Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

lol at anyone who gives a poo poo about a+ net+ and sec+. I don't even list mine on my resume. CISSP is legit though. At the end of the day (ie when you get out) CTNs have more money waiting on them with big boy jobs while IT folks are stuck doing helpdesk poo poo the rest of their lives. CTN SUPREMACY

LOL. You can come down now out of your ivory tower. In the real world CTNs are not that much better off than an IT. You push buttons on tools written by other people. You're barely qualified to run wireshark in most cases, and dudes who no-poo poo know what they're doing are the exception, who have acquired that kind of knowledge on their own - not from the Navy.

And seriously, nobody gives a gently caress about certs except the DoD. Sec+ is absolute bare minimum to even look at a computer, CISSP will get your foot in the door for more managerial poo poo (it is not a technical cert).

buttplug fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

vulturesrow posted:

You're a 1 percenter.

1 percenter is my friend who gets a full signing bonus for nuke, gets STA-21 at the end of the pipeline, gets his degree then throws his last nuke interview and is now flying jets. "yea man idk why people bitch about the navy"

CTNs are interesting. Some have interesting jobs and some do bullshit for a living but I like their advancement rate. I thought about cross-rating at PRD and was told I could do it but I don't really feel like having a nice hot dish of obliserv in the CT community. I'd be doing the same job with the same impact if I had a suit on instead of NWUs but with less bull.

CISSP/CEH/CCNA are the only certs I list on my resume CompTIA can suck it. The Navy paid for each one even though they aren't related to my job other than that I sit at a computer, but we had to keep our training quotas. Always the quotas. The reality of being a CT is that we're just minimum-wage private contractors that are basically indentured servants and will frequently work roles that aren't even remotely related to our original training if we're on shore and only the 1% get to see a deploying platform. If you want a ride to chief with a pretty easy 9-5 then go for it though, just be aware that most of our Chiefs are wave-riders that can't even lead sailors to failure.

:killdozer: TAKE THE DLAB :killdozer:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

buttplug posted:

LOL. You can come down now out of your ivory tower. In the real world CTNs are not that much better off than an IT. You push buttons on tools written by other people. You're barely qualified to run wireshark in most cases, and dudes who no-poo poo know what they're doing are the exception, who have acquired that kind of knowledge on their own - not from the Navy.

And seriously, nobody gives a gently caress about certs except the DoD. Sec+ is absolute bare minimum to even look at a computer, CISSP will get your foot in the door for more managerial poo poo (it is not a technical cert).

To be honest I didn't work at a big CT command and the people I did work with were very smart. I actually did write some tools that people pushed the button on. I was just in on the ground floor when there were very few of us and I got out when the gettin out was good.

I guess what I'm saying is your time in the navy is what you make of it but a CT* has a leg up on most folks.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

vulturesrow posted:

You're a 1 percenter.

Meh. :shrug: I think it's possible for everyone that doesn't make stupid life decisions based on proximity and prioritizes correctly. But if everyone in the Navy had a clue how to prioritize, we would not be all-"volunteer."

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

poopkitty posted:

Meh. :shrug: I think it's possible for everyone that doesn't make stupid life decisions based on proximity and prioritizes correctly. But if everyone in the Navy had a clue how to prioritize, we would not be all-"volunteer."

I agree. What makes it even worse for you 1 percenters is that all women in the Navy get tarred with the same brush and that is unfair. My comment was obviously (I hope) made tongue in cheek but I'm sure you know that attitude is alive and well.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Do nobles have some image of what an enlisted barracks looks like? Apparently some seamen left their semen filled condoms and beer cans around with a noble complaining. I'm over here laughing cause of a sea bag inspection for "deployability", the confused faces of the retired civilians (and my friends as well) that were wondering why corpsmen are doing a sea bag inspection when even the constantly deploying dudes never did one.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Pandasmores posted:

