Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

People like UW's location (as long as you don't mind it being horrifyingly unsafe at times)

Almost completely off topic but I'm curious what you mean by "horrifyingly unsafe at times". Are you talking about the on-campus muggings that happen from time to time/that the U-district is kinda sketchballs, or just that Seattle is a dangerous place? Because I feel like compared to most urban places besides Portland (which is laughably un-urban and getting safer by the day) Seattle is kind of a creampuff. If it's the U-district, I think "horrifyingly unsafe" is pretty hyperbolic.

On topic, if you're thinking data, you could do applied mathematics/quantitative analysis and work in finance, most portfolio managers have some sort of quant/algorithmic strategy going these days that only hires math grads and in most cities they pay insanely well.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

himajinga posted:

On topic, if you're thinking data, you could do applied mathematics/quantitative analysis and work in finance, most portfolio managers have some sort of quant/algorithmic strategy going these days that only hires math grads and in most cities they pay insanely well.

Hmm, this sounds interesting, I'd like to hear more. I remember reading someplace that Quants were popular. Any goons do anything like this or know more about it and and can talk about what it's like?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Heads up but the University of Hawaii has 150% in-state tuition for Washingtonians. I go swimming at the beach before/after stuff I've actually got to do.

Just tossing that out there.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Heads up but the University of Hawaii has 150% in-state tuition for Washingtonians. I go swimming at the beach before/after stuff I've actually got to do.

Just tossing that out there.

That's pretty cool.

One of my biggest complaints about Washington is the weather. The summers are perfect, sunny but not too hot or cold. But during non-summer months the overcast weather can be a bit draining. My doc even said I probably have Seasonal Affective Disorder, (apparently Washington has one of the highest rates of SAD in the country). I was originally considering a UC for the weather but they are a pain to get into, and a lot of people have actually been coming up to UW because they are so impacted down there.

Can you talk more about what UoH is like?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 12, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Can you talk more about what UoH is like?

Ranked somewhere below the university of bumfuck South Dakota unless you're in Linguistics, Oceanography, Geology, Atmospheric Sciences, or Biology. But who gives a poo poo I can surf every day and it's like #1 in my field.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, Stats was/is something I'm looking hard at, as I've heard there's a good amount of demand for it. There's also a lot of overlap with the Stats option in UW ACMS.

What I like about CS is the flexibility. With a little extra work it seems like you can find anything from finance to big data to robotics.

If you like a more applied version of statistics with these same characteristics I suggest Industrial/System Engineering. I can't comment on the quality of any specific program but the degree itself is applicable basically anywhere you have people moving stuff from point A to B or where they're trying to control quality (so literally anything in industry, most things in government, etc).

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Ranked somewhere below the university of bumfuck South Dakota unless you're in Linguistics, Oceanography, Geology, Atmospheric Sciences, or Biology. But who gives a poo poo I can surf every day and it's like #1 in my field.

What field are you studying?

computer parts posted:

If you like a more applied version of statistics with these same characteristics I suggest Industrial/System Engineering. I can't comment on the quality of any specific program but the degree itself is applicable basically anywhere you have people moving stuff from point A to B or where they're trying to control quality (so literally anything in industry, most things in government, etc).

Looks interesting. The only engineering field I considered was Electrical, but wanted to go more towards software. But this is an option to keep an eye on.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

What field are you studying?

I'm an applied volcanologist.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

-Blackadder- posted:

doc even said I probably have Seasonal Affective Disorder, (apparently Washington has one of the highest rates of SAD in the country).

What are these so called seasons, my years revolve around rain time, cold rain time, strange occasional snow day time, and uncomfortable hot time... with rain.

-Blackadder- posted:

As far as campus life goes the consensus seems to be that WSU is generally more beer themed and WWU is generally more weed themed.

It's Washington there will be weed everywhere, I don't smoke and I know far to many stoners and hell my school actually will expel you for smoking weed and they are pretty blatant. (Admittedly this is in Oregon and a Catholic University)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I missed your comment about SAD. Come to Hawaii, you could do worse academically and we've had one overcast day in three months and that was because of a hurricane. And I still went swimming.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
I'm thinking of joining UW Tacoma because of their less stringent admission requirement.

