace" line. I said this is correct, and linked to a Johaan Hari piece in which it is shown that, in Britain, 58% of the general population thinks that homosexuality is acceptable, but literally ZERO PERCENT of Muslims do.

The piece was about the fact that the oppression of Muslims doesn't mean we shouldn't criticise the obviously terrible aspects of British Muslim culture (like the fact that LITERALLY ZERO PERCENT of British Muslims think homosexuality is acceptable).

It is kind of perfect that you are now turning around and responding to the suggestion that we should criticise the rampant homophobia of British Muslim culture by saying this is me "taking a hardline stance against Islam". I could hardly have asked for a better proof of Johaan Hari's point.

Well, considering homosexuality is a sin and a crime under Islamic law it's hardly surprising that they aren't OK with it. What did you expect them to say? It's no coincidence the acceptance of homosexuality has increased in the west as the influence of religion has declined.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Of course they shouldn't be, but a criticism of their homophobia is a criticism of the religion itself.

Religions ought to be criticised, I'm just surprised to see it happening this way.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Freudian Slip posted:

This is the point that IWC brought up in the first place and what TOML was agreeing with. Often we are quite happy to maul Christians and Jews for abhorrent views but feel weird about applying the same standards to Muslims.

Edit: I guess the reason is that there is already so much over-the-top negativity coming from bigots that we don't want to be dog piling on top - even for valid criticisms.

Those On My Left posted:

If I posted a study that said "In Australia, 58% of people think homosexuality is acceptable, but 0% of Liberal Party candidates do", you wouldn't say "Wow, that's pretty damning of Australia". You'd ask exactly what the gently caress is wrong with the culture of the Liberal Party in Australia.

I guess this is what threw me. If your response to that article is to think 'What the gently caress is wrong with the culture of Muslims in England?' that seems pretty unhelpful.

What is 'wrong' with them is that they believe in a religion under which homosexuality is a sin. So, what is wrong with them is that their religion is wrong? Where can you go from there?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Good question! As BB was saying (and even though it's anecdotal) all the Australian Muslims he knows have no problem with homosexuals. Even religions can shift with culture so if we continue to work on having homosexuality accepted in society at large, hopefully it will sway those whose religion says otherwise.

Maybe it will, but it's not the case now.

Is it is more important for our society to be accepting of Islam or to condemn homophobia? If we allow people to move here with the full knowledge that they are or are very likely to be homophobic it would seem that we are currently erring on the side of religious freedom. If we introduced some sort of 'homophobia test' that would presumably count as a form of religious persecution?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If they lied on the test and were subsequently found to be homophobic they would be deported.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

rudatron posted:

That's an even dumber idea.

The practicality of the idea is irrelevant. For arguments sake assume it could be implemented in an effective way.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Deported to the gulag archipelago, natch.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I can't see it working out too well.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/the-lessons-of-goulburn-resonate-in-schools-50-years-later-20120820-24ik2.html

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Didn't we intern all the Germans during WW2?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gotta wait 'till they win government before they can start the revolution.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The reason we have a welfare state is because without one people might turn into communists.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You can be against high rises without being against density. I used to think that skyscrapers were necessary for a dense city until I went to Paris. Six storeys is enough.

[edit: I'm not against skyscrapers, but if people are that doesn't mean density is impossible to achieve.]

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I can't think of many things more predictable than Abbott backing out of his DD commitment.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The 'threat' of raising taxes is pretty funny. I imagine Labor would support it if for no other reason than they'll get a chance to cut them again next time they're in government.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't understand how people can be against medical marijuana. You can already get what is essentially heroin with the right prescription, how could weed be any worse?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's probably one of their scramjets. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scramjet_programs

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Wow a minibus taxi, talk about exclusive.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Ban private hospitals, health insurance.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Auspol4Croydon

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Probably confused it with The Lucky Culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Thanks goodness for representative democracy. If our betters didn't go to war on our behalf we might never get to go at all.

• Locked thread