Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

norp posted:

You would need to encrypt (and/or use a a side band for) your DNS traffic as well or they will be able to match your DNS lookups to the ip addresses you connect to.

In addition there are not going to be multiple services on one IP using https, because the certificate exchange happens before the web request.

Typically the way I'd anticipate this kind of monitoring being implemented is using something along the lines of cisco netflow. This is placed usually on an edge router and captures (IP,Protocol,Port,Time,Size) tuples for each connection made (on the order of hundreds for a typical modern webpage). ISPs used to use this mechanism for traffic accounting (and this advice, horribly mangled is probably the root of the "no browsing history but your IP addresses" clusterfuck, and maybe also the "ISPs already collect this stuff" clusterfuck). Now, as you can guess, this generates a metric fuckload of data (tens of terabytes per day for a decent sized ISP) so nobody really uses this stuff anymore - they use technologies like ISG, which just keeps running totals of different traffic types for each customer's login session (a bit like a more flexible kind of RADIUS accounting for those here with a bit of technical background).

So, if a netflow style solution were to be implemented then it would still track all your sessions (https or http). A VPN or a tor style connection would of course obfuscate the traffic - you'd just see the VPN endpoint or the tor nodes you're connecting to.

DeathMuffin fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Captain Pissweak posted:

These fuckheads don't know poo poo.

If there's anything that this last year has taught me, it's how fundamentally flawed the concept of meritocracy is... Just how many of these uber wealthy captains of industry are actually dumb as poo poo.

Like - we all suspected it, but we seem to be reminded of it on a daily basis.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Captain Pissweak posted:

It's really telling that the only person in the Liberal party even vaguely capable of commenting on climate change as a result of their background is a vocal denier of it.

Not really though - he's a material scientist. Climate change denial is full of PhDs who think that their knowledge of a completely unrelated field qualifies them to comment.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Sanguine posted:

Just wow. The only way we can hire people on the other side of town is to hire other people. From another country.

This is truly a work of art. :golfclap:

The solution is clear. Implement more public housing in Vaucluse and Mosman. Sure, all the captains of industry would have to share with some of us regular plebs, but on the other hand, their staffing problems disappear overnight. Seems like a fair trade to me.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

ewe2 posted:

You know how there was rumour that the federal Liberal Party want to make businesses party members and to give them a vote? Well, it would seem they're trying it out in Sydney. You see, they hate Clover so much they want to give businesses the vote. No, that's incorrect. Two votes

And not just give them the vote, but make it compulsory for them to vote.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

webmeister posted:

This is like one of those A Current Affair parodies, except its 100% real :wtc:

First thing I thought when I saw it - "Lebanese builders killing our fat kids, and the heroic doctor who'll save them"

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's the Courier Mail thing I wanted.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Lid posted:

Counterpoint from an actual MP

"'Joe has been standing up for low income workers; and middle income workers, he wholly supports,' he said."

They haven't quite got it through their heads that you can't just say any old poo poo you like when you're in government and actually doing things that are completely in contradiction to what you're saying.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

ewe2 posted:

The weird thing is, I've never heard of this Ellen Whinnett before now and somehow she's National Politics Editor for the Herald Sun. Maybe they only let the editor out when Bolt is having a sulk?

I think "Editor" these days is like "Vice President" in US corporations. Or "Engineer" in IT businesses (drat - I went there).

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Murodese posted:

I think it's primarily just the attitude of infantry. Every infantryman I've met (and I've met a fair few) have been genuinely loving terrible people. The others (signals, commandos, SAS) all tend to be a lot more normal and not shitheads, possibly because being a fuckwit would exclude them from those roles.

This.

A good friend of mine's dad is an retired SAS senior officer. Chill, thoughtful and sharp as a tack. Apparently it's far more common to fail out of special forces selection on psychological grounds rather than physical aptitude.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

ewe2 posted:

The Oz claims disastrous polling in Victoria:

It seems much worse than the Galaxy poll (52-48) because it was taken over two months, but clearly a bunch of someones are unhappy with the leadership and wants a scare campaign to get some action. In both polls Napthine still leads Andrews as preferred Premier, but almost everyone is discounting that.

As they probably should. Preferred PM/Premier isn't particularly predictive of voting intention.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

HookShot posted:

Weird, I never noticed this in Queenstown at all. Then again I think drivers in Calgary are loving insane compared to drivers anywhere else in Canada.

Lol - I was in Queenstown the weekend that they changed the laws on how to drive on roundabouts. It was... challenging.

[edit: also, bus drivers driving up the hill to the Remarkables on 2 wheels... outstanding

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

xPanda posted:

I'm dearly looking forward to seeing him on 7:30 doing his trademark "punch me here" smile while refusing to admit the contradictory nature of what he's talking about.

He'll be interviewed by Uhlmann. "Mr Pyne, can you explain why your policies are so good for Australia".

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

HookShot posted:

Hahah what did they change the roundabout laws to?

I had to look it up and it wasn't roundabouts, it was worse - general give way rules..
Used to be that if you were pulling out from the terminating road of a T-junction and someone wanted to turn right across you from the main road, they had to give way to you - arse about to the entire rest of the world. They've changed it to how everyone else on the planet does it, which was fine for me as an Australian travelling there, and very confusing for locals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azlGcWQLFCY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Systematic posted:

I find it humorous that they label the ALP as red... Should be purple, half red and blue.

The worker's flag is palest pink
It's not as red as you might think

• Locked thread