Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'm not rebounding 200lb 19yr old failed beauty school student rear end even if her cooter cured AIDS.

Holy poo poo is their like an online resource how to become a dependapotomus? He recorded her threating him with falsely beating her when he refused to get married to her.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Your standards are too high for my Navy. I know 5 starving a schoolers who would raw dog that.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
[quote="LingcodKilla" post="""]
Holy poo poo is their like an online resource how to become a dependapotomus? He recorded her threating him with falsely beating her when he refused to get married to her.
[/quote]

Hahaha welcome to the Navy, son. You ain't seen nothin yet.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

TheQuietWilds posted:

Hahaha welcome to the Navy, son. You ain't seen nothin yet.

Thank god I'm just reserve IT. These people are actually young enough to be my kids.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
You're going to Corry Station dude. The place is literally one giant parking lot with nothing to do. The females are often unpopular highschool girls who are getting a shitload of attention from teenage boys fresh out of bootcamp who haven't gotten to jerk off in peace for 2 months. It's a hormone hydrogen bomb and since co-habitation is forbidden all loving has to be done off base making tensions even higher. Basically just sit back and enjoy the poo poo show.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

You're going to Corry Station dude. The place is literally one giant parking lot with nothing to do. The females are often unpopular highschool girls who are getting a shitload of attention from teenage boys fresh out of bootcamp who haven't gotten to jerk off in peace for 2 months. It's a hormone hydrogen bomb and since co-habitation is forbidden all loving has to be done off base making tensions even higher. Basically just sit back and enjoy the poo poo show.

I should go forward with my used RV plan, cover it with plastic and rent it out as a drivable gently caress shack.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

I should go forward with my used RV plan, cover it with plastic and rent it out as a drivable gently caress shack.

Probably already been done. The quality in right off base is basically a permanent emplaced gently caress shack

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

Hypothetically, is it legal for an active duty member of the military to build/make something and then try to sell it to the service, or is that against some sort of contracting rule?

It's legal to an extent. It's called a MILCAP package. Guy I went through OCS with was a prior AT who, through some magic, actually refined the fabrication process of some specific F-18 part (like whatever he did cut the cost of production of that piece of gear almost in half) and the Navy gave him like 5k in cash (yea, that's all).

Most people who develop stuff while in the military don't sell it back to the gov't. I work with a lot of folks who have developed programming-type stuff that they keep to themselves until they get out, then cash in on. The government is never, ever going to give you a good deal money-wise on anything you sell to them.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm impressed that dude was able to get 5k out of Uncle Sam.

I came up with a modification for a part on our cooling skids to make it more functional, and I got a verbal thanks from the engineers in PHD, and that's it. I think my command might have let me use it on an eval, but that's about all the use it got me. The fuckers wouldn't even let us test my design :saddowns:

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

bengy81 posted:

I'm impressed that dude was able to get 5k out of Uncle Sam.

I came up with a modification for a part on our cooling skids to make it more functional, and I got a verbal thanks from the engineers in PHD, and that's it. I think my command might have let me use it on an eval, but that's about all the use it got me. The fuckers wouldn't even let us test my design :saddowns:

My recollection is hazy because he told me this like..6 year ago...but it took him several (like 2 years?) to hear anything back, and then another year or so to get the cash. But still, considering what he did, 5k is loving peanuts and not worth it.

Personally, any ideas I've had I've developed on my own time, outside of working hours on my personal boxes, never on government computers/resources/time. I would never attempt to sell any of my ideas to the government. If they were marketable enough I'd pursue other avenues unless they had a no-poo poo legitimate mission impact in the immediate future. If it was just a "good idea" I'd keep it to myself until they timing was right.

This is a similar situation that a lot of folks in academia encounter. They'll come up with incredible ideas or inventions, only to have the university/institution they're employed by throw an NDA their way and claim IP rights, typically because most of their research/development was done on resources provided by said institution/entity. I had professors in college who came up with revolutionary ideas only to have them essentially stolen out from under them by their respective university.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

You'd probably be wise to plastic coat/dip the entire interior, for easy clean-up.
To maximize profit, up-sell amenities;
Scented oils, chocolates, towels, lubes and lotions, etc are where you'll make the real money.

Dingleberry fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 22, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

buttplug posted:

It's legal to an extent. It's called a MILCAP package. Guy I went through OCS with was a prior AT who, through some magic, actually refined the fabrication process of some specific F-18 part (like whatever he did cut the cost of production of that piece of gear almost in half) and the Navy gave him like 5k in cash (yea, that's all).

Most people who develop stuff while in the military don't sell it back to the gov't. I work with a lot of folks who have developed programming-type stuff that they keep to themselves until they get out, then cash in on. The government is never, ever going to give you a good deal money-wise on anything you sell to them.

