Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Snowdens Secret posted:

All the good and competent astronauts are Navy.

You must be referring to Lisa Nowak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Mr. Nice! posted:

Before I got into the meat of the story because of the paywall, all I could see was discussion about the captain being holed up for the better half of deployment. That happened on my last deployment as well, but for slightly different reasons. The whole time, though, ISIC was fully aware. Dude was just plain sick. He would still come to all nav details and meetings. He might be in PT gear and go back down after he was sure the XO/Ops had it, but he never missed anything. The XO was taking over command in a couple of months anyways, so it worked out fine. He actually chaired my OOD board because the skipper was ill. He didn't have any officers making his bed or cooking him meals, though.

Like you said, different reasons and all, but I just can't imagine a ship doing UNREPs with the CO in his rack and no XO on the bridge. That isn't a shot at the JOs on the ship since they managed to get it done without crashing or killing people, but if he is so incapacitated that he can't even make it to the bridge for that he should have told the ISIC. There is some other stuff that my coworkers saw when they went to the ship for an FTA that sounded at the time hard to believe, but now it makes sense.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

TrialbyStone posted:

I plan on stopping my TSP deduction as well, because I fail to find a point in keeping it going if i'll be separating within 2 years time anyhow.

Don't do that. You don't know what's going to happen in two years and there is a good chance you'll reenlist even though you're saying no way to that idea right now. If you EAOS, you will have to stop contributions at that point unless you go USCS, but until then you really should take advantage of what the TSP offers you in terms of your future retirement. If you aren't making maximum contributions to it and contributing to some kind of IRA as well, you are doing it wrong.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
To quote a civilian friend that has no clue about the military "Sounds like those guys (the wardroom) tried to make the best of poo poo sandwich. And succeeded." Also "
Destiny Savage is a stripper name."

Not sure which is a better quote.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

ManMythLegend posted:

It's been a long time since I've had opportunity to say it, but gently caress Norfolk.

What is so bad about Norfolk? I was never stationed there, but it is possible I'll end up there in a civilian capacity.

• Locked thread