Do nobles have some image of what an enlisted barracks looks like? Apparently some seamen left their semen filled condoms and beer cans around with a noble complaining. I'm over here laughing cause of a sea bag inspection for "deployability", the confused faces of the retired civilians (and my friends as well) that were wondering why corpsmen are doing a sea bag inspection when even the constantly deploying dudes never did one.

sea-bag inspection is just some quasi-punitive administrative bullshit you hassle a junior guy with when they need a little extra "sailorization" or you can't quite come up with something besides failing an inspection to write them up for. It doesn't really have anything to do with deployment
I hated poo poo like that, but honestly I recognize now the importance of building that kind of paper trail if you have a legit problem sailor

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 4, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Pandasmores posted:

Define "left around"? In the trash can is one thing. Left literally lying around is kind of gross to say the least. That said, as has been discussed here before, that's generally something we leave to the goat locker to manage. The only way I would get involved is if it is completely out of hand or some complaint has filtered up to the CO who then makes me handle it.

As for the seabag inspection, I agree it's kind of a hassle but at the same time you are expected to have those items. It's not really that hard to maintain. And Wooter is right, you have to be able to point to that kind of stuff when you want to deal with a shitbag sailor.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Yeah, nothing quite happened at all recently among people to get it to happen so I was just laughing. I have all my stuff, since I don't wear most of the stuff issued to me anyway. Just a couple of my NWUs that I wash continuously and my NSUs for duty. I don't know how some of these dudes have lost the expensive bits of their uniform/gave them away to family because their family thought it looked cool. Hilariously enough the weekend after they did the inspection there was a DUI. There should be a sitcom created just by using moments of everyone's time in to cover all the bases of ship, shore, and other lives within the Navy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pre-deployment seabag inspections aren't crazy at all on ships to make sure people have everything they need for the time the ship is gone. Once you're out to sea or just randomly in port it's mainly just to gently caress with someone.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Pandasmores posted:

Do nobles have some image of what an enlisted barracks looks like? Apparently some seamen left their semen filled condoms and beer cans around with a noble complaining.

I'm at a loss as to why you don't find this awful. As a non-noble (albeit one who washes her coffee cup) I find the very idea of condoms "laying around" gross. Also beer cans. It's not a "noble" thing to pick up after yourself.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Of course it isn't. Someone picks up for us.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Probably left in the trashcan. If there's one thing the navy hates more than anything else it's leaving trash in a trashcan.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sir Lucius posted:

Probably left in the trashcan. If there's one thing the navy hates more than anything else it's leaving trash in a trashcan.

Right behind putting things in pockets.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

poopkitty posted:

I'm at a loss as to why you don't find this awful. As a non-noble (albeit one who washes her coffee cup) I find the very idea of condoms "laying around" gross. Also beer cans. It's not a "noble" thing to pick up after yourself.

I don't walk out there so I don't give a poo poo about anything. They're not sprawled out in my room or door so I don't care what is immersed in the carpets of the common areas I don't frequent.

Netanyahu
Nov 20, 2013

The blood of Palestinian children keeps my engine running smooth.
The United States Navy has always been my favorite branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. It's inherent multi-role capabilities is what makes it so interesting. When I was much younger I used to always think the Navy exclusively operated in/near water and any aircraft use was strictly exclusive to the U.S. Airforce (I thought carrier take-offs were events facilitated by the american Airforce).

Other than the Seals/jets, what other cool poo poo is the US Navy responsible for doing that the general public might not be aware of?

EDIT: Immeasurable respect for the people serving.

Netanyahu fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 5, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
All the good and competent astronauts are Navy.

Also Marines ride in our equipment.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Netanyahu posted:

Other than the Seals/jets, what other cool poo poo is the US Navy responsible for doing that the general public might not be aware of?

being a single point of failure

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Netanyahu posted:

The United States Navy has always been my favorite branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. It's inherent multi-role capabilities is what makes it so interesting. When I was much younger I used to always think the Navy exclusively operated in/near water and any aircraft use was strictly exclusive to the U.S. Airforce (I thought carrier take-offs were events facilitated by the american Airforce).

