Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

TrialbyStone posted:

Ug.

For future reference ladies and gentlemen, do not conduct inspections of the LM2500 Compressor section by hand; apparently I am not Iron Man, nor do I have the power to slow down a turbine rotor, even at 2 MPH.

Someone I know did something similar. 6 years later and even after he made chief, he was still "rotor brake" guy. That's the type of thing that travels with you because it is hilariously dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Well, finally got my foot operated on to fix some torn ligaments. HM1 told me to expect a medboard around Feb. Not really sure what result I'm hoping for since I need family-style Tricare coverage until mid-2016.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I just took a full battery of painkillers so apologies if I ramble:

For online classes taken full time, you get paid the national average E-5 with dependents BAH divided by 2. Without Googling, I think that's about 700 dollars per month. If you take one physical class, you get full BAH for the zip code of your school.

If your school considers full time to be 12 hours per semester and you take 6, you get 50% of the E-5 BAH rate for your zip code. If you take 5, you get 40%. Tiers of percentage come in blocks of 10%, rounded down.

If you took 1 online class for 3 semester hours at a 12 semester-being-full time school, you'd get 20% of that 700 dollars per month.
If you took 1 physical class for the same, you'd get 20% of the full E-5 with dependents BAH rate for your school.

NOTE: No matter how much money you're getting, you consume benefit time at the same rate. You get 36 months of school paid for. Period. They round up to the end of the semester.. so if you had 2 days of benefits left starting your last semester, they'll still cover the entire last semester.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Christoff posted:

Why couldn't they have broken it down for me like this. Are there colleges where 12 units isn't the regular full time? Vocational schools I guess?

So you only need one physical class to couple with the online courses for full benefits? Nice.

So even if you take, say, one class. That whole semester still counts towards your 36 months?

Yes.

Christoff posted:

Is summer time benefits requirements different? Because classes are the same amount of units but obviously condensed at a much faster and difficult pace. I know if you do no college on break you don't get anything.

Typically, yes. My college requires 6 hours for summer, 12 hours for fall/spring to be full time.

Christoff posted:

Should I just fill the last 4 with some bs classes like yoga or what?

Maybe. By the letter of the law, it has to be on your degree plan for it to count. My school is strict and will absolutely not let me count non-degree path classes towards full time under GI bill. If your school is less strict, they might let it slide. That being said, they'll be screwed if they get audited.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Christoff posted:

Yeah I know I meant just to pad the extra units for full BAH

Technically, they're not allowed to let you pad with extra classes.

Example: I am required to take physics 1 and 2. If I just really loved physics and wanted to take physics 3, the school is technically not allowed to let that count towards my enrollment percentage for GI bill full time status and can't technically have the GI bill pay for it.

Also, despite my school being "military friendly" they refuse to accept "credits" from the military.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

No, "the military is not an accredited institution" meant that they accepted 0 credits, period.

cult_hero posted:

Quick correction, but you need to take at least more than half time (7 credit hours of a 12 credit load) in order to receive the BAH. Less than full time and it is reduced as mentioned. Full online courses result in half of the national average, reduced accordingly with your rate of pursuit. Bottom line, take at least more than half time and at least one in person class.

gently caress, seriously?

Now that you mention it, that sounds familiar...

That seriously screws me a bit because my last semester of college only has 6 semester hours planned since I frontloaded so much trying to graduate early. Now I'm going to have to see if I can figure out a way to get that BAH money somehow..

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I dont think that'd work. I go to a very small engineering school. If I tried to do that, my dept head would probably come find me to ask wtf.

I was thinking about trying to do something with grad school instead. Maybe see if they'll let me take classes there while finishing up my last semester of undergrad or something... or maybe take an extra math class as a "prereq for grad school" or something...

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

MancXVI posted:

If you graduate in ten days then a page 13 is basically toilet paper. I can't offer real advice, though.

Signing a counseling chit (which is what it sounds like) starts the paperwork trail so that eventually they can take you to mast with a legitimate case. The more paperwork you have on someone, the better the chance that the CO agrees.

When I had problem children, I'd do the formal counseling thing and inform them that this was the first step down a road that led to mast. Usually that would straighten them out and the paperwork would disappear when they transferred.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

The GI bill allows you to change your path in life to whatever you want. You could start on your new path now... or wait 2 years. The 45k you'll probably get after taxes will make you more comfortable but that has to be compared against how unhappy the military will make you in the meantime.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Half up front, the rest you get evenly distributed once per year for the remainder of time on your contract that you're reenlisting for. I believed it's paid on your Navyversery day.

If you later extend, then it ends on the same day it would have prior to signing the extension. It doesn't get recalculated.

Note: This is the best my fuzzy memory could produce. I'd check with Personnel if you want a 100% certain answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Dear Livejournal,

Back in December, I got injured during Reserves unit PT. The Navy had me heal for a month then do 6 months of physical therapy before finally letting me get an MRI. I guess they don't mind wasting physical therapy money but do mind paying for an MRI. The MRI showed that, yup, I definitely tore something and that I'd need surgery

Fast forward to today:
I just got my cast removed after getting 2 torn ligaments reattached. The doctor said that there was a ton of scar tissue that he had to cut out which made the surgery last 3 hours instead of 45 minutes.

With that, I give you the end result...
:nms:
http://imgur.com/Kh3iTgE
:nms:

I get to wear a boot/crutches for about 6 more weeks then back to physical therapy. Woo.

I'm supposed to have a med board sometime in February to figure out what to do with me. I've been told as long as there are no complications, I'll probably be kept around. I'm on educational leave of absence from an engineering company until next summer while I finish up my BSEE. Since I'm going to work there again next summer, they kept me on the inactive payroll so I keep my benefits for about 85 more days. That means I still need to stay in the Reserves at least until I graduate and can get full time benefits.

Overall, my unit and NOSC have both been extremely supportive, going to far as to regularly call me to check on me and even coming over to help me move stuff. Can't really complain about anything except for having to wait forever to get an MRI... and the prospect that I'll have to worry about a medical separation that may not have sufficient benefits to make ends meet.

• Locked thread