Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.
Looks like Abbott's killed the changes to 18C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Splode posted:

source?

That is absolutely hilarious.

Cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria. A world gone topsy turvy as gently caress.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

duck monster posted:

Its yet another groupsicle to come out of the "national alternative" which split up a while back. @ndy slackbastard will probably do a write up at some point soon.

Duck Monster: in your opinion, what is the state of play w/r/t the vitality of fascist/racist/fuckhead groups in Australia today? On the rise? Dying a slow death? Maintaining a toehold?

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I seem to say this every month, so time to get it out of the way early this time:

Similarly, I didn't know we lost at Gallipoli until seeing the actual movie; it was apparently more important that we know what an Australian trench looked like, down to specific details, than whether or not we won in them.

The worse one to me is still Eureka, though. I didn't know it was a failure until last year, when explaining the name of the Australian mech from Pacific Rim to an American friend of mine. Guillermo del Toro indirectly taught me more Australian history than my actual Australian history course.

That lovely Howard history curriculum REALLY hosed up my sense of both perspective and actual historical fact. Not only did it gloss over our failures and shady poo poo (of which there were many; Australia hasn't exactly had the most glorious history), the overfocus on what little we do have meant that I had a twisted grasp of the history of the rest of the world in comparison.

Truth. At my high school, we certainly got a little bit of "war is fatalistic hell" from a broad philosophical point of view, but the actual details got glossed over to a degree I am only just now beginning to realise.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

loving hell. He really has no idea what the gently caress he is saying.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Captain Pissweak posted:

They caused this. They stopped the lamb because it's all they know, and now they're going "oh poo poo we weren't ready for serious diplomacy, unfair".

Fuckin' hell. This week has been absolutely wonderful. The first time I have had a smile on my face that lasted more than a microsecond in the presence of the mighty AusPol. When will they ever loving learn that poking the bear (in this case, the actual loving bear) and expecting the bear to take it is not a concrete cornerstone of your foreign policy initiatives.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Scylo posted:

It's a sanction that impacts a tiny percentage of GDP (0.00049%) It's meaningless, and isn't going to teach the Abbott government anything. It's also not a bad thing when governments stand up to leaders responsible for the death of innocents, they should just try and be more consistent about it.

You're right, it isn't a deathblow to GDP by any means, but it's nonetheless a significant sum of money to those affected by the sanctions, and will, I believe, play badly in the media.

In related news, Operation Bring Them Home has been an immense waste of time and money that carried with it a high risk of further casualties, and if we want to go there, the money and time sunk into the totally pointless hunt for MH370 has similarly produced absolutely nothing of value. Taken as a whole, the LNP's attempts to play on the world stage have not, to my knowledge, gone well, and I imagine even the most politically apathetic citizen would as a result probably prefer energy, time and cash (oh so hard to come by now that the Age of Entitlement has come to an apparently ignominious end) were invested closer to home and further from the international limelight.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Les Affaires posted:

Maybe all you vodka-swilling idiots will finally turn to the correct white spirit:

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

You Am I posted:

From the Sunday Canberra Times

Gold, Jerry.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Good to see that Googling the names of the involved entitled little shitstains gets you that article, front page, results one and/or two.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That is either the most brain-damaged DNS redirect made by a political entity I have ever seen, or the very model of a Good Domain Snype.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Tirade posted:

The Greens ran a really solid campaign for the second senate seat in the ACT. Although much of their success was due to Simon Sheik's name recognition and ACT liberal voter distaste for Zed Seselja and how he rolled Humphries, a lot of it was due to the serious IT support the campaign had. As an example, door-knocking volunteers recorded the reception they got at each individual house from 1 to 5 which influenced whether they'd get a follow-up, and tried to tease out what issues they were most concerned about, which fed into what type of mailouts they'd receive later in the campaign. A lot of it was due to the Greens taking notes of Obama's ground game in 2012 which had a similar level of IT-enabled electioneering.

It'd be fascinating to see whether likely political leaning could be teased out from shopping habits. Door-knocking is a really good tool but it's a limited resource and any way to be smarter about where it's employed would be really valuable. So say for example there was an incredibly strong link established such that someone buying a line of organic products is 90% likely to vote Green. Those people no longer get a visit from door-knockers, because their vote is pretty much locked in already. Or alternatively, people who buy "Atlas Scrubbed" body wash who have only a 1% likelihood to vote Green, who can now also be crossed off the list.