I think the real core competency of the United States Navy, when compared to the other branches of service is our ability to find and negotiate terms of service with east asian prostitutes, female or transexual. I don't think any other branch really comes close to our collective knowledge regarding the habits, price structures and services on offer of Filipina bargirls and Thai ladyboys

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

DownByTheWooter posted:

I think the real core competency of the United States Navy, when compared to the other branches of service is our ability to find and negotiate terms of service with east asian prostitutes, female or transexual. I don't think any other branch really comes close to our collective knowledge regarding the habits, price structures and services on offer of Filipina bargirls and Thai ladyboys

Other branches of service, yes, but I think fat British expats have us beat on this one.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I always thought the rampant prostitution and such in port was a thing of the past and I joined a "new" Navy considering how much they talked about it and how bad it is "not in today's Navy!" blah blah

boy was I ever wrong

did hear a story from a friend that NCIS or whomever were doing some "sting" operation in a foreign and his buddy got caught and he was his libbo buddy so he got NJP'd too.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Christoff posted:

I always thought the rampant prostitution and such in port was a thing of the past and I joined a "new" Navy considering how much they talked about it and how bad it is "not in today's Navy!" blah blah

boy was I ever wrong

did hear a story from a friend that NCIS or whomever were doing some "sting" operation in a foreign and his buddy got caught and he was his libbo buddy so he got NJP'd too.

Which is why your liberty party should consist of: A Chief, NCIS Agent, and Civilian Contractor. Short of murdering a foreign national, everything is kosher.

Also, drunk shore patrol is best shore patrol.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I thought with them hammering down on, well, everything and constantly busting people for mundane minor poo poo it'd be tame. Nope. Aside from fights and poo poo I don't think I saw anyone really get in trouble.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

If the Navy was actually serious about prostitution then ships wouldn't go anywhere near SE Asia, much less loving Pattaya, Thailand.

Until that happens it's all lip service for the general public.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, makes sense. You guys ever see people busted for :siren: HUMAN TRAFFICKING :siren:

gently caress even Israel though :shrug: and not that I cared to know but I heard Oman too if you knew who to ask. Which makes sense since Salalah is a pretty big port.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

orange juche posted:

You at Pax River? That place is well known as the retirement home for chiefs and nobles.

3 on 12 off? holy poo poo who is your cheng you should probably suck his dick, repeatedly

I don't think our engineering dudes were ever off 5 and dimes, ever.

Since i am a nuke on a carrier it is the RO, the CHENG is in charge of toilets, but we were all bummed because we were on 5-20. We have a ton of qualified people in our department, but due to heat stress we cut it down. It still owns and I get at least 8 hours of sleep a night even with the workday. The only thing I can complain about is the food.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Netanyahu posted:

My avatar.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

We also help find and rescue stranded vessels. In this case an Aussie flight found the stranded fishermen, but it was our ship that diverted and went to assist.

http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/ddg70/Pages/JointCoalitionForcesRescuePakistaniFishermen.aspx#.U-DP-FblOIg

That was interesting in a number of ways. First off, the captain made us shave our beards because we were doing real work. That sucked. We sent over our VBSS team with a bunch of food, water, and basically cold packs (robitussin, advil, tylenol, etc) over to the dhow. I was on watch in CIC (Combat Information Center) and we watched the VBSS team try to board this old rear end boat. It was rocking so hard the side rails were nearly hitting the water. After the first two guys struggled with their pilot's ladder to clime aboard, our team switched up and just started stepping on the second to last rung when it rocked down close to our RHIB (navy small boat). The rocking made one of our guys a little sick to his stomach and he had to poo poo. The ship had no toilet, so he had to go to the head of the ship and squat over a hole. We could see him poo poo on the camera from CIC. Afterwards we spent the rest of the evening playing tag with various groups trying to decide what we were going to do. Before someone finally got the pakistanis to give a drat, we had all our towing gear out and had cleared out a berthing for them to stay in while we towed them back. Thankfully we didn't have to actually try to tow them because that would have been a giant pain. Once we got our notification of Pakistan's people coming to get them, we just chilled, made sure they had supplies, and bounced as soon as the other ship came in.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Snowdens Secret posted:

All the good and competent astronauts are Navy.

