Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

This is going to be the same-sex marriage legislation that the LNP and Labor will conscious vote on, isn't it? It's going to be worded in a way to remove the governments authority over marriage, and be a nightmare to implement. The people who would typically vote for same-sex marriage will vote against it due to its terrible drafting, and will keep gay marriage off the table for another 3-6 years.
Go ahead and prove me wrong government :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Captain Pissweak posted:

I keep telling you people about Howard years history education.

It bad.

Howard taught us that WWI/ANZAC remembrances are rallies where we go and cheer our soldiers who fought for our freedoms; it's like Australia Day for soldiers. With that in mind, you can see how that picture would make total sense to young Wyatt.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cleretic posted:

The worse one to me is still Eureka, though. I didn't know it was a failure until last year, when explaining the name of the Australian mech from Pacific Rim to an American friend of mine. Guillermo del Toro indirectly taught me more Australian history than my actual Australian history course.

The Eureka Stockade is our Alamo.
In true Australian spirit the stockade was built half-arsedly with over turned materials/junk. They were too dumb to keep things organised so the stockade was made to act as a giant line in the sand so that the rebels didn't accidentally wonder off like lemmings :australia:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cartoon posted:

Telstra has now started advertising about the amazing NBN deals they can provide. That's got to be transgressing fair advertising guidelines. Which loving National Broadband Network is Telstra going to connect you to? The ads being pushed here in Kempsey makes it 100% :ironicat:

Telstra's copper supports DSL 2+, which is both national and broadband (by the classic definition of the term). I don't see any issues with advertising it as a National Broadband Network; it is merely a statement of fact.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It's Ian Macfarlane

He only cares about patents that allow recycling toxic sludge into chicken nuggets for maximum profit. His whole world revolves around making money for businesses and skirting around regulations. Science may as well be patents to him.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

I think the gist was that someone who has completed a science degree should have some vague understanding of the scientific method and peer review for example.

You certainly have a high opinion of scientists that does not reflect reality. Science and Philosophy of Science are two different things, and most of the former have not been educated in the latter. The "Science, gently caress yeah"/"Science, it works" kind of people treat some naive notion of 'The Scientific Method' as dogma.

Amethyst posted:

That guy's got a hosed up voice.

Drinking toxic sludge will do that to you.

Cartoon posted:

Is this an irony post?

I'm the Official Telstra Rep for the Something Awful forums. My records tell me that your residence falls outside of our copper network's coverage area for an NBN grade connection. You'll have to wait until the NBNCo NBN is built. Apologies for the confusion the marketing may have caused you.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Governments do not create jobs. So privatising medicare processing and sacking everyone means that thousands of new jobs will be created, jobs for Australia.

*farts*

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Splode posted:

pretty sure using invasive data collection for your own ends is bad, and a better policy would be "We'll push for legislation to ban woolies and coles collecting all this data because it's bad for society to have huge corporations manipulating their customers into doing things they otherwise wouldn't!"

Without going deep into their data collection policies, I always wondered how far supermarket data collection goes. I know that loyalty stuff gets taken, but I always wondered if there was anything stopping them from collecting every transaction. There's plenty of value in (pseudo-)anonymous transaction records. Knowing how people can be easily psychologically manipulated, its odd that the government maintains a pretty laissez-faire attitude towards data collection. If the government collected and used everything they could about a person in the way a retailer does, we'd be up in arms about it.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Murodese posted:

My PhD is in data mining and I absolutely agree with this statement, even though it'd mean I'd have to find a new job. The amount of poo poo that can be found out about you from what you eat, the TV shows you watch and your browsing history is hilariously terrifying.

Is that based on a comp sci. undergrad, or something else? I could imagine an undergrad data mining degree being an interesting combination of compsci/science/math/economics and social science courses.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Top and centre:
Our biggest competitor sucks and its their own fault!

loving shameful journalism

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

that's a young liberal goku. He is powering up to go full on super-saiyan (racist).
:goku:

Holy poo poo, install one in my house. Also I want an auto deep fryer that will cook chips and other hot foods.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 11, 2014

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

KingEup posted:

Oh my, that almost sounds like taking a bribe.

Your honour, this couldn't possibly be a bribe. You see, the money didn't come in a sack with dollar signs on it.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Peter Phelps just took a sledge at people whose jobs are dependent on the taxpayer and government fiat.

'Not real jobs' is the best liberal talking point. All these people not doing work, not getting paid, and would be really upset if they lost their not jobs.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Murodese posted:

Is that legal?

When your a job creator, these sort of issues tend to get glossed over.

Bububut I'm a job creator, I'd prefer a big bosomed blonde. And if one applies and is successful, that means there's one more job created in Australia. Win-Win rite?

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 16, 2014

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Where would that leave private schools who charge low fees?

Do they cater to a need that couldn't be satisfied by a public school? If you want something extra from a school, wouldn't it stand to reason that you should be paying more for it? If its just for the religious instruction, couldn't you just run a paid 'sunday school' instead?

Otherwise a low fee private school is just the same old GOVERNMENT WASTE argument used to privatise prisons, telstra, the post office, JSA's and Medicare Stores. If they're doing the same for less, someone is getting a raw deal out of it, and you can bet its not going to be the school administrators.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ler posted:

Stay classy News Corp

But there's an even bigger Australian flag being flown over the other flags :psyduck:

webmeister posted:

"I don't know what the legal position is but frankly the only flag that should be flying is the Australian national flag," Mr Abbott said.