One of the key things is that with enough feedback loops you can try a bunch of different ideas and get a good feel very quickly whether it's working or not. The libs (and to only a slightly lesser extent the ALP) are going to be at a disadvantage at this, at least for the next few years, because the student politics wallys that increasingly make up their youth wings are good at internal politics and not much else. So they're lacking some of the dynamism that can come from passionate volunteers that have a good sense of what tech can do and a willingness to try a bunch of different poo poo and see what sticks. Instead they're buying it from advertising agencies, who will get there eventually but are lagging because their expertise is mostly tied up in traditional media.

Good poast. I believe (TOML, plz correct if I am wrong) the Greens also make use of Nation Builder (http://nationbuilder.com/), which was a big US Democrats staple.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

CrazyTolradi posted:

When it comes to resumes, a lot of it comes down to the look. You're competing with anywhere over 200-1000 odd other applications, you need your resume to look professional and stand out. I cannot help but laugh whenever I see a word doc resume because it just looks like no effort went in at all.

Indesign is good for resume making if you can...acquire a copy, for a fair price.

Hell, you can get it as part of Creative Cloud for $20 a month.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

In other news, Alex Douglas has quit the PUP.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-11/palmer-united-party-queensland-leader-alex-douglas-quits/5662862

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I've gotten a single interview from combing Seek, and it was for a data entry job advertised by a recruitment agency, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't count.

Thing is, since I don't have any contacts, and I'm not exactly in a field that works for just walking in with my resume (writing with a focus on editing, but really I'll just take loving anything that's mostly computer at this point), I don't really have any other way to do things.

Back when I worked for the Man, I came by all of my (four or five, IT related) jobs through Seek. That said, this was four or so years ago, and every job acquired via Seek turned out to be make-work on behalf of embezzling scum, so do with that information what you will.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Weatherman posted:

and because they want to edit your resume directly to make you look more attractive to the employer (and therefore get themselves those sweet sweet placement $$$) by making poo poo up wholesale).

Is nothing sacred.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

MELBOURNE GOONS MOBILIZE. We can't let these northerners show us up, with their sunshine and their palm trees and their militarized police state.

No, srsly, what are the thoughts on Melbgoonmeet?

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2724463/nside-privileged-life-Joe-Hockey-doesnt-think-poor-people-drive-cars.html

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but above, the Daily Mail tears into Joe Hockey's property portfolio and patronage of two separate North Shore golf clubs. Good for a laugh.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Anidav posted:

Actually I think the problem with Labor is that too many of their leaders try to be Paul Keating but the poo poo Keating got away with just doesn't fly anymore in a biased, sensitive media landscape.

Yeah, that's also fair. He taunted Downer, in particular, pretty mercilessly in ways that I doubt he'd be able to get away with today.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Tomberforce posted:

In other news the bland spread of the Coles/Woolworths duopoly continues in Perth with plans to bulldoze the genuinely vibrant and interesting Subiaco Station Street markets and imaginatively replace them with...... a Coles! This is approximately 100 metres from a large Woolworths and about 1km away from the nearest large Coles. I guess they've cottoned on to people having an option to buy fresh produce at less than half the cost of the large supermarkets and have decided to put a stop to it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-12/plans-to-shut-down-subiaco-markets2c-open-mixed-office-and-com/5666336

Pricks.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Endman posted:

Pictured: a Queensland Police "Rescue Vehicle"

I've seen a few of those down here in Melbourne, courtesy of the SOG, I believe.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

WebDog posted:

The interesting thing is the feeding frenzy for clickbait will actually foster a drive for the more "intellectual" news outlets, so there's a possibility the Australian will survive by a desire to be actually informed.

The race to the bottom, however, is further fueled by social media relinking "shocking!" news headlines and saucy galleries.
I suspect NewsCorp is using as much of the revenue out of news.com.au to keep the rest of the ship afloat.

Another interesting tactic I've noticed are articles that have links referencing themselves, or recycling through the "related" or "recommended" articles where they have been given a different title.

Blog-news seems to sit in the middle. At times you have excellent and well researched articles, at the other time you have things like IA and Crikey that tend to end up as soapboxes for disgruntled journos or washouts like Ellis.

Nick Davies' Flat Earth News does an excellent history on the decline of the press, opening up with The Australia's campaign against Whitlam.

