Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Don't think so I don't remember a command check-in weigh in but I'm sure I did it I just forgot. You're *supposed* to be exempt for 3 months after you check in somewhere from a pfa and I did get out of one this way and also had to run one a couple weeks after I checked in. I think I heard this rule went away but not sure

But here they just ask us for our height/weight so heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I always thought the rampant prostitution and such in port was a thing of the past and I joined a "new" Navy considering how much they talked about it and how bad it is "not in today's Navy!" blah blah

boy was I ever wrong

did hear a story from a friend that NCIS or whomever were doing some "sting" operation in a foreign and his buddy got caught and he was his libbo buddy so he got NJP'd too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I thought with them hammering down on, well, everything and constantly busting people for mundane minor poo poo it'd be tame. Nope. Aside from fights and poo poo I don't think I saw anyone really get in trouble.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, makes sense. You guys ever see people busted for :siren: HUMAN TRAFFICKING :siren:

gently caress even Israel though :shrug: and not that I cared to know but I heard Oman too if you knew who to ask. Which makes sense since Salalah is a pretty big port.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Huh

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Haha what the hell. I took off for 17 days of leave about 2 months ago and it's still pending approval. No one has even approved yet. Now I have 81 days or something, gently caress. I get out soon do I stay hush hush or what?

Even with 30 days terminal I'm going to have a lot of leave to burn. At this point going to have to sell some back because the green weenie is still in my rear end at work. Hassle just trying to schedule TRS next week

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I don't know how there might have been oversight and we were told all leave got approved so I just took off. I'll probably say something just so it doesn't come back and bite me later. But my LPO is pretty much swapped out as of now can you submit leave for a past date?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Also obviously depends on your chain of command and work place. Some work you like a dog until your last days. Some people get away doing jack poo poo the last 3-6 months of their enlistment. I knew a guy that dropped his pack like 7 months out and was completely worthless but he was buddies with the chief and LPO. Pissed us the gently caress off.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hey man 1-2 months before your EAS then by all means. I don't expect anything. But like 6 months lol

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yo Djibouti is Disneyland. It's hot as gently caress and sucks but it's as good as it can get. There's wifi everywhere and A/C. If you're actually stationed there you can get your own wifi with your roommates. Nice gym, pool, and loving amazing chow hall. It has every amenity you'd need honestly. Alcohol, too.

gently caress you can probably take online courses there and they probably do college courses too

I wouldn't be surprised if they even do TRS/TAPS there.

You'll be banking cash because there's not really any liberty there. Off base is usually restricted but if not you can go out in groups of 5 I think.

Seriously I can't overstate how it pretty much has everything

Medical there is probably the nicest clinic I've seen. They're really helpful and super nice. There's dental as well. It's just a clinic if there's something major I think they send you to the French hospital there or Kuwait. If you didn't already know it's a Navy/French base. There's a flight line that divides the bases. You won't ever go to the French side. We did some training with them so we went there and got poo poo faced at their bar with them. Tons of foreign Military and every branch is doing something there. It's a Navy base but they're probably the ones you'll see the least of. Lots of high speed folk too (SEAL, etc)

Oh you also get hazardous duty/combat/whatever pay. Eating steak/lobster while people starve to death right outside the gates

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 11, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just hit on the hot Italian and Air Force chicks at the crossfit workouts

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah definitely recruiter bullshit but they can be pretty picky these days, no?

And yeah whatever is available at MEPS changes daily pretty much. So whichever way the wind is blowing that day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

"Go undesignated because then you can see all the jobs first hand and decide which one is right for you!"

Haha I remember towards the end of boot camp all the kids freaking out asking why they couldn't change their rate in boot camp like their recruiter told them. Or the ones that didn't know they signed up for needs of the Navy

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Moderator scum Mr. Nice somehow survived enlisting as an undes. He's one of the few.

It seems like with undesignated folk it's a vicious cycle of NJPs or they become an HM

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Wokrider posted:

Anyone know a HM SF?
I've got my HM contract and I head to boot in september, I'm trying to get more information on how getting into SF pipeline at HM A School works.

