Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Welcome to the 2014/15 thread for Leagues 1 and 2 aka Divisions 2 and 3 aka Divisions 3 and 4. This season there aren't as many Big Names in the ranks, the likes of Leeds, Norwich and Wolves have become annoyingly competent, but there's still plenty on offer.

Since there wasn't a Conference thread last season AFAIK any lost little refugees can pop in here too. It's broken free of the shackles of Skrillex and is now the Vanarama Conference, which is excellent.

Barnsley
The big and ugly Yorkshire buggers finally got relegated after years of struggle, and they'll be one of three teams looking to get straight back up. Doesn't look too great for them but I don't care as long as they get some use out of the superbly named Reuben Noble-Lazarus.
Official HJB In Association With Sky Bet™ Rating: (out of five)

Bradford
Had an excellent run to the final of the League Cup a couple of seasons ago, the same season they got promoted, but didn't do much of anything last time out. Look out for talented journeyman winger Mark Yeates tearing things up. Probably.
Official HJB In Association With Sky Bet™ Rating:

Bristol City
Coming off a rather disappointing campaign, they'll be looking to push for promotion this time around. They have a solid squad, capped off by the mighty tasty Sam Baldock. Also now officially the only team from Bristol in league football, which I'm sure they're quite happy about.

Chesterfield
How did they get here, who knows. They had vidiprinter favourite Jack Lester in their ranks for years, and now they don't. Might struggle.

Colchester
Perennial cannon fodder, always seem to find themselves in constant danger until the 45th game when they end up just above the drop zone and just below Oldham. Will be relying on Freddie Sears of all people this season, if he stays fit he'll bag 15-odd goals (hopefully), if not it might be one season too many for them.

Coventry
Still in a state of limbo, and still making a mockery of the phrase "sent to Coventry". Will probably keep winning 5-3. Look out for new acquisition Marcus Tudgay, no seriously look out for him, he's not been seen for years.

Crawley
The moneymen that everyone hates. They don't even have Matt Tubbs or the good Torres anymore. What's the point of them really? Will still prove to be an annoyance.

Crewe
Gone are the days of Dario Gradi, but the academy's still doing alright, and they're hanging on in there. They'll need a little bit more luck though or they could struggle big time.

Doncaster
Another relegated Yorkshire team looking to return to the Championship. Will forever be associated with One Direction, so feel free to enjoy any and all failures. Looking to get into the playoffs and praying for an X-Factor style knockout system.

Fleetwood
Yeah, I don't know either. Had dreams of the big time, and with that albatross off their back they can now be let off the chain, and the skies the limit. Green manalishi.

Gillingham
Struggled a bit but have made a decent fist of things recently. Still have a Hessenthaler on their books, so I approve. May have to continue relying on Cody McDonald if they want to survive.

Leyton Orient
Had an immense start to last season but couldn't quite keep it going all the way. Always seem to be in the news for one reason or another. Will be expecting another big season.

Milton Keynes Dons
Don't really exist, gently caress them. Will still push for the playoffs regardless of this hindrance. Have a bad, fake Baldock in their ranks. Boo hiss boo.

Notts County
Were terrible last season, probably still are. Have a player called Balmy which is good for a cheap laugh. Also Alan Smith is still alive. #prayfornotts

Oldham
Not very good, been struggling in recent seasons. Former Manchester United legend Paul Rachubka washed up with them at some point apparently. Will be another trying season for the fans down at SportsDirect.com Park.

Peterborough
Now we're starting to get to the big hitters. Aurally pleasing striker Britt Assombalonga was a revelation and Posh will be hoping for more of the same from him this time out. If he keeps it going a promotion push looks likely. Nevermind he got Tricky Tree'd, um, guess it's up to Conor Washington to defeat the British :911:

Port Vale
An odd little club really, they have the Pope playing for them (very well too I might add), and their biggest claim to fame is still Robbie Williams, even in the year 2014. Should secure a mid-table spot depending on adminny things.

Preston
Big season for the old boys. They've kept hold of Joe Garner for now, and they will expect to push on from last season's efforts.

Rochdale
Nosebleed time once again for Rochdale. Safety will be the priority. Have a player called Done, which is what I am with their write-up.