The clickbait stuff is further assisted by the rise of Content Delivery Platforms like OutBrain etc, that basically turn the bottom of any nominated article into a web-ring portal (what a 2014 idea).

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Lizard Combatant posted:

:wtc:

Just noticed the Hockey-chair's legs

Pope's Abbott-face is second to none. The dead eyed, inanimate simian rictus depicted identically in every cartoon is a stroke of genius.

Edit: as is this snipe

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Meanwhile, Vic Labor is all of a sudden talking up medical marijuana as it desperately shudders and gyrates its shambolic way towards anything that might provoke a positive/less than totally apathetic response from the public, and, to boot, there was a reasonably positive write up in one of the Melbourne papers this morning touting the benefits of such an idea/actively not trotting out the usual regressive bullshit one might otherwise expect to make an appearance.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Abbott announced a MH17 memorial to be erected in the gardens of Parliament House. Dude's shameless.

Presumably he will get Gina to write the epitaph. The plane in Ukraine falls mainly on the plain, or something to that effect.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Laserface posted:

Was trying to buy Metro Redux for XBox today and came across this Outlast cover art which looks surprisingly like Abbott.

Solid motivational. 10/10.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Lid posted:

A primary school principle sent this to parents. Yes.

Incredible. Probably drunk. Probably thought himself hilarious. Probably still does. Vice-principals are where it's at, they tend to do all the actual work.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Haters Objector posted:

I've seen some of this clown's Facebook conduct first-hand via a mutual friend, and let me tell you this is a very, very good way to start the day.

The Arsetralian posted:

BUSINESS lobby group Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ACCI) is investigating a complaint laid against its chief economist alleging he posted crude and offensive slurs, as well as attacks on a rival lobby group and federal Treasurer Joe Hockey, on his Facebook account.

A collection of Facebook posts attributed to ACCI chief economist Burchell Wilson included derisive or sneering comments about refugees, the disabled and Muslims and a post describing federal Treasurer Joe Hockey as a “fat bastard” whose biography was tedious.

Mr Wilson frequently appears as a public spokesman for ACCI, which represents small to medium-sized business across Australia, and is a strident critic of the Renewable Energy Target.

A complaint was lodged with ACCI yesterday morning via an email containing screen grabs that the complainant alleged were from Mr Wilson’s Facebook account.

ACCI CEO Kate Carnell said this morning she was trying to contact Mr Wilson, who was on a flight, and would act decisively if the complaint was borne out.

“I take it incredibly seriously and we will investigate it fully. I will take action if it’s proven to be right,’’ she told The Australian

“If it’s what it looks like, it’s completely unacceptable.”

The Australian cannot confirm that the Facebook posts are genuine. Mr Wilson spoke briefly to The Australian while changing flights today and did not confirm or deny that the posts were his.

He said, however, that his privacy had been violated and “Australia is either a free country or it’s not”.

He also spoke of a “dirty tricks campaign” before ringing off saying he would call back in an hour after he landed and had spoken to Ms Carnell.

The screen grabs in the email suggest he shared a post claiming moderate Islamic leaders were providing a smokescreen for Muslims who were “putting bombs on your buses and raping your children”.

His alleged remarks about Mr Hockey came in a post including a photo of the Treasurer as a child that he described as “Joe Hockey as a fat little bastard … his biography is so tedious”.

In June, the screen grabs suggest that he posted that “the c^nt sitting next to me at the bench is bitching to his deformed girlfriend about ‘once you are recognised as a refugee…’. Shut the f^ck up or I will make you one.”

The screen grabs also show attacks attributed to Mr Wilson on rival business group BCA, which represents large companies, and its chief executive Jennifer Westacott.

Another posts includes a comment attributing a discrepancy in the price for Tom Hanks’ autograph on pictures from Forrest Gump and the AIDS drama Philadelphia to “the gay discount”.

The scandal involving Mr Wilson follows hard on the heels of a similar furore that saw Alan Moran leave the free-market think tank the Institute of Public Affairs after posts on Twitter linking Islam and evil.

Earlier this month another former IPA identity, Aaron Lane, was forced to quit as a Liberal candidate in Victoria after making a series of homophobic comments on the microblog.

Evidently, the odious little poo poo has played the "my Facebook account was hacked and I'm afraid for my safety" card post-haste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That is loving crazy; I thought I was across most of this stuff, but that is definitely news to me. Wow.

Edit: and that sarin gas thing. Bloody hell.

Small Keating fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 30, 2014

• Locked thread