Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Schlabbalabba posted:

In case you were curious: navy still sucks and I hate my life.

When you crossrated you should have gone CTN. No sea duty. Desk job. Easy livin. Also chief numbers are at 60% advance and are probably going up next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
But all the CTNs are getting out with fat stack contractor jobs so advancement is insane-o high. 2nd class is basically 100%, first class is close enough that if you aren't a piece of poo poo you will make it, and chief is in the realm of "tryhard". IT and LN are nice desk job rates but that advancement just isn't there.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

orange juche posted:

I browse somethingawfuldotcom forums at work pretty much all day, and when I have to do anything at all it is basically 10 minutes to show someone how to open their email or some dumb poo poo, or 20 minutes for a crypto change once a month. Excellent use of taxpayer dollars IMO. I got my A+, Net+, Security+ (Everyone who works with computers should have those three, bare minimum), and am working on my CISSP cert.

It's not a challenging job whatsoever, but on the other hand I make the same money as a CTN at the end of the day anyways.

lol at anyone who gives a poo poo about a+ net+ and sec+. I don't even list mine on my resume. CISSP is legit though. At the end of the day (ie when you get out) CTNs have more money waiting on them with big boy jobs while IT folks are stuck doing helpdesk poo poo the rest of their lives. CTN SUPREMACY

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

buttplug posted:

LOL. You can come down now out of your ivory tower. In the real world CTNs are not that much better off than an IT. You push buttons on tools written by other people. You're barely qualified to run wireshark in most cases, and dudes who no-poo poo know what they're doing are the exception, who have acquired that kind of knowledge on their own - not from the Navy.

And seriously, nobody gives a gently caress about certs except the DoD. Sec+ is absolute bare minimum to even look at a computer, CISSP will get your foot in the door for more managerial poo poo (it is not a technical cert).

To be honest I didn't work at a big CT command and the people I did work with were very smart. I actually did write some tools that people pushed the button on. I was just in on the ground floor when there were very few of us and I got out when the gettin out was good.

I guess what I'm saying is your time in the navy is what you make of it but a CT* has a leg up on most folks.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I pulled the few thousand i had in tsp and paid for some new floors for my house. The reason I don't give a poo poo is I save 750 a month right into savings and another 1000 into my work 401k. People were like, ooooooh don't do that, you are getting raped on taxes, but it was money that I could use at the time and the paperwork to withdraw it was a lot easier than the paperwork to transfer to my 401k.

Basically my laziness got me some floors.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
The only thing you need to know about the navy is that at some point in your officer career you are part of the JO jungle.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
NOT GAY

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
no balls

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Fuckin beans and weens! I loved that poo poo. Also on the boat we had fresh baked bread every night so the pb&j sandwiches were awesome because you'd have nice fresh bread. Midrats were pretty cool.

Fresh bread can make even chicken wheels taste good.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

Did they finally replace the pearl module in programming with python?

Curriculum is totally different now. For a bit it was programming 1 was half python half c, then programming 2 was perl. Nowadays its 1 - c++, and 2 - python, but they take place 3 months apart.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
poo poo with your quals you could get out with no degree and pull at least 100k a year, then take online classes and get partial bah or whatever.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
When I was finishing my degree part time also gave you partial bah, but it could have changed.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

buttplug posted:

Don't forget the O'Douhls!

I am a big fan of Perl, personally, but you will find that most things CTNs will encounter these days tool-wise will be Python (or a similar scripting language).. Perl is a dying breed is most of those circles. The absolute biggest take-away that you can get from Perl as a CTN is learning regex inside and out.

Perl has the fastest regex implementation and I really love idiomatic nature of the laguage. However, for most people, the language sucks and its implementation of objects is super poo poo. Python uses the same regex syntax, makes more sense, and is easier to use. It's slower, but for 99% of people, python is better.

NERD CHAT

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

KetTarma posted:

Technically, they're not allowed to let you pad with extra classes.

Example: I am required to take physics 1 and 2. If I just really loved physics and wanted to take physics 3, the school is technically not allowed to let that count towards my enrollment percentage for GI bill full time status and can't technically have the GI bill pay for it.

Also, despite my school being "military friendly" they refuse to accept "credits" from the military.

Not even as an elective, which is required for degree? Assuming you have electives left to take.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

Luckily you can also take breaks in semesters without being penalized, right? So if I can't get all the classes I need to go full time I can just not take classes that semester without burning through any GI bill time.

Far as I know, yes.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
New London had a nice little downtown area with some cool shops and restaurants. Just always ride the edge of grooming standards and you look like a guy who likes a short haircut. My wife worked at the community college there so we had friends who weren't military and that helps too.

Groton is still a shithole and I hated every second I lived there.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Stultus Maximus posted:

The sailor's creed is the worst of the armed forces creeds by a long shot.

It's pretty aimless as a whole and makes some pretty weird statements like "and I will obey the orders of those appointed over me" like it's some bold commitment.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
At lastcommand if you found a course you wanted you'd just route a chit through the training PO. If there was money, it was justifiable, and no manning issues. Then again, I don't know how it works for nobles.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

orange juche posted:

Hey any CTNs in this thread or CTN instructors around? I have an ET3 in my shop who is looking at crossrating to CTN and wants to know what to expect.

Instructor here. PM like laranzu said. I guess from a student perspective he has a better word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

DustyNuts posted:

How I remember most cooks I've known in the Navy:

That show fuckin owned

• Locked thread