Scunthorpe
Fan-favourites S'horpe are back in League 1 in their quest to bounce around the divisions like a very bouncy football club. Have a record-breaking manager, which is an important fact. Also, Paddy Madden.

Sheffield United
Probably the biggest of the big boys still around, can't see them messing things up again this time round. Jose Baxter is due a big season and the team should be up to the task. It'll still be funny if they finish seventh again, mind.

Swindon
Might be a more difficult season for them. Will hope that they have finally exorcised Di Canio's ghost. Should still expect a decent mid-table finish.

Walsall
Never seem to accomplish much, they're just always there. I like Bakayoko, solid, well-rounded name. Will still be there for the foreseeable future.

Yeovil
Feet back firmly on the ground after a gap year, should be more of a normal season for the perennial over-achievers. Big season for James Hayter you'd feel.

I'm getting bored of doing all the write-ups so here are the likely lads:

AFC Wimbledon
Accrington Stanley
Burton Albion
Bury
Cambridge
Carlisle
Cheltenham
Dagenham & Redbridge
Exeter
- "Apparently Exeter are tipped to go down this year but I don't really buy it. Imagine we'll have a boring season of not quite getting relegated." - mfcrocker
Hartlepool
Luton
Mansfield
- "if they can keep their players fit might flirt for the play offs had a good pre season which obviously isn't always the best indicator." - The Croc
Morecambe
Newport
Northampton
Oxford United
Plymouth
- "there's literally no reason Plymouth Argyle shouldn't at least make the playoffs this year, so with that in mind I confidently predict we will finish 16th" - IPB
Portsmouth
Shrewsbury
Southend
Stevenage
Tranmere
Wycombe
York
- "Big Nige Worthington has turned York into a solid hard to beat unit. I reckon another assault on the play offs isn't out of the question." - bbab

A strong East Anglian contingent with Cambridge returning to league football, as well as the welcome (for some) return of Luton, on their journey back to the top. You'd still expect the usual likes of Accrington Stanley and Wimbledon (the real one) at the bottom, but at the top, who knows. Our lords and sponsors Sky Bet™ have Luton and Portsmouth as favourites, which baffles me but hey, they know best.

As for the Vanarama Conference, look out for Bristol Rovers and Kidderminster at the top, and Eastleigh and Dover at the bottom. If you find them there, good, I like being right.

HJB fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Also, have some fixtures:

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
the Vanarama commercial on Sky does my head in op, I still don't know what it is

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Please don't Notts Shame in the OP.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Big Nige Worthington has turned York into a solid hard to beat unit. I reckon another assault on the play offs isn't out of the question.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Mansfield if they can keep their players fit might flirt for the play offs had a good pre season which obviously isn't always the best indicator.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

thanks for giving us our best defender you crazy Scab bastards

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

HJB posted:

As for the Vanarama Conference, look out for Bristol Rovers and Kidderminster at the top, and Eastleigh and Dover at the bottom. If you find them there, good, I like being right.

I bloody hope so, we've had a dreadful pre-season, W1 D5 L2 with a game vs Cheltenham today, also I expect Grimsby to do something this year,

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

After pumping osasuna 2-0 with Big Roy in goal I reckon we can 'ave league 1 this year.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

And lo, their prayers were answered as Roy loving Carroll fell from the sky.

Also I'm going to shove those L2 one-liners into my OP so it looks vaguely efforty.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

britishbornandbread posted:

thanks for giving us our best defender you crazy Scab bastards

I'll never understand why Cox didn't rate Mcguire I saw him play for you against both us and Burton Albion after the move and he was a rock.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Hanley is closer to the Britannia than the poo poo hole that is Burslem so gently caress off Robbie is ours.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The mighty Blades will struggle early on I reckon, too many new signings. And it'll all kick off big style when we inevitably re-sign Ched Evans.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
there's literally no reason Plymouth Argyle shouldn't at least make the playoffs this year, so with that in mind I confidently predict we will finish 16th

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I feel great shame at bristol rovers becoming a non-league team. I hope our stay in the van league is very brief. also; gently caress bristol city.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Byolante posted:

Hanley is closer to the Britannia than the poo poo hole that is Burslem so gently caress off Robbie is ours.

my grandad could have played for Vale but fortunately he didn't, because Vale are poo poo

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

It's happening dot gif.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Sheff Unt v Bristol has been a tasty match so far.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

A little round-up of sorts then. My namedrops Pope, McDonald, Tubbs and :siren: Paddy Madden :siren: all scored, with 1Doncaster and Franchise MK setting the early pace in L1, and 1-0 wins for my homeboys Cambridge and Luton in L2.

