Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

A good friend of mine was one of the prosecutors on the butt-fingering case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Mr. Nice! posted:

How the gently caress did they get off with basically nothing for fingering three privates and a captain?

Just like any case in the civilian world, you're stuck with the evidence you have. The case was probably (just spitballing here) strongest against Nunez. The sentence is solely in the hands of the panel, and I wasn't there for the trials so I can't say what was presented at sentencing in his case. All I can do is apply my experience in my own cases which is that panels and judges both are sympathetic to weepy unsworn statements about how sorry you are, and testimony from family members about how they will be out on the streets without the paycheck.

Newitt was acquitted, which means he was probably offered a guilty plea since the evidence was weak (we generally don't take pleas on cases we know we can win), but he chose to roll the dice and won. Cornell took a guilty plea to 128 and 93 which carries a max sentence together of a year and a half. Again I am not privy to the ins-and-outs of the evidence and the wheelings and dealings but if the Government accepted a plea of that nature we probably didn't have a very strong case against him either.

It's just kinda the nature of American justice in general. This sort of thing is extremely common in the civilian world too. It's just not national news every time it happens. I'm of the honest opinion that the military is no more or less agressive in pursuing these types of cases than comparable civilian jurisdictions (e.g. college campuses). That doesn't mean we always do the right thing or that we can't do better, just that the way we get crucified in the court of public opinion is not necessarily justifiable.

I don't post here very often but just happened upon the new iteration of the thread for the month as I am preparing for trial next week on a drug distro case. A nice break from the dozen or so 120 cases I am carrying right now. Assessments of winnability on those range from "yeah fuckin right" to "well maybe".

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 2, 2014

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Pesticide20 posted:

I just had a SSG get mad at me for my hair being too long. It's been about a month and a half since my last haircut. Do I push my luck and keep growing it out in the hopes of making Martello proud or do I cave and get it cut?

A few weeks ago I was giving a briefing to a Brigade Commander and the CSM was loudly grumbling about my hair... one of the Battalion Commanders at the table turned to him and said "leave the lawyer alone he can leave and get a real job any time he wants to". Which, while somewhat misinformed, still made me feel quite :smugdog:

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Cole posted:

Is this even legal lmao

[NOT LEGAL ADVICE JUST OBSERVATION]

He's not ordering you to break any laws or infringing on your constitutional rights, so it's a "lawful order" in that sense; however there's no real military nexus to requiring someone to a.)join facebook if they're not already a member, b.) friend the unit page or c.) "like" the posts there, so that'd be the approach I'd take if I were a TDS attorney that saw an Article 15 for something of this nature... I'd advise my client to turn it down most likely.

That being said you can save yourself a lot of hassle if you make a throwaway account as has been suggested. Like a lot of "orders", there's no real teeth to it should someone decide to buck the system, but it's never really worth the effort to be "that guy".

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 13, 2014

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140812/NEWS/308120071/Attorney-Manning-not-receiving-hormone-therapy?sf29725596=1

Interesting. I think this is the first time the Army has dealt with this inside the USDB. I wonder what happens when the treatment is complete? Do they move him to the women's unit?

I tried a case against David Coombs at Fort Hood a couple months ago. He's the epitome of the smiling glad-handing public relations type of lawyer. I got a conviction anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

iKon posted:

I hit O-3 back when it was 36 months, and I bet some of those utter loving retards are O-4s now. Good luck with that, Army.

I commissioned as a 1LT and became a CPT 16 months later. They don't put me in charge of other people's lives though. The general intelligence of most of my fellow CPTs in other branches is astoundingly low to me. You encounter the rare guy who has his poo poo together and has read a book once or twice, but nearly every one else is just the loving bottom of the barrel. It's baffling to me that the only thing you need to become an officer is a pulse and a college degree. And the degree can be from University of Phoenix.

One thing I have found is that many officers tend to excel at being what I call "surface level intelligent". Based on limited interactions with them, you may have the general impression that they are smarter than average, reliable, etc, because they have already mastered the Army facade. But engaging them in in-depth discussion of any topic that is not reactionary conservatism or relying on them for anything more than the most mundane of tasks is asking to be disappointed.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 21, 2014

• Locked thread