Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Mad Dragon posted:

I had my own podium in power school.

I have to think the pace and volume of information is a little different in Power School than HM "A" School. IJS. It's your job. IDGAF if you're sleepy. Suck it up. Thank the Spaghetti Monster he'll never have to stand a 02-07 in CIC in the XNAG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

poopkitty posted:

I have to think the pace and volume of information is a little different in Power School than HM "A" School. IJS. It's your job. IDGAF if you're sleepy. Suck it up. Thank the Spaghetti Monster he'll never have to stand a 02-07 in CIC in the XNAG.

I once, while nodding off myself in the NAG on the rev, stood up to try and stay awake and woke up the TAO for the second time. Realizing that combat was very, very quiet I turned the corner and found every single watchstander in air alley (cruiser CIC) asleep except for my FC at CIWS who looked at me bewildered. CSC was drooling on his console keyboard.

100% on watch.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol jfc you guys have never fallen asleep during a powerpoint

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

poopkitty posted:

It's your job. IDGAF if you're sleepy. Suck it up. Thank the Spaghetti Monster he'll never have to stand a 02-07 in CIC in the XNAG.

This is exactly what gets me pissed. A lot of the younger students I get don't realize it's their job and treat it like they're still living with their parents going to high school.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I once fell asleep standing up in a chem lab in college. I caught myself about an inch away from smashing face first into the counter. Another time I fell asleep at the beginning of a calculus class and woke up halfway through the next period (in an empty classroom). That's pretty much the tip of the iceberg of my sleeping escapades.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Christoff posted:

lol jfc you guys have never fallen asleep during a powerpoint

yeah and the adult thing to do is like stand up or i dunno hang yourself for being a failure at life if you can't manage to do that

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

buttplug posted:

Stop playing WoW all night, get 7-8hrs, take some hydroxycut in the AM, drink a large black coffee, take more hydroxycut at lunch, and you'll be in beast-mode until about 7-7:30.

A single dose of thermogenics usually has be wired for the next eight hours. I'll take it at 9-10am and be good for the rest of the day. That and hydration.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I'd rather have a sleepy dude who knows his poo poo than a guy who stays awake and gets a 75. Let the class sleepers sleep, who the gently caress cares. They will either pass or fail on their own accord.

Now for some schadenfreude:

The Army had a pants on head retarded schedule for their night shift CTN-esque MOS students. They got out of class at 2300, and had to be at PT by 0430.
Well, the platoon sergeant who made this schedule and defended it classed up as a night shift student. Failed out of the first module. His excuse "I was too tired all the time, and could never study".
Now the army is doing their PT from balls to 0100. I wish every dumb rule implemented had to be lived by the senior leadership for a week.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Once had an instructor that wouldn't let us stand up. But got pissed as gently caress if people fell asleep. We were extremely sleep deprived, A/C was broken, and room was about 95 degrees.

Then they got mad at people slanging caffeine pills :shrug:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Boon posted:

I once, while nodding off myself in the NAG on the rev, stood up to try and stay awake and woke up the TAO for the second time. Realizing that combat was very, very quiet I turned the corner and found every single watchstander in air alley (cruiser CIC) asleep except for my FC at CIWS who looked at me bewildered. CSC was drooling on his console keyboard.

100% on watch.

On night check cutting gator squares in the Gulf of Aden, felt a bit tired so thought I would get up, stretching the legs and visit TAO and then hit the BWC on the way back to the JIC. Only one person awake in CIC and the two guys awake in Flagplot were watching a movie.

Night Check, best shift.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Laranzu posted:

I'd rather have a sleepy dude who knows his poo poo than a guy who stays awake and gets a 75. Let the class sleepers sleep, who the gently caress cares. They will either pass or fail on their own accord.

Now for some schadenfreude:

The Army had a pants on head retarded schedule for their night shift CTN-esque MOS students. They got out of class at 2300, and had to be at PT by 0430.
Well, the platoon sergeant who made this schedule and defended it classed up as a night shift student. Failed out of the first module. His excuse "I was too tired all the time, and could never study".
Now the army is doing their PT from balls to 0100. I wish every dumb rule implemented had to be lived by the senior leadership for a week.