For the first of my (ir)regular pieces on the

Congrats to Lee Hughes (pictured, right) for scoring in the opening game of the season, Barnet for suddenly becoming good the second Edgar Davids hosed off, and special mention to Fylde who may well turn out to be moneybag cunts like Crawley but who won their first ever game in the Conference North 4-0, so good effort by them.

--

Edit: Here's Cambridge's penalty, because it is dire.

HJB fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 10, 2014

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

HJB posted:

Edit: Here's Cambridge's penalty, because it is dire.

nobody scores past luke mccormick, he has the steely eyes of a killer

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Stevenage have a whole bunch of new players which is good because the old ones sucked. We won on opening day for the first time in 9 seasons, since when we've had two promotions and a relegation.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Bristol City might actually manage it this year, as long as the players don't get a bout of basic football amnesia.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

I am more than ready for an entire season of notts playing like dogshit and grinding out enough bore draws to stay up thanks to heroics from Big Roy

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Apparently Exeter are tipped to go down this year but I don't really buy it. Imagine we'll have a boring season of not quite getting relegated. Also we just had our transfer embargo lifted :dance:

(who am I kidding all I really care about is 6 points off the Argyle, starting Saturday)

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Clough's approach to signing players reminds me of the Warnock glory years - why get 2 or 3 quality ones when you can get 15 mediocre ones instead. We only needed Coady and Brayford ffs.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

http://youtu.be/WN7a--6YVJo?t=36s

Tasty pass that.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Yeah it's going to be a recurring theme of Notts this season, just when we'd finally signed a decent striker we're now paying him for a season-long sickie so we're going to see a lot of this poo poo leading to squandered chances.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

While we sweep the past week under the carpet, since I have a gif going spare let's do another piece on the

Performance of the weekend goes to Grimsby, winning 6-1 away - you can tell Christmas is coming because John-Lewis keeps popping up. The Funny Name Award goes to Welling United goalscorer Harry Beautyman, with Alfreton's Joe Ironside coming a close second ("Ironside bundled in from close range" is a lovely image).

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

http://youtu.be/YcFwdSXXaLg?t=34s

He blates meant that

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Reminds me of one of my favourite ever goals :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1FeUt6dKSA

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Bristol have yet to throw a match away AND in a shocking reversal of last year scored in the last 10 mins, stealing victory. My hopes are rising.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Glad to see Cheltenham doing well as it's where I live right now. Annoyed to be working pretty much every weekend or I'd actually be able to walk to games and get some Real Fan cred.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

The best part about this is Cameron Lancaster's signing being announced on the club's Twitter feed literally as he got off the bus, leading to me using Wikipedia to find out who the gently caress he was roughly one hour before this went in.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

23 league games unbeaten for York now.

That's literally mental.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I feel like I should mention Chorley, who were promoted to the Conference North last season and currently sit atop it, thanks in part to the guidance of Blackburn legends Garry Flitcroft and his assistant Matt Jansen, he of so much wasted potential. He still plays on occasion too.

Elsewhere, there's this:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Reviving the thread with a cracker of a goal:

http://youtu.be/9UiSTkDUTFA?t=1m18s

Alex Gilbey everyone. Foot like a traction engine, that stayed hit, and so on. Also, as is plain to see, my gif skills are massively improving.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Bristol City Top of the table unbeaten. Swindon at number two. God knows whats in the water.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UoMAUilbpE

Two quality strikes in as many games. If you just ignore the fact that both games ended in defeat for Colchester, the latter being their ninth straight loss in cup competitions, then things are looking up!

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejwLO0Mslhg

jimmy ryans goal on here was a heck of a hit and includes some footage of daniel jones flopping about which has made the viral rounds this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

not to be outdone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGDcHw-h1mc

• Locked thread