Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Lloyd Boner posted:

The problem isn't that he's training STRIKING???, the problem is that he's training striking against a 6'5" Dutch kick boxer who would not strike in any way similar to a 5'10" wrestler.

That's stupid. What's he supposed to do, spar with Tim Kennedy every single time? Overeem is the most experienced striker there by an absurd margin and there's a hell of a lot he has to teach a guy like Jones. On top of which if you want to get a guy used to the threat of being overpowered in the clinch without simply relying on being tall as a get out of jail free card, that's your guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
further, the insane irony of he's just too danged tall! applied to someone pretend fighting jon jones

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Instead of weighing fighters closer to fight night do the opposite. Weigh them at the various media events. These weighings wouldn't be official but the UFC could opt to pull a fighter from a card in advance if they are outside of a predetermined "healthy range".

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Man, 2014 UFC has kinda sucked.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Triticum Guzzler posted:

That's stupid. What's he supposed to do, spar with Tim Kennedy every single time? Overeem is the most experienced striker there by an absurd margin and there's a hell of a lot he has to teach a guy like Jones. On top of which if you want to get a guy used to the threat of being overpowered in the clinch without simply relying on being tall as a get out of jail free card, that's your guy.

Oh I'm pretty sure Greg Jackson knows what he's doing compared to myself or Dana White, just saying what Dana's argument actually was.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Dreams and matchups were more consistently dashed throughout 2012, but 2014 sucks more in that it follows probably the single greatest year in the promotion's history and also when plans failed in 2014, they failed spectacularly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Except for the awesome parts

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
I was watching the 177 weigh-ins and had no idea Barao had been replaced so when it got to the main event and this guy I never saw before walked out to get weighed I unironically thought it was one of those fan giveaways the UFC sometimes does and they had let some guy off the street pretend he was weighing in for the title fight and only realized my mistake when Rogan asked TJ about the change, but it really wasn't much of a mistake because they are actually letting a nobody fight for the title.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

manyak posted:

All i want is for it to count as a loss. if you are gonna rack up wins by just barely making weight by the skin of your teeth and coming into a fight twice as big as the other guy, it should count as a loss if you dont make weight. If you want it to be part of the sport then make it one, the fight starts the day of the weigh ins, the first part of the fight is to make weight, otherwise you get a loss on your record. Barao has lost to TJ dillashaw twice now
Agreed, this is definitely the best way because why not

mewse
May 2, 2006

I was watching the 177 weigh-ins and had no idea Barao had been replaced so when it got to the main event and this guy I never saw before walked out to get weighed I unironically thought it was one of those fan giveaways the UFC sometimes does and they had let some guy off the street pretend he was weighing in for the title fight and only realized my mistake when Rogan asked TJ about the change, but it really wasn't much of a mistake because they are actually letting a nobody fight for the title.

To be fair, Joe Soto has had an impressive win streak in *looks at wikipedia* Tachi Palace Fights. Those events took place in beautiful *looks at wikipedia* Lemoore, California, United States

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Greg Jackson posted:

To be fair, Joe Soto has had an impressive win streak in *looks at wikipedia* Tachi Palace Fights. Those events took place in beautiful *looks at wikipedia* Lemoore, California, United States

Joe Soto is FOR REAL Mike!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

idk that one year (2011 or 2012) where everyone got injured was really awful and at the very least we got to see Ronda KO some girls and Weidman/Machida and Barão/Dillashaw and Hendricks/Lawler and Lawler/Brown.

I think we might notice the injuries a lot more this year because there's twice as many cards and the good fights are spread throughout a sea of poo poo, but overall it hasn't been too bad this year. Jones and Cain and Hendricks being sidelined for so long sucks, but we're gonna see pretty much everyone notable this year fight and that's pretty cool.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

And jbj vs Cormier

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

idk that one year (2011 or 2012) where everyone got injured was really awful and at the very least we got to see Ronda KO some girls and Weidman/Machida and Barão/Dillashaw and Hendricks/Lawler and Lawler/Brown.

I think we might notice the injuries a lot more this year because there's twice as many cards and the good fights are spread throughout a sea of poo poo, but overall it hasn't been too bad this year. Jones and Cain and Hendricks being sidelined for so long sucks, but we're gonna see pretty much everyone notable this year fight and that's pretty cool.

Nah this year has been worse than 2012. At least in 2012 there were 2 welterweight title matches*, 2 light heavyweight title matches, 2 heavyweight title matches, 2 lightweight title matches etc. unlike this year where there will only have been 1 of each. Technically Anderson only defended the belt once in 2012 but he fought twice. This year there have been 0 Anderson fights or Nick Diaz fights.

So yeah, 2014 sucks. I mean this conversation could have been ended at "Joe Soto is fighting for the belt" but I think this year is going to go down as being way worse.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I'm still really confused why Jorgenson isn't fighting for the belt. They could have kept 9 fights on the card and had a title fight that was only half a joke.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

vainman posted:

I'm still really confused why Jorgenson isn't fighting for the belt. They could have kept 9 fights on the card and had a title fight that was only half a joke.

well, the Cejudo fight was at flyweight for starters.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Jorgenson has had a pretty stupidly tough schedule despite being in shallower divisions. Getting tossed into a title shot would continue the trend of Sean Shelby only giving him tough fights but a) it's not his division and b) it's probably easier to market the guy on the winning streak. Not that you're doing much marketing a day out.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I'd be shocked if their marketing push wasn't "forgetting" to take Barao off of the poster

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

-Atom- posted:

well, the Cejudo fight was at flyweight for starters.