This was good information.

From the MILCAP instruction I found Executive Orders 10096 and 10930 which basically say that if the government can claim any connection to an invention they can claim at least partial rights. Disturbingly enough, this extends to things, "which bear a direct relation to or are made in consequence of the official duties of the inventor," which to my untrained eye says that if my professional training and experience contributed to the invention then the government can claim it. Interesting.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

ManMythLegend posted:

which to my untrained eye says that if my professional training and experience contributed to the invention then the government can claim it. Interesting.

This is pretty much exactly it. Source: I used to be a Contracting Officer. This is why things like IDEA and the patent incentive things exist, because they want people to get at least enough credit that people aren't afraid to come up with poo poo.

That goes double for military. People trying to sell photographs was always pretty cure.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Laranzu posted:

Probably already been done. The quality in right off base is basically a permanent emplaced gently caress shack

Ah the Super 8, after a few Irish Wakes that was how my daughter was born. Then again it was with my wife. And yeah after just leaving Corry, it's ridiculous. I got chewed out because I called a girl out for cheating on her husband and it made her feel uncomfortable :lol: Pretty much everywhere is a gently caress shack; chip trail, dumpsters behind captains mast, gazebo near the track and IT Barracks since theres no cameras. Corry was an MTV drama live. It was hilarious.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

squarerandom posted:

Ah the Super 8, after a few Irish Wakes that was how my daughter was born. Then again it was with my wife. And yeah after just leaving Corry, it's ridiculous. I got chewed out because I called a girl out for cheating on her husband and it made her feel uncomfortable :lol: Pretty much everywhere is a gently caress shack; chip trail, dumpsters behind captains mast, gazebo near the track and IT Barracks since theres no cameras. Corry was an MTV drama live. It was hilarious.

They finally installed cameras in IT barracks, at least as of 6 years ago.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

orange juche posted:

They finally installed cameras in IT barracks, at least as of 6 years ago.

Yes they did, and the E-5 sitting OOD can manipulate those cameras and zoom.

Oooh buddy could I zoom in.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The worst commercial is the one where they do the sailors creed. Imho, the creed is kind of dumb. Not as dumb as the army's leadership thing, but still pretty dumb.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vriess posted:

Yes they did, and the E-5 sitting OOD can manipulate those cameras and zoom.

Oooh buddy could I zoom in.

ENHANCE

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Dear Livejournal,

Back in December, I got injured during Reserves unit PT. The Navy had me heal for a month then do 6 months of physical therapy before finally letting me get an MRI. I guess they don't mind wasting physical therapy money but do mind paying for an MRI. The MRI showed that, yup, I definitely tore something and that I'd need surgery

Fast forward to today:
I just got my cast removed after getting 2 torn ligaments reattached. The doctor said that there was a ton of scar tissue that he had to cut out which made the surgery last 3 hours instead of 45 minutes.

With that, I give you the end result...
:nms:
http://imgur.com/Kh3iTgE

I get to wear a boot/crutches for about 6 more weeks then back to physical therapy. Woo.

I'm supposed to have a med board sometime in February to figure out what to do with me. I've been told as long as there are no complications, I'll probably be kept around. I'm on educational leave of absence from an engineering company until next summer while I finish up my BSEE. Since I'm going to work there again next summer, they kept me on the inactive payroll so I keep my benefits for about 85 more days. That means I still need to stay in the Reserves at least until I graduate and can get full time benefits.

Overall, my unit and NOSC have both been extremely supportive, going to far as to regularly call me to check on me and even coming over to help me move stuff. Can't really complain about anything except for having to wait forever to get an MRI... and the prospect that I'll have to worry about a medical separation that may not have sufficient benefits to make ends meet.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sir Lucius posted:

The worst commercial is the one where they do the sailors creed. Imho, the creed is kind of dumb. Not as dumb as the army's leadership thing, but still pretty dumb.

The sailor's creed is the worst of the armed forces creeds by a long shot.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's pretty aimless as a whole and makes some pretty weird statements like "and I will obey the orders of those appointed over me" like it's some bold commitment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

KetTarma posted:

Dear Livejournal,

Back in December, I got injured during Reserves unit PT. The Navy had me heal for a month then do 6 months of physical therapy before finally letting me get an MRI. I guess they don't mind wasting physical therapy money but do mind paying for an MRI. The MRI showed that, yup, I definitely tore something and that I'd need surgery

Fast forward to today:
I just got my cast removed after getting 2 torn ligaments reattached. The doctor said that there was a ton of scar tissue that he had to cut out which made the surgery last 3 hours instead of 45 minutes.

With that, I give you the end result...
http://imgur.com/Kh3iTgE

I get to wear a boot/crutches for about 6 more weeks then back to physical therapy. Woo.