The Army is loving crazy about PT. I somehow made it through Corry with only 2 weeks of PT. The military leadership stopped giving a gently caress and knew they wouldn't have to administer our next PT test.

Now for stupid second guessing myself time:

I recently found out my SRB multiplier is 7, not 5. I could re-enlist and it would only be two extra years and I'd get and extra 70,000. I know it's not just about the money, but my Navy life isn't that bad, and I could still use the GI bill when I get out.
I'm trying to come up with a list of cons and pros.
Pros: I don't have to keep track of my hours, I get a poo poo load of leave and holidays, tax free BAH, job security, tricare
Cons: I'll probably pick up first which means CPO365, I'll have to stand watches possibly on weekends and holidays, GMTs, could end up in a lovely location, random Navy bullshit, tricare

I know you can make good money on the outside, but it's not necessarily a sure thing.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Sir Lucius posted:

The Army is loving crazy about PT. I somehow made it through Corry with only 2 weeks of PT. The military leadership stopped giving a gently caress and knew they wouldn't have to administer our next PT test.

I recently found out my SRB multiplier is 7, not 5. I could re-enlist and it would only be two extra years and I'd get and extra 70,000. I know it's not just about the money, but my Navy life isn't that bad, and I could still use the GI bill when I get out.
Pros: I don't have to keep track of my hours, I get a poo poo load of leave and holidays, tax free BAH, job security, tricare
Cons: I'll probably pick up first which means CPO365, I'll have to stand watches possibly on weekends and holidays, GMTs, could end up in a lovely location, random Navy bullshit, tricare

I know you can make good money on the outside, but it's not necessarily a sure thing.

Don't forget that 70K is taxed which I'm sure you knew but it still seems like a pretty good chunk of money for only 2 additional years. It would be nice to just stash away in preparation for getting out.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Sir Lucius posted:

If you don't hate your job then take the 70k. If you hate yourself and wake up wanting to punch babies and little old ladies then get out.

Either option is what you make of it. If you aren't a complete idiot and know how to wear a suit and tie, you can probably get a job in your field, or hack your way through college, but if your grand plan is to move home and save up money for "lawyer school" or some other bs, then stay in, you will be better off.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

bengy81 posted:

If you don't hate your job then take the 70k. If you hate yourself and wake up wanting to punch babies and little old ladies then get out.

Either option is what you make of it. If you aren't a complete idiot and know how to wear a suit and tie, you can probably get a job in your field, or hack your way through college, but if your grand plan is to move home and save up money for "lawyer school" or some other bs, then stay in, you will be better off.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
The GI bill allows you to change your path in life to whatever you want. You could start on your new path now... or wait 2 years. The 45k you'll probably get after taxes will make you more comfortable but that has to be compared against how unhappy the military will make you in the meantime.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I'm in a field I like, and any civilian job I take will be similar. I'd like to do more programming, and get advanced training in it, which is what I want out of the GI bill. How does SRB work? I've heard you get half up front and the rest distributed.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Once had an instructor that wouldn't let us stand up. But got pissed as gently caress if people fell asleep. We were extremely sleep deprived, A/C was broken, and room was about 95 degrees.

Then they got mad at people slanging caffeine pills :shrug:

Hahaha, that's what pretty much happened in my class, except instead of caffeine pills everyone was taking Jack3d because we always went to the gym after class and that poo poo was powdered meth. Honestly if he's going to surg tech school nothing much will be different except the instructors are more laid back.

Nacirema: You'll probably have this swole as gently caress dude teaching you that has boots that he somehow got to be mirrors even around the laces through the power of his elbows alone. He's a lot of fun if you get on his good side. I advise you go to the gym before you study your 1,000 instruments. The instruments are pretty easy, just remember the important things like "this isn't just a scalpel, it's a scalpel with a fancy handle" and they all have fancy handles. Memorize the angles of their handles and some of the other intricate features to the other surgical poo poo otherwise you'll score lovely on tests and when you prep for the surgeons at clinicals they will straight up throw the instruments onto the ground if you hand them the wrong thing for the procedure, which you'd then have to find another of or autoclave the one the one they threw away if it didn't land in the sterile field. I know this because all of my friends when I was going through c school were surg techs and I learned a lot of the material when they would study in my room as we hung out. Stay the gently caress out of the bake shop that opened up in the C school schoolhouse and for the love of all things natural and holy don't get a girlfriend from another branch.