My major will be something business related.

Any thoughts on their Tacoma Campus and general area?

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

-Blackadder- posted:

Interesting, can you expand on this? I actually had an advisor recommend Evergreen to me the other day. He said they have an interesting non-traditional learning environment. Something about being able to create your own degree and that you're graded differently that in traditional classes.

Geoduck CS BS reporting in.

The important thing to know about Evergreen is that it is what you make it. You need to be self-driven and highly motivated to get a CS degree there and actually emerge with marketable skills. Programs are written to give students tons of flexibility to do their own thing, but that also means a lot more responsibility.

Programs at TESC bundle several classes together. For example, one year was a class in Formal Logic, Language Design, Computability and Language Theory, and a seminar (weekly group discussion) about a few different nontechnical books. It was a really hard program.

It's a very small group. The first few years will have some big classes but Evergreen produces less than 30 CS degrees per year.

I would say in general that the TESC CS program focuses more on theory and less on implementing projects. The intro courses are the usual python and java type stuff, but the upper level courses are stuff like language design, formal logic, etc. You'll learn a bunch of insane programming languages that never get used by anyone, like Haskell and Prolog and Curry. You'll have a really good understanding of the decisions language designers make, how they approach different problems and designs, different language paradigms, logical systems, etc.

However, if you want to learn several practical, common programming languages inside and out, and get really good at cranking out real-world projects and build a portfolio of finished stuff to show potential employers, you'll either need to do a lot of work on your own (they call it an Individual Learning Contract), or go somewhere else. The closest TESC gets to this is one class where groups of students do programming projects for community members.

Regarding grading: Some tests are graded but in general there are no grades or GPAs at Evergreen. You get an evaluation from your faculty and you write one for yourself. Your transcript is a pile of evaluations and doesn't come with a GPA. If you slack off or fail to do work, you get bad evals and can lose credit. So for example, if you only do 60% of the work, instead of getting 16 credits with a D grade, you'll get 10 credits and an evaluation that says you suck.

TESC is super super social and Olympia kicks rear end, by the way.

Also, warning: TESC is full of patchouli hippies and social justice warriors who yell at people about pronouns and run around telling white male cis scum to check their privilege and perform candlelight vigils in support of the indigenous peoples of Haida Gwai and put up signs about how penises are symbols of violence and lobby the school to make the cafeterias 100% vegan and organize May Day riots and burn police cars and threaten to sue the school for not giving them stage space to perform their queer studies Disney ripoff play. Hardly a day goes by without an organized walk-out and half the time the activist faculty support and encourage it. It's like that movie PCU but five times as bad, and not a joke. It's a great mix of obnoxious and entertaining, but you can pretty much ignore it because the CS people are in their own little world.

quote:

I'd still like to hear more about the reasoning behind this. I'm not married to CS or anything, honestly.

This has been covered but I just want to add, the main thing to remember is that a CS degree is a degree in programming. Lots of people think "I'm good with computers cause I fix my mom's computer and I built my own gaming rig. I should get a CS degree!"

Unless your primary interest is writing code, get a different degree.

Especially IT work. Administration, networking, management, project management, etc. My mom thinks everyone that works in IT is a computer programmer. (They aren't)

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Programming is not science. A good CS degree also, or even mainly, prepares you to be a scientific researcher in the field of computer science. So, there will be a bunch of theory that you don't necessarily need if you just want to learn some programming languages, though it's probably helpful anyway.

And yeah, IT work is a different thing altogether.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I would check out UW Bothell as well. My understanding is they are placing a lot of grads in good CS type jobs. I went to CWU, liked it and the CS majors I lived with have done pretty well for themselves. It's a small town surrounded by neat things to do outdoors. If you are into hiking/biking/skiing/boarding/whatever CWU or WWU will suit you very nicely. If you need to live in a big city you will hate Ellensburg.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Whitworth University goon here. Motto "No, you're thinking of Whitman." It's very similar to Seattle Pacific University, expensive as hell but small classes and nice people. I don't know a ton about the CS program but friends who went through ended up with good careers. And my off campus rent was $90 or so, and Spokane isn't too bad.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Maksimus54 posted:

I would check out UW Bothell as well.

