Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Is there anything, anything at all that your current government does that isn't loving awful? I mean there are obviously good things but all of those seem to be things done by previous administrations.

Australian politics is like watching a really nice and well built old structure being burnt down by the people inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Yes, and that was a bad thing. The fact that women get help with various aspects of their lives via the government is a good thing.

When individuals are forced to provide things for themselves that pretty much everyone needs it's inefficient as hell. Individuals can't take advantage of economies of scale nor can they justify the expense of studying a problem to come up with an efficient solution. Leveraging these efficiencies is the whole reason large organizations like government and businesses exist! "No, no, lets all do these things on our own, by our bootstraps!" is loving stupid fetishizing of the idea of freedom, not good policy! Christ! :cripes:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I really feel that there's something uniquely Australian in that brand of "I suffered <hardship> so therefore nobody else is allowed to receive any kind of support or take action in defence of their rights when they're going through <hardship>"

My mum says that poo poo all the time. Gettin mad at mums

Nah, it's a thing with conservatives. I see the same crab bucket attitude in the US, the posters in the UKMT also see that kind of thinking in the UK and I would bet that it's something you see from every culture to one degree or another.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

What a loving moron.

Hey Malcolm, why don't you suggest that businesses pat down customers before allowing them to leave the store? After all, it would reduce shoplifting! It's not like it would be hideously unpopular, cost more to implement than it saves and lose them customers!

Malcolm, do yourself and the world a favor and ventilate the yawning void between your ears.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

IMO, real answer is that they are both dumb and ideologues. They think their ideology is good and therefore must result in good things but they are too stupid, entrenched in their ideology and cowardly to actually examine the outcomes it creates or to be able to admit that the results are poo poo.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

adamantium|wang posted:

quote:

Government told Tamil asylum seekers they would be forced onto lifeboats and dropped in the ocean

3 August 2014

Media Release – for immediate release

Lawyers for the 157 Tamil asylum seekers today revealed that Australian Government officers told the group they would be forced to go to India in three orange lifeboats dropped into the ocean somewhere off the coast of India.

Nine adults were instructed in English how to use the lifeboats and told they had to obey Australian Government orders to go on the boats.

The move happened on around 14 July while the High Court proceeding was on foot and after the group had already been detained on the Oceanic Protector for almost two weeks.

“The Government’s willingness to consider forcing 157 men, women and children as young as one onto lifeboats and dump them out at sea makes a complete mockery of the its claims to care for their wellbeing and for safety at sea,” said Hugh de Kretser, Executive Director of the Human Rights Law Centre.

“The clients we spoke to were terrified at the prospect of being dumped in the ocean on lifeboats but were told they had to obey.

“What ever your personal views are on politics and refugee policy, this move was an affront to human decency.

“We have been told that on around Monday 14 July, 9 adults and 2 children were removed from the rest of the 157 in the group. The 9 adults were taken to a number of orange lifeboats and told that they would be put in them and would need to navigate them to India.

“They were instructed in English how to use the lifeboats. All of them speak Tamil and only 1 or 2 spoke a little English. They were told that each boat would have 50-60 people on it.

“When they refused, saying they had no experience in operating or navigating a boat and couldn’t take responsibility for ensuring the safety of the people on board, the officers told them it was an Australian Government decision and they had to obey.

“The 9 adults and 2 children were then separately detained from rest of the 157 for four or five days. Each day they were extremely fearful of what was going to happen to them. Then they were taken back into the three main rooms and reunited with the rest of the group. The entire group was then terrified that at any moment they would be dumped in the ocean.

“It’s not clear why the Government eventually decided not to proceed with the lifeboat plan but the whole episode reveals the desperate measures they are prepared to use regardless of the human cost.

“Secret detention on the high seas, trying to dump families in lifeboats in the ocean, secret overnight transfers, misleading the public, frustrating access to lawyers and to the courts – such behaviour from the Government is trashing the foundations of Australia’s democracy. Respect for the rule of law, open and transparent democracy and fundamental human rights are some of the things that have made Australia the great country it is, but this Government is seemingly willing to trash them all for a few cheap political points in the opinion polls.

“I was struck that despite everything they had been through, our clients thanked the Australian Government for bringing them to the Australian mainland. Now they’ve been secretly transferred to Nauru and given the reports of the state they arrived in, I’m deeply concerned about their wellbeing.

“These 157 men, women and children have been subjected to a level of cruelty and callousness that has no place in modern Australia,” said Mr de Kretser.

The Human Rights Law Centre has been told that:

* The majority of the group are Christians.
* They raised the Virgin Mary flag on the boat to seek her protection for the voyage.
* They are Sri Lankan Tamils.
* They are fleeing persecution in Sri Lanka.
* Some of the asylum seekers arrived in India less than 6 months ago. (We were only able to speak to 15 of the 107 adults on board.)
* The asylum seekers revealed a precarious existence in India where they were denied basic legal rights including being unable to lawfully work, send their children to school or have freedom of movement. (India is not a party to the Refugee Convention.) Some revealed safety fears in India also. (We were unable to explore these issues properly with the 15 clients we spoke to and were urgently seeking proper legal access to all 157 asylum seekers in order to advise them on the option of speaking to Indian officials in Australia.)
* While detained on the Oceanic Protector between around 29 June and 25 July, the asylum seekers were locked in three separate windowless rooms (the 9 adults and 2 children who were separated for four or five days during the lifeboat incident were held in a fourth room).
* They were only allowed out of the rooms for meals and spent around 22 hours day inside the rooms.
* On a number of days they were locked in the windowless rooms for the entire day because the weather was rough.
* They did not know where they were.
* Families were separated – fathers were placed in separate rooms from women and children. Fathers were only able to see their family 3 or 4 times during the on-water detention.

Further points

* The asylum seekers were not permitted to have a change of clothing until we intervened on their behalf after speaking to them for the first time on 11 and 12 July, when they had already been detained for around 11 days.
* Despite Minister Morrison conducting a press conference early on Friday afternoon 25 July confirming they would be brought to Australia, the 157 asylum seekers were not informed of that news until we spoke to them late that afternoon..
* In Curtin Detention Centre, the asylum seekers asked for phone and internet access in particular to let relatives know they were safe. They were told they would have phone access on Saturday 2 August. They were transferred out of the detention centre on the night of 1 August

The Human Rights Law Centre has been working with Shine Lawyers and a team of barristers led by Ron Merkel QC to assist the asylum seekers. We obtained client approval to release this information on Friday 1 August.

The Press Conference Scheduled for 11am on Monday 4 August will proceed: HRLC office Level 17, 461 Bourke St, Melbourne.

More information: Hugh de Kretser 0403 965 340 or Tom Clarke on 0422 545 763 or tom.clarke@hrlc.org.au

This loving government

I think I understand why there was so little reaction to this. After all, I could hardly come up with words to express my utter disgust at the callous, cynical and inhumane actions of the Australian government with regards to the treatment of refugees. I find my reactions to the brutality of the Australian government dull and numbed. I hope there are people in Australia that can still feel true anger at these injustices, all I can feel anymore is tiredness and futility. :sigh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's little reaction to it because a significant percentage of the population is okay with it.

I was talking about the thread reaction. I already knew the public's general reaction ranges from total apathy to an enthusiastic thumbs-up for murdering asylum seekers. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

Jesus Christ, that Life of Pyne picture is pure nightmare fuel.

My first thought was "Mr. Bateman? Is that you?"

"Australian Psycho" Has a nice ring to it eh?

• Locked thread