I'm supposed to have a med board sometime in February to figure out what to do with me. I've been told as long as there are no complications, I'll probably be kept around. I'm on educational leave of absence from an engineering company until next summer while I finish up my BSEE. Since I'm going to work there again next summer, they kept me on the inactive payroll so I keep my benefits for about 85 more days. That means I still need to stay in the Reserves at least until I graduate and can get full time benefits.

Overall, my unit and NOSC have both been extremely supportive, going to far as to regularly call me to check on me and even coming over to help me move stuff. Can't really complain about anything except for having to wait forever to get an MRI... and the prospect that I'll have to worry about a medical separation that may not have sufficient benefits to make ends meet.

Hoorah military medicine!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fart Sandwiches posted:

It's pretty aimless as a whole and makes some pretty weird statements like "and I will obey the orders of those appointed over me" like it's some bold commitment.

It has absolutely nothing to do with being a sailor, either.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Got PCS orders to Dam Neck today :toot:. Attending ECS in Gulfport in route. Anyone been through ECS? Any tips 'n' tricks?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

If you gotta get stuck in Hampton Roads, Dam Neck is the place, grats!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've actually been meaning to mention how absolutely retarded it is. Honestly I had completely forgotten about because I hadn't heard it in almost 7 years, but now I have to hear it every day in class. I lay the blame squarely on MCPON Scott for this one.

gently caress YOU SCOTT, YOU loving PUSSY!!!! :argh:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I seem to remember the sailor's creed being a fairly new thing that was crafted to be as gay as possible. On the other hand Anchors Aweigh is probably the best branch song.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

I've actually been meaning to mention how absolutely retarded it is. Honestly I had completely forgotten about because I hadn't heard it in almost 7 years, but now I have to hear it every day in class. I lay the blame squarely on MCPON Scott for this one.

gently caress YOU SCOTT, YOU loving PUSSY!!!! :argh:

I avoided it for years but our new LCPO decided it should be recited at morning quarters. I still just mumble through because I'm not memorizing that crap.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Navy combat team. This line sounds like some retardo superhero squad and makes me lol

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Laranzu posted:

Navy combat team. This line sounds like some retardo superhero squad and makes me lol

"I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all" sounds like the first draft of a corporate handbook.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.
Last night was the pre deployment meeting. Highlight was the free child care of like two dozen kids by three or four chief selectees.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

How many sailors met their future brides?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Schlabbalabba posted:

Highlight was the free child care of like two dozen kids by three or four chief selectees.

Those poor fucks.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Anyone heard of people using TAD money to go to computer skills courses and poo poo like that?

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Anyone heard of people using TAD money to go to computer skills courses and poo poo like that?

In Hampton Roads area, at Tidewater Community College, you can use T.A. for a Coast Guard licensing course. Like driver's ed for ships. It's a "credentialing" course and I would imagine there are several for computers. Why not just take college courses and earn your CCNA certification?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Schlabbalabba posted:

In Hampton Roads area, at Tidewater Community College, you can use T.A. for a Coast Guard licensing course. Like driver's ed for ships. It's a "credentialing" course and I would imagine there are several for computers. Why not just take college courses and earn your CCNA certification?

Because I'm not trying to get a CCNA? ;) And I have no desire to gently caress around with TA. I just want to go take an Excel course and I've heard rumors of people convincing their commands to send them TAD for stuff like that even though they aren't Navy schools/courses. Just wondering if anyone here has actually witnessed this.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Because I'm not trying to get a CCNA? ;) And I have no desire to gently caress around with TA. I just want to go take an Excel course and I've heard rumors of people convincing their commands to send them TAD for stuff like that even though they aren't Navy schools/courses. Just wondering if anyone here has actually witnessed this.

How longs the class? I've seen people get no cost TAD for a couple weeks

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Schlabbalabba posted:

How longs the class? I've seen people get no cost TAD for a couple weeks

gently caress that, I'm trying to get the Navy to pay for it. :D

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

gently caress that, I'm trying to get the Navy to pay for it. :D

if you're serious about getting out and you have some leave & $$$ banked up, consider paying for real courses from cisco, vmware, microsoft, oracle, etc.
it hurts your wallet but you make it back in tax rebates the next year, as long as you file the correct tax deduction forms for education expenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

tuluk posted:

if you're serious about getting out and you have some leave & $$$ banked up, consider paying for real courses from cisco, vmware, microsoft, oracle, etc.
it hurts your wallet but you make it back in tax rebates the next year, as long as you file the correct tax deduction forms for education expenses.

I'm not trying to do that all that. I just want to get better at using Excel. And I want the Navy to pay for me to go do it. That is all. :D

• Locked thread