...and? UFC was going to offer Chael Sonnen a fight against Jones when he wasn't even in camp, let alone had any wins at 205 in UFC. At least Jorgensen has fought in the weight class before and has faired decently against the top of the division. His BW record is 3-3 in UFC and with the WEC fights I think it's 10-6. Not great by any means but as a way to save the card on 1 day's notice that's fine.

I'm assuming UFC chose Soto because unless he gets knocked out in 10 seconds they can use this to market him later on. As vainman said, with Jorgensen the main event becomes less of a joke and you keep 9 fights instead of 8. Maybe they're using the scrapped 9th fight to help cover the cost on this lovely live gate, I dunno.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LobsterMobster posted:

Hakarl gives him his grappling skillz and there's no diet version of that (At least not since Alex Otsuka closed his shop)

Man, Pride-era Otsuka reference from downtown.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Bubba Smith posted:

...and? UFC was going to offer Chael Sonnen a fight against Jones when he wasn't even in camp, let alone had any wins at 205 in UFC. At least Jorgensen has fought in the weight class before and has faired decently against the top of the division. His BW record is 3-3 in UFC and with the WEC fights I think it's 10-6. Not great by any means but as a way to save the card on 1 day's notice that's fine.

I'm assuming UFC chose Soto because unless he gets knocked out in 10 seconds they can use this to market him later on. As vainman said, with Jorgensen the main event becomes less of a joke and you keep 9 fights instead of 8. Maybe they're using the scrapped 9th fight to help cover the cost on this lovely live gate, I dunno.

I guess trying to use logic in tonight's main event last second scramble is time better spent elsewhere. Would Scotty getting the nod really jazz people up that much more? Maybe a little bit, but it's hardly noteworthy at the end of the day.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 30, 2014

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Man, I like Scotty, but he sure as gently caress isn't Chael Sonnen. Unless you watched the WEC you don't know who he is, and the logic that a flyweight with a 3-5 record is a more credible challenger than a random newcomer is.....spotty.....at best.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Soto is the Tachi Palace Fights champion. It's practically a superfight.

Ok maybe not but it's still better than putting Jorgensen in there, this at least has a novelty factor to it.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

attackmole posted:

Unless you watched the WEC you don't know who he is

He even stopped being spotty since wec folded

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
how long after the PPV is shown does it show up on Fight Pass?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Dana going nuts and insulting everyone that says the event should be free is not only entertaining but also probably a bad idea

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

ICHIBAHN posted:

how long after the PPV is shown does it show up on Fight Pass?

2 or 3 months.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I missed the Rogan/Barao interview and now I'm sad.

Some people were asking about cutting 20 lbs to hit 135. During the Ronda/Meisha season of TUF, Ronda cut from 152 to 135 in a day after one of her fighters missed weight. She also won the coaches challenge in the middle of the cut.

So Ronda has faster fight turnaround and can cut weight better than Barao.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toRCkxXxfAw

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 31, 2014

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Barao probably cuts those 22 pounds (btw 10 kilos is a nice round number, it's most likely more) after starving himself for awhile. This is in no way a goblin endorsement, just a statement.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I think women have more fat than men and fat had more water than muscle so cutting weight should be easier for women?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

niethan posted:

I think women have more fat than men and fat had more water than muscle so cutting weight should be easier for women?

In general it's harder for women to cut weight, partially because body fat contains no water. Ronda is a goddamned mutant.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I love her dearly

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Women got tits so it's a harder weight cut IMO

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

DekeThornton posted:

In general it's harder for women to cut weight, partially because body fat contains no water. Ronda is a goddamned mutant.

If I'm reading this right women have higher body water percentage?

http://triabilitycoach.com/2012/03/01/a-reference-chart-for-your-body-fat-and-water-percentages/

Tbh at the level these people are at statistics from the general population aren't really that applicable and you gotta go individual.

I don't think I was reading that right

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
having seen the main event, was the rest of the PPV worth watching?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

niethan posted:

http://triabilitycoach.com/2012/03/01/a-reference-chart-for-your-body-fat-and-water-percentages/

Tbh at the level these people are at statistics from the general population aren't really that applicable and you gotta go individual.

The way I read that men have less body fat and a higher body water percentage than women.

This was the first article I could find about weight cutting for women.

http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2012/08/a-womans-guide-to-cutting-weight-for.html

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

having seen the main event, was the rest of the PPV worth watching?

It was a surprisingly good, fun card with only one bad fight on the prelims.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gracias

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

niethan posted:

Women have lower total body water % (approx. 50% vs male 60%) because they have higher fat content which has low water content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

UFC September: Ashy to Ashy, Dustin to Dustin

• Locked thread