Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bengy81
May 8, 2010
Dear active duty faggots,
Please take care of the monthly thread so I don't have to anymore.

Also continue bitching about the prt so I can feel good about not having to deal with it.

Edit: gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

You aren't wrong.

Edit: I should add that I'm still a good 100lbs and a blown out knee away from needing a rascal scooter. :911:

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

SK and SH don't usually stand any watches at sea except in low visibility, drills, or special evolutions on small boys. They just run the store, laundry, and supply. Every one of those fuckers goes to bed at night.

Also, the biggest perks are office hours and holiday routine. Motherfuckers only worked like 3 hours a day at sea, and you had to suck SUPPO's loving rear end in a top hat to get parts 1 minute after closing or on a Sunday. Also they always got the hookup from the other dudes on supply. Always got the fresh cigarettes, always got the cold monsters, always had their names on the haircut list first, always the first to eat at meals, and usually got to clean out midrats before the line opened.

It would be the perfect seagoing job if it weren't for the advancement, also supply corps officers seemed extra douchy.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Kinda feels like you tell everyone that no matter the rating.

That's cuz every job is pretty lovely, mostly due to the fact you are in the Navy and dealing with inept leadership. All jobs are pretty poo poo, just some are more poo poo than others, and some offer more opportunities when you get out.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

I don't know, I've always enjoyed the actual NEC part of my job, whether that be display, acnt, or teaching. Really it's all of the extraneous garbage that makes it such poo poo.

Yeah, but how much time on the ship did you actually spend doing your job vs cleaning or doing something "cuz :chiefsay:"

fake edit: I guess I enjoyed being a tech when I was allowed to do something not involving the skids and when the old man wasn't popping in to our shops randomly to make sure the radar was still turning.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

A good piece of advice for anyone in a position to write awards (so I guess at the minimum the WCS level) is to constantly write them. In my workcenter I left with three NAMs, my replacement left with three NAMs, and two others had two. I'd like to think me constantly routing NAMS up every month had something to do with that.

You remember how awesome some of our techs were right? I did a lot of technician stuff, probably more than I should have been doing towards the end. I didn't even mind the poo poo I was doing as CSMM A (paper bitch) like rewriting the aloft instruction because it was a tangible thing that had an actual point, as opposed to repainting the same P-Way three times in one deployment for reasons. I'm pretty sure yo ufelt the same way when you weren't writing loving spreadsheets constantly. Which I guess was pretty much never unfortunately.

Ya, that's why I like my job now, I get to do what I was trained to do, with minimal interference. My direct supervisor does a fantastic job of catching the B.S. and he really only bugs us for stuff if he really needs something from us. At this point, it's almost enjoyable to get pulled away from my normal job to do bullshit.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Howard Phillips posted:

Someone tell me how sweet it is to get out and go to school on post 9/11 gi bill and yellow ribbon. Plus bitches and all that jazz. Just need some words of encouragement to keep pushing to my minimum service obligation.

Not being in the Navy is pretty sweet, I would highly recommend separating. Best decision I ever made.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Midrats: great meal, or greatest meal? It's honestly the one thing about the boat that I miss. I'm making french toast and eggs for dinner to cope with withdrawal.

You are nuts, midrats was stale bread and peanut butter half the time.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Sir Lucius posted:

Luckily you can also take breaks in semesters without being penalized, right? So if I can't get all the classes I need to go full time I can just not take classes that semester without burning through any GI bill time.

Yes, it's really easy, if you are just going to take one or two classes, or not take any classes, all you have to do is have your GI bill person stop your benefits for the term. If they are good it shouldn't be a problem.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Sir Lucius posted:

The Army is loving crazy about PT. I somehow made it through Corry with only 2 weeks of PT. The military leadership stopped giving a gently caress and knew they wouldn't have to administer our next PT test.

Now for stupid second guessing myself time:

I recently found out my SRB multiplier is 7, not 5. I could re-enlist and it would only be two extra years and I'd get and extra 70,000. I know it's not just about the money, but my Navy life isn't that bad, and I could still use the GI bill when I get out.
I'm trying to come up with a list of cons and pros.
Pros: I don't have to keep track of my hours, I get a poo poo load of leave and holidays, tax free BAH, job security, tricare
Cons: I'll probably pick up first which means CPO365, I'll have to stand watches possibly on weekends and holidays, GMTs, could end up in a lovely location, random Navy bullshit, tricare

I know you can make good money on the outside, but it's not necessarily a sure thing.

If you don't hate your job then take the 70k. If you hate yourself and wake up wanting to punch babies and little old ladies then get out.

Either option is what you make of it. If you aren't a complete idiot and know how to wear a suit and tie, you can probably get a job in your field, or hack your way through college, but if your grand plan is to move home and save up money for "lawyer school" or some other bs, then stay in, you will be better off.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm impressed that dude was able to get 5k out of Uncle Sam.

I came up with a modification for a part on our cooling skids to make it more functional, and I got a verbal thanks from the engineers in PHD, and that's it. I think my command might have let me use it on an eval, but that's about all the use it got me. The fuckers wouldn't even let us test my design :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Under baked sweet potato fries. We didn't have a deep fryer, so I'm not sure how that one got the ok, they were like super salty mush strips, they were so hosed.

• Locked thread