Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

One thing I'm finding as a result of daily practice that I didn't expect is how much more patience I have to keep working on a piece. When I started, I'd be burnt out after half hour gesture & half hour study-pic, now I can happily spend a few hours on one pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Still trying to do a painting a week while sketching every night. This one is a bit late since I found out my wife is having a girl and I couldn't sit still long enough to finish it.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 7, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
It came that quickly? :haw: Congratulations!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

petrol blue posted:

Wow. That is so drat awesome! Is it for a tattoo?

Eventually, yes! I get the first part (The upper left dragon fight) done on Saturday.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I kinda feel sorry for the tat artist - I'd be scared shitless trying to ink something that awesome! Can we get pics when it's done?

e: Quick question for the more experienced painters - how much sketching do you do before you start blocking in? I've been pretty much drawing the whole thing, then painting over, but I get the feeling I'm overdoing it and just making things take way longer than they need to.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 7, 2014

meataidstheft
Jul 31, 2005

Yous a lady Skwisgaar!

effzedsix posted:

I was asked to do a Tshirt for my drinking club's campout.

I made a few thumbnails, practiced the layout, tweaked some things in the end, and think I made it as best I could, with my current ability. I really need to focus on not drawing so flat. and thanks for the notes on my last thing it really helped.

Hey uh dude I think you missed a couple letters in "annual" unless that was intentional, carry on.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

I hate art. If you'd like to view a little spinaround of that, and you don't particularly like your eyes, check out the video below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqC4w-wC-yE

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I vectorized Conan O'Brien with googly eyes from when he had Seth Green on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baFBseCxWF0

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

I think I'm done with this.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
At the risk of sounding like the poor artist who blames his tools, the paper I used for this was really toothy. I normally prefer a plate finish, but I figure I should practice on paper with tooth as well. If anyone has any advice for pencil-sketching on something with a rough texture, I could use it!

I love the use of color here! But I'd define the rib cage a little better. I don't really see the mass of the chest in this pic. Her torso looks more like a tube than a torso.

petrol blue posted:

One thing I'm finding as a result of daily practice that I didn't expect is how much more patience I have to keep working on a piece. When I started, I'd be burnt out after half hour gesture & half hour study-pic, now I can happily spend a few hours on one pic.
I like this one too! I'd desaturate the tongue slightly. My eye keeps feeling drawn to it because its chroma just jumps out. It looks just a tiny bit incongruous with the color scheme of the rest of the painting.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 8, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Speed painting of a marker sketch I posted last month.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I inked these in about an hour, both as an exercise but also to use them somewhere.

I have a few letters that I will finish tommorow, Greek ones as you can see.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
This week's life drawing stuff. I haven't had time to do anything else...

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

This is really cool, how did you make it?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Communist Toast posted:

This is really cool, how did you make it?

Thank you. It's sand, resin, colored ink, dry pigment, and piped glass paint.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

It's the mythical Blood Red Head on Fire!

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

petrol blue posted:

I kinda feel sorry for the tat artist - I'd be scared shitless trying to ink something that awesome! Can we get pics when it's done?

e: Quick question for the more experienced painters - how much sketching do you do before you start blocking in? I've been pretty much drawing the whole thing, then painting over, but I get the feeling I'm overdoing it and just making things take way longer than they need to.

I'm far from an experienced painter, still trying to figure it all out. But I usually keep things pretty loose and sketchy. Usually spend about 15-20min blocking things out enough that I get a general idea of how I want things to look.

Here is my next thing. I'm a 3d environment artist at my job, so I'm doing this as a concept piece before I take it all the way to 3d. Just for practice and fun. Haven't done any personal 3d art for a while.

Oh, and I always start painting dark to light. Sorry it's a bit hard to see.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

petrol blue posted:

Cross post from the tattoo thread- Only the first part is done, will take a few sessions to get all the rest of it. I think up next will be the ogre fight on my back shoulder, then sometime in the winter I'll start working my way down the arm.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 10, 2014

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Sick, that's looking loving awesome, McKilligan!

It's the Michiganite Singing Frog

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 10, 2014

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
The artwork here is so amazing. I've downloaded so much of it as drawing references and guides it frightens me. Here's one of my latest. I decided to draw an eye. Then I decided it should be an octopus kind of eye, with an amphibian eye ring and reptilian scales. I'm still working out the shading, but I'm pleased with where it's going.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Piss Kingpin posted:

It's the mythical Blood Red Head on Fire!

No one knows who sent it, or what it first was called.
No one knows what made it, or when it was first mauled.
No one understands why it burns, but never dies...
One thing is for sure though, that burning bastard flies!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

McKilligan posted:

Cross post from the tattoo thread- Only the first part is done, will take a few sessions to get all the rest of it. I think up next will be the ogre fight on my back shoulder, then sometime in the winter I'll start working my way down the arm.

I really hope that the tattoo doesn't get saggy when your older because that turned out to be a drat fine tattoo.

rubbe
Jul 19, 2008

Did this yesterday

I only use devianart though to upload stuff on.
Is there any better sites? i tried a few in the past but they where even worse.

http://rubbe.deviantart.com

rubbe fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 10, 2014

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

imgur.com seems alright

Edit: Just finished this #swag

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 10, 2014

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Drew this for my friends Birthday.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

:nws:

Figure drawing sessions pages in ballpoint pen.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I painted a chocobo. I'll probably paint another cool FF mascot thing next week too.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008

eggyolk posted:

Holy poo poo, this is so good.

beats
Oct 21, 2010

eggyolk posted:

Wow - beautiful stuff. In a ballpoint pen no less...not a lot of room for error there! :golfclap: Out of interest what size were you working at? A4?

To contribute...here's a quickish thing I did. Just saw a cool picture online and figured I'd try and paint it:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

eggyolk posted:

I love the hatching!!!!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Views from Cougar Rock and Paradise on Mt. Rainier today.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Maybe he's part of some urban legend somewhere?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Lumpy posted:

Maybe he's part of some urban legend somewhere?

Its a Chupacabra.

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011
Antoninus Pius thing.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Crappy month leads to crappy art :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I've been drawing things for other people for ten hours a day every day for so long that I forgot how to draw my own things

• Locked thread