Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I don't mind putting in a few OT hours here and there, but at a former employer you were looked on as a slacker and not pulling your weight if you only put in 40/week. At least 50 (usually unpaid OT except for a few weeks here and there where the budget stars aligned) hours were expected and people were burning out since the extra hours were expected on weekends as well as during the week. I had a mandatory meeting scheduled for a Sunday once, conflicting with my final wedding dress fitting. There was a lot of huffing and puffing when I told them where they could shove that meeting, and the more gnashing of teeth when I dared to take time off to go get married. We still haven't done a honeymoon because if I'd taken off more time for that I probably would've come back to no job.

Now I'm a contractor and I get paid time and a half for any OT worked so I get booted out the door as soon as I hit 40 :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Bloody Queef posted:

If they're independent contractors, hopefully they're getting paid 30-100% more than a W2 employee to make up for no benefits. If not, they're idiots.

I get zero paid time off (well I did weasel into 6 paid gov't holidays, but I get no personal time for sick days or vacation) but I make about $5k more annually than I did salaried and since I have no benefits I get to keep most of it. I now take home over $1000 more per month despite only having a $5000 annual pay increase.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Bloody Queef posted:

Are you a 1099?
Because if you are don't forget about SE taxes. That would easily eat that extra 5k a year and then some.

I work for a contracting company so on taxes it's pretty much just like a regular salaried job. I didn't fill out a 1099.

• Locked thread