Little late but here we go. A lot has been covered but I'll just type a bunch of poo poo anyways

You can't get anything in your contract but HM. FMF is no guarantee. When you go to a-school a guy who never did anything Recon related or whatever he's advertising will come talk to you about the different programs. If you want to do recon you have to go to the screener early on (hope you can swim). From there you switch classes and workout a lot in that group. That only guarantees you orders to FMTB. From there another guy will come and talk to everyone (This guy is actually a SARC) and will show you some videos with Drowning Pool playing over them. From there you'll screen again. Usually there will be more people screening than slots available. If there's 5 slots and 5 people have a better score than you you're not going. You're going to fail the swim. Calling it now. (FWIW I screened and failed the swim. If you weren't in the program in a-school you're probably going to fail the swim)

If you're on west coast you'll finish FMTB and then some SARC Chief will come pick you up at graduation and drive you to the North part of Pendleton to SOI where BRC is. From there I think you're in a "pre BRC" type of program for 2-3 months where you work out a lot with the other Corpsmen that are going to do BRC. The Marines are doing their own thing at this point I think and once you actually start BRC you'll be with the Marines. Oh yeah the Chiefs and everyone else in charge of the program will take one look at you and your demeanor when you arrive and decide who they like and don't like. From there they'll haze you until you quit which usually lasts about 2-3 weeks. I think of the 5 guys I knew 1 made it. I think the attrition rate is worst than BUDS. It's bad. Which is odd because they're always desperate for SARCs

What I'm trying to say is even if you get through all that you're not going to make it through the program. Sorry.

I worked closely with a SARC for a while and talked to him a lot about all of this. The community is really hosed up. It's so bad that he had potential plans to join the Army and go Army SF/green beret/whatever. I repeat, he was willing to join another branch and go through another 2 year pipeline. A SARC can go Recon or MARSOC which is cool high speed SOCOM poo poo whatever whatever but you'll probably just end up going to a Recon platoon and going on MEUs for your whole enlistment hating life and trying to be belligerent and OFP like Special Forces dudes but still get sucked into USMC bullshit and lack of funding.

You can also be "homegrown" where if you're greenside you can still try to go SARC. You'll transfer to their BAS (medical clinic) and work there and they'll send you to the different schools in the pipeline. They have to really really like you. You can also try to do it when you PCS (transfer duty stations) from a blueside command. You'll have had to have done the screener and all the other paperwork and bullshit.

There's also SEALs. They used to have Corpsmen that would go through the SEAL pipeline and keep their rating as HM but now everyone is an SO. Now they have team medics or something I'm not sure but last I heard they're bringing it back to how it used to be. Where a Corpsman would serve as the "medic" for a SEAL team or w/e but you still probably lose your rating.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 12, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

isn't that navyadvancement.txt ?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah but who makes it to e-6 without at least 3-4 NAMs already?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Come to think of it does anyone not opt for the post 9/11

I'm not even out yet but I know dudes making like $5k a month with BAH, unemployment, VA comp state benefits etc

I didn't get any bonus when I enlisted but I did get the Navy college kicker fund which is what an extra $200/week for nothing?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 13, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Isn't Montana kind of a hidden gem? I really want to visit some day and I'm not even sure why. Family friend moved there and absolutely loves it and talks about it a lot when she visits. Heard the snowboarding/skiing is pretty good. Winters sound pretty rough, though.

Guess if you like hunting, mountains, lakes, outdoors poo poo, etc

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It's called TRS now. (Doing it this week) Just take 3 weeks and sell back that 1 week for when you'll be at TRS?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Some a-schools won't even let you have a car unless you're a fleet returnee

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I think if you have a set DEP date and you don't go (you don't have to, mind you) you're barred from joining that branch anymore.

You can switch in DEP after you already choose a rate but it's highly unlikely and nothing you should count on. If you go to DEP and don't pick your rate because it's not open the recruiter will probably be pissed but I can only assume they'll take you down at another date. But whether they want to hassle with it or not is on them. They'll tell you before you go "just pick a rate, anything! You can change it later." And like I said possible but highly unlikely. In boot camp? Hahah.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just buy one honestly. Dealership AT LEAST 80+ miles away from base or craigslist. Unless you plan on going overseas.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

They're going to pay you to move back to California anyways so you get a free road trip!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well not 100% sure on reserve poo poo. But yeah the Military pays for you to PCS (change commands) and when you EAS. My a school you couldn't own a car so they just bought everyone a ticket and sent you on your way. Again not sure about reservist but I assume they'd pay you to PCS and you almost always make money on it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Mid rats ruled and was usually the best meal of the day (albeit fried terrible for you poo poo) and got you swole or fat because you actually got seconds. Most the time the frozen yogurt machine was running too :kiddo:

surface.txt

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

You can get full GI bill if you do at least some actual classes. It just depends on the school really. Same with how many units is considered full time for full BAH.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Why couldn't they have broken it down for me like this. Are there colleges where 12 units isn't the regular full time? Vocational schools I guess?

