Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

orange juche posted:

and am working on my CISSP cert.

I don't have plat because I have been banned too many times to care, but I do have my CISSP and used to teach the bootcamps. If you want help getting a voucher thru Navy COOL (or general CISSP cool-guy advice) let me know, and I'll give you my email. Also, if interested I have some sexcellent SANS courses (books scanned) to recommended (whether or not you get the cert is irrelevant, the courses themselves are 10000%x*10 than the gay poo poo the Navy will put you thru).

buttplug fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

lol at anyone who gives a poo poo about a+ net+ and sec+. I don't even list mine on my resume. CISSP is legit though. At the end of the day (ie when you get out) CTNs have more money waiting on them with big boy jobs while IT folks are stuck doing helpdesk poo poo the rest of their lives. CTN SUPREMACY

LOL. You can come down now out of your ivory tower. In the real world CTNs are not that much better off than an IT. You push buttons on tools written by other people. You're barely qualified to run wireshark in most cases, and dudes who no-poo poo know what they're doing are the exception, who have acquired that kind of knowledge on their own - not from the Navy.

And seriously, nobody gives a gently caress about certs except the DoD. Sec+ is absolute bare minimum to even look at a computer, CISSP will get your foot in the door for more managerial poo poo (it is not a technical cert).

buttplug fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 3, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

There were issues with all of the khakis onboard.

Well, like what specifically? I read the IG report, and I've followed what everybody had to say on Sailorbob...but the IG report left a *lot* of things unanswered that SB questioned.

1) Where the gently caress was the Chief's mess/CMC?
2) Where the gently caress was the rest of the wardroom. I get that your average DIVO (1st or 2nd tour) might not have truly appreciated WTF was going on, or been to terrified as young DIVOs to say anything...but what about the LDOs and the Department Heads? The gently caress were they doing during all of this? And really, "enjoying their enhanced sense of power" or however you put it seems like a bullshit cop-out. Maybe one or two of them got off and the added autonomy they fell into, but the rest of them had to be thinking "what the gently caress is going on?" How did not one of them say anything? Even if it was just mentioning it to a spouse, someone on another ship, etc.
3) ISIC, how the gently caress did ISIC not take issue with the ship not having a qualified XO for so long?
4) In the same vein, how did PERS raise the red flag when the ship went without an XO for so long (coordinated move on the CO's part? even so, some paper-pusher at Millington had to have noticed)
4) The admiral that was onboard for a period of time (I don't remember how long?) he even commented that it was weird that the CO was in his in-port cabin as opposed to his at-sea cabin. Fair enough, if he thought something was fishy, why wouldn't he have hit up ISIC or CSG or whomever?

I'm not superstitious, but frankly I think that ship is cursed. I was in Yoko when Graf was CO of COWPENS and I knew people on that ship...it literally had *the* worst retention rate in the entire Navy in 2010-2011... I heard stories of Chiefs and JOs - grown-rear end men, breaking down into tears after been harassed/assaulted by Graf. She seriously left an indelible mark on that ship. Also, why was it allowed be independently deploy so soon after a port-swap?

That CO and CHENG were hosed up, but a LOT of other people were completely hosed up as well to allow something like that to happen.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 8, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

He said he did talk to the O recruiter but was turned down for GPA reasons.

Bullshit. I know officers with sub-3.0 GPAs who fly F/A-18s. Fact.

GPA is only *one* factor in an OCS application, of many.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

gently caress yeah. Pizza and wings night is great. It's nice to be able to sit back, watch some college football, and crush some pizza and wings.

Don't forget the O'Douhls!

Vriess posted:

Yes. PERL is no longer taught at JCAC. CTNs are still tested on it for advancement however.

I am a big fan of Perl, personally, but you will find that most things CTNs will encounter these days tool-wise will be Python (or a similar scripting language).. Perl is a dying breed is most of those circles. The absolute biggest take-away that you can get from Perl as a CTN is learning regex inside and out.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 18, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Stop playing WoW all night, get 7-8hrs, take some hydroxycut in the AM, drink a large black coffee, take more hydroxycut at lunch, and you'll be in beast-mode until about 7-7:30.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Vriess posted:

A single dose of thermogenics usually has be wired for the next eight hours. I'll take it at 9-10am and be good for the rest of the day. That and hydration.

Ahh yea, I forgot that tidbit. Drink a shitload of cold water. It will boost your metabolism, and having all that water on your bladder will make you uncomfortable, meaning your body won't want to fall asleep as much and you'll be taking leaks quite often so you'll be up and moving around.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

I'm in a field I like, and any civilian job I take will be similar. I'd like to do more programming, and get advanced training in it, which is what I want out of the GI bill. How does SRB work? I've heard you get half up front and the rest distributed.

You still have my email address? Email me, I have a pretty good suggestion for you, potentially.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

Hypothetically, is it legal for an active duty member of the military to build/make something and then try to sell it to the service, or is that against some sort of contracting rule?

It's legal to an extent. It's called a MILCAP package. Guy I went through OCS with was a prior AT who, through some magic, actually refined the fabrication process of some specific F-18 part (like whatever he did cut the cost of production of that piece of gear almost in half) and the Navy gave him like 5k in cash (yea, that's all).

Most people who develop stuff while in the military don't sell it back to the gov't. I work with a lot of folks who have developed programming-type stuff that they keep to themselves until they get out, then cash in on. The government is never, ever going to give you a good deal money-wise on anything you sell to them.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

bengy81 posted:

I'm impressed that dude was able to get 5k out of Uncle Sam.

I came up with a modification for a part on our cooling skids to make it more functional, and I got a verbal thanks from the engineers in PHD, and that's it. I think my command might have let me use it on an eval, but that's about all the use it got me. The fuckers wouldn't even let us test my design :saddowns:

My recollection is hazy because he told me this like..6 year ago...but it took him several (like 2 years?) to hear anything back, and then another year or so to get the cash. But still, considering what he did, 5k is loving peanuts and not worth it.

Personally, any ideas I've had I've developed on my own time, outside of working hours on my personal boxes, never on government computers/resources/time. I would never attempt to sell any of my ideas to the government. If they were marketable enough I'd pursue other avenues unless they had a no-poo poo legitimate mission impact in the immediate future. If it was just a "good idea" I'd keep it to myself until they timing was right.

This is a similar situation that a lot of folks in academia encounter. They'll come up with incredible ideas or inventions, only to have the university/institution they're employed by throw an NDA their way and claim IP rights, typically because most of their research/development was done on resources provided by said institution/entity. I had professors in college who came up with revolutionary ideas only to have them essentially stolen out from under them by their respective university.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Schlabbalabba posted:

Highlight was the free child care of like two dozen kids by three or four chief selectees.

Those poor fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
IIRC MCPON Terry Scott tried to make it mandatory for all Master Chiefs to have master's degrees... Didn't exactly work out too well...

buttplug fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 31, 2014

• Locked thread