Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

ewe2 posted:

We'll be ok we've got TWIGGYBUX

I'd love to see someone ask why this shouldn't also be extended to the pension and veteran's benefits. Why should my tax dollars be spent so some old lady can feed her pokie addiction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
BB I imagine the various intelligence agencies have a need for audio forensics but I'd think that it's mostly done in-house, which would require a painfully invasive security clearance. And to be honest dude with your posting history I can't see you getting one.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Well, yore making a lot of assumptions there. The most egregious of then is that our intelligence services are even halfway competent.

Well yeah, I don't know the process but living in Canberra I've got a few mates who have been vetted. For ASIO/ASIS etc they ask for your entire life history and work on the assumption that everything you tell them is wrong, so they'll try to independently verify everything. They ask for your Internet habits, get you to give them your Facebook / other social media passwords, and so on. That's not even going into the interviews with friends and family, psych testing, and other random hoops they get you to jump through.

I'm not going to try and argue about their competence but I'm sure they're paranoid about not having an Australian Snowden, so they'll be focused on political views that suggest that's a possibility.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Just wanted to let the thread know that I'm having a beer in celebration of Abbott's back down on 18c. And y'all should too (or whatever form of celebration you prefer) - it's important to celebrate the wins given all the terrible things going on in auspol these days.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Gough Suppressant posted:

Good to know that someone is dumb enough to stand up and defend the idea of using femininity as an insult to people as long as you really don't like them

Also no surprises that it was someone willing to defend racism as long as you really don't like the targets.

Hey muyb do you see any dissonance between getting upset about this, while strongly defending your right to call for politicians to be killed / kill themselves?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

The Department of Defence declassified a bunch of its old planning documents a few years ago, and the ones from the late 40s / early 50s included sections describing the Germans and Japanese as "naturally aggressive races that need to be subjugated for all time". Nice to see Leahy's moved on from saying such outrageous statements by bounding the time frame for our ideological wars.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Incidentally Leahy was also appointed only a few days ago to a panel to conduct a "first principles review" of the defence organisation. Can't wait to see what he proposes to increase their Muslim-fighting efficiency.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

From that :

Woah.

Thanks for pointing that out, I kinda skimmed over it. I'm absolutely fascinated / horrified by what you can do with large data sets. It's got similar ramifications for electioneering. Our only saving grace is that it will be the left that capitalizes on it before the right.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Haters Objector posted:

Why do you think this will be the case?

Sorry for the slow response. I'm basing it mostly on recent elections in the US but here as well. The conservative party machines have so far seemed unwilling to go against conventional wisdom, so will take the advice of established election strategists over some nerdy Nate Silver type who has crunched the data. It also showed up here in the ham fisted way the Libs ran their online campaign last election (twitter bots and Facebook likes etc).

I'll write up a proper post on it when I get home but it there's some real potential for the Greens to exploit before it comes mainstream enough that the majors start paying attention.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

webmeister posted:

In my daytime career (as opposed to my shitposting career), I partly do work with one of Australia's biggest loyalty card programs, though not one of the supermarket ones. The amount of data that loyalty card programs generate per customer is absolutely phenomenal. The supermarkets have been doing this sort of stuff for ages, and have brought in people from the UK to beef up their programs - remember that Tesco in the UK is also a bank.

They're already crunching huge amounts of data about you; whether it will be useful to political parties I don't know. You'd certainly be able to predict political leanings based on a very small sample size though!

The Greens ran a really solid campaign for the second senate seat in the ACT. Although much of their success was due to Simon Sheik's name recognition and ACT liberal voter distaste for Zed Seselja and how he rolled Humphries, a lot of it was due to the serious IT support the campaign had. As an example, door-knocking volunteers recorded the reception they got at each individual house from 1 to 5 which influenced whether they'd get a follow-up, and tried to tease out what issues they were most concerned about, which fed into what type of mailouts they'd receive later in the campaign. A lot of it was due to the Greens taking notes of Obama's ground game in 2012 which had a similar level of IT-enabled electioneering.

It'd be fascinating to see whether likely political leaning could be teased out from shopping habits. Door-knocking is a really good tool but it's a limited resource and any way to be smarter about where it's employed would be really valuable. So say for example there was an incredibly strong link established such that someone buying a line of organic products is 90% likely to vote Green. Those people no longer get a visit from door-knockers, because their vote is pretty much locked in already. Or alternatively, people who buy "Atlas Scrubbed" body wash who have only a 1% likelihood to vote Green, who can now also be crossed off the list.

One of the key things is that with enough feedback loops you can try a bunch of different ideas and get a good feel very quickly whether it's working or not. The libs (and to only a slightly lesser extent the ALP) are going to be at a disadvantage at this, at least for the next few years, because the student politics wallys that increasingly make up their youth wings are good at internal politics and not much else. So they're lacking some of the dynamism that can come from passionate volunteers that have a good sense of what tech can do and a willingness to try a bunch of different poo poo and see what sticks. Instead they're buying it from advertising agencies, who will get there eventually but are lagging because their expertise is mostly tied up in traditional media.

Tirade fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 10, 2014

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
I'm well aware that this is all also incredibly invasive and creepy. But it's happening already, maybe it's worth looking at seriously and eking out what benefits it may have for the good guys.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

webmeister posted:

To be honest though, Abbott does kind of have a point about the "blackest day in Australian sport" press conference. It was pretty stupid in the sense that two ministers stood there and talked about their investigation showing rock-solid evidence of widespread doping and match fixing, but then basically had nothing to back themselves up until much later on.

Yeah, some law professor was giving some background on NewsRadio last week and said the Essendon case is pretty solid - ASADA way overstepped its legal authority in the way they teamed up with the feds, and are likely going to get a kicking as a result.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Nibbles! posted:

Keep reporting the page and various post/comments that are openly bad. Sometimes they moderate, sometimes they don't. Next time they might have a review and they say bad luck.

These dickheads are posting with their own name, shouldn't be too hard to track down their job, write an email to the company saying that you're a journalist from some legit sounding press agency doing a story on corporate acceptance of employee hate speech. Get creative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

sidviscous posted:

He'll be interviewed by Uhlmann. "Mr Pyne, can you explain why your policies are so good for Australia".

"Mr Pyne, your legislation seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?"

• Locked thread