Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

I'm not trying to do that all that. I just want to get better at using Excel. And I want the Navy to pay for me to go do it. That is all. :D

vulturesrow posted:

I'm not trying to do that all that. I just want to get better at using Excel. And I want the Navy to pay for me to go do it. That is all. :D

"You can study one of many courses, to get training in an exciting field, like gunsmithing, accounting, cosmetology, mungmaker, cobblering, felching, or many more!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Had to post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj23I8hgj28

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
At lastcommand if you found a course you wanted you'd just route a chit through the training PO. If there was money, it was justifiable, and no manning issues. Then again, I don't know how it works for nobles.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

thats cool, excel knowledge is pretty useful.

i had you confused with one of the people desperately trying to escape from the Navy, which is why i dropped that advice.
anyway, the advice is valid for anyone going for any kind of certification, or even attending trade shows to "further your education".

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

tuluk posted:

thats cool, excel knowledge is pretty useful.

i had you confused with one of the people desperately trying to escape from the Navy, which is why i dropped that advice.
anyway, the advice is valid for anyone going for any kind of certification, or even attending trade shows to "further your education".

I've been using it a lot and I like it because I'm a nerd. I've managed to teach myself quite a bit but I'm sure I would benefit from a good instructor. I retire in 3.5 years and am almost done with my MBA so I should be set for job seeking, this is just for my own knowledge and it would actually benefit my command since I am using it a lot these days as I said.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My recruiting officer just called me and asked me if I was still down to ship even after the tramatic earthquake 3.0.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hey any CTNs in this thread or CTN instructors around? I have an ET3 in my shop who is looking at crossrating to CTN and wants to know what to expect.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

Hey any CTNs in this thread or CTN instructors around? I have an ET3 in my shop who is looking at crossrating to CTN and wants to know what to expect.

Currently in school to cross rate. PM me if you have any questions

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

orange juche posted:

Instructor here. PM like laranzu said. I guess from a student perspective he has a better word.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Next time the chiefs make you do a bake sale for eval points, whip up a batch of these.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/VYzatEf.jpg

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Is buying a flat of costco cupcakes cheating?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mad Dragon posted:

Next time the chiefs make you do a bake sale for eval points, whip up a batch of these.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/VYzatEf.jpg

:barf:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Is buying a flat of costco cupcakes cheating?

They taste better than most of the other terrible options

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

"Yar maties enjoy these frosted hard tack and spotted dick puddings"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

LingcodKilla posted:

"Yar maties enjoy these frosted hard tack and spotted dick puddings"

Ugh please don't remind me of the times our cooks decided they knew better than the recipe mrc's

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Snowdens Secret posted:

Ugh please don't remind me of the times our cooks decided they knew better than the recipe mrc's

I still want to shake the hand of whoever came up with "corned beef" the day after St. Patrick's Day, which consisted of corn and ground beef mixed together with no other seasoning or ingredients. Because that's just a level of chutzpah you don't see very often in cooking.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

What? Rice looks just like shredded mozzarella. Should be totally fine on pizza.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

What? Rice looks just like shredded mozzarella. Should be totally fine on pizza.

We had almonds on pizza, once.

Almonds.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

We had this really hairy gross cook who had pimples all over his arms, and he'd be the guy to make the pasta salad in one of those big copper pots. He wore plastic gloves while he mixed the cold pasta and mayo or whatever, but he'd go elbows deep into that poo poo, all his hair and pimples up in the pasta salad :barf: :barf: :barf:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Had a cook go elbow deep into the creamed corn to stir it, no glove, during a supervised evolution as part of whatever Supply's laughable equivalent of a TRE was called

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Blueberry

Blueberry meatloaf

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

How I remember most cooks I've known in the Navy:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm lovin it.

No seriously the blue berry meat loaf sounds amazing. Ketchup is sweet right? And you put that on meatloaf. It's like little capsules of sauce mixed throughout it.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

orange juche posted:

I'm CTN real life. You can PM me too if you want.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Blueberry

Blueberry meatloaf

:barf:

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Under baked sweet potato fries. We didn't have a deep fryer, so I'm not sure how that one got the ok, they were like super salty mush strips, they were so hosed.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
drat. I'm glad the cooks on my boat were decent. It was pretty rare to get a bad meal from them.