The most fun you'll ever have in class is probably memorizing the Airman and Soldier's Creeds and reciting it better than they can.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Half up front, the rest you get evenly distributed once per year for the remainder of time on your contract that you're reenlisting for. I believed it's paid on your Navyversery day.

If you later extend, then it ends on the same day it would have prior to signing the extension. It doesn't get recalculated.

Note: This is the best my fuzzy memory could produce. I'd check with Personnel if you want a 100% certain answer.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

Cons: I'll probably pick up first which means CPO365,

Depending on your command they might not give a gently caress if you don't go. Here at great lakes it's weighed into your eval so I guess I'm getting a p?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
gently caress man, tax free BAH is so loving good. I guess despite everything said on this forum I enlisted with a degree, I might as well keep ignoring advice and consider re-enlisting as well.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
Fuckin' NAS Fallon man. Dry as gently caress. Cold. Desert. 24 on, 24 off schedule.

Airwings come and just gently caress the place up for a month at a time. They've only got one goddamned FAX machine for the whole place. Phantom Shitter in the Chapel. $800 per diem/month due to the galley having shitfuck hours, so a permissive rate is authorized. It's all spent on booze.

Chasing man-sized tumbleweeds across the flight line and FOD walkdowns almost hourly because of it.
Goddamned birdstrike threat everywhere.

FCPOA corruption and monopolization of duty vehicles run rampant. High altitude lowers blood pressure. Passed out while shaving and hit hard against the barracks' wall. Got yelled at for being late for work. Had to have an MRI.

But they had a VirtuaON Arcade Machine at Mean Gene's. That's pretty cool.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Vriess posted:

Fuckin' NAS Fallon man. Dry as gently caress. Cold. Desert. 24 on, 24 off schedule.

Airwings come and just gently caress the place up for a month at a time. They've only got one goddamned FAX machine for the whole place. Phantom Shitter in the Chapel. $800 per diem/month due to the galley having shitfuck hours, so a permissive rate is authorized. It's all spent on booze.

Chasing man-sized tumbleweeds across the flight line and FOD walkdowns almost hourly because of it.

FCPOA corruption and monopolization of duty vehicles run rampant. High altitude lowers blood pressure. Passed out while shaving and hit hard against the barracks' wall. Got yelled at for being late for work. Had to have an MRI.

war is hell

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Wait, I thought you got out.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Sir Lucius posted:

Wait, I thought you got out.

I did, but I have a good memory. I spent months there; that's enough. Flashbacking sucks because the self-narrative hits present tense.

I mean, the scenery is nice because it's mountains all around. So if you like running, it's basically the background of Cruisin' USA. Everywhere.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

KetTarma posted:

Half up front, the rest you get evenly distributed once per year for the remainder of time on your contract that you're reenlisting for. I believed it's paid on your Navyversery day.

If you later extend, then it ends on the same day it would have prior to signing the extension. It doesn't get recalculated.

Note: This is the best my fuzzy memory could produce. I'd check with Personnel if you want a 100% certain answer.

It's paid in October. Like, the 4th. For Fiscal Year reasons, I'd bet.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Vriess posted:

Hahaha, my LPO wanted to see if he could set up something where one of us techs goes TAD there to "help out their Mental Health services" and I laughed hard, explaining to him exactly what's out there. Dude's got what it takes to get far in the Navy, he's oblivious to a lot of things because of his mentality, but, he hates the way it's a "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" organization with backstabbing.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I easily made the re-enlistment bonus money and then some within 2 years of getting out and enjoying civlife, and even working 'long' civilian hours my quality of life was soooooo much better

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yea, but I have to imagine quality of life for a nuke isn't that good to begin with.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was about to post this but got sidetracked by sodomy.