You must be referring to Lisa Nowak.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Christoff posted:

Yeah, makes sense. You guys ever see people busted for :siren: HUMAN TRAFFICKING :siren:

gently caress even Israel though :shrug: and not that I cared to know but I heard Oman too if you knew who to ask. Which makes sense since Salalah is a pretty big port.

If you need a hooker in Israel you're a pretty sad sack. That's like getting a hooker in Australia. Obviously people do it but it's lazy as poo poo.

The gulf states it's all about getting some random Russian sent to your hotel room which misses out on the joys of the cathouse experience IMO

Netanyahu
Nov 20, 2013

Thanks for the responses. On average, how long do you guys spend on ship?

Christoff posted:

gently caress even Israel though :shrug:

If you're referring to some event 40 years ago it should be noted it will never happen again. We also sacrificed a large financial reparation payout.

Netanyahu fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 5, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Huh

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Netanyahu posted:

If you're referring to some event 40 years ago it should be noted it will never happen again. We also sacrificed a large financial reparation payout.

Christoff's talking about prostitutes, not the Pueblo

Netanyahu
Nov 20, 2013

Apologies, I thought it was a direct jab to the tragedy that is USS Liberty.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you need a hooker in Israel you're a pretty sad sack. That's like getting a hooker in Australia. Obviously people do it but it's lazy as poo poo.

The gulf states it's all about getting some random Russian sent to your hotel room which misses out on the joys of the cathouse experience IMO

Are the Jewesses easy?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Are the Jewesses easy?

If there are two countries in the world where the people in general and the girls in particular are known for being American friendly, and for more than just obvious green-card antics, it's Israel and Australia. (Someone tell an Australian tennis ball sea story.). Plus it is a modern liberated society at a point we're honestly regressing away from, and the cities have a tremendous party culture when they're not forced to take shelter.

I wouldn't call them easy, if you're a docking up Frenchman or something you'll probably get a cooler reception

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

If there are two countries in the world where the people in general and the girls in particular are known for being American friendly, and for more than just obvious green-card antics, it's Israel and Australia. (Someone tell an Australian tennis ball sea story.). Plus it is a modern liberated society at a point we're honestly regressing away from, and the cities have a tremendous party culture when they're not forced to take shelter.

I wouldn't call them easy, if you're a docking up Frenchman or something you'll probably get a cooler reception

I honestly have to say that I haven't seen very many pictures of unattractive Israeli women.

When I was on a midshipmen cruise I had a very salty 1st class tell me that Australia was the one time in his career he seriously considered going AWOL. Makes you think.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

(Someone tell an Australian tennis ball sea story.)

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

orange juche posted:

You at Pax River? That place is well known as the retirement home for chiefs and nobles.

3 on 12 off? holy poo poo who is your cheng you should probably suck his dick, repeatedly

I don't think our engineering dudes were ever off 5 and dimes, ever.

I am in a precom, where we have in theory 4-8, in actuality 6-6s, holy poo poo gently caress you i hope you die. (But we have AC in our plants so eh, you pick your fights)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

almighty
Mar 9, 2011
While Goon seamen here discuss the foreign wimminz they might encounter in foreign ports, something very interesting has allegedly been going on board USS Cowpens.

Not gonna lie, I would hit that CHENG myself any day. She is pretty hot. What I can't figure out is why her parents would name her 'Destiny Noel Savage' in the first place? And how can someone with that name can go on to earn a commission in the Navy and become a Chief Engineer on a ship? :iiam:

Let's discuss.

• Locked thread