The police have been notified and an infringement will be written up.

Lid posted:

DON’T migrate to Australia unless you want to join “Team Australia” Tony Abbott has declared, ahead of his meetings with Muslim leaders this week.

What the gently caress is wrong with this guy?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Lid posted:

Australian.

Privatise the assets because that way it will get rid of the unions.

Australian.

Because the last time we put a bunch of unqualified apprentices near electricity, it worked out really well!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Lid posted:

"Why should they be exempted from the Medicare co-payment?" he told Fairfax Radio on Wednesday.

Because they are the only people who vote for you :cripes:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The LNP have become too comfortable taking donations from businesses to realise that they don't actually have a vote. Since businesses have been so helpful in providing political donations I guess its not surprising that the NSW LNP wants businesses in the CBD to get a vote.

Surely the CBD business voting block doesn't give a poo poo about pensioners paying co-payments, right?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Who will be the first to operate a rental service for virtual offices in the CBD, so that 'businesses' can apply to get a vote? Look we run important operations out of our 1mm x 1mm office space, we ought to get a say as to who should run the council...

Surely this plan is unconstitutional on a fundamental level, even if someone is voting on behalf of a business. Someone, somewhere is making the decision as to which party the business is voting for, and as a result is able to vote twice.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-20/mortgage-broker-malcolm-royce-jones-submissions/5683362

quote:

A mortgage broker used new clients' money to help existing clients who were struggling to make repayments after the Global Financial Crisis (GFC) hit, an Adelaide court has been told. Malcolm Royce Jones, 52, has admitted to attempted deception and faking a signature on a $170,000 mortgage document. He is to be sentenced next month, but prosecutor Peter Longson said more charges were expected. Mr Longson said Jones took part in more than week of police interviews, in which he admitted a range of offences. Defence lawyer Andrew Moffa described Jones as a "hardworking, Christian father of three" who just wanted to keep all his clients happy.

When some investors were not meeting their mortgage payments on properties, Mr Moffa said Jones used money from new investors to make those payments, essentially giving some of his clients a "payments holiday". He said in the matter being prosecuted, Jones secured a first mortgage in the name of someone who had no idea about the arrangement and falsified their signature. "He has been, in a sense, a really good guy all his life, he has wanted to please people and do the right thing," he said. "[He was] not a 'yes' man, but probably heading towards that category." A lot of the borrowers were not paying their mortgage payments to the lenders, so [Jones] robbed Peter to pay Paul.

Mr Moffa said Jones worked for a major bank for 20 years before joining Eastern Equity in 1998. He said Jones got on well with his clients, but the GFC took a toll and some property investors stopped servicing their loans. "A lot of the borrowers were not paying their mortgage payments to the lenders, so [Jones] robbed Peter to pay Paul," he told the court. Mr Moffa said Jones kept hoping the market would improve but "rather than being a short-term blip ... it got worse and worse". "Rather than try to be a friend to everybody ... he should have stood back and let the GFC cause its havoc to both sets of clients." He said the benefit to Jones from his actions had been getting his broking fees for the work done.

But the housing market can only go up, up, up. We have seasoned professionals from the banking/investment sector eating up the rhetoric.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Haters Objector posted:

Wine snobs are the worst snobs, especially considering that science has demonstrated that wine experts are simply making poo poo up

The only opinion that Auspol will all agree on.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Murodese posted:

It's apparently also stirred up journalists, because the ones at the Oz are getting paid significantly more than the ones at papers that are actually making money.

Gotta spend money to lose money.

Its not surprising that Rupes is footing a higher operating budget for his personal favourite masthead. Too bad that keeping up appearances for a big shot billionaire such as himself will turn him into just another 'temporarily embarrassed millionaire'. It sucks that he will probably die before his dead tree empire crumble to dust.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

bububut LNP has a MANDATE from the voters. Why does Labor get to run the state, this is obviously unfair.
We should just change the electoral system to state that LNP has a mandate to rule, and that after every election we top up the votes to give LNP a ruling majority.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Stop the boats
New new taxes
Repeal the Carbon Tax (Half Marks)
No cuts to health, education, ABC
Building the roads of the 21st Century (public transport... lol)
End LABOR WASTE

1.5 out of 6 aint bad?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Soag posted:

hey someone give me the lowdown on andrew robb is he one of the "good" coalition members or one of the ones who deserves to be egged

Look deep down into your heart; what is it telling you? Do you really believe in the myth of the 'good Liberal'?

Sanguine posted:

When the margin of error is several percent, why bother discussing 0.5% swings? It's as useful as reading tea leaves or guessing the footy score using TV static. Is there some greater plan here?

Because journalists are notoriously bad at reporting anything remotely scientific in nature. Statistics may as well be black magic to a journalist, they aren't going to understand the nuance of something like 0.5 +/- 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Big Willy Style posted:

Brisbane goons, please don't eat at Da Burger in New Farm:

Looks like a pricier and stingy Grilld, don't think it'll be much of a loss to anyone.

• Locked thread