August Navy Thread: Was About To Post, Got Sidetracked By Sodomy

I passed out during a drill one time at the RPCP and drat near faceplanted into the shim switch and had to have the RO drill monitor kick me awake. In fairness I was in an EAB and ventilation was secured in maneuvering with like 15 people in there and it was hot as gently caress. I also nearly conked out up in the sail during a particularly long and bad maneuvering watch when it was deep-subfreezing in the North Atlantic and I had like seven layers of clothes and chemical warmers inside my pumpkin suit and still practically had hypothermia. I sure as gently caress want HM students in a regular classroom to stay awake, jesus gently caress.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Snowdens Secret posted:

August Navy Thread: Was About To Post, Got Sidetracked By Sodomy

I passed out during a drill one time at the RPCP and drat near faceplanted into the shim switch and had to have the RO drill monitor kick me awake. In fairness I was in an EAB and ventilation was secured in maneuvering with like 15 people in there and it was hot as gently caress. I also nearly conked out up in the sail during a particularly long and bad maneuvering watch when it was deep-subfreezing in the North Atlantic and I had like seven layers of clothes and chemical warmers inside my pumpkin suit and still practically had hypothermia. I sure as gently caress want HM students in a regular classroom to stay awake, jesus gently caress.

I had a close call like that when I was the lucky one from the locker they decided to put in a MOPP suit and send topside for the ATG inspected drills in the Okinawa op area. It was hot/humid as gently caress and we had zebra set on the ship for a good while, so the ship itself was quite a bit more miserable than normal to boot. I get sent outside wearing that loving garbage sack along with the DC trainers and ATG people. I'm not sure if I had ever been trained on what to do with those stupid chemical test kits or not. I was at the first stop on my route and they kept asking questions. I just mumbled and muffled out some poo poo which was certainly pulled from my rear end, but I was dying in there. When one of them finally looked at my face they immediately started helping me take the blouse and headpiece off. We passed that part, but I'm pretty sure it was more because they felt bad for me than anything else.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Vriess posted:

A single dose of thermogenics usually has be wired for the next eight hours. I'll take it at 9-10am and be good for the rest of the day. That and hydration.

Ahh yea, I forgot that tidbit. Drink a shitload of cold water. It will boost your metabolism, and having all that water on your bladder will make you uncomfortable, meaning your body won't want to fall asleep as much and you'll be taking leaks quite often so you'll be up and moving around.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

I'm in a field I like, and any civilian job I take will be similar. I'd like to do more programming, and get advanced training in it, which is what I want out of the GI bill. How does SRB work? I've heard you get half up front and the rest distributed.

You still have my email address? Email me, I have a pretty good suggestion for you, potentially.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Hypothetically, is it legal for an active duty member of the military to build/make something and then try to sell it to the service, or is that against some sort of contracting rule?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If it's actually good they would most likely just 'take' it and do whatever to gently caress you over legally.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

ManMythLegend posted:

Hypothetically, is it legal for an active duty member of the military to build/make something and then try to sell it to the service, or is that against some sort of contracting rule?

My guess would be that it's contingent on whether your design or contract bid was based on any insider knowledge you gained solely as a member of the military and was not generally available to others. But my acquisitions class at NPS was boring as hell, and I only retained about 5% of it, so that could be totally off-base.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My great uncle designed an improved heat dissapater on the m60 during trials that was put into general production and he got squat. Granted That was half a century ago.

Kind of an odd thing to take credit for but that's what his brother said.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ok my DEP pool is hopeless. You guys better be way more awesome on the other side of this.

Just beared witness to another failed romance with pretty bad potential conquences.

The gently caress is up with dating bipolars.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

I've heard that a SEAL medic figured out a better way to deal with sucking chest wounds (called an Asherman Chest Seal, ), and the Navy claimed that because the invention was directly related to his duties the developed IP rights belonged to the DoD. I don't know about making something, but I would talk to a lawyer about any intellectual property rights before you try to patent ideas you have that the military might want to not pay you for.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Ok my DEP pool is hopeless. You guys better be way more awesome on the other side of this.

Just beared witness to another failed romance with pretty bad potential conquences.

enlisted.txt

Edit: Pick up all that crazy strange on the rebound. Then ship off to bootcamp with all the STDs you want.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

It's a beautiful thing, and it doesn't get better. They get a stick up their rear end and some take it out while others fly the blue falcon colors 24/7.

• Locked thread