Everyone I know who went there viewed it as an older-student commuter campus in the vein of Bellevue College. I don't know anyone who is going into the standard university track who I would recommend UWB to, I'd say within Washington the colleges worth mentioning from both an academic and student perspective are WWU, UW, and WSU. Gonzaga is obviously a good school, but it's not nearly good enough to justify living there.

One other thing you WaGoons might not have considered (though why the hell haven't you all applied to Hawaii yet?) is that Canadian out-of-country tuition can be pretty close to in-state in the US. My wife and I went to UVic for a year and it cost her as a non-Canadian not too much, and you get all the fun of living in a different country while still being a 15 minute plane ride from downtown Seattle. Just keep in mind that Canadian education standards for students coming out of high-school are higher, so prepare to have your rear end kicked by your core science/math courses.

Mr Yuck
Jun 5, 2005

She was your regular kinda dame.. Then she put me into a deep beta freeze..

-Blackadder- posted:

WSU is a bit of a drive from where I'm at now, but like said I wouldn't necessarily mind moving. Might be a nice change, actually. It's also interesting that WSU is so close to the border, I hadn't realized that. How did you like U of I, out of curiosity?

Hey, sorry for missing this and for the late reply. I absolutely loved U of I. Our campus is gorgeous with two arboretums within a 15 minute walk of anywhere on campus. I graduated in broadcasting, and while I think it could've been more rigorous, I made the most of it and professors will pay students special attention if they're not just there to snag a quick degree.

It's a good engineering/bio sciences school -- especially for agriculture, but that doesn't seem like it's something you're interested in. My friend graduated in CS and he's now making driverless cars without having to even leave town. The city itself is wonderful and pretty artsy. You say you want to be more social and there are plenty of opportunities if you get into the downtown coffee shop scene. I'm assuming you're not old enough to go to bars, but there are plenty of house parties once you make some friends. There is also a decent sized greek community, though not as robust as WSU.

If you're looking for a more affordable education, UI's out-of-state tuition is cheaper than WSU's in-state tuition and I think it only takes six months to establish Idaho residency if you want a further discount. You'll have plenty of access to outdoor areas if you choose either one. Hiking opportunities are pretty plentiful less than half an hour from either city, good fishing an hour south and you've got your pick of places if hunting is something you like, too. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll make sure to pay more attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Another Greener here (not a CS grad though) and if you can afford it, live off campus after your first year. I love the Evergreen campus, I loved the small class sizes, but holy poo poo it gets super isolating out there at times. Be social, go to parties in the woods, sleep in one of the treehouses, and then get a move off campus and enjoy not being bugged by the campus police. The upside to Olympia is that the cost living is a lot lower than Seattle's so you're a lot more likely to find an apartment for yourself if you don't want roommates (and if you do want roommates it's still way cheaper).

I can't really speak to the structure of CS or BS programs intimately but in general you really need to make sure you stay motivated and driven in your programs. From the humanities side of TESC, I had a lot of people in my classes who initially thought that they could slack off and come into seminar high/drunk/hungover and not having done the work who then got completely hosed over when evaluation time came because they didn't do poo poo. The smaller program sizes mean that your professors will really get a chance to get to work with you and you'll end up having a lot of the same professors. I really liked the format because I was able to form some solid relationships with my professors that have helped a lot in my professional career.

The biggest thing about the SJW types are that for every one who is utterly ridiculous there's someone who doesn't really care that much aside from a "yeah, that sucks. Can I get more weed?". The science programs in general have less of the SJWS overall since they tend to congregate more in strictly humanities oriented programs (and you can usually predict which programs), so you'll most likely be able to avoid the loudest of the bunch unless they decide to expand out and involve the whole campus. For example, one year one of the programs decided to simulate how Palestinians move around in Israel without informing anyone on campus first and then whined because people complained and reported them to the campus cops. Plus the whole car flipping "riot" that happened while I was there. Over all once you find your niche of people, it's really easy to meet other people at Evergreen who aren't basically tumblr come to life.

I'm considering applying to their public administration program once I finish my MSW but I've heard it's a life destroyer.

Tulalip Tulips fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 13, 2014

• Locked thread