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
Food on my sub was actually pretty decent. We actually got an amazing cook 2nd patrol...made a huge difference.

OCS was another matter. They gave half my class food poisoning at one point.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Zarc posted:

Food on my sub was actually pretty decent. We actually got an amazing cook 2nd patrol...made a huge difference.

OCS was another matter. They gave half my class food poisoning at one point.

It's not food poisoning it's a weight loss plan.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
so, I shenaniganed my way into the retiree TGPS. It's a little depressing how lost and rudderless most of these senior enlisted will be out of the military

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

DownByTheWooter posted:

so, I shenaniganed my way into the retiree TGPS. It's a little depressing how lost and rudderless most of these senior enlisted will be out of the military

There's a retiree one? FFSC told me there is only one kind now (I am soon to be a lost and rudderless retiree.)(Nope, just kidding. I'll be awesome.)

poopkitty fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 26, 2014

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

poopkitty posted:

There's a retiree one? FFSC told me there is only one kind now (I am soon to be a last and rudderless retiree.)(Nope, just kidding. I'll be awesome.)

yeah, there's only like three people getting not-retired in my whole class. Here in San Diego, at least, they're separated for whatever reason, but the end result is the same, namely that you get a signature on your dd 2958(I think?). My whole checkout process came to a screeching halt because I don't have that since I finally got my retirement orders friday. My career counselors were adamant that disability retirement doesn't "count," so I couldn't go to the retiree class... so I just called the scheduling lady at ffsc directly. I'm on leave, so it's not like they're gonna stop me, all I do is eat leisurely breakfasts and do homework lately. It's a lovely way to spend 5 days of leave, but they weren't gonna approve a tad request in a day and the leave was already approved.

Lmao since they wouldn't let me put in terminal leave I just spammed my chain of command with a leave chit for every mon-fri until Weedsgiving Day. I'll just cancel the remainder once I get all my checkout ducks in a row and get my appointment to go get the dd214

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

DustyNuts posted:

How I remember most cooks I've known in the Navy:

That show fuckin owned

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

IIIIII heard that.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010
Has anyone ever heard anything about overturning a NAMI aviation disqualification? Reason was ADHD history 5-6 years ago and some other sleep-related bullshit that NAMI didn't like but BUMED didn't mind. I wouldn't be able to try again until 2016 anyway, which would bring it to 7-8 years ago.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Has anyone ever heard anything about overturning a NAMI aviation disqualification? Reason was ADHD history 5-6 years ago and some other sleep-related bullshit that NAMI didn't like but BUMED didn't mind. I wouldn't be able to try again until 2016 anyway, which would bring it to 7-8 years ago.

It would likely involve another screening of sorts from a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist. You'd have to speak to the NAMI authority and ask them exactly what you'd need, some waivers depend completely on what the investigating body deems fit. Some people get waived to go, others don't, it depends completely on everything they find during the investigation.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Command ballcaps can be worn with NWU's after labor day. So that's pretty cool I guess.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

Command ballcaps can be worn with NWU's after labor day. So that's pretty cool I guess.

As far as I could tell they never stopped wearing them on the ships.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boon posted:

gently caress yeah. I actually wrote multiple letters for the t-shirt commodore regarding ball caps and other uniform feedback. I'd like to feel I had a hand in this inconsequential, yet nice change for people still in. I'm pissed that someone over the years seems to have absconded with a couple of my old ball caps. I feel like a tool wearing them, but it gets me so god damned much business down here in the south it's hard not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

gently caress yeah. I actually wrote multiple letters for the t-shirt commodore regarding ball caps and other uniform feedback. I'd like to feel I had a hand in this inconsequential, yet nice change for people still in. I'm pissed that someone over the years seems to have absconded with a couple of my old ball caps. I feel like a tool wearing them, but it gets me so god damned much business down here in the south it's hard not to.

Did he tell you it was fine to wear one, as long as you bought enough to share with the whole command?

• Locked thread