So you only need one physical class to couple with the online courses for full benefits? Nice.

So even if you take, say, one class. That whole semester still counts towards your 36 months?

Is summer time benefits requirements different? Because classes are the same amount of units but obviously condensed at a much faster and difficult pace. I know if you do no college on break you don't get anything.

Say I need 2 difficult science classes that come to 8 units as pre reqs. I did pretty much all the other general ed before i joined Should I just fill the last 4 with some bs classes like yoga or what?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I know I meant just to pad the extra units for full BAH

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hey spend 2 years at Lemoore

Or Fallon, China Lake, El Centro, Yuma etc

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, the two big options for my next tour are Norfolk and Fallon. It's a tough choice.

There's a single spot at Lemoore too which is way, way, waaaaaaay at the bottom of the wish list. At least with Fallon you can drive an hour and be in Reno, an hour and a half and be in Tahoe. Drive an hour and a half from Lemoore and you're still in the middle of cow poo poo valley.

To be honest if you even slightly like the outdoors, weekend excursions, and exploring all California has to offer Lemoore isn't that bad. No traffic small town feel etc. If you want a lovely commute Visalia is surprisingly nice.

Some people loving love Lemoore and I'm convinced it has the highest rate of retirees in that city per capita compared to any other base.

Seriously it does suck but if you like being active it's not a bad choice. Better than Fallon IMO. I didn't take full advantage of it but I was also too busy looking at the bottom of a bottle and complaining. I did go home twice a month though.

Seriously though as we said "close to nothing but near everything"

Sequoias is a little over an hour away. Yosemite about 2. San Francisco 3, San Luis Obispo and that coastal area about 2 1/2, LA 3, Fresno an hour (if for whatever reason you want to go there)

There's also a little hidden gem an hour east of Fresno called Huntington Lake which is also where the small ski resort China Peak is. Me and my buddy had seasons passes there one year. Pretty fun. Kings Canyon is another Yosemite type place and a hidden gem to most

Well that's my spiel

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 18, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Can you not stand up? Also caffeine pills

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lol jfc you guys have never fallen asleep during a powerpoint

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Once had an instructor that wouldn't let us stand up. But got pissed as gently caress if people fell asleep. We were extremely sleep deprived, A/C was broken, and room was about 95 degrees.

Then they got mad at people slanging caffeine pills :shrug:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

"If you don't volunteer and go to college on sea duty you're getting a P. University of Phoenix has month long courses" :chiefsay:

loving :lol:

Every person I've seen that tried to take real college courses had to drop the classes. Something about being gone for 5-21 days at a time without Internet

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 30, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Enlisted love bragging about all the degrees they got while enlisted through lovely diploma mills no one recognizes

Guess your eval/chain of command doesn't care though because that's where they got theirs

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I have an Army friend that is/was going to a vocational type tech school for electrician, plumbing, etc. He said most the students are vets. Anyways apparently something happened and now it's no longer going to be covered and they're losing something like 400 students.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Not sure what happened. poo poo, he's been there for almost 2 years? He's pretty much done and already working. Got a ton of certs already. Was just taking some night classes and such probably to still get some more fun bux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Obviously it depends on the rate. Being in one that's very hard to promote in part of the :chiefsay: speech I posted above was yeah you're pretty much not getting looked at for chief boards unless you have a degree. I don't find It hard to believe because he had just talked to the CMC etc and evals are all about car washes and selling cupcakes. And by that time I'm sure all the e-6s have 2 BAs from some diploma mill. At least the ones dumb enough to do 20

But seriously he's loving obsessed with volunteering. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing but he's talking about dumb poo poo like handing out drinks at a iron man or triathlon or some poo poo. Also hard to do on sea duty.

Meh I'm out soon gently caress it. I do plan on volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters at some point as a civilian

• Locked thread